Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
0 Kudos

Re: New Authors

I make a list and then forget to bring it with me when I go book hunting :-)) I think I need to make a list and keep it in my car so it's there when I need it.

ISHON wrote:
Hi, has anyone ever bought a book they read before by mistake?
i've read so many books now i'm having difficulty remembering what i've read. I would hate to buy a book i've already read. Maybe i shold make a list so i can check before i buy a new book... :-)
I'm thinking of getting JJ Eternity. I've read most of her book and i can't remember if that was one of them. LOL

Message Edited by ISHON on 07-19-2007 04:47 PM

bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

bmbrennan wrote:
I make a list and then forget to bring it with me when I go book hunting :-)) I think I need to make a list and keep it in my car so it's there when I need it.

ISHON wrote:
i've read so many books now i'm having difficulty remembering what i've read. I would hate to buy a book i've already read. Maybe i shold make a list so i can check before i buy a new book... :-)
I'm thinking of getting JJ Eternity. I've read most of her book and i can't remember if that was one of them. LOL

Yes, I have had that problem. Sometimes, I have trouble remembering whether I have read a book or a review of a book, if it is an author that I like. About a year ago, I picked up this little spiral bound journal titled "Books to Check Out: A Journal" (www.chroniclebooks.com) There are sections to list 1)books to read 2)favorite books (which I list by author) 3) books borrowed/lent. I added a list for authors I do not prefer.......so I do not get tricked by adverising hype if I have read enough by the author to know that I do not want to purchase another book by that author. There is also pocket folder at the back, where I stick interesting reviews/summaries that I have clipped out of promotional brochures. This little journal measures about 4x6 inchs so it easily fits in my purse or the console of my car. Do I forget to bring it with me into the bookstore or library, you bet I do. But I still find it as a handy reference if I am looking for ideas for what to read next.

Janet
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

book list

homereader wrote:

bmbrennan wrote:

ISHON wrote:

Yes, I have had that problem. Sometimes, I have trouble remembering whether I have read a book or a review of a book, if it is an author that I like. About a year ago, I picked up this little spiral bound journal titled "Books to Check Out: A Journal" (www.chroniclebooks.com) There are sections to list 1)books to read 2)favorite books (which I list by author) 3) books borrowed/lent. I added a list for authors I do not prefer.......so I do not get tricked by adverising hype if I have read enough by the author to know that I do not want to purchase another book by that author. There is also pocket folder at the back, where I stick interesting reviews/summaries that I have clipped out of promotional brochures. This little journal measures about 4x6 inchs so it easily fits in my purse or the console of my car. Do I forget to bring it with me into the bookstore or library, you bet I do. But I still find it as a handy reference if I am looking for ideas for what to read next.

Janet

I like the sound of that journal. What a neat idea. I started a book list and now I keep it in the duffel bag that I take to the library/bookstore/sales (when I remember it). I started writing book suggestions on a piece of scrap paper until that got too messy. Then it was notebook paper until I couldn't keep track anymore so I started to put them alphabetically by author. When that became overloaded I put them on the computer since that makes it much easier to keep adding to. Now I print a copy (it's several pages) and cross out the ones I've read in pencil but I don't delete them. That way I can keep track of what I've finished so I don't get them again (as often!). I also circle the ones I own. When I want to add to the list I just write it in until I get a bunch and then I go back to my saved list on the computer and I type those in and print a new copy. It sounds complicated but it's not and it's so much better than the messy pieces of paper I had all over the place. Works for me!
Reader 2
NYCpoeta
0 Kudos

Hollace M. Metzger, Poetry Volume I, "Observing the Labyrinth from Heaven" c.2007, available at http://www.lulu.com/content/866488

"For under your pillow, when your lover is gone..."
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: book list

Wrighty wrote:

homereader wrote:

bmbrennan wrote:

ISHON wrote:

Janet

I like the sound of that journal. What a neat idea. I started a book list and now I keep it in the duffel bag that I take to the library/bookstore/sales (when I remember it). I started writing book suggestions on a piece of scrap paper until that got too messy. Then it was notebook paper until I couldn't keep track anymore so I started to put them alphabetically by author. When that became overloaded I put them on the computer since that makes it much easier to keep adding to. Now I print a copy (it's several pages) and cross out the ones I've read in pencil but I don't delete them. That way I can keep track of what I've finished so I don't get them again (as often!). I also circle the ones I own. When I want to add to the list I just write it in until I get a bunch and then I go back to my saved list on the computer and I type those in and print a new copy. It sounds complicated but it's not and it's so much better than the messy pieces of paper I had all over the place. Works for me!

That sounds great! Wrighty. Will have to try that! I am always losing lists.
Frequent Contributor
rmancerdr87
0 Kudos

Haha.. oh man, I have this 3 page list of books I have found off of book websites of all the books I want and haven't read and I keep it in my purse. So when me and my boyfriend go to the book stores, I have to pull out my really long list and laughs and gets so embaressed! lol.
- Jessica :smileyhappy:
becke_davis
0 Kudos

rmancerdr87 wrote:
I have been reading regency romance for years.. lol and I am only 20! I have a hard time finding new authors. I have already read Julia Quinns books, Johanna Lindsey, Lisa Kleypas, Suzanne Enoch(not sure if I spelt right)Jo Beverly, and am now reading Stephanie Laurens series. Can anyone suggest any new authors that are really good? Thank you!

I'm the queen of post-it notes. It drives my husband nuts! He likes things to be organized in Day-Timers, etc. and he's always giving them to me as gifts. I start out making myself notes in them but always end up with post-its. I should make more book lists -- I'm not that organized.
Frequent Contributor
rmancerdr87
0 Kudos

Yea, it helps, as long as you dont ever forget your book list. I dont try to remember the book names bc I have them all on list, so sometimes I get stuck!
- Jessica :smileyhappy:
Author
ShanaGalen
0 Kudos

I have some great new authors I can recommend.

Jenna Petersen
Anne Mallory
Robyn DeHart
Kimberly Logan
Shirley Karr
Margo Maguire
Cindy Kirk
Elizabeth Vaughan
Sophie Jordan

You won't be disappointed!
Shana

Learn more about Blackthorne's Bride.
New User
Delilah_Devlin
0 Kudos

I have to second (or is it third!) on the Julie Garwood historicals. Every one of them is on my keeper shelf. My favorites being THE BRIDE and SAVING GRACE.

I also adore Johanna Lindsey, although my personal favorite of hers isn't historical, but a futuristic called WARRIOR'S WOMAN (I think). The first in that genre I ever read, and so darn sexy I passed it around to the other female officers I shared quarters with in Saudi during Desert Storm. Let me tell you, the pages were dog-eared! :smileyhappy:
Delilah Devlin
  • *A Red-Hot Read! "An amazing blend of storytelling smothered in carnal ferocity..."
  • *See what else is cookin'! Delilah Devlin's website
    becke_davis
    0 Kudos

ShanaGalen wrote:
    I have some great new authors I can recommend.

Jenna Petersen
    Anne Mallory
    Robyn DeHart
    Kimberly Logan
    Shirley Karr
    Margo Maguire
    Cindy Kirk
    Elizabeth Vaughan
    Sophie Jordan

You won't be disappointed!
    Shana

I haven't read any of these authors so I appreciate your recommendation. As a matter of fact, I just heard from Jenna Petersen and I think she will be stopping in for a visit soon.
    Author
    JennaPetersen
    0 Kudos

Thanks Shana, for the recommend! If you guys are wondering what I write, I write historical romance for Avon as Jenna Petersen. I also write erotic romance as Jess Michaels for Avon Red. Here are descriptions for my two most recent books:

SEDUCTION IS FOREVER (Jenna Petersen, October 2007)-- Master spy Emily Redgrave hasn’t been the same since a night six months ago when she was cut down by a would-be assassin’s bullet. Though she is physically recovered, she’s still haunted by memories of the trauma and regrets for what almost happened. She’s desperate to re-enter the field and regain her confidence. When she’s assigned to follow and protect Grant Ashbury, the Earl of Westfield, she reluctantly accepts, knowing this ‘babysitting’ duty could very well lead to more advanced cases.

What she doesn’t know is that Grant is a troubled spy in his own right. And he’s just been assigned to follow her by his own superior officers. But as the two chase each other around London, they inadvertently uncover a real case and a magnetic desire that draws them together in shocking, scandalous ways. Can Grant and Emily overcome their past traumas and work together?

EVERYTHING FORBIDDEN (Jess Michaels, November 2007) -- Country miss Miranda Albright has secretly watched her wicked neighbor, Ethan Hamon, the Earl of Rothschild, as he 'entertained' lovers on the grounds of his country estate for three summers. But after her father dies and the family falls into financial peril, Miranda is driven to strike a bargain with the Earl. He will play financial and social host for a Season for each of her three younger sisters... in exchange for three months of sin with her.

Miranda has always ached for the passion she’s spied upon, but she knows Ethan is the kind of man who could steal her heart, as well as claim her body. And falling in love with a man who admits she is nothing but a game to him could be the most dangerous and forbidden seduction of all.

Both are available here on Barnes and Noble (I've included the links with the titles).

As for who I'd recommend, definitely Kathryn Smith, who is spectacular! She writes historical romance and historical vampires that are the only vamps I read! I also really like Susanna Carr for contemporary. Have you tried Anna Campbell? Her books are very dark historical.

JennaP
    Frequent Contributor
    skipster56
    0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
    Hello. I am an author of love poetry and my publisher has recently released my first novel,Dangerous Love, 2010 A.D.

I received my author copies and sent them for reviews. A young girl, where I work, wanted to read it, and finished the book, last night. Her reaction was what I wanted to achieve. Full surprise at the ending and her one statement that, I considered my greatest achievement, was when she read one of the final chapters and paragraphs, she stated, "I got tears in my eyes and almost lost my breath."
    I write romance novels with a big twist. Romance with Terrorism, Romance in a Chiller novel.
    I have always believed romance can be found in every aspect of one's life.

Thank you and happy reading in your choices of literature. Skip Stover, author

Message Edited by Maria_H on 11-14-2007 09:58 AM
    View the new web page for Dangerous Love at www.skipstover.com
    becke_davis
    0 Kudos

skipster56 wrote:
    Hello. I am an author of love poetry and my publisher has recently released my first novel,Dangerous Love, 2010 A.D.

I received my author copies and sent them for reviews. A young girl, where I work, wanted to read it, and finished the book, last night. Her reaction was what I wanted to achieve. Full surprise at the ending and her one statement that, I considered my greatest achievement, was when she read one of the final chapters and paragraphs, she stated, "I got tears in my eyes and almost lost my breath."
    I write romance novels with a big twist. Romance with Terrorism, Romance in a Chiller novel.
    I have always believed romance can be found in every aspect of one's life.

Thank you and happy reading in your choices of literature. Skip Stover, author

Message Edited by Maria_H on 11-14-2007 09:58 AM

Are your books available at BN.com? If so, please post links to them in case our participants would like to order them. Thanks for joining us!
    Frequent Contributor
    skipster56
    0 Kudos

Dangerous Love, 2010 A.D. will be available on-line at B&N and in major bookstores. The book was published, but I had the publisher halt production. My graphics Artist added a design to the cover to make it more attractive. If you view the book, you will see Dangerous Love, 2010 A.D. in red letters. The letters are being outlined in white, to make them appear as raised lettering. The ISBN# is 9781432708207. My love poetry book is available at www.barnesandnoble.com Solitary Thoughts, Wings of a Love.
    I sent 3 author copies out for reviewing which will be included in the book. I am in touch with B&N Small Press department for having the book placed in all the B&N stores. Thank you for the note. Have a wonderful day. Skip Stover
    New User
    simplelife
    0 Kudos

Catherine Coulter is a good romance author. I like her historical romances. Luanne Rice's Silver Bells is a wonderful Christmas read too. I would highly suggest it for anyone who would want a lighthearted holiday read.
    Author
    ChristineWells
    0 Kudos

Just had a quick look on my keeper shelf for authors who write Regency historicals (other than those you've mentioned):
    Anna Campbell
    Anne Gracie
    Anne Stuart
    Loretta Chase
    Laura Kinsale
    Liz Carlyle
    Mary Balogh
    Mary Jo Putney

I write them too but I'll leave others to judge how good they are:smileyhappy:
    SCANDAL'S DAUGHTER, Berkley Sensation, Out Now
    THE DANGEROUS DUKE, Berkley Sensation, September 2008
    http://www.christine-wells.com
    http://romancebandits.blogspot.com
    Frequent Contributor
    skipster56
    0 Kudos

You can now visit my new web page for Dangerous Love, 2010 A.D. a futuristic Romantic/Suspense novel at: www.skipstover.com
    Contributor
    emily55
    0 Kudos

I don't think anyone mentioned Julie Garwood as an author to read. She is one of my favorites along with stephanie laurens, johanna lindsey, jude deveraux, judith mcnaught, julia quinn, and lisa kleypas.
    Melanie_Murray
    0 Kudos

emily55 wrote:
    I don't think anyone mentioned Julie Garwood as an author to read.

How could we forget to mention her? I just love her books...