Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: NOVEMBER FEATURE #4: TO DESIRE A DEVIL by Elizabeth Hoyt

Oh, I love Pepys' diaries -- they are fascinating!

The Diary of Samuel Pepys

New User
Scorpio_M
0 Kudos

Oh, prematurely white...that's so intriguing, don't recall ever coming across a hero with that feature before. I finished TDAD last week (sad to see the 4 Soldiers go), so I read the teaser chapter for Wicked Intentions already...that's where I took note of the hair color. Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
njoireading
0 Kudos

One other thing I would like to mention about the book.....the fairy tales.  Those were such a great addition; almost like a book within the book.  Are those real fairy tales or did you make them up?  I read a lot of fantasy novels too and it was like a mini Elizabeth Hayden book.

Also, I did like the discussion of Post Traumatic Stress.  Since I am of the late Vietnam War era, so many of the men and women who came back from 'Nam were affected.  It was described as a new phenonmenon at that time, but clearly wasn't.  This is a great description of the effect and how veterans were treated during this time period.  Also, Beatrice's friend who suffered from the loss of his legs; how similar to so many of the injuries from Vietnam, WWII and Korea.  Today it is severe brain injuries that are overwhelming in the returning soldiers.

Beguile the Beast was my favorite but the whole series captured and kept my interest but not necessarily because of the traitor plot but because of the characters and how they reacted to coming home and picking up the pieces of their lives.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Elizabeth-Hoyt wrote:

I had to do quite a bit of research into the eighteenth century Parliament, when it sat, how one became a member of the House of Lords (it's not automatic--the king has to basically invite the peer) what Westminster looked like (it's been burned down and rebuilt at least twice since then) etc.

Soldiers (and sailors) had it really bad in the eighteenth century. There was graft on just about every level so even the pitiful amount they were paid was cut and cut again by the time (and if) the solider got his money. I'm reading Samuel Pepys' diaries right now (on my iPhone!) and he talks about Charles II partying and spending lavishly and at the same time the sailors in the navy haven't been paid in months.

I like the Georgian period because I find it very romantic--the men are wearing swords, the women are in these unbelievably expensive gowns--and there's a lot going on politically and socially. Things are being invented, London is teaming with people from all over the world, and lots of things are happening.

Fascinating stuff, Elizabeth. I think all this context adds to the richness of your books, and I for one found the storyline with Jeremy fascinating in terms of the political context of what happens to these poor soldiers. It's quite a contrast I think, between Hope, whose mind has been hurt, and Jeremy, whose body has been hurt.
Author
Elizabeth-Hoyt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"Oh, I love Pepys' diaries -- they are fascinating!"

Aren't they? I've never read them before and I'm quite amused. He LOVEs name-dropping and every once and a while someone tells him some scientific or historical "fact" that's hilarious. ;-)

Learn more about my latest book, To Beguile a Beast
Author
Elizabeth-Hoyt
0 Kudos

Scorpio_M wrote:

Oh, prematurely white...that's so intriguing, don't recall ever coming across a hero with that feature before. I finished TDAD last week (sad to see the 4 Soldiers go), so I read the teaser chapter for Wicked Intentions already...that's where I took note of the hair color. Thanks!

I don't usually think of actors when I write my heroes, but for Caire I was picturing Jason Isaacs as the elder Malfoy in the Harry Potter movie...all that silvery hair...except Caire is, y'know, a good guy. ;-)

Author
Elizabeth-Hoyt
0 Kudos

njoireading wrote:

One other thing I would like to mention about the book.....the fairy tales.  Those were such a great addition; almost like a book within the book.  Are those real fairy tales or did you make them up?  I read a lot of fantasy novels too and it was like a mini Elizabeth Hayden book.

I make up the fairy tales, Njoireading, but they're based on other mythes/fairytales/legends. So for instance, Longsword, the fairy tale in TO DESIRE A DEVIL, has an evil figure offering a bargain that can't be refused by the hero, which is a very old theme in fairy tales and legends. If you're interested, I list all the myths/fairy tales that influenced my fairy tales in my FAQ section on my website.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Will you continue with the fairy tales in the Maiden Lane series?

Author
Elizabeth-Hoyt
0 Kudos

njoireading wrote:

Also, I did like the discussion of Post Traumatic Stress.  Since I am of the late Vietnam War era, so many of the men and women who came back from 'Nam were affected.  It was described as a new phenonmenon at that time, but clearly wasn't.  This is a great description of the effect and how veterans were treated during this time period.  Also, Beatrice's friend who suffered from the loss of his legs; how similar to so many of the injuries from Vietnam, WWII and Korea.  Today it is severe brain injuries that are overwhelming in the returning soldiers.

Beguile the Beast was my favorite but the whole series captured and kept my interest but not necessarily because of the traitor plot but because of the characters and how they reacted to coming home and picking up the pieces of their lives.

I'm glad you appreciated the PTSD discussion in the books, njoireading. I believe the problem of soldiers being affected long-term by battles was first noticed in the American Civil War. In World War I it was given the name "shell shock," and there are descriptions of it in the books from that time period. (Lord Peter Whimsey in Dorothy Sayer's mysteries has nightmares and has problems with his "nerves." The school teacher in GOODBYE MR. CHIPS has tremors when the book first opens and he'd newly back from the war.) I find it an interesting subject

Author
Elizabeth-Hoyt
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Will you continue with the fairy tales in the Maiden Lane series?

I thought about dropping them, but in the end decided I enjoy the interplay between the fairy tales and the main story, so yes, I'll be continuing them.

Frequent Contributor
Loves2ReadKR
0 Kudos

The inspiration behind The Legend of the Four Soldiers series is a very intriguing one. PTSD and other trauma that results from war are still a huge issue today, even with all of the mental health resources out there. Despite a greater knowledge of what it is, it is hard for people to grasp at times. Looking at this issue in your series is brilliant--it not only looks at how this would affect the soldiers themselves but also how it would affect every single interaction they have from there on out.

To answer another post, I think that tortured heroes often make the best hero. There is so much depth and character to the men and to the story itself. How does this impact how the man interacts with others and his willingness to get emotionally involved in a relationship? The interplay between the hero and heroine is often stronger because there is a challenge to overcome that is not necessarily tangible (like a difference in status). I often find that when there is a tortured hero, there is usually a heroine who is tortured or dealing with a conflict as well. There is a realistic feel. The conclusion is very often, for me, more satisfying as well.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

It's been so nice having you here this week, Elizabeth.

One final thought I'd like to get your feedback on: I think Reynaud might be your most alpha alpha male. Was that intentional? Or did he just appear that way as you wrote him?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

"I think Reynaud might be your most alpha alpha male" -- I agree!