Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
lives2read
0 Kudos

Re: How many of you e-read?

dhaupt wrote:

lives2read wrote:

I always felt that I could never give up books, I love a new book, how it feels and smells, I can find it on a self without reading the spine, because I remember just how it looked. But I did buy a nook, and am surprised at how much I love it. I still look at new books, I can't find them on shelves like an old friend because with an ebook you don't get a feel for the size and design of the whole book.

Now I have to remember that everyone in the B&N Community are not using an e-reader!

I totally agree with you about loving the feel of a book, and yes I have a Nook too, but only out of necessity, most of the publishers are going more and more to arcs in eform, so the publications I review for require  me to either have an e-reader or kill a thousand trees a month, so the e-reader. I read an article about how e-readers are killing book stores, but my take is that it's the wave of the future and you've either got to keep up or give up.

Now my many many bookshelves at home are still overflowing but I must also have over 200 books on my Nook already.

I love to read but how is it having to read so many things, especially when its something that you wouldn't choose to read it on your own?  I have over 300 books so far, most of them free, but I could only hold out for so long, and have been buying, and I have a few that I am watching the price,because some of then do go down.

New User
Emma_Skye
0 Kudos

I have the Nook for PC and the Nook for Android and I am pretty much e-reading 99% of the time now. I love reading on my computer. I see 2 pages at a time and the print is bigger. Im not having to hold a book for hours on end. With my Android, I can carry it with me wherever I go and read whenever the mood strikes me. 

New User
LovestoWrite06
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. I just got a Nook Color for Christmas and I'm actually posting this message from it. I havebeen e-reading for a few years but until recently I wasn't a true convert. I like the convenience of ebooks but I'm still a book hoarder. I actually used my nook the other day to compare prices at the store. It was really handy. I'll still buy paper books for certain authors or serirs but I think I'm starting to become an avid e-reader.
Follow my blog for updates and information: lovestowrite06.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

now that i have a droid, i have the nook and kindle app. i read books that are only available on the e-readers, but i cant imagine giving up paper books entirely. I love books, but i know that technology is speeding along and sooner or later i will have to get one. I just hope that libraries do not become useless and that there will still be books in print.

Now that i have ranted i must say that i am sooooo tempted to get one because i  have to admit that it is rather more convenient to read an e reader, though not as enjoyable.

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Inspired Correspondent
reader_824
0 Kudos

I've been converted 100% to the ereader.  The prices are as cheap or cheaper than the print version, I can set the size of the font, I can carry all 235 titles with me in my purse, and it remembers where I left off.  Since I live in a rural area, I can buy my books from my easy chair and don't have to drive 70 miles roundtrip to a bookstore who may or may not have the titles I've heard about on these boards.  It's become no contest for me, and I never thought, as a Librarian and book lover all my life, that I'd be "converted."

Contributor
Dee_in_NY
0 Kudos

I am a 100% ereader, and love it.   I have given up the print books.  I know some of you are gasping at that. But for me it works, you can change the print size, the background color and make it lighter/darker if need be.  I can easily put my book in my bag and at anytime I am carrying around 200+ books.  I can easily pull up on my nook and reread if I want.  My nook and case take up less room then a hardcover book, and I no longer need bookcases to hold all my books.

My name is Derina and I am an ebook addict, and I am not affraid to admit it
Frequent Contributor
McCreamy
0 Kudos

I have no idea how I lived without my nook color. Seriously. I used to carry 2 books with me everywhere I went just in case I finished one of them too early during my lunch break. I have about 500 books on it. I do still have 2 boxes of print books left to read yet (I was lucky enough to get my NC for my birthday and it was a suprise), and will only keep my absolute favorites in print. The rest I will give away to friends or donate to the library. I have boxes and boxes of books that have been taking up valuable real estate in my house! :smileyhappy:

New User
Cali_Ali
0 Kudos

For the last few years, I've been almost exclusively an e-reading gal, as far as reading for pleasure. I still use and prefer physical books for reference materials (although, even that is changing with some of the interactivity improvements of e-reading devices), but I love my e-reader! ^_^

In fact, when I'm reading a physical book, I often lament the fact that I cannot (read: will not) make notes in the book itself, bookmark several pages, or look up unfamiliar terms with ease. So spoiled for e-books now. ^_^

Reader 4
nooknookSL
0 Kudos

In a little less than a year I have read  books.  In all honesty I began with the free books and many of them are really short or a prequel to another book so sometimes you can read 2 a day. 

I have always purchased used paperbacks and the prices are always really reasonable $1-$4.  If I have a complaint about my Nook, it's that books are really pricey.  When you are used to bargain prices it kills you to pay $10-$15 for a single book. And why is an e-book more expensive than a print book?  I don't understand it.  My latest gripe is J.K. Rowling's new book in ebook format is on sale for $19.99.  Seriously?  So, I will continue to purchase ebooks that are under $5, and more expensive books I will purchase used.

Reader 4
nooknookSL
0 Kudos

Sorry, I have read over 250 ebooks.

Inspired Correspondent
reader_824
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I assume it's because we have different tastes, perhaps, but I've never paid more for an ebook than I'd pay for either a paperback or a hard cover.  The old books I've purchased in e format  have been in the $.99 to $4.00 range so that seems reasonable to me, given the condition I've seen of some used paperbacks out for sale.  The new books I've been interested in have been in the $9.99 range, which is cheaper than the hardbound books for sale when the title is new.

I don't know what the DOJ and the various publishers will settle on in that legal settlement that's been in the news, but it'll be interesting.  I've also purchased over 250 books since the colornook came out and if I think a book is too expensive, I do what I do with print books...I don't buy it.  If it's an author I'm not sure of, I read the Library's copy and decide if I want the book in my own collection or not.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

I started out reading actual books.  Once I purchased the Nook 1st edition, I was truly hooked.  I love reading on my Nook.  I have over 200 books on my Nook so far.  I even put them into book shelves once I am done reading the book; that way I can re-read the books again and again.  I am one of those people who; if the book is really good, I will definately read it more than one time.

I have purchased a book if it was part of the series I was reading (so I can keep my series complete).

So to answer your question.....If the book is part of a series I will purchase the book.  If it is something new, then it will go on my Nook.

I truly love the Nook because it is so easy to use, and it save tons and tons of shelf space, and it also saves a tree.

Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own.  ~William Hazlitt

Inspired Correspondent
reader_824
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm enjoying the first of two I borrowed as ereaders from our library's consortium of libraries that have an ebook pool.

Flirting with Disaster (Charleston Series #2)  

These library groupings are about the only way our small libraries can get ebooks, I think.  I don't know what the Agency thing will do to those groupings, but maybe soon individual libraries will buy their own collections, and those offerings will expand as the audiobooks and DVDs have at so many smaller libraries.

Reader 2
butterfly33bean
0 Kudos

I have a Nook Color and I love it! :smileyhappy: My husband bought it for me as a Christmas gift. I love my e-reader because it gives me the ability to have my books and magazines all in one place. Before I had my Nook Color I had stacks of books and magazines all over my house. I had about 3 magazine subscriptions that came once a month. They would lay around my house just waiting for me to get to them. When I did I'd have all these pages I ripped out on baby products, make up, clothes etc stacked on my dresser. My books were in my bedroom stacked in a corner because we don't have a book shelf. Now with my Nook Color everything is in one convenient place and it sits nicely on my nightstand. I still go into book stores just because I love to read. I still by my kids books and I also buy them nook books too. One of the first books I bought on my Nook Color was a romance book. Not because I wanted to hide it from people but because I love romance novels.