Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Lions and Tigers and... Heroes? Oh My!

[ Edited ]
Its July and I have a brand new column! This month I'm reviewing shapeshifter heroes. You can read the column here and check out the spiffy new drawing of me!

What are your favorite shapeshifter stories?

Message Edited by Melanie_Murray on 07-07-2008 05:18 PM

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

Frequent Contributor
Deliciouskiss2u
0 Kudos

Re: Lions and Tigers and... Heroes? Oh My!

Eloisa- As always i loved your column and I totaly agree with the whole new age caveman lol. Everytime i read the paranormal books were the hero turns into some type of animal I always thought that in the back of my mind lol. Like just last night I finished one of Nalini Singhs books and I got that feeling hahaha. But its okay I think woman really like that whole animalistic traits in the books. Its savage yet sweet, woman like the bad boys as you have mentions in a few of your other column in the past.....

LOVE LOVE the columns you write:smileytongue:
TEAM EDWARD!!!!!"hell's not so bad if you get to keep an angel with you."- Edward Cullen

Alicia Maria
becke_davis
0 Kudos

As always, I loved your column.  And for once I don't have to go out and spend a fortune since I already have all of those books!
New User
rebroroe
0 Kudos

Eloisa,

Love your writing btw! Read the whole series with Helene and company in about a week.  She was my favorite of the characters.  As for the shapeshifters, I would have to say that Christina Dodd's shapeshifters are my favorite but they are followed very close by Jacquelyn Frank and her nightwalker series!  Love the bad boys too!  There is just that edge that draws you in and makes you wonder what kinda ride they will take you on.  I think most of us like the adrinaline rush we get from them, taking us out of our comfort zone and showing us the dark side.  Wowza! 

Take care and I look forward to what comes off the presses next!

Rachelle

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Eloisa,

Loved your article because the Shapeshifter stories are my favorite.  Oh I read other paranormal stories but top of the list are the shapeshifters of all sorts.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Hi everybody!

So shapeshifting is about a walk on the dark side, huh?  Did anyone read the op-ed in the New York Times yesterday about marriage?  It was talking about an elderly priest who has been marriage counselling for years.  Someone in the article (his mother?) said that as long as you remember that men never mature after 11 years old, all will be well. 

I read it thinking that maybe this explains some of the shapeshifting -- if men are just big 11 year olds (and I have a 12 year old male in my household, so I know just what that entails!), then shifting into big cats means we don't even expect them to mature enough to make their own beds, do we?  Luckily all these heroes are very rich and can afford to hire people to do their dishes!

Eloisa

Frequent Contributor
Keoweegirl
0 Kudos

Another fascinating column, Eloisa!  Christina Dodd's shapeshifters are my favorites with Adrik leading the pack. 

Having grown up with four younger brothers I'm totally in sync with you regarding 12 year old boys. :smileysurprised:  Sending you lots of patience.  And wine.

~PJ
~pjpuppymom
theromancedish.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Speaking of the New York Times...

I'm back from vacation and still catching up, so I was reading my Sunday New York Times from June 29 yesterday.  There was something in the "Social Q's" column that cracked me up.  A woman wrote in saying she'd developed a crush on a guy she saw on the subway every day.  She was wondering if it would be socially acceptable to ask him on a date.

I loved the reply, which included the following comments:

"Even though half the fun of riding public transport is projecting fantasy lives onto our fellow commuters, especially the attractive ones, across-a-crowded-subway plotlines are rarely as successful in real life as they are on Lifetime.  So how about starting with a few baby steps instead:  maybe taking a seat next to your future husband and striking up an idle chat?  'Is it hot in here,' you could ask him, 'or is it just you?' "
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Wonderful column, as expected, Eloisa.
Contributor
santasmbslt
0 Kudos

Wonderful article, Eloisa. I am new to the whole paranormal, shape-shifter sub-genre but I have to say that Chrisina Dodd's series has really made me a believer. I'll add one more paranormal shape-shifter series and that is Mary Jo Putney's recent series. I wouldn't say that were shape shifters, as much as, weather shapers. Their magic entailed controlling weather and in doing so shifting history. Fascinating.

I'll one more element in the fascination with shape-shifting heroes. Here is the uber-Alpha hero in human AND animal form. It is not just the animal within coming out but the rake in the forefront. The shape shifting hero calls, in my mind's eye, to be reformed or tamed, if you will. To be redeemed - to be tamed - by that one true love of his life echoes one of my favorite themes in romance that of the reformed rake.

Santa
Maybe I should get my hands on this book before the end of the month.....
Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

Great comment, Santa!  You're probably right about the "taming" aspect of these heroes.  Maybe that's some sort of caveman throw-back on our part (thinking over various wild men I have known, not too successful in real life either!).  oh well, that's what beach reads are for.

I've read one of Putney's weather-controlling heroines and it was terrific.  I love the way she blends in a parallel history with magic.  Actually, they are something akin to the Kennedy novel I talked about in the column.
Eloisa