Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Sophie_Rose
0 Kudos

If you like Diana Gabaldon...

I absolutely love the Oultlander series by Diana Gabaldon, but I have read them all and am waiting for the next one to come out.  In the meantime I am reading Into The Wilderness by Sarah Donati.  Her work is great and has the same feel as the Outlander books.  In fact, Jaime, Claire, and Ian have all been mentioned briefly and I'm not even half way through the first book.  So if your looking for something similar I highly recommend Sarah Donati's books. 
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: If you like Diana Gabaldon...

Here's the link: Into the Wilderness.

We've chatted about her before, haven't we?

Contributor
Sophie_Rose
0 Kudos

You may have chatted about her before, but I'm pretty new here, so not with me.  I don't mean to be repetitive.  I just loved the Outlander series so much...I was very sad when I had read the last book (but extremely happy to later find out another one is on the way!) and just didn't know what to read next.  I would have been very greatful to know about Sara Donati's books then, and now that I do, I thought I would pass that knowledge along to anyone else who may find themselves in the position I was in.  I thind both authors are excellent.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Oh! I wasn't asking because I thought you were being repetitive! I asked because my memory's terrible right now!!!
Contributor
Sophie_Rose
0 Kudos

It looks like a lot of different discussions go on here.  I imagine it would be very hard to remember them all. :smileyhappy:  It's nice to find other people who are interested in the same books I am.  My husband loves to read, but not the same kind of books.  I'm sure he is very tired of hearing about all of mine!
dhaupt

Melanie_Murray wrote:
Oh! I wasn't asking because I thought you were being repetitive! I asked because my memory's terrible right now!!!
Yeah, a little sleep deprived are you mommy?

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:
Yeah, a little sleep deprived are you mommy?

Completely. I don't think I've ever been this tired. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Ash53

I have read all of the books in the series by Sara Donati, the first being Into The Wilderness.

They are wonderful books and ranks right up there with Diana Gabaldon

New User
EWHoke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I am also new to this list but loved the Outlander series.  It was hard to find anything I liked as well until now.  I just finished The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons and loved it.  I can not wait to receive the next book in the trilogy Tatiana and Alexander.    Alexander ranks right up there with Jamie. 
Message Edited by Melanie_Murray on 03-13-2009 11:33 PM
Contributor
Ash53
0 Kudos

I'll have to take a look at the book The Bronze Horseman. Have not read anything by Paulina Simons. Thanks!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Yeah, I'll have to take a look at The Bronze Horseman too.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Contributor
alexandrask
0 Kudos

I agree....I just loved reading this series.  I have read them all and could not wait to read the next one.  I hated that they ended, just like the Oulander series.    There were 3 and I ordered them as they were published from a book club to get the hard cover books. I will read them again..... I have not read any of her other books but Tully and Red Leaves are supposed to be very good. 

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

I have to agree 100%. I started reading Outlander when it first came out. I thought it had a cool cover. Little did I know it would become my all time favorite read. I was lucky enough to hear Gabaldon speak at a book festival in Denver and she even signed my book. What a treasure.

I've read other books I really like (The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society ranks right up there) but none come close the characters in Outlander. Her writing is so smart, the people and places really come alive. When I put the books down, no matter how many times I've read them, I have to re-orient myself because I feel like I'm in Scotland!

I'm going to try the books that have been talked about here. I'm sure I'll like them, but as much? If I do, will it be like cheating on a spouse?  LOL

I'm SUPER leary of any movie coming out because I don't think justice could ever be done to the story. If they did, it would have to be a REALLY long movie.

cork_dork_mom
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone - AnneB here - As some of you may know (LOL) my all-time favs are the Outlander books, but I also have all the Into The Wilderness books (they rank a close 2nd). I've re-read them both several time and I think I'll probably re-read Echo In The Bone again soon. I'm going to try some of the suggestions you have all listed, because I really like series books, romances, mysteries, or thrillers. You begin to feel that the characters are friends.

I too am sleep-deprived at the moment - school, work, home......but  reading helps me to calm myself either mid-day or at the end of the day ......

Happy reading everyone

Anne

Contributor
Ash53
0 Kudos

I just finished "The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society" that is a wonderful book.

Has anyone read  Diana's latest Echo In The Bone. Is it as good as the others?

I'm going to re read the series before I read it. It's been about 3 years since I read the 5th book.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Hi Ash,

There's a thread about Echo in the Bone here, but read through it at your peril! There are spoilers!

For anyone who's interested, here are the books that are being talked about above:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society  - I read this ages ago and highly recommend it.

Into the Wilderness

Dawn on a Distant Shore

Lake in the Clouds

The Fire Along the Sky

Queen of Swords

1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Ash - YES<< YES< YES I've read Echo and it's one of her best ! I spent part of the summer re-reading the whole series and I'm glad I did. Not only did it feel great to revisit old friends, but it made the story fresher in my memories, 'cause you almost need a scorecard to remember everything ! I just spent the last 20 minutes on the phone with the friend who first recommended Diana Gabaldon to me and she had just finished Echo and so we rehashed the book - you know...favorite parts....how could that happen ....what was she thinking....how will it be resolved...Anyway, I think you'll love the book. Let me know...

Anne

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Debbie, I know that I have discussed Diana before but her books are just so good. I am very anxious to read my copy that I got. I am working on finishing up my library books so I can get in An Echo in the Bone.

I must remember to check on the Into the Wilderness series. They sound good. I will see if we hava any at my library or at the county library.

ReadingPatti

1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Patti - If you love the Outlander series, I'm pretty sure you will also like the Into The Wilderness series. They have the same depth of research and interesting and colorful characterizations, as well as a great story ! A few of the Outlander (fictional) characters also make an appearance ! This is my  second favorite series. Have fun reading it...

Anne

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

If you liked reading Guernsey literary... then I highly recommend listening to the audio version. The reader is British and it really brings to life the words of the letters. So much emotion is brought to the story -- the characters come alive. Different people read the different characters and it makes the story flow.

cork_dork_mom