dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: How many of you e-read?

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Well, the hubby got an iPad for Christmas! I'm already plotting how to get all my digital books on there without him noticing. :smileywink:

Well you not only read a million books about seduction but you write them too. I'm sure you can figure something out. :-)

New User
MIriaRod

I have wanted a Nook for at least two years, but was scared that I would miss the feel of a "book".  This year my husband gave me the Color Nook for christmas... and I am so excited and nervous.. 

I've have a huge pile of TBR in my bedroom and made a promise to myself that I will not buy any more until it get thru those (unless of course I come across sometime I have to have and it is a good deal, LOL it always happens).

I have a real big issue with giving away my books... I just can't do it... I have tried.  So the nook will help in that aspect.

What makes me nervous is that I can be like a kid in a candy store... sometimes...  I just can't help myself... and I just go nuts on books.

I'm not sure why anyone would have any shame in ready romance or any other genre for that matter...  I have been reading since I was a small kid... I can't image my world without books... They make me cry, they make me laugh, they take me away from the daily grind.  My personal opinion is that people who judge a book by the cover "lol" have alot more issues then what you read...

So who cares, let them judge, while I get swept away in my book... I don't care

Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LOL melanie,  I don't know how well that'll work but hey, its worth a shot right? :smileywink: Give us a response on how it worked :smileyhappy: hehehe

Christina
dhaupt
0 Kudos

MIriaRod wrote:

I have wanted a Nook for at least two years, but was scared that I would miss the feel of a "book".  This year my husband gave me the Color Nook for christmas... and I am so excited and nervous.. 

I've have a huge pile of TBR in my bedroom and made a promise to myself that I will not buy any more until it get thru those (unless of course I come across sometime I have to have and it is a good deal, LOL it always happens).

I have a real big issue with giving away my books... I just can't do it... I have tried.  So the nook will help in that aspect.

What makes me nervous is that I can be like a kid in a candy store... sometimes...  I just can't help myself... and I just go nuts on books.

I'm not sure why anyone would have any shame in ready romance or any other genre for that matter...  I have been reading since I was a small kid... I can't image my world without books... They make me cry, they make me laugh, they take me away from the daily grind.  My personal opinion is that people who judge a book by the cover "lol" have alot more issues then what you read...

You Go Girl!!!

I share your very well stated feelings 100%

oh and good luck on the not buying any more part, I tried that too :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
WriterGurl1

I absolutely love eReading and I'll admit that the syncing feature with the smartphone app is a major bonus (I've been known to pretend to be checking emails during meetings when I'm actually reading:smileywink:)... I was a holdout and have only had my Nook for about six months, but now I'm hooked!!!

There are still a couple authors who I will buy the hardbacks when their books come out (because I can't wait). But now it's really only because the cost is usually the same and I'm stubborn... I won't spend $20 for a digital book--even if it's the same content as the paper version.

I don't miss the "feel" of holding a book at all. In fact, I find the Nook to be much more comfortable and I never get cramped hands from holding it.

There is nothing better than getting lost in a great book!
If you enjoy romance, be sure to check out my novels:

An Unexpected Obsession  

A Dose of Reality

Reader 2
Voracious_Reader81
0 Kudos

While I don't have an actual e-reader, I do have the e-reader app for my Blackberry. It comes in handy when you are stuck somewhere without a book. However, I still am partial to a physical book. Maybe this will change when I finally bite the bullet and buy an e-reader.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

MIriaRod wrote:

You Go Girl!!!

I share your very well stated feelings 100%

oh and good luck on the not buying any more part, I tried that too :smileyhappy:

Hi Everyone - I giggled at these posts - When my family goes to the mall, we spend the most time in the bookstore !!! Now that 3 of the 4 of us has e-readers, we spend more time in front of our computers !!! LOL... I still pick up books at tag sales and the library booksale (especially old releases). I have begun getting rid of the books that I have kept - although there are just a few authors that I refuse to part with -  Gabaldon, Robb, Feehan, and Kenyon to name a few . Anyway, Happy Reading:smileywink:

Anne

Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write

[ Edited ]

I was a hold out with e-readers.  I was adament that I'd never own one.  My husband got me a Nook for our anniversary this summer, though.  Now, I say it is one of the best gifts ever.  I love, love, love, LOVE my Nook! My eyes are starting to give me a bit of trouble and I am so glad that I can adjust the font on my Nook until I get my eyes checked (and probably glasses) next week. 

I am definitely reading more and more on my Nook and less paper versions.  However, as others have said, there are some authors whose books I will keep (and continue to buy) in paper form: Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb, Jude Deveraux, Julia Quinn, I'll keep my Millenium trilogy and all my Harry Potter books (although those aren't available in e-format as of yet).  I will also keep a lot of my children's books because they are so beautifully illustrated.  Plus, I want to make sure my kids always have access to their books.

I'm not embarrassed by anything I read.  I have always loved to read and consider the fact that I was taught to do so a gift.  One I am passing along to my daughters and hoping they embrace with the same joy and enthusiasm.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Inspired Correspondent
reader_824

I LOVE my NookColor that I got for Christmas. 

As others have said here, I'll be selling off  the paperbacks I own as long as I can get them digitally. There are some I can't find that way, so those paperbacks will stay.  I didn't think I'd love the ereader as much as I do, honestly. 

I won't buy anything more in print format...if the book is available in digital. With the Nook, I carry my collection wherever I am, and I love not having to take along a box of paperbacks when I travel.

Inspired Contributor
pam-livingimage
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie_Murray,

I adore my ereader.  Got it as a present last Christmas and haven't read a paper book once since then.  I even loved the smell of paper books, besides holding them.

But I would always run out of books to read.  My shelves were filled with tattered books I simply couldn't throw away because I loved and re-read them over and over.

There's now such a selection and ease to get books.  I don't have to strain my eyes.  And then I found I could publish my previously published novel on Pubit myself.  Wow.  I now have three novels on B&N.

Hope you can upload your digitals on the iPad.  Have a happy reading New Year!

The Necromancer   sale .99 cents

The Living Image   sale .99 cents

Midnight Reflections  romantic suspense  $2.99

Frequent Contributor
njoireading

I have been e-reading for almost a year.  I have a nook and now a color nook.  I also have the app on both laptops and my IPhone so I can read wherever and whenever I want.  There are still books that are not available digitally so I spend a lot of time looking for the best deal whether it is from the bookstore, a discounter, or digitally.  It just takes a little time to find what one wants. 

I still have the BW nook for taking to the gym and traveling.  The color nook is fabulous and I use it for more than just reading.  It is great for a quick check of email or for checking on line for something.

There is nothing like the smell of a new book, but for convenience, especially when traveling, the nook has been great.

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans

I got my Nook for Christmas and absolutely love it. It's so convenient now, instead of lugging my paper back with me whenever I go somewhere. I still will buy paperbacks though but with the Nook there is instant satisfaction. I used to just go with my Ipod to the gym and now I take my Nook with me so I can listen to my music and read at the same time. It's great.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your responses to this thread. I can't believe how many of you love ereading so much!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Through the Wall 

My husband prefers ereaders to books, although I admit I gave him some "real" books for Christmas (he's currently hooked on Keith Richards' autobiography).

He liked his Nook but when iPad came out, he had to get one. That worked for me, because he gave me his Nook. I quickly realized it was wasted on me because I'm digging my way through a to-be-read pile that has more than 300 real books in it. My daughter was complaining about lugging heavy books to work with her to read on her breaks, so I gave her the Nook.

In the meantime, several of my friends sold their first books/novellas and right now they are only available in ebook form. I really want a NookColor but can't justify the expense because that TBR pile never seems to go down. Still, I wanted to support my friends by purchasing their ebooks.

I discovered you can download Nook for PC for free! I did that, and now I can get ebooks whenever I want them! These are my friends' books - the first ones I ordered, of course! (And thanks to Keri for mentioning me in her acknowledgements!)

Stone Kissed 

This one isn't available for NookBook yet, but I'll order it as soon as I can. (I've already read it, and it's super hot!)

http://www.eredsage.com/store/Until_Emie_Gabriella_Edwards.html

Contributor
coleyfl

I have to totaly agree with you on this one yvette, I got my nook as a gift from my hubby last year and I just love it! I think my husband thought we would save money on books but Ive come to realize I spend more, lol, yes most of the books are cheaper but now I can go through a 10 book series in 10 days and have no lag time in waiting for the next, just POOF there it is on my nook *ah it is so lovely*. I only buy things in print if they are buring a whole in my brain waiting for the nook format.

I also love love love the "lend me" feature nook offers!

"Eat, Drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die"
Reader 2
marifran
0 Kudos

I have a nook.  For me, I needed large print books and if any of you out there need them too then you know how hard they are to come by.  Also,  with the nook I can check out e books from my public library and it doesn't cost. 

Frequent Contributor
T-TW

I posted earlier that I was getting a NookColor for Christmas and I did! My husband of 32 years has declared that it's the best present that he's ever got me, because I'm always using it. It's great to be able to read at night without struggling with the print. It's really easy to download books and I added an app to my Droid and to my laptop so I have instant access to my library. With it's cover, the NC slips neatly into my purse. Do I still like paperbacks? You betcha! I still love to spend time browsing the bookshelves.
Contributor
coleyfl
0 Kudos

I am so Jealous! I hate stuggling with the book light, but I feel the same way I still love the smell of books and browsing them. I also have found to be causious of the pricing, crazy as it sounds sometimes the online price of a book (even hard covers sometimes) are cheaper, go figure. And with free shipping on B & N sometimes I just order the hard copy. Also Ive found sometimes with a new release the hard copy will release earlier and some I just cant resist and need to get my hands on ASAP.

:smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've been 100 % adament about not getting an ereader but after reading all of these posts I may have changed to 95% (but I'm wondering if I'll be a closet ereader).

I have a big purse so I always carry a paperback book with me... cause ya never know when you might get a minute to whip out a book. Is the nook too heavy or cumbersome to carry in a purse? How long does the charge last?  I'd hate to be in the middle of a story & have the battery die. I may have to drag myself down to a store to check one out.

I'm never ashamed of reading romances, sometimes I just need an escape to a different time and know that there's a happy ending waiting for me.

cork_dork_mom
Contributor
coleyfl

I charge mine only at night when I sleep (4-5 hours) and I have mine with me all day and it never dies on me. I also love that the nook ap for for smartphone and pc save your page, so lets say I ran to the doctors office and forgot my nook... I can pull it up on my phone and it know right where I was!!!! How cool is that? Plus I can lend books back and forth with friends and they can use their PC if the dont have a nook!

LOVE it! It really is super awesome.

LOL Im not a closet romance reader either, every girl needs to escape once and a while!