becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Help me find a new Western, please!

If you want a slightly heavier read (in more ways than one), I recommend James Michener's Centennial.

It's a great book, and it was later made into a decent miniseries (which is probably on DVD).  Here's a link to the book:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Centennial/James-A-Michener/e/9780449214190/?itm=4&bnit=H&bnrefer=H...

dom
Contributor
dom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hey Christina let me tell you where I bought all my Linda Howard books at and girl I got a collection. Good luck and hope you read her again soon she is an awesome author.
Message Edited by Melanie_Murray on 07-22-2008 11:16 AM
dom
Frequent Contributor
Christina2377
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I am always excited to meet someone who is a fan of any romance author, even if I'm not a devotee.  I used to feel this way about Jude Devearux and Julie Garwood years ago, but they both left historical to write comteomporary.  While I've happily read books from different genres, I really stick to historicals.  Julie Garwood came back onto the scene recently with a new historical, but it was the let-down of the century for me.  :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
Christina2377
0 Kudos

I made an error on your name, sorry DoM.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ummm... not to be a spoilsport but we'd prefer if you didn't mention/promote our competitors on this site.  Pretty please?

Could you go to Options, Edit Message and maybe delete that one part of your message so we don't have to move it?  Thanks!

Message Edited by becke_davis on 07-22-2008 10:50 AM
dom
Contributor
dom
0 Kudos

I have read some Julie Garwood not much and I don't believe it was very historical it was the murder list, as well as slow burn... Both very good books a page turner indeed... As far as Jude Devearux I have only read three of her books and that was the forever series forever; always; forever and always. All very good books there were on the paranormal side magic powers and all that stuff. They were very good as well I did not want them to ever end the characters in those stories were very attention grabbing I hope she uses them more I have not ran across another book belonging to that series yet but I hope I do soon. Darcy is a very lovable character.
dom
Frequent Contributor
Christina2377
0 Kudos

dom wrote:
I have read some Julie Garwood not much and I don't believe it was very historical it was the murder list, as well as slow burn... Both very good books a page turner indeed... As far as Jude Devearux I have only read three of her books and that was the forever series forever; always; forever and always. All very good books there were on the paranormal side magic powers and all that stuff. They were very good as well I did not want them to ever end the characters in those stories were very attention grabbing I hope she uses them more I have not ran across another book belonging to that series yet but I hope I do soon. Darcy is a very lovable character.

Garwood has written some contemporary, as you mentioned.  My favorite book, ever, is The Bride by Garwood, though all of her historicals are excellent.  Jude Deveraux is a favorite of mine for her historicals as well, and she is very talented in the sense that she doesn't recycle the same story over and over.  My favories are The Taming, The Duchess, and Knight in Shining Armor.

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

a lady of the west? who is that about. linda howard's angel creek is pretty good, linda lael miller is a great western romance writer. the mckettricks are a great series (cowboys...)
"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

While reading through the posts, the ones about The Lady of The West by Linda Howard caught my eye, I ended up placing an order for it along with a couple of romance novels.  I should receive them by Wednesday.
Phyllis
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Help me find a new Western, please!

Cheynne-Catriona, Have you ever read Cassie Edwards? She writes good westerns with Indian theme. Also Leigh Greenwood, A guy writes some really good western romance. You would be surprised at how good he is. Hope this helps.

ReadingPatti

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

And also, Sarah McCarty, who is visiting with us today!
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

no i have never read any Cassie Edwards. buit i did read a texan's honor by leigh greenwood
New User
LovingRomance
0 Kudos

Have you read "Passions, Wild and Free" by Janelle Tayor? It is awesome!! Another good one from her is "Promise Me Forever" both kinda have a Western feel to them. Hope it helps!!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm reading Sarah McCarty's Promises Reveal.  If you want a HOT Western, you should try this one.  It's part of a series, but each book can be read as a stand alone without missing much.
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i dont think u can go wrong with linda lael miller. she just had a new series about the montana creeds(branch of mckettricks) come out and she is writing a new trilogy on the texas mcketttricks modern day

do u want historical or contemporary?

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i read a lady of the west...and i thought it was really really good. umm in my tbr pile is texas hold him...looks good...
becke_davis
0 Kudos

This one was really good:

Catch a Fallen Angel  

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Christina, I was just going to suggest these authors, but dhaupt beat me to it!  I love LLM's newest "The Bridegroom," and it's cool Kathleen Eagle's writing category again.  Have you checked out Petticoats & Pistols group author blog?  It's a fab place to get the pulse of what's hot in Westerns, and the Fillies are great fun. :smileyhappy: