Melanie_Murray

New Jersey!

As Deb and Becke know, yesterday we bought a house in New Jersey. Now, all my friends are making Snooki and Sopranos jokes, but we romance readers know what Jersey really means!

Here's what I'll be reading when I move, to get into the Jersey spirit. :smileywink:

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum Series #1)  

Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum Series #2)  

Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum Series #3)  

Four to Score (Stephanie Plum Series #4)  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Jersey!

[ Edited ]

Melanie_Murray wrote:

As Deb and Becke know, yesterday we bought a house in New Jersey. Now, all my friends are making Snooki and Sopranos jokes, but we romance readers know what Jersey really means!

Here's what I'll be reading when I move, to get into the Jersey spirit. :smileywink:

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum Series #1)  

Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum Series #2)  

Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum Series #3)  

Four to Score (Stephanie Plum Series #4)  

You Bet Melanie and now we romantiacs here on your forum would like to see your "big hair" pic. Then you'll be a true New Jersian :smileyhappy:

congrats!!!

imgres.jpeg

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite

Congratulations!! I love New Jersey (my parents live there).

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

msmoonlite wrote:

I will learn to love it. :smileywink:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

msmoonlite wrote:

Moving is always hard! I hope it starts feeling like home soon!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:

msmoonlite wrote:

Moving is always hard! I hope it starts feeling like home soon!

Becke...the books. My god, the books.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Hey, Melanie, don't despair!  There is stuff to see and do in New Jersey that doesn't involve Snooki, the Sopranos or landfills!  :smileyhappy:   I'm admittedly prejudiced in favor of the Princeton area, because we lived there when I was little and I was pretty happy there, but there's other cool stuff to see too!

1.  Drive up to the Delaware Water Gap.  It was an awful place to be forced to live as a teenager (like living the movie "Deliverance"), but, to an adult, it will seem bucolic.  For an extra treat for those who want to get away from too much civilization, drive the whole way up on Route 29 or its Pennsylvania twin Route 32.  Just be sure to start with a full tank of gas. 

2.  Stroll the Princeton Battlefield.  It's the place where a bunch of raggedy farm boys gave what was at the time nearly the world's largest, best-trained, best-equipped army its second humiliating bloody nose in the space of a week.  Unfortunately, you can't play on the cannons anymore; they've been removed (I assume they were vandalized, doubtless by Snooki, et. al.).

3.  If you can find a place to park on Nassau Street (very rare), wander the grounds of Princeton University.  There's probably security that will prevent you from actually getting inside any of the buildings, but the outsides are still worth seeing -- like nearly every big university, it evolved slowly over a long period of time, so the buildings are all different styles and there's lots of grass and huge old trees and stuff to look at.  If you can get one of those guided tours of Nassau Hall, do so; when Princeton (very briefly) was the Capital of the United States, it used to be the Capitol Building.  The tour includes a look at a small piece of well-preserved Revolutionary War battle damage.  Go window-shopping in Palmer Square.  Nearly everything there is overpriced, but looking is still free!  Ditto for Nassau Street!

4.  If you feel like blowing a bunch of money, stay at any of the bed-and-breakfasts near Washington's Crossing (on either side of the Delaware).  They're beautiful, but awfully over-priced.  Visit the museum.  Go window-shopping in New Hope.

5.  Drive through the Pine Barrens along (I think) Route 40 (I'm not sure about the exact route number).

6.  If you can't stay away from the shore, go to Ocean City.  I believe alcohol is still forbidden there, so you are less likely to see people like Snooki drinking or brawling there.

Above all, enjoy!  There really is stuff worth looking at in New Jersey!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff

Contributor
sharonRNNJ

You can't miss with Grounds for Sculpture (a hop, skip, and an exit on I295 from Princeton), which is a not-for-profit contemporary sculpture garden and education center http://www.groundsforsculpture.org/RatsRestaurant/index.html. There's a fabulous restaurant there with the most unlikely name of Rats. Don't be deterred; Rats is a reference to Ratty in the Wind in the Willows. Note: this is primarily an adults' restaurant but from what I've seen, well behaved children are welcomed. Welcome to Joisy!
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

sharonRNNJ wrote:
You can't miss with Grounds for Sculpture (a hop, skip, and an exit on I295 from Princeton), which is a not-for-profit contemporary sculpture garden and education center http://www.groundsforsculpture.org/RatsRestaurant/index.html. There's a fabulous restaurant there with the most unlikely name of Rats. Don't be deterred; Rats is a reference to Ratty in the Wind in the Willows. Note: this is primarily an adults' restaurant but from what I've seen, well behaved children are welcomed. Welcome to Joisy!

Sounds interesting; thanks, Sharon!

Jeff

becke_davis

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Hey, Melanie, don't despair!  There is stuff to see and do in New Jersey that doesn't involve Snooki, the Sopranos or landfills!  :smileyhappy:   I'm admittedly prejudiced in favor of the Princeton area, because we lived there when I was little and I was pretty happy there, but there's other cool stuff to see too!

1.  Drive up to the Delaware Water Gap.  It was an awful place to be forced to live as a teenager (like living the movie "Deliverance"), but, to an adult, it will seem bucolic.  For an extra treat for those who want to get away from too much civilization, drive the whole way up on Route 29 or its Pennsylvania twin Route 32.  Just be sure to start with a full tank of gas. 

2.  Stroll the Princeton Battlefield.  It's the place where a bunch of raggedy farm boys gave what was at the time nearly the world's largest, best-trained, best-equipped army its second humiliating bloody nose in the space of a week.  Unfortunately, you can't play on the cannons anymore; they've been removed (I assume they were vandalized, doubtless by Snooki, et. al.).

3.  If you can find a place to park on Nassau Street (very rare), wander the grounds of Princeton University.  There's probably security that will prevent you from actually getting inside any of the buildings, but the outsides are still worth seeing -- like nearly every big university, it evolved slowly over a long period of time, so the buildings are all different styles and there's lots of grass and huge old trees and stuff to look at.  If you can get one of those guided tours of Nassau Hall, do so; when Princeton (very briefly) was the Capital of the United States, it used to be the Capitol Building.  The tour includes a look at a small piece of well-preserved Revolutionary War battle damage.  Go window-shopping in Palmer Square.  Nearly everything there is overpriced, but looking is still free!  Ditto for Nassau Street!

4.  If you feel like blowing a bunch of money, stay at any of the bed-and-breakfasts near Washington's Crossing (on either side of the Delaware).  They're beautiful, but awfully over-priced.  Visit the museum.  Go window-shopping in New Hope.

5.  Drive through the Pine Barrens along (I think) Route 40 (I'm not sure about the exact route number).

6.  If you can't stay away from the shore, go to Ocean City.  I believe alcohol is still forbidden there, so you are less likely to see people like Snooki drinking or brawling there.

Above all, enjoy!  There really is stuff worth looking at in New Jersey!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff

I used to live in Succasunna, not far from the Delaware Water Gap. There were lots of cool things in that area - Lake Hopatcong, Chester, Morristown, and I remember going to a drive-in movie theater in Sparta that was showing one of the Aliens movies and getting scared half to death!

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I used to live in Succasunna, not far from the Delaware Water Gap. There were lots of cool things in that area - Lake Hopatcong, Chester, Morristown, and I remember going to a drive-in movie theater in Sparta that was showing one of the Aliens movies and getting scared half to death!

Wow; there used to be a drive-in in Newton, too!  And when I was a kid, you could actually still swim in Lake Susquehanna.

I hated Blairstown a million years ago when I was a teenager, but: 

a)  I'm sure things are different now (I haven't even visited in many years)

b)  It would be completely different to go there the first time as an adult!  :smileyhappy:

Most people have no idea any part of New Jersey looks like that at all.  To them, "New Jersey farm" is an oxymoron! 

Jeff

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

3.  If you can find a place to park on Nassau Street (very rare), wander the grounds of Princeton University. 

Gee, looks like I should have added, "Be sure you lurk in the bushes on the University grounds, desperately and pathetically hunting for a husband, because if you don't, no one will ever take care of you." 

Oh, wait.  Yeah, this is 2013, not 1953.  My bad.   :smileyvery-happy:

Jeff

becke_davis

Melanie - Our daughter was two when we moved to New Jersey. This wasn't a very long drive and our daughter LOVED it:

http://www.sesameplace.com/sesame2/