Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray

July Feature #2: SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE by Meagan Hatfield

As I was searching for books to feature this month, I tried very hard to find something that I thought those of you who loved paranormals would like. Lo and behold, I found an advanced copy of Shadow of the Vampire, and I think it fits the bill. It's from author Meagan Hatfield, a writer of paranormal romance for Harlequin. This is the first in a new series about an age old war between a horde of Vampires and a clan of dragons. That's right. Vampires and dragons, and you know that when the hero (dragon lord) meets the heroine (vampire princess) sparks fly.

Here's the story copy:

Even vampires should never sleep with the enemy.

Vampire princess Alexia Feodorovna has been undead for 125 years, so it's
been a while since any man has made her pulse race. Until Declan Black. One
look at his bronzed body and a fire like no other consumes her. Then she
discovers that he's a dragon lord come to take revenge on the vamps who
killed his parents. And claim a crystal said to imbue its owner with incredible
powers.

Alexia is ordered to torture and kill the dragon lord. Yet with each reckless
encounter, she finds herself consumed by his fiery passion. A passion Declan
battles, as well. Will he be able to resist the fire of lust she kindles within him
and keep revenge in his heart? Or will he risk everything to quench the
burning desire and claim the vampire as his own?

And if that doesn't intrigue you, try the video trailer:

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: July Feature #2: SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE by Meagan Hatfield

For more about Meagan, visit her website. You can also find her on Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace.

I can't wait to hear what you all think of this book. Are dragons the new vampires, do you think? Or are they the new shapeshifter? What's the appeal of the dragon?

Blogger
Marisa-ONeill
0 Kudos

Melanie - funny you mention it - but I've been seeing a lot of books lately with dragons.  I never thought I'd find them appealing but I've just started

Dark Embers  - and I must say I'm intrigued. Now I'm definitely going to have to check out Shadow of the Vampire.  

Reader 4
AvidBookQueen
0 Kudos

Oh wow!  After seeing this post I've ran (with fingers) over and bought this book!  I love dragons... don't know why, but they greatly appeal.  There are several great dragon authors... Deborah Cooke ~  Katie McAlister ~ Susan Kearney ~ Stephanie Rowe ~ Allyson James ~ GA Aiken.... Dragons just get into so much trouble and are a nice departure from Vamps and Were's without having to leave the genre

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I wouldn't say that I'm a dragon lover - that is, dragon books aren't must reads for me. But two of my favorites, the Drakon series by Shana Abe and the new Stormwalker series by Allyson James, are dragon books.

I really enjoy how Meagan Hatfield has created her dragon community....But answer me this, what is it about dragons that appeals so?

Reader 4
AvidBookQueen
0 Kudos

Heart, Loyalty?  Maybe just the wonderful world the writers create.... not sure, but really drawn to them. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, Melanie, you know I love dragons! I'll have to check this one out.

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

SPOILERS**************

So I finished this book and it was my first dragon book and i really enjoyed it. I loved how there was an evil male vampire trying to take over the horde that has been lead by women. I love the backstory and the fights and the moment where Alexia is in the final battle and all the moments after that. I like how it set us up for the next novel and i liked how it ended with Declan and Alexia in the sky.

I did think the "mating" was very similar to JR Ward in the way that Alexia needed to mate with him in order to be a dragon. It reminded me of the "needing" period the female vampires have in the BDB series where they have to mate otherwise their bodies start to go into extreme pain.

I also thought it was weird that all the love scenes happened in the middle of the vampires beating Declan and that the whole big war was stopped so they could mate. I'm sorry no one stops in the middle of the biggest battle between vampires and dragons to mate.

Overall I did really like the story and can't wait for the next book.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555

Why is it that I always seem to read the one feature book that no one else reads? everytime I guess I pick the "unpopular" one. But I liked the story.

Pages of Forbidden Love
Reader 4
AvidBookQueen

Ha Ha - I so agree! I have a tendency for the odd ones too, although I pick up the hot ones - I may not get to them for a while as it depends on what is striking me at the time of actual reading.

I read the pre-quel and just finished this book.  Although the pre didn't explain a darn thing!

I liked the overall story, but I have to say that I have many questions that were left unanswered!  I also had trouble with the stops in the middle to mate.  And then stopping in the middle to switch over to Tallon and Griffin - what the heck was that about???

Alex, in my opinion, should have been really ticked at the end of the book - but seems to have just taken her fate in stride, which goes against her character...

I will get the next book, just to find out how Alex is accepted (cause they didn't do well with her just staying over as the girlfriend) and how Tallon and Griffin and Fallon work out.  I'm hopeful that some backstory will finally be given - like how Declan is both a Dragon and a Vampire (she touched on, but barely) and how he is made, but Tallon is born.  I think this series can go far.

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555

avidbookqueen I thought that the stops in the middle for the mating and for the stuff about Tallon was a little unsmooth. I understand that she wanted to tell us more about Tallon so that she could lead us into another book but it seemed like a last minute thought that the editor said go back and add stuff about Tallon and that was just the place she decided to throw it in. I also felt that a lot is unexplained about the queen's brother and other small things along the way. I am with you on the hope that the next book will be a little smoother and be a little clearer on the backstory to how dragons are birthed or born.

Pages of Forbidden Love