Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Heroes and Heroines w/ Addictions @ Unabashedly Bookish

Hi, Romantic Readers!  Whether it's because of Dr Phil, or life in general, pretty much all of us know somebody with an addiction -- or in recovery from one. It only makes sense that the strength it takes to overcome addictions is being celebrated in romance...

Please join me today at Barnes&Noble.com's Unabashedly Bookish  (UB) to dish great new reads with characters overcoming addictions and learning to love again -- or for the first time.  Check out, "Profiles in Courage: Recovery and Romance" here!  

And, please, while you;re at UB, let me know what you're thinkin' about the topic, or any great books you'd add to the list.  Grazie/thanks -- Michelle

dhaupt

Re: Heroes and Heroines w/ Addictions @ Unabashedly Bookish

For those of you who don't visit Unabashedly Bookish shame on you! So here's my entry from there:

For those of us who do sorry for the repeat

Hi Michelle, I enjoy all genre's of reading but especially romance and I'm not a quiet person about it either I will proudly brandish my evocative paperback book cover on my desk at work or wherever I happen to be. Hmm, addicts and romance I think they actually go hand in hand or vein in vein whatever the case may be. I think every one of us romantics still want to believe that "love will conquer all" and it's refreshing to still see it in print. It doesn't detract at all from my enjoyment of the book if there is addiction involved because those are the truly lost souls that all respectable heroines/heros want to "save". I think the biggest difference in todays savings from yesterdays is that the characters today that are the dysfunctional society misfits are more likely to be regular everyday Joes and Janes instead of some misunderstood duke, baron or king and the savior is more a part of the recovery effort and not some saving avenging angel where the addiction just goes away. And I think JR Ward did a beautiful job of it especially in Lover Avenged which was Rehvenge's story who is an empath and a big time druggie and drug kingpin who with the love of a good vampiresse and the good deeds of the brotherhood makes his way back from the dark side. Marie Bostwick's new novel "A Thread of Truth" also deals with marital abuse and the recovery from it and even though it's not a romance per say, the victim is helped through the love of friends and strangers.

So in a nutshell I enjoy that aspect of romance and will continue to.  

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Re: Heroes and Heroines w/ Addictions @ Unabashedly Bookish

Thanks, Debbie! I love that you visit UB so often. And I think it's awfully cool that you're fearless about flashing your romance covers!  It took me a while to get to that point. But little by little, I remember getting braver and braver.  Of course, if they're really sexy and there are kids around, I sorta soft-fold back the front cover.

I'm glad you posted your comment, cause it's a good one.

The thing I love about writing over at UB is that all kinds of readers who love all kinds of books can stumble on our talk about romance there.  So we get to define the genre for them. Plus, I love reading all the other posts about books and subjects and genres I know nothing about.  And the writers are all really hip (well, except me), and they approach the topics in really accessible ways.  If I'm not careful, I can get totally time-sucked there, just reading and reading... :smileyhappy: