Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Re: Hello From "Truly, Madly" author, Heather Webber

literature wrote:

Hi Heather,

I liked the way you set the stage with the meeting between Lucy, Sean and Elena at Elena's house.  Lucy tells Elena that Rachel's body was found and Elena says "and you're here why?  You think I did it?"  It was obvious that you were building up the suspense.   Then on page 284 when Lucy goes back to Elen's house and she was still getting twinges in her feet and she says "It didn't help that I opted to wear heels...today.  I should have chosen flat heeled boots."  On page 289, the heels come into play when Lucy "stomped on Elena's foot with the sharp heel of my shoe". Then on page 290, "I shook so hard I could barely stand.  Then I realized it wasn't just me shaking.  It was the gound.  The Providence commuter train was coming."  Then on page 291 "the ground shook; the whistle on the train blew; brakes squealed.  The train was 200 feet away, 150, 100.  Sparks  flew from the rails; the whistle split the air.  I covered my ears." 

There were so many clues as to what was going to happen.  And then this was confirmed on page 294, "The train...she jumped in front of it."   You were setting the stage and knew that Elena/Rachel would take the only way out and that she would jump.

You forcused on Lucy's shoes previously and that was how Preston Bailey was able to identify Lucy's shoes in the photograph of the person that found the little boy.

One more question on Lucy heels...Did you know that Lucy was going to use her heels as a defense tool against Elena when she was chasing her or did you just have Lucy wear the heels and then use them as a means at the end of the book?    I guess It's always interesting to learn from what point an author develops her thoughts.  In order to mention that Lucy shouldn't have worn her heels when going back to Elena's because her feet hadn't healed enough, you had to have something happen to her feet and then have a doctor friend stay at her apartment with her and write her a prescription.  Your mind must go in all directions at amazing speeds!  It's not too often an author creates a character by mentioning her feet, her shoes and the trials and tribulations of being part of the body.

Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Bonnie_C wrote:

Hi Heather,

Is your family involved with your writing?  If so, do they give opinions on what should happen in the stories?

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie!

Not really, though sometimes I borrow from them and their lives. More in the Nina Quinn mysteries than in the Lucy books (Riley in the Nina series is [very] loosely based on my oldest son). My daughter did help me "create" what Lucy looked like. Me: Should she have blond or brown hair? Daughter (who's a sandy blond): Blond. Me: Tall or shorter? Her (we're both *really* short): Tall. 

One of the things I do borrow from in real life is the pets in the book. We've had not one, but two, one-eyed hamsters and my parents had a three-legged cat. Our newest hamster is Pipkin--you can see a picture of him on my blog, www.heatherwebber.blogspot.com in the sidebar.

Writing as Heather Webber:
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY ~ February 2011
Writing as Heather Blake:
IT TAKES A WITCH ~ January 2012
My blog: www.booksbyheather.net
www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

One more question on Lucy heels...Did you know that Lucy was going to use her heels as a defense tool against Elena when she was chasing her or did you just have Lucy wear the heels and then use them as a means at the end of the book? I guess It's always interesting to learn from what point an author develops her thoughts. In order to mention that Lucy shouldn't have worn her heels when going back to Elena's because her feet hadn't healed enough, you had to have something happen to her feet and then have a doctor friend stay at her apartment with her and write her a prescription. Your mind must go in all directions at amazing speeds! It's not too often an author creates a character by mentioning her feet, her shoes and the trials and tribulations of being part of the body.

I can't remember exactly how it all came together, but I knew Lucy needed some sort of weapon, and her shoes would have to be it, which meant that I had to mention why on earth she'd be wearing heels when her feet were still sore. Of course it all tied in to earlier mentions of her shoes, so making a point of them at the end of the book wouldn't come out of the blue.

And the all different directions description about sums it up!

www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

The Shoe scenario was perfect Heather.We can all understand her pain,and if I recall(I must look at that page though)they were high end Shoes,naturally..Lucy does think very quickly on heels,barefoot,in pain..Its a "Girl" thing we just must look good doing it.. :  ).Living in Vt,does not allow me to wear those beautiful shoes I have from my past,so its Merrill's,Uggs,etc..Comfy,but stylish..Sorry about the "off topic",but I love  shoes..You have shared so much of yourself,and I thank you for being here with us.I am going to keep up with your website,and all your fans,which I am as well..Your Book Tour schedule will be posted there as well?...Lucy will be around for a very long time,one never know if a "Little Lucy"will be in her future,but I hope so..I will leave you with these words,'Where is Suz? Just for fun! Have a Wonderful Holiday with your family,..If you are in the mood for an excellent YA/Adult Book  Hush,Hush is a joy to read.. Regards,Vtc Susan, 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

The Shoe scenario was perfect Heather.We can all understand her pain,and if I recall(I must look at that page though)they were high end Shoes,naturally..Lucy does think very quickly on heels,barefoot,in pain..Its a "Girl" thing we just must look good doing it.. :  ).Living in Vt,does not allow me to wear those beautiful shoes I have from my past,so its Merrill's,Uggs,etc..Comfy,but stylish..Sorry about the "off topic",but I love  shoes..You have shared so much of yourself,and I thank you for being here with us.I am going to keep up with your website,and all your fans,which I am as well..Your Book Tour schedule will be posted there as well?...Lucy will be around for a very long time,one never know if a "Little Lucy"will be in her future,but I hope so..I will leave you with these words,'Where is Suz? Just for fun! Have a Wonderful Holiday with your family,..If you are in the mood for an excellent YA/Adult Book  Hush,Hush is a joy to read.. Regards,Vtc Susan, 

Thanks so much, Susan! And LOL on Suz. She's around! She has a bit of a bigger role in Absolutely, Positively, so you have a little bit of a wait... Oh, and my signings and appearances are on my blog, not my website, www.heatherwebber.blogspot.com in the sidebar...

www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Thank you Heather for being a part of the B/N book clubs. All who have read "Truly, Madly" have semi-permanent smiles on their faces; permanent when something they remembered from "T/M" pops into their thoughts.

You have given me a reason to look forward to the hot, sticky month of August, thank you,

Aine

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Frequent Contributor
sylvia387
0 Kudos

Heather...thank you for the opportunity to get a sneak peek at your new series.

I do have one question which I alluded to in another post:

There is one time when Lucy curses and Sean finds it cute.  Where in the world did that come from? It seemed to out of character for her.

Sylvia

No expectations..No disappointments
Contributor
LKD_726
0 Kudos

I was so excited that BN choose Truly, Madly for their Sneak Peek selection.  I absolutely loved the book and I can't wait to read more of Lucy's adventures.  The characters and the chemistry between them is terrific.  There were a lot of LOL moments for me during the book.  Did you specifically set out to write a blend of romance, mystery, humor and woo woo?  It was a really nice blend and I kept thinking about Lucy and Sean well after I finished the book.

Lisa

Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Thank you, Aine!

Sylvia, to me the mild swearing isn't out of character for her--she holds a lot in and sometimes it slips out, which is why, I suppose, it's a bit of a surprise when she does say it aloud. At this point in the series, Sean doesn't know her well enough to know it's kinda-sorta normal for her.

Hi Lisa! I knew I wanted to do more of a romantic mystery with a bit of the paranormal. I've always been fascinated by psychics, so I went that route.
www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Hi Heather! I just wanted to let you know I loved Truly, Madly and cannot wait for Deeply, Desperately to come out. In fact, I loved your writing so much I had my husband buy all the books in the Nina Quinn series for me for Christmas. This should tide me over for awhile!:smileyhappy: Thanks for allowing us the opportunity to read Truly, Madly before it comes out!

April
Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Hi Heather! I just wanted to let you know I loved Truly, Madly and cannot wait for Deeply, Desperately to come out. In fact, I loved your writing so much I had my husband buy all the books in the Nina Quinn series for me for Christmas. This should tide me over for awhile!:smileyhappy: Thanks for allowing us the opportunity to read Truly, Madly before it comes out!

Wow, April! Thank you so much. I hope you like Nina as much as Lucy. I do miss writing about her and her merry band of misfits, but Lucy has definitely been a silver lining.

www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

Heather,

Thanks so much for the Sneak Peek.  Really enjoyed T/M and looking forward to the next in the series.  Great characters, story, dialog.  I'll be looking for your other books as well.

Teresa

Frequent Contributor
Rabid_Reader
0 Kudos

Heather,

This is a little late as I got distracted from posting because of the holidays, but I just wanted to say thank you for participating in Sneak Peak! I look forward to reading more from you in the future!

Rabid_Reader

Frequent Contributor
AllieK
0 Kudos

Heather...

I absolutely loved "Truly, Madly"!!! I love the romantic mystery with a bit of the paranormal type stories, so your book was just up my alley!!! Sorry I am a bit late in taking part in the discussion, but wanted you to know what an awesome book you have here. It held my interest throughout the book and I couldn't wait to get to the end (though that meant no more story...boohoo!). I can't wait for the next book in the series! I love the paranormal/psychic type stories with humor...alot more fun to read!!

Thanks again for letting us read this book in advance!!!

Allison :smileyhappy:

Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Thank you, Teresa, Rabid-Reader (I'm smiling at that name!), and Allison. I hope you all will like Deeply, Desperately just as much--it'll be out in August. The cover is just gorgeous (you can see it at my website).

Thanks again!
www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Very late to the game, but I'm hoping to read this over the weekend. Never enough time for all the books I want to read!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Very late to the game, but I'm hoping to read this over the weekend. Never enough time for all the books I want to read!

It won't take you long to read it, Becke, and I think you're going to really enjoy it. It's a very light-hearted read, and the characters are very, very likable.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's really good so far -- I'd probably have finished it by now, but I had some non-fiction deadlines and this has been an insanely busy week.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Re: Your Daily Heart-To-Heart!

Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine Series)  Dear" Sneak Peak "readers of Heather Webbers"Truly,Madly,Heather has a surprise If you visit her at heatherwebber.blogspot.com  Her website is just full of great info,,and beautiful as well.....I loved Truly,Madly,and can't wait for Deeply,Desperately..Heather has also given a few clues to DD,to wet our appetite,If you were not in Sneak Peak,and have already bought the book,Please Visit her as well.."Surprise for All of her Truly,Madly readers,and just  readers in general..Cover and tidbit of DD ,so much fun to read..Best...Vtc  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis

Re: Your Daily Heart-To-Heart!

Here's a link to Heather's website:http://www.heatherwebber.com/

And here's a link to her blog, where you'll find the contest:http://www.lucyvalentine.blogspot.com/

I really liked this book and I passed my copy on to my daughter, who I know will be hooked the same as I was. I was amazed to find Heather, who also writes garden mysteries, lives near me in Cincinnati! She was scheduled to do a Barnes & Noble book signing today, which MAY be affected by snow. Here's the latest:

As of right now, 4:30 PM Friday, I will be signing tomorrow, 1-3 PM, as scheduled. This may change, depending on the amount of snow that falls tonight, so check back tomorrow for an update.
If you're planning to attend, please call the book store at 513.755.2258 to make sure it's open and the signing is still on as planned. If there is a level 3 snow emergency in the county, the roads will be closed.
Please, please, PLEASE don't take any risks. I am signing at the same store next Saturday, same time. Hopefully, it will be nice and bright and sunny. :smileyhappy:
Store Image
The Streets of Westchester
9455 Civic Centre Blvd
West Chester, OH 45069
513-755-2258

Truly, Madly: A Novel

Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine Series) by Heather Webber: Book Cover

Author Signing
Bestselling author Heather Webber's gives us a special valentine... Lucy Valentine, that is. When this psychic matchmaker gets a new client, she's shocked to find out he has a skeleton in his closet... literally. Join us!