Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: Hello From "Truly, Madly" author, Heather Webber

Heather-Webber wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful comments!

coffee_luvr wrote:

Heather-

As you developed this series, did you find that it was challenging in the first book to lay the ground work and introduce the characters compared to the second? 

Thanks!

It's always hard to lay the groundwork in the first book of a series! I wish I could say I mastered it, but I haven't. There are already things I wish I could change. On the whole, though, it's fun setting up story arcs, knowing that certain storylines will be more in depth in later books (Em's, for instance). And it's been interesting seeing how Lucy and Sean's story unfolds.

Now I'm dying to know what you would change!

Reader 4
catlover0908
0 Kudos

Heather, just wondering what you enjoy reading in your free time...genres, authors?

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Heather-Webber wrote:

If there is one place to visit in New England besides Vt,and the Boston area,is Maine..or you could visit all .one day.you will venture out this way  its a hard area to leave

You're right about that! We take a family vacation every year to Stowe, Vermont in the summer, and last year we went to Acadia National Park in Maine as well. New England, in general, is just really beautiful and it's always hard to leave!

I whole-heartedly agree, and am very happy to have such pro-New England conversation going on here!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

You said that you do write a loose outline, Heather. But what about the characters? Do you sketch them out completely before you write? Or do you give yourself room to be creative with them as you go? Did any of the characters appear differently on the page than you conceived them in your head?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Heather,I was just wondering who some of your favorite authors are? Have you ever been to a "Writing Retreet',?I have read about them,and recall Becca Fitzpatrick  ,Hush,Hush author mentioning one she attended..If not where do you like to write?I have tweeted her about your "Truly Madly",as a must read for her.Thanks...Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Now I'm dying to know what you would change!

Little things mostly--just me being neurotic. LOL.

Writing as Heather Webber:
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY ~ February 2011
Writing as Heather Blake:
IT TAKES A WITCH ~ January 2012
My blog: www.booksbyheather.net
www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

catlover0908 wrote:

Heather, just wondering what you enjoy reading in your free time...genres, authors?

I've been reading a ton of traditional mysteries lately (I'm a judge for the Edgars' Mary Higgins Clark award), so I'm definitely ready for more romances, women's fiction, and of all things, memoirs. Some favorite authors are Jane Porter, Linda Howard, Lisa Lutz, Diana Gabaldon, Elizabeth Peters, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Brenda Joyce, Charlaine Harris, and Mary Kay Andrews and many, many more.  Too many books, so little time!

www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

You said that you do write a loose outline, Heather. But what about the characters? Do you sketch them out completely before you write? Or do you give yourself room to be creative with them as you go? Did any of the characters appear differently on the page than you conceived them in your head?

I don't usually do a character sketch until halfway through the book or so. I need to just let them do their thing for a while, then start narrowing down personalities. I think the only way I can get away with this is because they're already so fully developed in my head first. There is always a little wiggle room though.

The character of Preston Bailey really surprised me. And, confession, she was supposed to die in Deeply, Desperately, but she refused (oh, the trouble that caused--so many rewrites!). And now she's one of my favorites.

www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Have you ever been to a "Writing Retreet',?I have read about them,and recall Becca Fitzpatrick  ,Hush,Hush author mentioning one she attended..If not where do you like to write?I have tweeted her about your "Truly Madly",as a must read for her.Thanks...Vtc

Not a retreat specifically, but I do have an occasional weekend away with writing buddies. And then there's all the writing conferences to go to, which are amazing. I usually write from home--actually have trouble writing anywhere else--and find this is a good and a bad thing. Good that I don't have to get out of my jammies if I don't want to, but bad that there can be a lot of interruptions. And thanks for the tweeting!

www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Heather-Webber wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I don't usually do a character sketch until halfway through the book or so. I need to just let them do their thing for a while, then start narrowing down personalities. I think the only way I can get away with this is because they're already so fully developed in my head first. There is always a little wiggle room though.

The character of Preston Bailey really surprised me. And, confession, she was supposed to die in Deeply, Desperately, but she refused (oh, the trouble that caused--so many rewrites!). And now she's one of my favorites.

Heather, I just love your sense of humor.  "Preston Bailey was supposed to die in Deeply, Desperately, but she refused."  You're the author, you can do whatever you want but I guess your ego and superego were at odds.  I like that you're so honest, it makes everything so real and makes reading your book so much more personal.  I am looking forward to getting to know Preston a lot better.  Dovie was one of my favorite characters in Truly, Madly and I would love to see her have a bigger part in the next book.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Thanks for all your answers, Heather.

What do you hope readers learn or take from your stories when they are done reading them?

When you aren’t writing, what are you doing in your spare time?

Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Dovie was one of my favorite characters in Truly, Madly and I would love to see her have a bigger part in the next book.

Dovie is still up to her mischievous ways in Deeply--and Lucy's trying her hand at turning the tables on her grandmother! So fun.

www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

What do you hope readers learn or take from your stories when they are done reading them?

My biggest hope is that for a little while, I've taken you away from daily life, stresses, hassles. An escape where hopefully I've made you smile or sigh, and that when you reach The End, you're just a little bit lighter, a little bit happier.

In my spare (hah!) time (I have three teenagers), I'm usually reading (big surprise), watching reality TV (certified junkie), thinking about scrapbooking the 1,000 digital pictures I still need to have printed out, or just hanging out with my family.  

www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

That is so good to hear. Dovie is a great character.

Dovie may not have the usual Valentine ability to see auras, but I am waiting to see what ability or power Dovie has. The second book is always fun to read and see whether our predictions come true.

Heather do you find yourself predicting as you read a book what might happen in the sequel?

I know you have stated some characters have taken a different path as the book progressed.

pen21

Heather-Webber wrote:

Dovie was one of my favorite characters in Truly, Madly and I would love to see her have a bigger part in the next book.

Dovie is still up to her mischievous ways in Deeply--and Lucy's trying her hand at turning the tables on her grandmother! So fun.

Contributor
ImagineMe
0 Kudos

Heather this book was absolutely wonderful. Were there real life events or people who inspired the story and characters?

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

Heather-Webber wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:

My biggest hope is that for a little while, I've taken you away from daily life, stresses, hassles. An escape where hopefully I've made you smile or sigh, and that when you reach The End, you're just a little bit lighter, a little bit happier.

In my spare (hah!) time (I have three teenagers), I'm usually reading (big surprise), watching reality TV (certified junkie), thinking about scrapbooking the 1,000 digital pictures I still need to have printed out, or just hanging out with my family.  

Heather,

I thoroughly enjoyed your book and yes, it was an escape that made me smile:smileyvery-happy: and left me a little bit lighter. I am looking forward to the next book.

Kris

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thank you Heather for sharing,which was so great having you here and answer "Most" of our questions without giving too much away.Its seems like you have gained many fans,who like myself are on the edge.waiting for #2..I know it will be worth the wait..I like the way your mind works,and your curiousity....We can all speculate,but I am sure the "Surprises" will be many OMG.moments.and others more suble(which you have set us up for)..a real joy reading Truly,Madly..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I second that. It was a fun read and great characters.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. Anxiously awaiting the next one.

I love the speculation.

Enjoy the book launch.

Pen21

Vermontcozy wrote:

Thank you Heather for sharing,which was so great having you here and answer "Most" of our questions without giving too much away.Its seems like you have gained many fans,who like myself are on the edge.waiting for #2..I know it will be worth the wait..I like the way your mind works,and your curiousity....We can all speculate,but I am sure the "Surprises" will be many OMG.moments.and others more suble(which you have set us up for)..a real joy reading Truly,Madly..Susan

Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

<<Heather do you find yourself predicting as you read a book what might happen in the sequel?<<

For my own work, I pretty much know what's going to happen, though the characters do surprise me from time to time--you wouldn't think this is possible, with me being the puppet master and all, but it's true. For example, today I was writing a scene with Sean and Lucy and he did something totally unexpected and slightly out of character for him, which made me sit back and wonder why. Then I realized that my subconscious was at work and I needed that scene to tie into a scene at the end of the book. This writing business is crazy at best!

<<Heather this book was absolutely wonderful. Were there real life events or people who inspired the story and characters?>>

Everyone is fictional, but the storyline about the lost little boy is ripped from my local headlines. A few years ago, a little boy went missing while at a park with his foster mom. That story didn't have a happy ending, but as a mom, more than a writer, I needed my story to have one.

And thank you all for the great questions, the warm welcome, and the warm and fuzzies! I can't tell you how much all your compliments have meant to me.

www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

Hi Heather,

Is your family involved with your writing?  If so, do they give opinions on what should happen in the stories?

Bonnie