Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Georgette Heyer

I too love Georgette Heyer. In fact I have some paperbacks from the 80s that are barely holding on. She wrote some wonderful books, and it's good to sometimes find her books again in the bookstores. Among my favorites are: Friday's Child, The Grand Sophy, Cotillion, The Reluctant Widow, & Lady of Quality. It's great to "meet" another Heyer fan.

Liz :smileyhappy:

MusicMom wrote:
I read widely but about the only "romance author" I enjoy is Georgette Heyer. Are there any other Heyer fans out there? I've just started reading them again after several years of "abstention" and am finding them as delightful as ever.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
MusicMom
0 Kudos

Re: Georgette Heyer

If you like Lady of Quality have you tried Venetia? Another of my favorites along that line is Black Sheep. Unfortunately I lent my copy and it was never returned and now I can't find it in print to replace it.

Grand Sophy is one of the best. I also reread The Corinthian this year and had forgotten how charming that one is.

Carolyn
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Venetia is among the ones I've read. Her books are extremely difficult to find today, which is a shame since they are excellent. Here's a website for find all things Heyer: http://www.georgette-heyer.com/

MusicMom wrote:
If you like Lady of Quality have you tried Venetia? Another of my favorites along that line is Black Sheep. Unfortunately I lent my copy and it was never returned and now I can't find it in print to replace it.

Grand Sophy is one of the best. I also reread The Corinthian this year and had forgotten how charming that one is.

Carolyn

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
raina
0 Kudos

Hi Liz,
I simply loved Georgette Heyer and Barbara Cartland. Had so many books but mainly borrowd from library.Or exchanged,as was the fashion.
Such a shame you do not get themany more. But then, few read those type of romances these days. I think we are a nostalgic few.I do not read much fiction or romances these days. So I cannot contribute much to the conversation. but it is great to hear there are some good romance books .
Thank you,
Raina.
New User
NinaL
0 Kudos

The British publisher Arrow has republished almost all or maybe all by now of GH's Regency books. The covers are just amazing, from paintings of around the Regency era, makes me want to rebuy the books just to get the covers.
If you liked Heyer's regency romances, you should definitely also try her 1930's detective stories, of which there are a dozen. Arrow has also republished those, they've been out of print for a while. Superintendent Hannasyde is a recurring character in half of them, starting with Behold, Here's Poison.
Finally, the reason why Arrow is my favourite publisher of them all: they republished Jane Aiken Hodge's excellent biography of GH called The Private World of Georgette Heyer. I had been trying to find the book from second-hand bookshops wherever I travelled around Europe and even in the States, but it was sold out (the original came out in 1984) and could not be found.
If you like Regency romances, the ultimate source is Georgette Heyer. From Sir Tristram promising Eustacie to ride ventre à terre to her deathbed in The Talisman Ring to Frederica's Baluchistan hound, they make you laugh and feel good about the world and yourself.
Frequent Contributor
LadyNyteLyte
0 Kudos

I think I still have all of them.

Barbara Cartland and Caroline Courtney also wrote regencies along the same line.

Regencies are hard to find these days and I find the newer ones do not measure up to the ones from the 70's and 80's.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Cartland was quite prolific. I've read quite a lot of her novels and still have a few paperbacks leftover from the 80s along with a couple of Caroline Courtney's. Other popular regency authors that I remember include Joan Smith, Marion Chesney, Laura Matthews, Claudette Williams, and Elizabeth Chater. I have a few of those as well.

LadyNyteLyte wrote:

Barbara Cartland and Caroline Courtney also wrote regencies along the same line.

Regencies are hard to find these days and I find the newer ones do not measure up to the ones from the 70's and 80's.

Liz ♥ ♥

Frequent Contributor
LadyNyteLyte
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
Cartland was quite prolific. I've read quite a lot of her novels and still have a few paperbacks leftover from the 80s along with a couple of Caroline Courtney's. Other popular regency authors that I remember include Joan Smith, Marion Chesney, Laura Matthews, Claudette Williams, and Elizabeth Chater. I have a few of those as well.

LadyNyteLyte wrote:

I had forgotten Laura Matthews and Claudette Williams which were quite enjoyable. Smith, Chesney and Chater seemed more up and down so did not get too much into them. Will really have to go back and reread them now that they have been brought to mind again.
Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

Reviving an old thread -- just wondering if there are any Georgette Heyer fans around now that they are easy to find via Nook.  I've bought a bunch of them at $1.99.  I just finished Francesca which I thought had the best heroine of the ones that I have read so far.  The hero was also quite good though very similar to the Nonesuch hero.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

I have them all.  Tradepaper.  Hardcover first editions.  As well as the eBooks.  She is without a doubt my favorite writer.  I was captured by her words the summer before 6th grade.  My mom had a huge stash of her paperbacks on shelves in the rec room.  I pulled Arabella down, started reading and have kept on reading.  Her work is literature.  It makes you laugh, makes you cry, makes you think, with no dismal endings...If ever I had to chose a hero, it would be Georgette Heyer.

- The Ramblings of Darkkin, the Tedious

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Author
Rose_Lerner
0 Kudos

Georgette Heyer was one of the first romance authors I ever read!  I was already reading Regencies and a friend of mine in 8th grade had a mom who owned all the Heyers, and we read them obsessively.  We even had a set of weird injokes involving quotes and tropes from different books.  My favorite heroine is still The Grand Sophy, have you read her yet?  (If not, I should warn you that there's a very anti-Semitic scene partway through...it didn't ruin the book for me but I know it has for some readers.)  My second-favorite is probably Horry from The Convenient Marriage.  My paperback is falling apart, I should probably buy a new copy...