Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Tracy_1026
0 Kudos

HELP ME FIND GREAT BOOKS PLEASE

I can't remember the last time I had read a book before I read the Twilight series last Christmas.  I enjoyed the story so much I've been reading, on average, two books a week ever since.  Being a stay at home mom of two daughters is tough and reading a great book is my escape from the challenges of everyday.  I've been reading many teen romances because I just really didn't know where else to start, and I enjoy them a lot but feel I need to search for more suitable for my age (29).  I'm not looking for anymore vampire, angel, or demon- creature-like books.  I want more realistic and lotsa love, I'm a sucker for romance!

So.....does anyone have recommendations for me please?  I like feeling the passion and relationship between the characters to the point that I get butterflies.  Know any good books like that?  I've read many Nicholas Sparks too.  I enjoy his books.  I've never read any real erotic or VERY descriptive romances, not sure I would like them or not.

Please help!

Author
MonicaBurns
0 Kudos

Re: HELP ME FIND GREAT BOOKS PLEASE

Tracy,

Do you like historicals? I love Loretta Chase, and in the few spare minutes I have, I'm reading Eloisa James An Affair Before Christmas (think that's the title - it in another room). If you like contemps, try Lori Foster, she's hot, but not overly graphic. I've heard that Lisa Kleypas's contemps are good, and I LOVE Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Try Ain't She Sweet. It has the most incredible heroine. You start out hating Sugar Beth and by the end of the book, you're like a mother hen with her. It's an incredible story.

Monica Burns | http://www.monicaburns.com
Pleasure Me - 03/11 - Berkley Sensation
Assassin's Heart - 09/10 - Berkley Sensation

Author
Rose_Lerner
0 Kudos

Have you tried Jennifer Crusie?  She is my #1 favorite author of contemporary romances (as opposed to historicals) and boy, can she give you butterflies with the chemistry between her leads!  I started with

Welcome to Temptation and it's still my favorite, but I've read almost all her books and loved them all.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Tracy - Welcome to B&N Book Clubs. You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above. If you like a little humor, try Janet Evanovich - she has a series that starts with One for the Money and goes from there. Also, I discovered Susan Wiggs - she has a series called The Lakeshore Chronicles - great characters, romance and good story. It starts with Summer at Willow Lake. Again, welcome and come back and let us know what you decide to try...

Anne

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum Series #1) 

Summer at Willow Lake 

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

Hi Tracy! To anyone and everyone I recommend Julie Garwood. She always delivers. Both contemporary and Historical.

Heartbreaker Try this one, it is an excellent book. (I might go back and read it myself)

If you would like to try Historical romance I would give Brenda Joyce a try with her De Warrene Dynasty Series.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

There is a cute series by lori wilde that isnt overly graphic

The Sweethearts' Knitting Club 

The True Love Quilting Club  

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
JalMor77
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Robin Carr's Virgin River Series is AWESOME!

http://www.robyncarr.com/booklist.html

Susan Wiggs Lakeshore Chronicles is wonderful as well!

Also, Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs.

I love Susan Mallery and Lisa Kleypas.

We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh. - Agnes Repplier
0 Kudos

Hi Tracy!

I took a peek at my keeper shelf and perhaps you'd like to try a book that many of us here fell in love with

Outlander (Outlander Series #1) 

For contemporary romance, might I suggest:

Phantom Waltz (Kendrick-Coulter-Harringan Series #2) 

For romantic suspense you might try:

Dark Deceptions 

For Historical romance you might try:

Wild Child 

or you might enjoy:

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

If you like a little romance and such, but not the hot and bothered kind, try Isabel Wolff. She is an enjoyable writer, mixed in with some romance, and always has a pet in the story too. :smileyhappy:

The Trials of Tiffany Trott 

Making Minty Malone  

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Contributor
RosemaryScarlett
0 Kudos

Hi Tracy,

I know this is a little late but its better then never. There are so many good books out there that are perfect for you. You just need to browse (when you have the time, of course :smileyhappy: ) but if you don't and just want a quick look, I have a few suggestiosn to add to everyone elses.

If you like taking a step back-in-time, try a Historical.

Some recommendations that are my favorites and I have read them over and over again:

"A Courtesan's Scandal" by Julia London

"Seduced at Midnight" by Jacquie D'Alessandro

"Tempted at Midnight"

-----Any Brenda Joyce. I love her writing. She takes me back in time every time. :smileyhappy:

I would recommend "The DeWarren Dynasty." Start with "The Prize." That one, I believe is the best. I had jumped around with this series. The next one I read was "A Lady at Last." That one is good and has a little bit of pirate status in that one.

-----The Legend of the Four Soldiers Series by Elizabeth Hoyt (The best thing about this Series, is that you can start in the middle like I did with the beast one, and then read all of them. You'll never be lost). 

"To Taste Temptation"

"To Seduce a Sinner"

"To Bequile a Beast"

"To Desire a Devil"

----

My first romance was an Amanda Quick back in 1997. I was 10 years old. It was called "Mistress." She has made me obsessed ever since. So she always has good stories to tell.

If you are craving pirates and sorry I don't mean Johnny Depp, although he is optional :smileywink: I recommend:

"A Pirate's Pleasure" by Heather Graham.

"A Pirate's Love" by Johanna Lindsey

"Pleasuring the Pirate" by Emily Bryan.

That is a lot of reading and a bit of a large list, but they are good ones, in my opinion. There are so many more books out there. You just have to find the right sub-genre of Romance for yourself. Mine is any Historical Romance. Others are more contemporary. Some like the paranormal. When you have the time, browse through your local Barnes and Noble or even on the web. You'll always find something you'll like.

Good Luck and Happy Reading :smileyhappy:

Sasha

Contributor
reads_like_CRAZY
0 Kudos

LOVED just breathe by susan wiggs!!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

reads_like_CRAZY wrote:

LOVED just breathe by susan wiggs!!!

Just Breathe is our feature read for the General Fiction club this month, come on over and talk about it with us. Everyone's welcome here's a link http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/bd-p/FictGeneral

New User
Missy-the-bookworm
0 Kudos

Hiya Tracy! I, too, am a sucker for romance. I have slightly differing tastes than the other posters, though basically because I haven't read the same books they have. The most romantic book ever written has to be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (slow but beautiful and so worth the time!).

A more traditional modern romance I adore and re-read often is Remembrance by Jude Deveraux (though I devour most of her books and always fall in love with the hero). Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson held me hostage and moved beyond all my expectations; most anything by Nicholas Sparks (try Dear John for a subjective happy ending and The Wedding for a more obvious one). And if you like the typical summer "chick lit" I enjoyed The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne. By the way, also adored the Twilight series...read them all in just over seven days.

Contributor
JessicaB
0 Kudos

I would definitely second, or third, the Outlander series. Excellent books. I've read every one in the series and I'm dying for more!

Outlander (Outlander Series #1)

New User
daisyf717
0 Kudos

two years ago i read twilight and thats exactly what got me into romances too!  now, after i swear a million books, i have to say that i love

• lisa kleypas and anything she writes (contemp or historical)
  • gayle callen (and Julia Latham -- really gayle callen)
  • Kathryn Caskie
  • Kathryn Ranney
  • Loretta Chase
  • Adele Ashworth
  • Connie Mason
  • Candace Camp!!!

hope this helps :smileyhappy:  by the way i could go on, but figured i should stop somewhere...

New User
quiettimeJH
0 Kudos

Try Diana Gabaldon outlander series, I know they seem to be thick but once you start reading you just want it to continue.

Reader 4
krmjo
0 Kudos

A good one for me if you like butterflies is The Flame and the Flower. A sequel to that is The Elusive Flame. Kathleen Woodiwiss did a great job of building the stories. I also loved Shanna by her.

Inspired Contributor
Amiee_Novelnose
0 Kudos

New User
daisy66
0 Kudos

If you like a little adventure with your romance you can always try any book my Stephanie Laurens. The Bastion Series, Cynster Series and a new series she just recently started Black Cobra Series. I am a stay at home mom to and read every chance I get for escape! Eloisa James is also very awesome. Once I read one of her books in one night, I just couldn't put it down! I believe everyone that was suggested to you is very good!