Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
readerkuna1
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎07-13-2008
0 Kudos

Jane Austen Fans?????

I was wondering how many Jane Austen Fans are out there. I started reading classics a long time ago. I feel in love with her. Of course, Pride and Prejudice is my favorite, but I love them all. I recently saw all them in movie form on one of my PBS stations. They were really good. I love both versions of Pride. I got hooked on the one with Colin Firth. I got the new one on DVD and love Kiera Knightly as ELizabeth.

 

Talk about romance. Wow, Jane could take normal situations and weave them into romance.

 

I have read other author's that use the Jane Austen characters. Some are really good. I like Carrie Berbis Darcy mysteries and Pamela Aidan's books from Darcy veiwpoint. I just found Amanda Grange's books. They too are good Austen characters stories.

 

I was looking for e-books and found a books by Jane that was apparently never published. I need print it out and read it. It is Lady Susan. I am not sure what is it about. I was just looking for other classics I never read like Mrs. Radcliffe's gotich novels. So I came across this one.

 

So let me know what Jane Austen books you love?

Patti Kuna
Author
DebMarlowe
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎06-22-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

Me!  Me!  I love Jane Austen!

 

As a matter of fact, the Barnes and Noble Romance Book Club I belong to just discussed Emma.  I love Austen for so many things, but mostly for her fabulous characters.

 

I'm like you, readerkuna1, I'm  a big fan of both the A&E and the K Knightly movie versions.  They approach the story from different directions.  You know it's a classic story when you can happily absorb many different versions! 

New User
AnnaAdams
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

Count me in!

 

Deb, Emma is my favorite of Jane Austen's.  As I read it the first time, I kept thinking Emma was not very nice.  But by the end, I loved Emma.  I'd love to know how JA did that!  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Deliciouskiss2u
Posts: 247
Registered: ‎03-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

I apsolutely love Jane Austen her books are for sure my fav when it comes to true romance i love all of her characters..
TEAM EDWARD!!!!!"hell's not so bad if you get to keep an angel with you."- Edward Cullen



Alicia Maria
Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

I'm a huge Austen fan. Persuasion is my favorite, but I read portions of P&P at will, all the time...
New User
kelcee
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-21-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

I absolutely love Jane Austen - in fact, I found this message board because I have a "google alert" to things Jane Austen. Is that pathetic? I love reading people's opinions, I guess to tell myself I'm not alone! I've read all her books and seen all the adaptations. Love the '95 Pride and Prejudice movie the best, but you can't beat the novel. I even love reading other authors' books. Love Pamela Aiden's trilogy (apart from book 2, which I felt was too far removed), Sharon Kaye's Persuasion take off, Abigail Reynolds' books, and books by Kara Louise. My husband also found me this little known book based on Jane Austen's life with her sister, Cassandra, called "Cassandra's Sister" by Veronica Bennett. I think I enjoyed it better than "Becoming Jane." The odd thing was, though, the book cover was put on upside down. It didn't affect the story, though.:smileyvery-happy:
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

Yes, I also love Jane Austen!  Keep your eye on the other book groups here, too, as they sometimes discuss her novels.  The Literature by Women group has discussed Persuasion and Northanger Abbey recently, and Mansfield Park was a featured moderated group.

 

My list from favorite to least favorite:

Persuasion

Northanger Abbey

Pride & Prejudice

tie between Emma and Sense & Sensibility

Mansfield Park

 

I love her sense of humor!

 

I also have a nice collection of adaptations.  I have all of the BBC presentations (from the 80s), as well as the A&E versions of P&P (the Colin Firth one) and Emma (Kate Beckinsale), the old Olivier/Garson P&P, and the excellent Hinds/Root Persuasion.  And I have some of the 'loosely-based' ones like Clueless and Bridget Jones' Diary.  Next, I have to get the four new ones that PBS recently showed!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
Anna_Adams
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎01-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

LOL on dipping into P&P at will, Melanie--you know that's a good book when you can get the whole experience back from a few pages!

 

Dulcinea, I loved the Ciarin (sp?) Hinds Persuasion.  That guy acts from the inside out, doesn't he?  He sure got all that repressed passion onto the screen.  Oh, the intensity!


Learn more about Her Reason to Stay.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????


Anna_Adams wrote:

Dulcinea, I loved the Ciarin (sp?) Hinds Persuasion.  That guy acts from the inside out, doesn't he?  He sure got all that repressed passion onto the screen.  Oh, the intensity!


Yes, I really don't think he's handsome, but there's still something about him that makes you weak in the knees!  He really can just project all that emotion through his eyes.  The letter scene in Persuasion was incredible!  He's done a lot of period/classic literature movies, too, which is nice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????


dulcinea3 wrote:

Anna_Adams wrote:

Dulcinea, I loved the Ciarin (sp?) Hinds Persuasion.  That guy acts from the inside out, doesn't he?  He sure got all that repressed passion onto the screen.  Oh, the intensity!


Yes, I really don't think he's handsome, but there's still something about him that makes you weak in the knees!  He really can just project all that emotion through his eyes.  The letter scene in Persuasion was incredible!  He's done a lot of period/classic literature movies, too, which is nice.


I think I have seen that Persuasion, but can barely remember it. It's going to go onto my netflix list!

Frequent Contributor
Christina2377
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎01-08-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite Austen book because I think Mr. Darcy is one of the most compelling men I've ever read about.  He's very different than any of the other male characters she wrote about, so I suspect a "story" lurks behind his creation.  Yes, I did see a the movie Becoming Jane, but I didn't like it.  :smileysad:

 

I too disliked Emma as a person as I was reading the book but was won over at the end, that shows true talent.  I've mentioned this several times in these discussions, but Miss Bates was such a dear, trod-upon woman that I just adored.  I think that made me loathe Emma all the more when she was so mean to her.  More so than Emma, I thought about Miss Bates long after I had read the story and wondered what might have become of her. 

 

For films, the most recent P & P with Keira Knightley is easily one of my favorite movies.  Its a tad on the dreary, depressing side... but I like it.  GREAT score! The A & E version did a much better job bringing the catastrophe with Lydia to life (and that actress was far superior) and the mother in that version was a riot.  I don't know the actress' name that played Lydia in the A & E version, but I saw her in Horatio Hornblower a few years later... sidenote-- love epics?  Watch Horatio!  He's dreamy.

Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????


Christina2377 wrote:

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite Austen book because I think Mr. Darcy is one of the most compelling men I've ever read about.  He's very different than any of the other male characters she wrote about, so I suspect a "story" lurks behind his creation.  Yes, I did see a the movie Becoming Jane, but I didn't like it.  :smileysad:

 

I too disliked Emma as a person as I was reading the book but was won over at the end, that shows true talent.  I've mentioned this several times in these discussions, but Miss Bates was such a dear, trod-upon woman that I just adored.  I think that made me loathe Emma all the more when she was so mean to her.  More so than Emma, I thought about Miss Bates long after I had read the story and wondered what might have become of her. 

 

For films, the most recent P & P with Keira Knightley is easily one of my favorite movies.  Its a tad on the dreary, depressing side... but I like it.  GREAT score! The A & E version did a much better job bringing the catastrophe with Lydia to life (and that actress was far superior) and the mother in that version was a riot.  I don't know the actress' name that played Lydia in the A & E version, but I saw her in Horatio Hornblower a few years later... sidenote-- love epics?  Watch Horatio!  He's dreamy.


That actress's name is Julia Sawalha. I know this because she played the daughter on Absolutely Fabulous - one of my favorite shows back in the day....

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????


Melanie_Murray wrote:

Christina2377 wrote:

For films, the most recent P & P with Keira Knightley is easily one of my favorite movies.  Its a tad on the dreary, depressing side... but I like it.  GREAT score! The A & E version did a much better job bringing the catastrophe with Lydia to life (and that actress was far superior) and the mother in that version was a riot.  I don't know the actress' name that played Lydia in the A & E version, but I saw her in Horatio Hornblower a few years later... sidenote-- love epics?  Watch Horatio!  He's dreamy.


That actress's name is Julia Sawalha. I know this because she played the daughter on Absolutely Fabulous - one of my favorite shows back in the day....

 

 


Yes, I always enjoy seeing "Saffy".  She was also in the recent production of Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford, and had also been in a Dickens adaptation of Martin Chuzzlewit on PBS a few years back.

 

And I agree, I very much enjoyed the Horatio Hornblower series!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
Christina2377
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎01-08-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????


dulcinea3 wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Christina2377 wrote:

For films, the most recent P & P with Keira Knightley is easily one of my favorite movies.  Its a tad on the dreary, depressing side... but I like it.  GREAT score! The A & E version did a much better job bringing the catastrophe with Lydia to life (and that actress was far superior) and the mother in that version was a riot.  I don't know the actress' name that played Lydia in the A & E version, but I saw her in Horatio Hornblower a few years later... sidenote-- love epics?  Watch Horatio!  He's dreamy.


That actress's name is Julia Sawalha. I know this because she played the daughter on Absolutely Fabulous - one of my favorite shows back in the day....

 

 


Yes, I always enjoy seeing "Saffy".  She was also in the recent production of Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford, and had also been in a Dickens adaptation of Martin Chuzzlewit on PBS a few years back.

 

And I agree, I very much enjoyed the Horatio Hornblower series!


 

Ioan Gruffold (sp?) is a wonderful actor... if they do any more films based on Austen's work, I nominate him for a lead!  He'd make a very gallant, charming Mr. Knightley.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

I know I have voiced this before but I am definitely a Jane Austin fan? And I collect all books that are or at all connected to Jane Austin and her characters. I read Austenland and loved it. It was so cute and funny. The main character's great aunt died and left her a trip to Austinland. A place in england  that you play act that you are in Pride and Prejudice. I do not guess that place is real or I would love to go.
Frequent Contributor
readerkuna1
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎07-13-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

Kiakar, Could you please tell me who wrote Austenland? I have not heard about this book.  Thanks

 

 

Patti(readerkuna1@yahoo.com)

Patti Kuna
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

Does anyone have the book Lost in Austen?  It sounds like it could be fun, but the reader reviews don't sound so great.

 

I saw the movie Becoming Jane last night.  I enjoyed it a lot, although I think it must only be based very loosely on her life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
readerkuna1
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎07-13-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

Christine, Did you know that Ciran Hinds also play in Jany Eyre and the Phantom of the Opera?

 

He is good in both of them.

 

 

Patti

Patti Kuna
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Austenland

Austenland is written by Shannon Hale.  She has a website that gives some info about the book, which is a very enjoyable read. 
Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen Fans?????

I've never read Lost in Austen; like you the reviews have made me wary.  I did just finish Just Jane by Nancy Moser and found it very good.  It's a fictional biography written from Jane's point of view.
Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon