Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

NOVEMBER FEATURE #2: BLAZE OF MEMORY by Nalini Singh

[ Edited ]

Nalini Singh is the author of the unforgettable Psy-Changeling series. The books are set in the future, and involve both shapeshifters and a breed of beings called the Psy. The Psy are hunting down their breakaway descendents known as the Forgotten, the children of whom are being born with special abilities.

Blaze of Memory is the latest chapter in this amazing story.

Blaze of Memory

A woman without a past becomes the pawn of the man who controls her future...

Dev Santos discovers her unconcscious and battered, with no memory of who she is. All she knows is that she's dangerous. Charged with protecting his people's most vulnerable secrets, Dev is duty-bound to eliminate all threats. It's a task he's never hesitated to complete...until he finds himself drawn to a woman who might prove to be the enemy's most insidious weapon yet.

Stripped of her memories by a shadowy oppressor and programmed to carry out cold-blooded murder, Katya Haas is fighting desperately for her sanity. Her only hope is Dev. But how can she expect to gain the trust of a man who could very well be her next target? For in this game, one must die...

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: NOVEMBER FEATURE #2: BLAZE OF MEMORY by Nalini Singh

I'll add the links to the previous books in the series as soon as our Add Product button begins working again. In the meantime, head to Nalini's website for more information.

And Nalini herself will be here to answer all your questions about Blaze of Memory and all her books starting tomorrow, November 2nd through Friday, November 6th.

Welcome Nalini!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've read everything Nalini has written -- that is, all I've been able to get my hands on. I had to scour used bookstores for some of her earlier books. 

I'm totally ensnared by the world of the Psi and shifters/changers. I bought BLAZE OF MEMORY the day it came out. I started it, but had to set it aside because of a bunch of encroaching deadlines. I'm hoping to find some reading time later today -- that book is calling to me!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

It comes out tomorrow! That is impressive, Becke. :-)

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

So there are back books that I should get my hands on, Becke?  What do you recommend?  I've gobbled up all the Psy novels -- love them (as everyone can tell from their regular appearance in the column!)

And Nalini -- welcome to the book club again!

Cheers,

Eloisa

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

It comes out tomorrow! That is impressive, Becke. :-)

I bought it almost a week ago! How did that happen?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

aaaaaa

I've read CRAVING BEAUTY and DESERT WARRIOR. I think I have BOUND BY MARRIAGE in my TBR pile.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Melanie,

I'm getting my copy and hope to get it read in the next couple of days so I can be in on the discussion.  I have enjoyed her other Psy/Changling books.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Melanie,

I'm getting my copy and hope to get it read in the next couple of days so I can be in on the discussion.  I have enjoyed her other Psy/Changling books.

Toni

I'm so glad you'll be here to chat about the book, Toni!

Author
Nalini_Singh
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! Thanks for inviting me to the board - really looking forward to chatting with everyone about BLAZE! :smileyhappy:

Learn more about Blaze of Memory.

Discover all Nalini Singh titles.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Nalini,

Can you tell us a little about the book, what your thoughts are on the hero and heroine, and a general comment or two on the series?

Thanks!

Author
Nalini_Singh
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The book focuses on Katya and Dev. Dev is the leader of the Forgotten - these are the Psy who dropped out of the PsyNet rather than embrace the emotionless chill of Silence. And the Psy Council has been trying to kill off the Forgotten ever since. So when Dev finds an unconscious Psy woman on his doorstep, he's torn between his vows to protect his people...and the pull he feels toward this stranger who warns him that she might very well be a weapon.

Re the series - I think readers will get the most pleasure reading from the start (Slave to Sensation is the first book), but you can jump in easily anywhere from books 1-3.

New User
CatherineC
0 Kudos

Hi Nalini

LOVE these Changeling/Psy  books.  Went to my local BN today, sometimes they put the new releases out early.  Not only was BlazeofMemory out early, it was OUT EARLY!  Not one left in the store!!!!  WooHoo

big high five.  Good thing I have my e-book pre-ordered.

I'm looking forward to the coming books. I'm sure you can imagine how much we're all looking forward to the big story.  A certain Alpha wolf  hmmmmm  =)

Question: Does the fact that so many readers are looking forward to an unwritten book, take away from the excitement of the current release and past books?  They're all great!

Thanks for the great reads =)

CatherineC  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Hi Nalini,

I just got my copy just a couple of hours ago so I'm only a few chapters in but one thing that I've noticed in this book that is different from the other books are the letters you have inserted in this one.  I really like reading them and learning about the early days from someone who lived in the time frame.  Not to spoil any future books but are you going to do that with any of the new books that you write?  I will have more comments when I am furture along I'm sure.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Author
Nalini_Singh
0 Kudos

CatherineC wrote:

Question: Does the fact that so many readers are looking forward to an unwritten book, take away from the excitement of the current release and past books?  They're all great!

Thanks for the great reads =)

CatherineC  :smileyhappy:

Hi Catherine!

Personally,  no, I don't think it takes away from each book - because I see the excitement as excitement for the series as a whole. And the way the series is built, each book is a key part of the puzzle - I don't think readers would be happy if I skipped any of the characters :smileyhappy:

Author
Nalini_Singh
0 Kudos

Hi Toni - I really love the letters as well, so I'm happy to hear they're working for you. As for doing it again - it would depend on the demands of the book/storyline, as with each book, I have to consider the best way to get the information across.

For example, with Hostage to Pleasure, we had the little snippets that the tops of the chapters, and that worked for that book - it's something that I also utilize in BONDS OF JUSTICE (July 2010), but in a slightly modified form to suit the demands of the story.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Hostage To Pleasure is the one book I haven't been able to find in my used bookstore.  I got lucky with Blaze Of Memory a good friend gave me my copy today.  She is very sneaky about leaving them in my car for me to find so that I don't know for sure that it was her but I can;t think of anyone else that would do something like that.but she doesn't want me to thank her so I have to find some other way to thank her.  Usually I make her something and leave it on her doorstep.  So that she is not embrassed.  I am about a fourth of the way through the book and loving it.  Now I will just have to hope that I can find Hostage soon.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Nalini,

How many books do you envision writing in this series?

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Here are the Psy-Changeling books:

New User
0 Kudos

I found an early copy of Blaze of Memory at my local BN yesterday. I read it in one sitting! (I'm a fast reader. I tend to skim the first go around and then go back to re-read and savor.) I LOVED it!! Dev and Katya were so amazing together. Their struggles felt so real. I had to stop myself from flipping to the end to see how they managed to resolve some of their issues! I liked how the madness is starting to show up in the Forgotten. It helps to show that the early Psy were not evil or dumb for choosing Silence. There were reasons for choosing it. The letters were really amazing also. I liked seeing the personal account of an early Psy's struggle over the issue of Silence.

I loved seeing some of our favorite past changlings and Psy again. I especially enjoyed the scene with William and Judd. I wouldn't have minding even more Judd (he may be my fav). Which got me thinking. Nalini, you've created such great strong, amazing characters. When writting new stories, do you ever struggle with the balance of creating new strong characters while letting us revisit our favorite old friends? Some of our old fav's are so strong (Lucas in particular) I could see it being difficult to let them have a B story without them taking over.

Also, for those wondering about Nalini's early novels, I haven't read all of them but my two fav's so far are Awaken to Pleasure and Secrets in the Marriage Bed. Both really good.