Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

MEMORIAL DAY SPECIAL: CHAT WITH MONICA BURNS!

Monica, who has been such a good friend to us lately, has graciously agreed to visit with us tomorrow to give us a sneak peak of her upcoming release,

Assassin's Honor.

Here is the story description:

Archeologist Emma Zale sees the past when she touches ancient relics. It’s how she uncovered evidence of an ancient order of assassins—the Sicari. When a sinfully dark stranger shows up on her Chicago doorstep demanding an ancient artifact she doesn't have, he drags her into a world where telekinesis and empaths are the norm. Now someone wants her dead, and her only hope of survival is an assassin who’s every bit as dangerous to her body as he is to her heart.

Ares DeLuca comes from an ancient Roman bloodline of telekinetic assassins. A Sicari, he’s honor bound to kill only in the name of justice. But when the woman he loved was murdered, Ares broke the Sicari code and used his sword for revenge. Love cost him dearly once before, and he’s not willing to pay the price again. At least not until hot, sweet, delectable Emma walked into his life. Not only does she hold the key to a valuable Sicari relic, she might just hold the key to his heart.

If you go to Monica's website, www.monicaburns.com, you can read the first three chapters of this book. I defy to read it and not want to buy it! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this book. Emma is a smart, capable, but in-peril heroine, and Ares, well, Ares is about as Alpha as they come. He wields a sword!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: MEMORIAL DAY SPECIAL: CHAT WITH MONICA BURNS!

Here's a video trailer for the book:

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

And here are the recent books by Monica. I first read her historical, Kismet, which is a wonderful adventure set in the Middle East. It's exotic and extremely sexy.

Kismet  

Mirage  

Dangerous  

Assassin's Heart

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Yay!! I'll be here - Monica is great!

Author
MonicaBurns
0 Kudos

WHAT? You already ARE here, sweetie! :smileyvery-happy:

I'm sleeping in tomorrow, but I'll be here throughout the day.  Getting ready to take my Baby on a mother/daughter outing in the afternoon. We're going to Hollywood Cemetery here in Richmond. And I'm trying to see if the curator will let us to gravestone rubbings.  Even if they say no, it will still be fun, cuz she's never been and the cemetery is AWESOME. A slew of Presidents and famous people are buried there.

http://www.hollywoodcemetery.org/home.html

Monica

Monica Burns | http://www.monicaburns.com
Pleasure Me - 03/11 - Berkley Sensation
Assassin's Heart - 09/10 - Berkley Sensation

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

MonicaBurns wrote:

I'm sleeping in tomorrow, but I'll be here throughout the day.  Getting ready to take my Baby on a mother/daughter outing in the afternoon. We're going to Hollywood Cemetery here in Richmond. And I'm trying to see if the curator will let us to gravestone rubbings.  Even if they say no, it will still be fun, cuz she's never been and the cemetery is AWESOME. A slew of Presidents and famous people are buried there.

Monica

Somehow I'm not surprised that you have super cool plans for this day, Monica. What will you do with your gravestone rubbings?

Author
MonicaBurns
0 Kudos

http://www.genevahistoricalsociety.com/PDFs/Cemetery%20Stories/Rubbing%20Instructions.PDF

This is an explanation of what it is and how to do it. Essentially, you take some nice thick tissue paper and use chalk or rubbing wax to put the imprint of the tombstone on the paper.

Think of it like someone's written a note and they take the written note with them. If you use a pencil you can rub it across the page and see the imprint left behind.

I learned about it years ago, and have been wanting to do one at Hollywood Cemetery for years. It's such a beautiful place. The peace and contentment I feel there is awesome. I suppose maybe that makes me a little eccentric wanting to play around with the dead. Bwwwwwaaaahahahaha

Author
MonicaBurns
0 Kudos

OHHHHH, and I've been remiss in saying THANK YOU to Melanie and B&N for having me here today. I truly don't have a brain!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I've told Monica over email, but I'll share with you all how much I enjoyed

Assassin's Honor. It kind of covered all my bases, you know? It's a paranormal contemporary, but with an archaeologist heroine and a hero from an order of assassins that have been around for ages - this satisfied the part of me that loves all things historical. And because it's Monica, there was all manner of hotness to it.

Anyway, the story's absorbing, Ares the hero is alpha as they come, and Emma's a heroine who's smart and emotional and sympathetic.

For more on the plot, I'll let Monica tell you...

Author
MonicaBurns
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Anyway, the story's absorbing, Ares the hero is alpha as they come, and Emma's a heroine who's smart and emotional and sympathetic.

For more on the plot, I'll let Monica tell you...

Let me see if I can break down the plot into some visuals for you.

HBO mini-series ROME - swords, honor, treachery, battle between an old religion (pagans) and a new religion (Christianity)

DaVinci Code Factor  - Ancient artifact out there that the Sicari and their enemy the Praetorians BOTH want. No one's really sure what it is, but the myth is that it's powerful and can change the balance of power between the two factions.Also see above with the new/old religion piece

Hot Romance Factor - Ares and Emma.

The Klingon Factor - The Order of the Sicari. Honorable warriors although there are traitors. Hey, they're human. Brutal culture, yet stil noble.

National Treasure /Indiana Jones Factor - Archeology hunt for treasure with great romance

Xena Warrior Princess Factor - Great sword fighting

LOST Factor - Minor things you don't understand or see resolved in the book will be revealed either in the next book or down the road. As a series, I want to keep not just one thread but several going through it.

When I wrote this book, it was like I was a reader and discovering the world for the first time as well. I had an overall scope/vision for the series, but not everything was clear to me. I let the characters describe their culture to me. Sometimes that made for scary moments, but it all came together in the end.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

MonicaBurns wrote:

Monica

Well, I was here yesterday, but now I'm here today, too! :-)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm going to try to post a larger picture of the cover, which I think is gorgeous:

Author
MonicaBurns
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I'm going to try to post a larger picture of the cover, which I think is gorgeous:

I love it too. I gave a shout when I first saw it, but was at work and that wasn't good. I LOVE Ares in this shot. It is SOOOOO him!!

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

My copy is on its way, I can't wait! Oh, and I love how you broke it down for us, especially the Star Trek reference, Classy.

What you were saying about the rubbings on the grave stones earlier, My brother and I used to go out ot Gettysburg all the time and one time we snuck a few rubbings after hours. Totally worth it!

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Author
MonicaBurns
0 Kudos

Hi Katie, Glad to hear you're excited about the book. I hope you enjoy it. And delighted to hear that the breakdown worked for you. This is most definitely a romance, but there's a lot of other influences in the book too.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Monica, how did you know so much about archeology and ancient history?

Author
MonicaBurns
0 Kudos

Research. I've been a reader since the age of four. And not just romance. I was reading Edgar Cayce at the age of 12, not your usual reader fare at that age. I've had a love of ancient history for a long time. But it wasn't until I was older that I really delved deep into the topics.

I think some of my knowledge is more instinct, backed up by my research. When I was writing my book Mirage in 2005, I wrote some historical facts that felt right, but I had no idea if they were or not. I didn't want to go look them up at the time as the words were flowing well. Figured I'd change things later. When I looked up the information everything I has was correct, even though I have no recollection of ever having studied that particular piece of Egyptian history. Another interesting fact about Mirage was that when I was writing about finding Ramessess's summer palace, I did my research and settled on one spot that I believed would work best for the book. Months later, my choice was proven correct when archeologists found the summer palace in the very spot I'd picked.

These sort of things happened when I was writing Assassin's Heart. I would write something about Rome, go research after the fact and wouldn't have to change anything. Some would call this coincidence, but I believe in past lives, and I've had too many deja vu moments in my life to not believe that I'm just calling up old memories.

I love archeology, but I've neither the time nor the patience for it. It's a very painstaking job. It moves slower than a baseball game on a hot summer afternoon. I don't have that kind of patience!! :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

MonicaBurns wrote:

Research. I've been a reader since the age of four. And not just romance. I was reading Edgar Cayce at the age of 12, not your usual reader fare at that age. I've had a love of ancient history for a long time. But it wasn't until I was older that I really delved deep into the topics.

I think some of my knowledge is more instinct, backed up by my research. When I was writing my book Mirage in 2005, I wrote some historical facts that felt right, but I had no idea if they were or not. I didn't want to go look them up at the time as the words were flowing well. Figured I'd change things later. When I looked up the information everything I has was correct, even though I have no recollection of ever having studied that particular piece of Egyptian history. Another interesting fact about Mirage was that when I was writing about finding Ramessess's summer palace, I did my research and settled on one spot that I believed would work best for the book. Months later, my choice was proven correct when archeologists found the summer palace in the very spot I'd picked.

These sort of things happened when I was writing Assassin's Heart. I would write something about Rome, go research after the fact and wouldn't have to change anything. Some would call this coincidence, but I believe in past lives, and I've had too many deja vu moments in my life to not believe that I'm just calling up old memories.

I love archeology, but I've neither the time nor the patience for it. It's a very painstaking job. It moves slower than a baseball game on a hot summer afternoon. I don't have that kind of patience!! :smileyvery-happy:

I've been a huge fan of archaeology my whole life and knew that's what I wanted to do when I grew up. My mom steered me clear of it though when I was younger telling me that there isn't any real job oppotunities in the field, she wanted me to go into medicine. So after High School I did a year of Nursing School in college, hated it, dropped out, and got married. After taking two years off of school, I realized that I was just going to go for it. So, currently I'm majored in Anthropology with a Minor in Archaeology. Not everyone gets to go digging around in desserts, although that would be awesome! You're right though, you need to have patience. In order to really get anywhere in the field, you need to at least have a master's degree or higher, but to have the chance of being surrounded by so much history is well worth the wait.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Author
MonicaBurns
0 Kudos

Katie,

Congrats on following your dream and not the path that others think you should. That's not always an easy thing to do. I know, it took me thirty years to get past "be prepared for pink slips."

It sounds like you've found your calling, and I think that's awesome!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Just saw that Monica is guest blogging here today: http://romancenovelsluts.com/2010/06/17/monica-burns/