Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

June Feature #2: THE IRISH WARRIOR by Kris Kennedy

The Irish Warrior  

As his men are slaughtered around him, legendary Irish warrior Finian O'Melaghlin is held captive by the despised English Lord Rardove. Struggling to break free, Finian finds aid from an unlikely source: the beautiful Senna de Valery, who is also trying to escape Rardove's bloodthirsty grasp. Risking both their lives, Senna releases Finian from his shackles so they can both flee, but their plight has just begun...

Seeking safe refuge, Finian and Senna have only each other to depend on for survival. Neither can deny their immediate attraction, but indulging their desires will put them both in grave danger. Finian vows to protect the woman who saved his life, but he soon learns she is a pawn in a much larger battle. For Senna has an unbreakable link to a priceless treasure many centuries old. It is the stuff from which dreams are made and for which men will kill-and not even Finian may be strong enough to save her...

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: June Feature #2: THE IRISH WARRIOR by Kris Kennedy

Eloisa sure knows how to pick 'em!

The Irish Warrior was the winner of a 2008 Golden Heart award at RWA Nationals, and isn't it time that we all read a medieval romance? I think you'll all enjoy this. There's an alpha hero (with an Irish accent!), political intrigue, and love on the run - always a favorite.

For more on this book and author, visit www.kriskennedy.net.

Author
KrisAuthor

Hi Melanie!

I am so honored to be featured in Eloisa's column with all those fabulous authors! 

I really hope readers love the book.  The hero is what I call a 'good alpha.'  He's got all the alpha traits that make a hurt so compelling--confident, self-assured, masterful, takes command--but he's also funny, charming, and has no problem letting the heroine shine and being impressed by her.

And he's Irish. I mean, what else do you need.  :-)

The heroine is a woman out of her element, who's forced to face part soft herself she's submerged for many years.  And she is utterly head-over-heels for the hero the moment she lays eyes on him.  She has to become strong in ways she never imagined, and has to actually re-define what is means to be strong.

Thanks so much for chatting about the book, Melanie!  I'd love to answer any questions, hear from readers, and chat about what we all love: romance. 

Kris

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Welcome Kris!

I love the Irish hero...Why did you choose Irish? And who are your favorite Irish heroes?

Congrats on all that's happened to you! golden heart winner, published author. It's been quite a couple of years, no?

Author
KrisAuthor
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie~

The very first Irish romance I read was also my first ever romance!  It was The Ground She Walks Upon, by Meagan McKinney.  I got it out of the library, after *years* of seeing romances and wanting to read them, but moving on by, b/c I was too embarrssed by the covers, or I'd been picke dup too many messages about how 'silly' and 'low value' romacnes were.  But thank goodness I finally succumbed to temptation!  LOL

I think I read it maybe 10 years ago?, and it's been so long I even forget the storyline, except I do know the story took place in Ireland, but I'm pretty sure the hero was English . . . maybe I'm wrong though.

It HAS been a big couple years!  The double Golden Heart final was incredibly exciting in '08, and when IRISH won, it was pretty incredible. I was just reflecting on the past couple years with my husband.  It's been 2 years since I sold a book, and now I have 2 out, and 2 more contracted. I feel incredibly blessed.   

Author
KrisAuthor
0 Kudos

Oh, and I mean to mention . . . on the brogue . . .

In this book, I went back & forth with whether to use 'ye' or 'you.'  I went back and forth so much I changed all the 'ye's" and "ye're's" to "you's" and "you're's", then changed them back again. Then back again . . .

LOL  It was a merry go-round of dialect. 

I was very uncertain.  That sort of dialect can feel kinda old-skhul, and could draw attention to itself, in a bad way.

But every time I took it out, it felt wrong. I was trying to be ... inoffensive, rather than trying to write the story that needed to be written. 

It's the only word I do in dialect (the forms of "you") and it's essentially only for Finian, the hero.  I don't even use it for most of the other Irish in the story. 

But I really thought it needed to be in. It becomes invisible (I hope!) and gives a natural layer to Finian's speech which, added to the cadence, hopefully adds an extra dimension to the world-building without being intrusive.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Kris - I just wanted to tell you I just finished The Irish Warrior, because of what I read here. I loved the book ! I'm going to read your other book as well, but what's next ? Please tell me that there's something coming soon, 'cause I hate to wait !! Keep up the good work...

Anne

New User
KrisKennedy
0 Kudos

Anne!

I don't know if it's too late for you to receive this, but I never saw your original note.  So sorry! 

Thank-you so much for writing about IRISH--yay!!  :smileyhappy:  You asked about the next book, which is DEFIANT, another medieval,  and it's out now (June 2011).  Double yay.  :smileyhappy:  

Again, so sorry for my delay in replying, and I hope you keep loving the books.  Feel free to write me directly at the website--I'm love to hear from you!  :smileyhappy:

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Nice to see you Kris!

Here's the link to her latest book, which has gotten really good reviews: Defiant