Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

June 1: Visit with Rachel Gibson

Please welcome Rachel Gibson! Rachel's latest book, True Love and Other Disasters, is featured in my new column.

Rachel will be visiting with us on Monday, June 1. Please give her a warm welcome.

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: June 1: Visit with Rachel Gibson

I've read all of Rachel's books except this one, which has been added to my TBR pile. I think I need to take a year or so to do nothing but read!

I would have a hard time picking a favorite of Rachel's books, but if you forced me to, I'd go with this one:

Trouble with Valentine's Day  

Frequent Contributor
Keoweegirl
0 Kudos

Hi Rachel!

I can always count on a good time when I pick up one of your books!  I've been a hockey fan since I was a sprout so I'm especially looking forward to reading TRUE LOVE AND OTHER DISASTERS.  

Do you ever get any feedback from the NHL or other hockey teams regarding your books?  

What are you working on now?

~PJ

~pjpuppymom
theromancedish.com
New User
Natascha
0 Kudos

Hi Rachel!

Ok, I was never a NHL fan, but I sure enjoyed how you made me interested in it when I read True Love and Other Disasters and See Jane Score.  I thought you wrote the game scenes in a way which captured my interest.  They were the ideal length and contained enough authentic terms and jargon where I didn't fell coddled or patronized. 

Faith is a great heroine and I really liked her as a person.  Her mom is a pip!  Love the Saint and Lucky (from SJS). Good job!

I also loved Daisy's Back in Town.  Jack was real hard core and I loved it. 

I am plowing (appreicatively) through your other books.  They are alot of fun.  Looking forward to Bressler's book next year.  I hope you have a nice summer.

Author
RachelG
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

If you liked TTWVD, Rob and Kate are about to make an appearance in the book I am currently writing, tentatively titled, Nothing But Trouble.

Rachel Gibson

0 Kudos

No, I never get feedback from NHL players, but I do get LOTS of feedback from hockey fans. Hockey fans are very loyal and passionate about the game. If they think I've slighted their fav team or player, they let me know.

Rachel Gibson 

0 Kudos

Okay, finally figuring out how this message board works. I thought my answers would appear in each post. So this post should have appeared first. Ah well  . . . 

Eloisa, thanks for inviting me to the B&N book club message board. It's great to be here.

Rachel Gibson 

0 Kudos

Hi Rachel,

Welcome to the board! I'm so thrilled you're here. You've been one of my go-to contemporary authors for years. I always know that I'll be entertained and will be spending time with warm, sympathetic characters whenever I read one of your books!

My favorite of yours is See Jane Score so I was thrilled that Jane showed up in True Love and Other Disasters. I really enjoyed the book. The banter between Ty and Faith was great (Sah-vahge vs. Miss July!) And I just really liked Faith as a character. She had a lot of depth, which was nice considering what she looked like.

On the hockey note: I grew up with a dad who was a rabid, rabid fan. The only time I ever saw him cry was when I was ten and he took us to the Montreal Forum. He'd never been there and got teary-eyed hearing the Canadian national anthem. (Don't ask me why. He's from Massachusetts.) So all the hockey references in all your books alway make me chuckle. A) I'm horrified that I get all of them, and B) they're so authentic! I love that you mention real-life players and that the teams you wrote in your playoffs are all playoffs teams in real life. I love realism like that in a book!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've really enjoyed all of Rachel's books and I'm looking forward to reading her new release.  I'm glad to hear two of my favorite characters will appear in an upcoming book, too -- will it be related to a holiday like the Valentine book?
Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

It's our pleasure to have you here, Rachel!

So can you give us any tidbits about Nothing But Trouble?  I love that title...

Eloisa 

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

Author
RachelG
0 Kudos

Nothing But Trouble opens the day after True Love ends. The hero of NBT was the captain of the hockey team until right before the play off when he was nearly killed in a bad car accident. He spent the play offs season in the hospital and isn't real happy about not being there to win the Stanley Cup. The heroine is an out of work scream queen that has been hired as the hero's assistant.   
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Rachel and welcome to our humble club, I really love the humor in your novels. I find it very telling when I can hardly remember the hero and heroine's name in the book that I finished yesterday but that after over a year can still recall Devon as a ghost/specter whatever trying to mess up things between Zach and Adele and still laugh whenever I think of it.

And like so many other author's I now can't live without,  I found out about you from Becke and Melanie right here on this board. So kudos to you for all the definitely deserved success.

I can't wait to get my hands on the newest. 

Message Edited by dhaupt on 06-01-2009 12:11 PM
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I'm so glad that Bressler is going to get his own romance. I felt bad for him in TLaOD.

What made you decide to revisit the Chinooks, Rachel?

Author
RachelG
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I'm so glad that Bressler is going to get his own romance. I felt bad for him in TLaOD.

What made you decide to revisit the Chinooks, Rachel?

Story always comes first. I finally had an idea for more hockey books, and a big part of the decision to revisit the Chinooks is because the #1 questions readers ask me is: "When are you going to write another hockey book?"

rachel 

0 Kudos

Hi Rachel!

LOVE your books! They're always so much fun. Do you ever use the tabloids for inspiration?

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i love your books! my fav has to be tangled up in love though. i have true love adn other disasters on hold at the library...cant wait to read it. sounds great!
"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Author
RachelG
0 Kudos

KimCastillo wrote:

Hi Rachel!

LOVE your books! They're always so much fun. Do you ever use the tabloids for inspiration?

Tabloids for inspiration--no, but I did write a book with a heroine who was a female tabloid reporter. It was called True Confessions and was a lot of fun to write.

rg 

0 Kudos

Hi, Rachel.  I must tell you that you are one of my favorite contemporary romance authors.  I have read several of your books, and NOT ANOTHER BAD DATE was my favorite.  I love the humor in your stories.  In every book your characters have been easy to relate to and care about.  I am really excited about this new book that Eloisa featured in her column.  I am also intrigued to hear about NOTHING BUT TROUBLE since I also liked THE TROUBLE WITH VALENTINE'S DAY.  Do you have any other ideas for future books that you can tease us with?
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

so i put not another bad date on hold...but as i started reading it i got a little nervous cause the guy is widowed.. so a little wary cause some books with widowed protangonists take a while o get to the point where theyre comfortable with eachother i guess...
"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Cheyenne_Catina wrote:

so i put not another bad date on hold...but as i started reading it i got a little nervous cause the guy is widowed.. so a little wary cause some books with widowed protangonists take a while o get to the point where theyre comfortable with eachother i guess...

Keep reading, Cheyenne! It's good. And go here to read the discussion we had last June when we read this one in the book club.