Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

NOVEMBER FEATURE #4: TO DESIRE A DEVIL by Elizabeth Hoyt

I am thrilled that we are going to be talking about the final book in Elizabeth Hoyt's wonderful Legend of the Four Soldiers quartet, To Desire a Devil.

NOTHING IS MORE INTOXICATING-
Reynaud St. Aubyn has spent the last seven years in hellish captivity. Now half mad with fever he bursts into his ancestral home and demands his due. Can this wild-looking man truly be the last earl's heir, thought murdered by Indians years ago?

OR DANGEROUS-
Beatrice Corning, the niece of the present earl, is a proper English miss. But she has a secret: No real man has ever excited her more than the handsome youth in the portrait in her uncle's home. Suddenly, that very man is here, in the flesh-and luring her into his bed.

THAN SURRENDERING TO A DEVIL.
Only Beatrice can see past Reynaud's savagery to the noble man inside. For his part, Reynaud is drawn to this lovely lady, even as he is suspicious of her loyalty to her uncle. But can Beatrice's love tame a man who will stop at nothing to regain his title-even if it means sacrificing her innocence?

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: NOVEMBER FEATURE #4: TO DESIRE A DEVIL by Elizabeth Hoyt

Elizabeth will be gracing us with her online presence from November 16th through November 20th. In the meantime, check out her website for more information on this great series of books.

Frequent Contributor
njoireading
0 Kudos

I just finished the book this morning while on the treadmill (where I get my most reading done!).  I will be very interested in the discussion as this was the last book in the series.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

njoireading wrote:

I just finished the book this morning while on the treadmill (where I get my most reading done!).  I will be very interested in the discussion as this was the last book in the series.

I haven't read the fourth one yet - still waiting for my copy which should come shortly, but I did read the others. Without giving too much away, Njoireading, did you feel like the mystery was wrapped up properly?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm waiting for Book 4 to arrive, too. Too much to read this week, as it is!

Frequent Contributor
njoireading
0 Kudos

The mystery was "solved" but I thought that the whole thing was a bit contrived and it was too easy to guess who was the traitor, especially if you had been paying attention to the other books.  The story did a good job of providing "closure" for the characters though.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I am so glad to welcome the lovely and talented Ms. Hoyt to RR. Here are links to the other books in the series, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on wrapping it up, Elizabeth!

To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers Series #1)

To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers Series #2)

To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers Series #3)

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

HI Elizabeth!

My big question is what's coming next?  Are you doing another series or a stand-alone?  And if it's a series, what sort of thread pulls it together, if you can tell us that?

cheers, Eloisa

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

Author
Elizabeth-Hoyt
0 Kudos

Good morning, everyone! I'm so excited to be chatting on the boards this week.

I just wrapped up the first book of a new trilogy. The book is WICKED INTENTIONS, the trilogy is the Maiden Lane series. WICKED INTENTIONS takes place a little earlier than my previous books--the 1730's and 40's--when gin was causing so many social problems in London. London was the biggest city in the world and gin was very cheap and very plentiful and many poor people became addicted. WICKED INTENTIONS takes place in St. Giles, one of the poorest areas in the East End of London. Lazarus Huntington, Lord Caire is a rakish aristocrat who spends his nights searching for the murderer of his mistress. Temperance Dews is a widow who runs a foundling home in St. Giles. One night Lazarus approaches Temperance with a bargain: if she'll guide him in St. Giles he'll take her to high society parties so she can find a patron for her home. Except both Temperance and Lazarus have secrets they aren't telling the other....

Learn more about my latest book, To Beguile a Beast
Author
Elizabeth-Hoyt
0 Kudos

LOL! Mysteries are always kind of problematic in romances, I'm afraid. If the writer spends too much time on it, the romance suffers, and if they spend too little time, well then the reader feels cheated or that the mystery is solved too conveniently. 

Did you guess the fourth soldier before the fourth book, Njoireading? As the writer, I thought it was painfully obvious, but many readers have told me they were surprised. ;-) 

Frequent Contributor
njoireading
0 Kudos

I began to suspect the "villian" when he was first introduced.  It was obvious that it would not be the Reynaud (the man with the french mother), and after the deaths of other suspects, it became apparent, at least to me, that he was the one who survived an attempt on his life and the rest did not.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Elizabeth-Hoyt wrote:

LOL! Mysteries are always kind of problematic in romances, I'm afraid. If the writer spends too much time on it, the romance suffers, and if they spend too little time, well then the reader feels cheated or that the mystery is solved too conveniently. 

Did you guess the fourth soldier before the fourth book, Njoireading? As the writer, I thought it was painfully obvious, but many readers have told me they were surprised. ;-) 

I sure didn't guess, and I'm pretty good at mysteries. It was a doozie!

Frequent Contributor
Loves2ReadKR
0 Kudos

I actually read To Beguile a Beast first and loved it. I have since bought the other books, including To Desire a Devil. I still have yet to read it but am very excited to. I was just curious to know what inspired you to create The Legend of the Four Soldiers series?

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Welcome, Elizabeth! I'm so glad you're here.

I was thrilled to discover that Reynaud was the hero of this book. It made me happy for Emeline that he was alive!

Can you talk a little bit about how you feel about tortured heroes? There's been talk here in recent months about the topic, and you really have your heroes dealing with emotional trauma. Do these kinds of heroes appeal to you when you read, too?

Author
Elizabeth-Hoyt
0 Kudos

I started the Legend of the Four Soldiers at about the time that the war in Iraq began. I was thinking about the soldiers who would soon be returning home and the veterans of the war in Vietnam, some of whom were terribly damaged. There wasn't any mental health system in Georgian England of course and I began to wonder what it would be like for a man returning home from war at that time. How would he fit into a society far removed from the conflict? How would he deal with mental health issues at a time when they would seem crazy or unmanly?

And from those thoughts came the Legend of the Four Soldiers. ;-)

Author
Elizabeth-Hoyt
0 Kudos

I do like tortured heroes--or at least heroes who have several layers of depth. I realized the other day as I started the second book of my new Maiden Lane series, that the hero in it will be my first hero who isn't tortured. LOL! It should be interesting to see how he turns out!

But back to tortured heroes. I think it's because most men have a very hard time dealing with emotions, let alone traumatic emotions, that the tortured hero is so fascinating. We all want to heal them, to bring them peace.

What about other readers? Why do you like or dislike tortured heroes? Who stands out for you?

New User
Scorpio_M
0 Kudos

Hi Elizabeth

I like tortured/tormented heroes so long as the writer has written him in a believable manner, alot of times the brooding, tramautized hero is cast for mere affectation and plot device.

On another board today, it was name your favorite brooder hero and I named Laura Kinsale's, Lord Winter from THE DREAM HUNTER because I actually remember him! He stood out in a sea of manly heroic broodiness. She had written Winter (look at his name, lol!) with such stoic intensity that his emotions, words, glances were doled out like treasure. I remember thinking as I read, what IS this man thinking? What will make him bubble over? It was so tantalizing to try to figure this guy out! and of course, being female...wanting to fix him, give him peace =)

Maiden Lane series! I can hardly wait...is there a way to influence your editors/publishing gurus to push up the release date? August 2010, seriously?! that is SUCH a long time from now. I was also curious, is Lord Caire a blonde or was the silver hair a wig?

I am excited to learn that you will be writing a non-tortured hero. It such a rare commodity in romance. I know he will be great as all your heroes resonate yet are so different from one another. Harry Pye (cause I cannot NOT mention Harry) is so different from Vale and Vale so different from Sam, etc.

I think Judith Ivory's, Mick "The Rat Catcher" from THE PROPOSITION is the best non-tortured hero I've ever come across. He was OMG, happy! and content with life and family...what a novelty. I still smile when I think of his vitality and joy, his emotional ease. How he wanted to bring levity to the heroine's life. And by the way, Mick was OH so VERY sexxxxy. I wish more authors would take up the non-brooder/tormented hero challenge.

Thanks for chatting, the internet blog age has just opened up so many venues, all for the better. Happy writing!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Elizabeth,

One of my favorite parts of the book is the examination of the soldiers' care after they return from the war, and the fact that Beatrice wants Hope to help pass the bill provides such a nice, unusual dynamic to their romance. It's a conflict that you don't read about all the time, and I just loved it.

Do you do a lot of historical research when you write? And what appeals to you about the Georgian period, specifically?

M

Author
Elizabeth-Hoyt
0 Kudos

LOL, Brooder hero--makes me think he's laying eggs! ;-) But i agree on Kinsale's hero--one of the best things about her writing is how she makes every character unique--harder to do than one would think!

And Mick is one of my favorite heroes, too. He actually enjoyed his job as a ratcatcher--and he loved his awful mustache--I felt bad when the heroine made him shave it off. He was very much a guy.

Lord Caire in WICKED INTENTIONS (there's a first chapter excerpt at the back of TO DESIRE A DEVIL) has prematurely white hair, so it's his own not a wig.

Author
Elizabeth-Hoyt
0 Kudos

I had to do quite a bit of research into the eighteenth century Parliament, when it sat, how one became a member of the House of Lords (it's not automatic--the king has to basically invite the peer) what Westminster looked like (it's been burned down and rebuilt at least twice since then) etc.

Soldiers (and sailors) had it really bad in the eighteenth century. There was graft on just about every level so even the pitiful amount they were paid was cut and cut again by the time (and if) the solider got his money. I'm reading Samuel Pepys' diaries right now (on my iPhone!) and he talks about Charles II partying and spending lavishly and at the same time the sailors in the navy haven't been paid in months.

I like the Georgian period because I find it very romantic--the men are wearing swords, the women are in these unbelievably expensive gowns--and there's a lot going on politically and socially. Things are being invented, London is teaming with people from all over the world, and lots of things are happening.