Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Love Historicals? Head to Unabashedly Bookish NOW to dish!

Please join me at bn.com's Unabashedly Bookish to tell me about your favorite historical romances, and the new ones you want to read! I love Loretta Chase, Eloisa James, Anna Campbell...

Plus,  read about how the cool folks at the prestigious Historical Novel Society really showed the love to romance fiction last weeked at the HNS N. American conference.

Please comment and add your voice to the chat at UB!

Thanks! -- Michelle (romancebuythebook.com)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Love Historicals? Head to Unabashedly Bookish NOW to dish!

I can't believe how much this book club has changed my reading habits. When I first started coming here, I hardly ever read historicals. Now my TBR pile is filled with them, and there's a whole new shelf of historicals in my "keeper" bookcase.
Frequent Contributor
stardrifting
0 Kudos

Historicals is pretty much all I read.  I do have other authors that I can't live without, like Jude Deveraux (even though she used to write historicals), I do like her contemps.

Stacy 

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I read plenty of contemporaries and paranormals, and have quite a few favorites among those genres. But historicals are my definite love. There's just something about the well-dressed men, and the horses, and love scenes in a carriage....sigh.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:
I read plenty of contemporaries and paranormals, and have quite a few favorites among those genres. But historicals are my definite love. There's just something about the well-dressed men, and the horses, and love scenes in a carriage....sigh.
Yeah, and here I thought only contemporaries were hot. . .

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I like both contemporary and historical, but tend to enjoy contemporary more because the heroine seems to be a bit older in the contemporary romance novels, not too many dukes fall for the 40 or 50 something heroine in historical fiction. I guess the only exception to the rule would include any hero in a kilt then I just substitute me for the heroine no matter the age.
Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

innnnnnteresting, Debbie, cause I substitute me for the heroine in any book I read.  And -- oh this is kind of horrible, since authors go to so much trouble to get just the right attributes -- if she's not short like me, I make her that way, and pretty much adjust her. 

I can't remember whether you like erotic romance, but Robin Schone does Characters in late 30s, early 40s who've been around the blog, finding second chances (or first cause they're really damaged).  Also, Candice Hern's got a great older woman, but of course, I can't remember. I want to say "Lady Be Bad."  

btw, I cannot recommend that set of books by Candice Hern more highly than saying they're on my most favorite keeper shelf. No kilts, sorry (though I really like how you think, Debbie)!

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Melanie writes: love scenes in a carriage....sigh.Were we separated at birth?  There is no finer depiction of, em, love, than in a well-sprung piece of equipage.  And I simply could read an historical every day for the rest of my life and die happy.
Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Stacy, doesn't it kinda bum you out when your favorite historical author switches sub-genres?  I mean, it's great if they're feeling happy cause they're spreading there wings and all, but I so miss them.  If you like their new style, though, it can be fun to read something new. 
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ok Michelle, I just ordered one of Ms. Hern's books Lady be Bad. Can't wait to read it!!!
Frequent Contributor
stardrifting
0 Kudos

Yes, it did bum me out, but her comtemps are pretty good for the most part.  I do wish she would go back to writing historicals. :smileyhappy:  The only gripe I have is that a lot of the endings have been kind of a let down on some. 

Stacy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

"I substitute me for the heroine in any book I read.  And -- oh this is kind of horrible, since authors go to so much trouble to get just the right attributes -- if she's not short like me, I make her that way, and pretty much adjust her."

I'm laughing because this makes me think of Nora Roberts, who must be short. I'm tall (and not slim) and I always have to bite my tongue when her heroes pick up the heroines and run with them up the stairs, or heft them up so they can wrap their legs around them. She sometimes writes about tall heroines, but I can still tell a shorter woman wrote it. Just as I have trouble writing about short heroines. I can't imagine what it's like not to be around the same height as the guy. Well, I can imagine it, but the logistics are completely different -- okay, I'd better quit while I'm ahead. Wouldn't want to get kicked off Melanie's board. 

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

becke, La Nora is very tiny.  But I think the same thing about the whole 'swept up in his arms" thing. I'm fairly small, but I fear that any guy who'd try to scoop me up would be in the ER by day's end.  So, when the heroes are taking the various sets of stairs in the mansion by twos -- while carrying the heroine tothe bed chambre -- i kind of wonder if it happens a lot in real life.  And I think about why it's a romantic fantasy for women, and who they are. Because, I'm sure not everyone shares Melanie's and my fantasy about carriage love scenes. In  fact, I remember a commenter once saying to me, "You know, Michelle, I just don't think they made carriages big enough for that particular fantasy of yours..." :smileyhappy:  2 each her own, I guess... -- Michelle (romancebuythebook.com)
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

See, but the Dukes afford the biggest carriages, so there's lots of room (in my mind.) And they're lined in the softest velvet you can imagine...
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I have to say, after reading some of these carriage scenes recently, I think you two are on to something.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I find all the historical accoutrement utterly irresistable. All of you who have read my posts know how infatuated I am with the heroine's dresses. Add a powerful horse that can only be tamed by the hero, a saucy footman or valet or lady's maid, and a large, winding staircase and I'm pretty much a goner.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:
I find all the historical accoutrement utterly irresistable. All of you who have read my posts know how infatuated I am with the heroine's dresses. Add a powerful horse that can only be tamed by the hero, a saucy footman or valet or lady's maid, and a large, winding staircase and I'm pretty much a goner.
That's where you lose me. At home, I live in jeans, although I like to dress up when I go out (I love glitter and bling!). I would never have had the patience for all those layers of clothes and the fancy hair. Of course, if I had a maid, I might feel differently. But really, the thought of needing a maid to get ready every day is kind of squicky to me.

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Melanie, are you the long-lost, separated-at-birth sister I've been searching for?  I'm a little crazy for the men's clothes in historicals, from braies and hose to doeskin breeches with those sweet little plackets,  the cravat that needs to be unwound or just mussed a bit.   (and don't, please, get me started on stockinette briefs). sigh...

Yes, becke, we're 'on to something,' indeed; please join us!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Michelle_Buonfiglio wrote:

Melanie, are you the long-lost, separated-at-birth sister I've been searching for?  I'm a little crazy for the men's clothes in historicals, from braies and hose to doeskin breeches with those sweet little plackets,  the cravat that needs to be unwound or just mussed a bit.   (and don't, please, get me started on stockinette briefs). sigh...

Yes Michelle, I love the braies and hose too in historical fiction, especially as they're being taken off!:womanvery-happy:

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Michelle_Buonfiglio wrote:

I'm so glad we've found each other, Michelle! You may be the only person I can say this to: seeing the word "braies" in print gives me a little thrill.

Shall we talk about the heroes who forgo wigs, choosing to wear their thick tresses in a little queue at the back?