Melanie_Murray

NOVEMBER FEATURE #1: BED OF ROSES by Nora Roberts

We have a jam-packed month for you all in terms of featured books. And the first of the lot is one by an author who needs no introduction from me!

It's Bed of Roses, the second in the Bride Quartet series.

Bed of Roses

Bed of Roses is the story of Emma and Jack Cooke, the might-as-well-be-brother to the four ladies who run Vows, a first-rate wedding outfit.

Here is the story synopsis:

As little girls MacKensie, Emma, Laurel, and Parker spent hours acting out their perfect make believe "I do" moments. Years later their fantasies become reality when they start their own wedding planning company to make every woman's dream day come true. With perfect flowers, delicious desserts, and joyful moments captured on film, Nora Roberts's Bride Quartet shares each woman's emotionally magical journey to romance.

In Bed of Roses, florist Emma Grant is finding career success with her friends at Vows wedding planning company, and her love life appears to be thriving. Though men swarm around her, she still hasn't found Mr. Right. And the last place she's looking is right under her nose.

But that's just where Jack Cooke is. He's so close to the women of Vows that he's practically family, but the architect has begun to admit to himself that his feelings for Emma have developed into much more than friendship. When Emma returns his passion-kiss for blistering kiss-they must trust in their history...and in their hearts.

I can't wait to hear what you all think of the book!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: NOVEMBER FEATURE #1: BED OF ROSES by Nora Roberts

The first book in the series, Vision in White, was our book club pick in June. Read up on what you all thought of the book here.

Vision in White

dhaupt

I'm picking up Bed of Roses tonight. YAY!!!

Melanie_Murray

I read it last night while my husband watched the baseball game. I'm anxious to hear what you think, Debbie, because I remember that you were luke-warm on the first book.

I really liked Emma and Jack, I think maybe a little more than I liked Mac and Carter. But I won't give anything away until you read!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure I preordered it. The whole wedding planner thing leaves me cold, but I love Nora Roberts' writing so I know I'll read it.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I'm pretty sure I preordered it. The whole wedding planner thing leaves me cold, but I love Nora Roberts' writing so I know I'll read it.

I liked the romantic nature of the wedding planning business, but I could do without all the details of the weddings the four ladies were working on. Did others mind all the wedding stuff?

Contributor
laurajzzz

I got my book last week and I am about half way through,   enjoying Emma and Jack.

I will say that this book makes it pretty clear who Laurel and Parker will end up with so looking forward to both stories.

I am kind of enjoying the wedding stuff just because it is something that I have limited knowledge or experience with and its interesting to me all of the work that goes into planning a wedding.  So when I get married - I'll just do it the easy way and elope!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

laurajzzz wrote:

I got my book last week and I am about half way through,   enjoying Emma and Jack.

I will say that this book makes it pretty clear who Laurel and Parker will end up with so looking forward to both stories.

I am kind of enjoying the wedding stuff just because it is something that I have limited knowledge or experience with and its interesting to me all of the work that goes into planning a wedding.  So when I get married - I'll just do it the easy way and elope!

Welcome to Romantic Reads, Laurajzzz!

That's interesting why you like the wedding details. Now that I think about it, I don't know why I'm annoyed by them, because I watch wedding shows all the time - Say Yes to the Dress, any show about making wedding cakes, catering, etc.

It is clear who the heroes for Parker and Laurel will be. I'm especially excited to read Laurel's story.

New User
exxoticdeath
0 Kudos

I have to say, I was expecting a bit more from Roberts. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, but not as much as I have enjoyed some of her previous books. Maybe it's just me, but I was hoping for a bit of drama. Any kind of drama!

I did however, love the relationship between the 4 women. I liked the characters Jack and Emma, although I kept wondering why would he make a move on her now, at this particular point in time. There had to be moments, in the past, where the two of them were alone, why not make a move then?

Another thing, Emma was shown to be this hot sexy woman whose had sex before but to me she came across as a bit naive.

I can't wait for the next book... hopefully, it'll be better :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i cant wait to read it, i have it on hold at the library, but i loved the first one so im sure itll be the smae for this one

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

exxoticdeath wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I was hoping for a bit of drama. Any kind of drama!

I totally agree with this. And also what you said about, "why now?"

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

dhaupt, Hi, I just ordered this book and it is on it way to me. I can't wait to read it. I loved the first one and I am sure that this one will be just as good. I love Nora Roberts. I also order her next J.D. Robb- Kindred in Death. I love that series.

I will let you know how I liked both of these books after I read them.

Talk to you soon.

ReadingPatti

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Patti and everyone,

I picked up my copy last night and will probably start reading it tomorrow or Thursday, right now I'm reading Dracula The Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker, very scary but very good.

1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Melanie & everyone - AnneB here - I finished Bed of Roses last night and I have read everyone's comments. Let me say first, that I liked the book. I liked the first one but I liked this one better. I think it's because Emma & Jack seemed more likeable than Mac & Carter - although I liked them, just not as much. I like - in both stories - the details of the business. To me, I enjoy learning about things, so the details of the business were interesting to me. The story was really a HEA, but who doesn't like that ???? I agree with those of you who mentioned that it is clear who Laurel and Parker will end up with. It will be interesting to find out the stories. All in all, it's a good series, very typical of Nora Roberts....but sometimes a little too predictable...

Anne

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Hi Melanie & everyone - AnneB here - I finished Bed of Roses last night and I have read everyone's comments. Let me say first, that I liked the book. I liked the first one but I liked this one better. I think it's because Emma & Jack seemed more likeable than Mac & Carter - although I liked them, just not as much. I like - in both stories - the details of the business. To me, I enjoy learning about things, so the details of the business were interesting to me. The story was really a HEA, but who doesn't like that ???? I agree with those of you who mentioned that it is clear who Laurel and Parker will end up with. It will be interesting to find out the stories. All in all, it's a good series, very typical of Nora Roberts....but sometimes a little too predictable...

Anne

I was thinking about both of the books in the series and I remembered that I really loved the subplot about Mac's mom in ViW.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if our reaction to this series depends on whether we're married or not. I can see where someone planning a wedding might really get into the details of the wedding preparations. For me, I love Nora's characters but didn't connect with the wedding planner aspect of the first book. Just got my copy of Book 2, I'll read it asap.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murrary, I just  got Bed of Roses and can't wait to read it. If it is as good as the first and I sure that this book will be just as good. I can't wait for the next two.

I am also reading J. D. Robb's Kindred in Death.

ReadingPatti

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Debbie, I just got my copy of Bed of Roses. It looks good. I loved the first one. I am sure that this one will be good also.

I can't wait for the last two.

I just started reading Kindred in Death.

ReadingPatti

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i went to the store and saw this book and couldnt resist- i had it on hold but since i had really like this one i decided to get it today, i cant wait to read it...,

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I finished Bed of Roses over the weekend.

I've also read all the comments and I have to agree with Anne the most I think.

I really liked this book. As for more drama, I didn't miss any. I think the drama of the relationship between Emma and Jack was tumultuous enough without having a murder or carjacking or etc. I love how the women all circle the wagons when one of them is in need and it makes me glad of my own friends and sisters, because that's what these women really are is sisters.

The only negative feeling I have about this series is that they are a bit predictable, but that's not always such a bad thing that we get a glimpse of what's to come and not be disappointed when girl 1 doesn't end up with boy 2 like we hoped. And further more I think it takes a very talented author to take a normal everyday romance and turn it into something we want to read and want to read the next installments as well.

I also love the way the women characters seem to balance each other out. And I too see where the next two romances are going and can't wait to see them develop and mature.

I liked Mac and Carter's story too, but I liked Carter way more in it then I did Mac and maybe that's why I liked Emma' story better, because we as women don't want to see ourselves as the villain in a story, even though Mac wasn't a villain we did want to strangle her a few times.

Happy Monday everyone and talk to you all later.