Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Fifty Shades of Grey

Okay Romantic Readers, who here has read or heard of this book?

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)  

It is taking the publishing world by storm! For those who don't know, it's the first of an erotic trilogy that was initially self-publishing as Twilight fan fiction. But now it's so popular that Random House scooped up the rights and is releasing the book in April. (You can get it now for your nook - that is what the link above is for.)

So, anybody read this? Any thoughts on why it is so popular? What I keep hearing is that the hero is amazing, but am curious to know what you guys say...

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Here's an EW article about this book:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2012/03/12/fifty-shades-of-grey-a-winning-romance-novel-goes-from-fan-ficti...

Hi Melanie - I've got this in my TBR collection on my e-reader, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Have you read it ? I don't know anyone who has. I expectI'll read it soon....

Anne

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Anne, I don't know anyone who's read it which is why I wondered if any of you guys have. Several people who post to our BN Romance Facebook page were raving about it. I wonder how many of them read other erotica, though.

Contributor
GrkDina31
0 Kudos

WOW WOW WOW is all i can say for this book! I never ever read erotica before but the book is sooo much more then that! i read this book in 2 days... im starting the 2nd book after i post this... i found myself falling in love with this couple from page one.. its an emotional rollercoaster that i love love love... its taking the nation by storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will want to follow this unlikely couple forever.... its sooo romantic( sex scenes arent as kinky as i thought).... GO BUY THIS BOOK :smileyhappy:

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

A number of bloggers I follow read this (including one who reviews for a newspaper) and none were very impressed, sad to say.  Fifty Shades of Gray won't be on my TBR for the time being.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I can't really opine until I read it, but I'm dying to know if it's similar to most erotica that gets published...or if there's something special about the story.

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

I go to heroesandheartbreakers.com snd they have blogged several times about this book and the attention its getting. Im going to read it when it comes out, if no other reason than to see what all the fuss is about

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I'm with you Cheyenne. I want to read out of curiosity!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I've also heard a lot about this novel, but I am not a fan of erotica so I usually try to stay away from it, but all of you also know that I love a HOT romance so if you after you read it think I might like it, let me know.

Contributor
Booknook200TG
0 Kudos

LOVE IT! Currently reading book 2 and it is fabulous! Can't put this series down. You just get drawn into them and keep reading to see what happens next! A definite recommend to my customers!

Contributor
PoeticAnaphora
0 Kudos

I met the author at a Twilight fanfiction panel during Comic-Con 2010. I'm not going to beat a dead horse about it being posted elsewhere first, but I just don't really have any interest in reading a fanfiction story gone printed. What's the point of reading it then? E. L. James was very nice and I have nothing against her, but I won't be reading the series.
Twitter: PoeticAnaphora
Blog: Livejournal
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

they sold film rights for the movie

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Contributor
HollyBushBooks
0 Kudos

I haven't read it but I'm not a fan of Erotica or the Twilight Series so I don't know if I will read it. There was a story about it in our local Sunday paper (Lancaster County, PA) , a very conservative area, and at least 2 of the people interviewed said the books were very badly written, 'riddled with grammatical errors, and groan inducing language.' Another local blogger/writer commented that she thought it was pretty funny that book clubs everywhere are reading it and that that's ironic and amusing considering the current national political debate over women's health issues.

I'll be interested to hear from someone here about these books.

The blogger quoted runs a blog called The Raunch Dilettante.

Holly Bush
www.hollybushbooks.com
@hollybushbooks
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

All I hear is how bad the book is!

Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write

I haven't read the book either; nor do I have a desire to read it.  Several people whose opinions I trust have read it and say it's awful.  I don't mind sex in a book and in fact, rather enjoy it when the rest of the story is good, emotional, well written, etc.  From what I've heard, over and over again, these books are really poorly written.

I'm also confused as to how a series that was once fanfiction has garnered so much support from the traditional publishing world.  And now movies? If they're turning fanfic into regular books - isn't that a form of plagarism? 

There are so many really good not-yet published authors struggling to get noticed and get a publishing deal.  I guess I find it sad that something so poorly written is getting so much attention.  Nothing against the author.  She may be the nicest person in the world but why are these books getting so much attention? Simply because they're somehow related to Twilight? That's so bothersome to me.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Contributor
HollyBushBooks
0 Kudos

It bugs me too. I think the publishing world is in real flux and not doing well to navigate through what may be industry changing technology and a major shift of consumer expectations. I follow some industry bloggers and publications and from what I read, everyone has been talking about the changes as they come but noone has done anything to line up their business model and make the necessary adjustments. Industry execs should have been having discussions and making plans years ago. But instead, I think whoever screams the loudest or has the shiniest bauble gets the prize. "Oooh look! Lot's of people are reading this piece of fan fiction; let's give the author a book & movie deal!"

Holly Bush
www.hollybushbooks.com
@hollybushbooks
Reader 4
nooknookSL
0 Kudos

Sadly, I think a lot of "Indie" authors are snubbed by those who consider themselves editors, critics and reviewers. The Shades Trilogy is a good example.  I have read many nookbooks with a crazy number of grammatical errors, repetition and misspellings, yet they sell well and with very little criticism. That Shades is under the gun for those same mistakes and selling well shows that those are forgivable mistakes in the eyes of readers.  Some feel the need to debase a new, untested author, especially if it is within a genre they don't care for.  And God forbid if it started as "fanfic" because that surely isn't fit for publishing. 

I was a bit uncomfortable with the erotica, but the storyline with it's underlying threads of love, healing and trust really drew me in.  I don't need a book to have won an American Literary award to enjoy it, if a book   keeps me entertained I'm happy. 

Luckily for this author what literary critics say matters little to consumers, and if it's selling well and has a book deal, someone must like it and that someone must have money.

Reader
Bella43
0 Kudos

I have to say it really liked it.  It was recommended to me on goodreads,com.  I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it with Christian's preferences and all but it was handled decently.  The parallels to Edward and Bella will be apparent to Twilight fans, but the plot is nothing like the innocence of Twi-world.  This is definitely an adult read.  It is currently #1 on the NY Times paperback list and has been picked up by a movie company already.  If you are looking for a wholesome romance, this is not it.  If you are looking for a smoking hot romance, check it out.

New User
Meme3VS
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie,

I read the entire trilogy and am still reeling from it.  I've never read anything like it.  It's about so much more than erotica.  I really enjoyed the dynamics of their relationship as it related to trust, sacrifice and intimacy.  Excellent read.  I can't wait to read what James publishes next!