Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray

How many of you e-read?

I don't have an ereader (I know, I know...) so I found this article interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/09/books/09romance.html?_r=1&hp

How many of you buy your romances digitally now? Are there certain authors that you have to have in hardcover? Have you ever read a book on a reader and then bought a hard copy after that?

dhaupt

Re: How many of you e-read?

Melanie, I have a Nook. I love my Nook, but, and this is a big but. The only reason I bought it is because several of the people I review for only send out ebooks so it was either that, read it on my computer screen or kill trees unnecessarily ergo a Nook and some publishers are sending out more and more e-versions of ARCs.

For my own reading pleasure I will always prefer the "real" book in my hand wether paperback or HB, there is nothing in the world like holding a book in your hands.

Interesting article but doesn't it just burn your butt that people still won't admit to reading romance, I hate book snobs. :-)

Reader 2
AnnFromWV
0 Kudos

I have a nook, love my nook and read it every day.  I used to love holding books also, but 13 months ago a stroke made it very hard for me to hold books and turn the pages.  I was dropping and picking up the books more than reading them.  The nook allows me the pleasure of reading without the frustration. I love, love, love it!!

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

I have had a nook for a while but I don't use it that often. I have been using it more lately and I'm slowly coming around to liking the E-books.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
dhaupt
0 Kudos

AnnFromWV wrote:

I have a nook, love my nook and read it every day.  I used to love holding books also, but 13 months ago a stroke made it very hard for me to hold books and turn the pages.  I was dropping and picking up the books more than reading them.  The nook allows me the pleasure of reading without the frustration. I love, love, love it!!

Ann, how wonderful that the Nook helps you keep reading and I have to admit it's a situation that I never thought about before, another thing it does is let you turn virtually any ebook into a large print book by letting you choose your font size so it can help a number of people in any number of situations.

I hope your recuperation is ongoing.

Frequent Contributor
Yvette4

I've had my Nook for maybe about a year.  I have to say that, after reading my Nook daily, I'll most likely never go back to a paper book format.  I love the idea of having a choice of the 200 books that are loaded on my Nook.

The only reason for me to get a paper book format is if I'm getting the author's autograph.  And for me, that is not very often.

Once you go digital, its hard to go back! :smileywink:

Author
VictoriaJanssen

I recently acquired an e-reader, mostly to use in the gym (while on the elliptical trainer) and on long trips.  The type of book I buy for it varies - I bought some research books that were cheaper in electronic form than in paper, and also took up less space.  I bought some fiction that I would otherwise have traded or given away after reading, had I bought them in print form.

I've always thought it was a shame if people were ashamed of reading!  No matter what's on the cover!

MOONLIGHT MISTRESS, December 2009 from Harlequin Spice
THE DUCHESS, HER MAID, THE GROOM AND THEIR LOVER, Harlequin Spice.
www.victoriajanssen.com
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555

Debbie and Victoria- I agree I feel that you should be proud of what you read. Why hide a romance cover just because it has a half naked men on the cover. As Becke would be sure to tell us those hot covers are some of her favorites. :smileyvery-happy:

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans

Well, I don't have a Nook yet, but the hubs is getting me one for Christmas. I'll probably split my purchases between e-reader and paperback. I still love holding a book and all. Besides, I like filling up my bookcases with actual books. So I'm definitely still going to by physical books.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Contributor
UnmatchedBookend

I love my Nook. I haven't bought a print book since I bought it & I'm selling any print books that I can get ebook replacements for. I've always had a hard time giving up my books (even the bad ones). Now I can shrink the size of my library without losing any content!

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie - I have a Kindle - my family bought it for me for my birthday in April. I had thought that I would always want to have a "Book Book" but I really love the convenience of it. I still have a HUGE TBR pile of books in the closet, but now I've got a collection on my Kindle entitled TBR. When I buy an eBook, I put it in there first, until I read it, then I file it under the author's name. I'm not sure if a Nook allows you to do that, I haven't looked enough at it. I try to alternate between reading an eBook and then a paper book. It seems to be working out - sort of... Happy Reading

Anne

Frequent Contributor
njoireading

I have had a Nook for almost a year and just purchased a color Nook.  I buy about half and half electronic vs print books with my purchase style based on cost.  I look carefully for the least expensive format and go with that.  Now that BN has stopped giving the 10% membership discount on print books purchased on-line, ebooks are becoming a better price option.

I like reading ebooks as it is easier when I am on the treadmill at the gym plus I travel a lot and do not have to have room in my suitcase for 4 or 5 books; I just slip the Nook into my bag.  I am looking forward to the color Nook as it is so interactive and will allow even more access to the web.  Being able to have "bookshelves" for my ebooks is a big plus now, too.

I do not keep all my books and either take them to a used bookstore or donate to a local nursing home or charity.  Ebooks allow me to keep more in my "library" and I still have plenty to donate.

I am not ashamed of reading romance novels.  Most people at work (men and women) know I read them.  I tell them the HEA is what I need after a long day at the office!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

guys, I love reading all your responses! I'm so old school, and can't imagine getting used to reading books on an e-reader. There's rumors floating around my house that an iPad is coming from Santa this year, so I guess I'll have to get used to it.

I do have a lot of digital reads from publishers here, so i'm looking forward to being able to read them all.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

guys, I love reading all your responses! I'm so old school, and can't imagine getting used to reading books on an e-reader. There's rumors floating around my house that an iPad is coming from Santa this year, so I guess I'll have to get used to it.

I do have a lot of digital reads from publishers here, so i'm looking forward to being able to read them all.

I know Melanie I love print books but so many publishers are putting galleys out in e-form now

dhaupt
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Hi Melanie - I have a Kindle - my family bought it for me for my birthday in April. I had thought that I would always want to have a "Book Book" but I really love the convenience of it. I still have a HUGE TBR pile of books in the closet, but now I've got a collection on my Kindle entitled TBR. When I buy an eBook, I put it in there first, until I read it, then I file it under the author's name. I'm not sure if a Nook allows you to do that, I haven't looked enough at it. I try to alternate between reading an eBook and then a paper book. It seems to be working out - sort of... Happy Reading

Anne

Hi Anne,

the nook has "shelves" that you can fill so I guess the same this as the kindle.

Frequent Contributor
T-TW

[ Edited ]

I'm getting a NookColor for Christmas and I can hardly wait! A friend got one as an early Christmas present and I've explored it some. I've been reading romances since I was a young teen and I'm in my fifties now, While I wasn't sure at first that I would like an e-reader, I've decided that it has some wonderful advantages like larger fonts and easy access. I give my books to a couple of friends at work and I've already warned them that they're going to have to get a Nook too if they want to share my books. 

I'm not ashamed of reading romances either. It's what makes me happy!

Inspired Contributor
rosilynn_grey

[ Edited ]

I have a Nook also and its the black and white  screen model. I recieved it for my birthday last august. I do like the digital formats, and a lot of times the ebooks are less expensive than a paperback. Sometimes I miss the paperbacks but with my Nook, I'm not having stacks upon stacks of books laying around and its organized into digital shelves instead of real ones which makes it easier on me and my husband. I would like more authors to have digital ebooks more. It can be difficult for us ebook people to find some favorites . I too Love a good romance! so what if theres a handsome guy on it, thats what sparks the interest:smileywink:

Christina
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi and welcome TW, and I'm green w/envy I'm like rosilynn I have a regular old Nook, however I prefer paper books but I do a lot of reviewing for publishers and more and more of them are putting out digital galleys so I got a Nook to save trees because reading on my computer screen is a pain in the backside.

And good for you no one should be ashamed of reading any kind of book. BTW romance makes my life better. :-)

Contributor
thekidsmom1224

I now buy/read ALL of my books on my Nook. I still have some requests in at Paperback Swap, so will get paperbacks delivered sporadically. Since I travel a lot for business, I do need a few paperbacks lying around for use when the flight attendant tells me to turn off my Nook!

What I've learned with my Nook:

1. I am reading more and skimming less....when reading a paperback, I very often would skim over the 2 pages quickly looking for the end of scene descriptions, or the end of a romantic scene if I was 'all sexed out' by the author. With the Nook, my skimming is MUCH less prevalent and I am now, of course, enjoying the books more because I'm reading ALL of the book (what a concept, huh?)!!!

2. As cumbersome as the Nook organization is (even with the newest upgrade, it still has a LOT of room for improvement), it's light years better than the stack of TBR titles that were piled up by my bed, and the sofa and the bookshelves....now I can actually find a title I am looking for without having to get out of my bed and search in multiple locations.

3. And yes, if I read a book that I really like at one of my digital libraries, I will probably go buy my own digital (not paperback or hardcover) version. However, until B&N allows my 10% membership discount to apply to my ebook purchases, I will continue to buy most of my ebooks elsewhere.

4. And the MAIN reason that I am now almost 100% digital....no matter where I am, I've got access to ALL THE BOOKS in the WORLD (slight exaggeration). A recent unexpected 5 hour layover in LAX proved the value of my NOOK to my overall happiness.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Well, the hubby got an iPad for Christmas! I'm already plotting how to get all my digital books on there without him noticing. :smileywink: