Melanie_Murray

New Release Tuesday!

Hey there,

I thought I'd start posting regularly about some of the new releases out there - call it my New Year's Resolution!

There are some great authors with new books out today!

Catherine Anderson's Star Bright sounds really good. It's about a woman who fakes her own death to escape her abusive husband. Ther Library Journal called this "one of the author's best to date." I'm ordering a copy today. And I have to say that I think her covers are some of the best. They always catch my eye. 

Lora Leigh's Only Pleasure is part of her Bound Hearts series. This series is very, very sexy, so those of you who like your romances hot this is the author for you!

Jacquie D'Alessandro is one of my favorite historical romance authors. Her characters are intelligent and her storylines are always unique and fresh. I've read Sleepless at Midnight and Confessions at Midnight, and now the latest in this series is out: Seduced at Midnight. If you're looking for a new historical author to try, I highly recommend Jacquie.

I know that many of you have been looking for a new time-travel romance series, and this one seems promising: author Veronica Wolff has written three romances featuring modern-day heroines time-traveling back to seventeenth-century Scotland. The third in the series, Warrior of the Highlands, is out today. I linked to her website; it's really beautiful!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: New Release Tuesday!

MORE books I want to read!  I seriously hope there is such a thing as reincarnation because it's going to take me more than one lifetime to read all thse books!
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
MORE books I want to read!  I seriously hope there is such a thing as reincarnation because it's going to take me more than one lifetime to read all thse books!

I know! I'm really intrigued by the Veronica Wolff books. Has anyone read her?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I know! I'm really intrigued by the Veronica Wolff books. Has anyone read her?
No, but Master of the Highlands intrigues me -- I love mazes!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

The last Tuesday of the month is the best Tuesday of the month! Today we have a long-awaited historical from a favorite vampire-series author, two romantic suspense books from up-and-coming writers, and several paranormals. Oh, our poor, poor TBR piles...

SUSPENSE:

Evil Without a Face by Jordan Dane. Avon started this author's career last year, and her books are gritty and suspenseful and true page-turners. If you are looking for a new suspense author, Jordan Dane is one to try. You can learn more about her here.

Seeing Red by Susan Crandall. Susan's first books were really wonderful, warm women's fiction in the style of Luanne Rice. (Her debut, Back Roads, won the RITA award for Best First Book.) But with last year's Pitch Black, she started writing suspense. The review for Seeing Red is amazing: she's taken her talent for writing about family dysfunction and added in a dark, suspenseful plot. I'm going to add this one to my TBR pile. My TBR tower.

Crash into Me by Jill Sorenson. Agent Sonny Vasquez is after a serial killer, and the prime suspect is famed surfer Ben Fortune. For those of you who like a strong story along with your romance.

HISTORICAL:

Lynsay Sands hasn't published a historical in almost two years! But today you can buy Devil of the Highlands, a medieval set in Scotland.

A Highlander of Her Own by Melissa Mayhue is a time-travel romance about a Texan woman who, thanks to a little Faerie magic, ends up in medieval Scotland on the trail of her True Love. This is a must-read for any lover of Diana Gabaldon.

And if you still crave more Scottish heroes, try Monica McCarty's Highland Warrior. I love this title - it tells you exactly what the book's about!

Enough of Scotland. Travel a little south into England with Madeline Hunter's latest. You all know how much I love her books. They are richly woven tapestries of character, plot, and romance. The Sins of Lord Easterbrook is about a man with a secret who is determined to win the woman who left him seven years earlier.

PARANORMAL:

Looking for a werewolf romance? Try Divine Fantasy by Melanie Jackson. It's the fourth book in her Divine Series.

Darkness Unknown by Alexis Morgan is part of her series about Paladins, a race of warriors born to defend against the evil Others. Check out her website.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I forgot to mention Julianne MacLean's When a Stranger Loves Me. Just look at that cover! I want to dive into the folds of the skirt on that dress!

Also, please post when and if you read some of these.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Now there's the difference between us, Melanie.  You are drooling over the dress, while my critique partner and I have been collecting chests.  This is one of our current favorites: Untamed  

Sign me:  Shallow and loving it 

New User
Romancia
0 Kudos

Ummm...Can we have the back scene too..bare chest + kilt = Yummy!

Is it a historical Romance?

I'ma alwasys interested in adding to my collections of Yums! Like Brenday Joyce "The Master of Times" series. What a blatant display of bare chest. The scenes int his book are even better

I also Second "Shallow and Loving it"...lol

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Now there's the difference between us, Melanie.  You are drooling over the dress, while my critique partner and I have been collecting chests.  This is one of our current favorites: Untamed  

Sign me:  Shallow and loving it 

Yum, Becke any bare chest with a kilt at the bottom gets my vote! Pardon the drool! 

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tuesdays come too fast! I'm already backlogged from last week, and now there's a whole new crop of amazing books out!

Not only is today the official release day of So Enchanting by Connie Brockway and Dogs and Goddesses by Jennifer Crusie, Lani Diane Rich, and Anne Stuart, but there are new books by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Cheyenne McCray and Lora Leigh!

I'm a huge fan of Cheyenne McCray's paranormal romances, so I can't wait to try her romantic suspenses. First Sin is a dark story about two law enforcement officers who go undercover to stop a sex slave trade.

Dream Warrior by Sherrilyn Kenyon is part of her Dream-Hunter series. This website sums up the world of Sherrilyn Kenyon's books far better than I can, but if you haven't read her you MUST!

Coyote's Mate is the latest in Lora Leigh's Breed series. There isn't much to say: coyotes, steamy sex scenes. I think most of the posters here know Lora's books, but if you don't and you're looking for sexy shapeshifter books, give this series a try.

The Bikini Diaries by Lacey Alexander sounds steamy! This is the story of a shy woman who reinvents herself while on vacation and aims to have a good time, if you know what I mean. Lacey Alexander is a pen name for Toni Blake, who writes erotica as well as anyone I've ever read.

Tangled up in Love is a funny, sexy contemporary by Heidi Betts. I know her Silhouette books, and am eager to try this single title. I love the cover (maybe because I'm learning to knit and all covers with yarn appeal to me these days!) and the reviews of this one are great! The premise is adorable: a female reporter challenges her rival male reporter to learn to knit!

Claudia Dain writes a series about a matchmaking courtesan, Sophia Dalby. The Courtesan's Wager is her latest book, about a lady so desperate to marry that she agrees to Sophia's plan to interview dukes.

This book looks promising to me: Kate Emerson's Secrets of the Tudor Court: The Pleasure Palace. First, I know Becke laughs at me for this, but that's a dress I could dive into. Second, this is historical fiction taking place in the court of King Henry VIII. Third, this title leads me to believe that it's going to be a sexy read.

But for Becke, and her "great chest" collection, here's Shattered by JoAnn Ross. This is a suspense novel about a man and woman who had an affair while serving in Iraq, and who now are teaming up to save hostages in Central America.

Finally, today is the release of Shiloh Walker's Fragile. Shiloh is visiting today, bouncing back and forth between the mystery and romance board. You can check out her website here, and read a bit about the book here and here.

Message Edited by Melanie_Murray on 02-03-2009 01:31 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oooh, thanks for the chest!  Why hasn't some marketing genius come up with a calendar of hot romance covers?  I'd buy one, that's for sure!

I'll be picking up Lacey Alexander's new book at a book signing at the Barnes and Noble in West Chester, Ohio this Saturday.  She, and a LOT of other local authors will be signing books there from 1-3 p.m.  A big thanks to Linda Keller of Barnes and Noble, who does a great job of supporting the local romance writing industry!

I have several other books on this list preordered, so my mailman will be cursing me, as usual, for not having a bigger mailbox.  But so many exciting new books to read -- yeah! 

Author
Shiloh_walker
0 Kudos

Linda Keller is awesome...one of the best booksellers I've had the pleasure to meet.  :smileyhappy:

Shiloh Walker
http://shilohwalker.com/website

Learn more about Broken and Veil of Shadows.

Discover all Shiloh Walker titles.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Wasn't she a RWA bookseller of the year? I think I met her at Nationals but can't remember...
Author
Shiloh_walker
0 Kudos

I know she was nominated and I believe she won... I think...

Shiloh Walker
http://shilohwalker.com/website

Learn more about Broken and Veil of Shadows.

Discover all Shiloh Walker titles.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

My memory is in tragic shape these days, but I'm fairly sure it was her. She's super nice and so great for romance!
New User
Romancia
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Yum, Becke any bare chest with a kilt at the bottom gets my vote! Pardon the drool! 

LOL...(bare chest) B.C droolers in progress, as I've now purchased Untamed.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Today is the release day of the newest historical romance by Liz Carlyle, Tempted All Night. Here's the book blurb from Liz's website:

Tempted All Night, by Liz Carlyle

Even the most careful lady can be swayed by a scoundrel . . . 

Lady Phaedra Northampton is a proper English miss—but burdened by a dark secret.  She's buried her shame in running her wealthy brother, Lord Nash’s, households while hiding behind a sharp wit and dull wardrobe . . . until a reckless village maid's disappearance pulls her into London's seedy underworld.

A former mercenary and jaded spy-for-hire, Tristan Talbot, Lord Avoncliffe, now does little, and manages to do it scandalously.  Though Tristan’s an out and out rogue, when his dying father begs him to delve into the secrets behind a notorious brothel—a perfect task for his talents!—Tristan can’t refuse.  Is the brothel a front for a notorious Russian spy ring?  Tristan is on the hunt—until his path collides with the oh-so-tempting Lady Phae.

Soon what should be a simple assignment becomes deliciously complicated . . . when deception and desire lead to an explosive passion—and deadly foes!

Liz has written several wonderful books, including the "Never" trilogy: Never Lie to a Lady, Never Deceive a Duke, and Never Romance A Rake. She's one of my must-buy historical authors.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What a day. The sheer number of amazing new releases is overwhelming! We've got the newest J.D. Robb and the beginning of a brand new Mary Balogh series. So, here goes:

CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE:

One Day at a Time by Danielle Steel: This new hardcover explores the dynamic of a celebrity family, and involves the black sheep of a famous writer who falls for a British actor.

Sunset Bay by Susan Mallery: Susan Mallery writes delightful romances for HQN that usually have something to do with baking or cooking, like Delicious, Tempting, Sweet Talk. But Sunset Bay is an emotional story about a woman coming to terms with the broken relationship she has with her sister. After she reconnects with her high-school love. For more on this author, check out her website.

Glamour by Louise Bagshawe: I've never read this author, but this sounds like a sweeping, Jackie Collins-esque epic about "three powerful women - once best friends, now deadly rivals." The plot sounds full of intrigue, emotion, and sex, as the three women rebuild their lives after they are upended.

HISTORICALS:

Temptation and Surrender by Stephanie Laurens: This hardcover is the fifteenth in the Cynster series.

First Comes Marriage by Mary Balogh: This is the first in a new series about a new family, the Huxtables! So those of you who have never read her, why don't you start now? You won't be disappointed. She's one of the best. Her books are smart, moving, sexy. And you won't have to wait long for the next installments, either. Then Comes Seduction is out in March and At Last Comes Love will be published in April. God, these covers! I'm drooling.

Love with the Perfect Scoundrel by Sophia Nash: I read this last week and it's wonderful. It's the third book in Sophia's Widow Club series.

Tempted by His Kiss by Tracy Anne Warren: She's the author of the Trap trilogy and the Mistress Trilogy. Check out her website here.

Other notable historicals: Bride of a Wicked Scotsman by Samantha James, Highland Outlaw by Monica McCarty, Seducing a Scottish Bride by Sue-Ellen Welfonder

PARANORMAL:

Promises in Death by J.D. Robb: This is the twenty-eighth book in the series! Just incredible.

Desire Unchained by Larissa Ione: The first in this seres, Pleasure Unbound, came out last year. This is about demons who run a hospital for the paranormal creatures in the world and it is sexy. The next book in the series, Passion Unleashed, comes out next month.

Hope's Folly by Linnea Sinclair: This is a futuristic about a rebel and the woman who has loved him since they were kids.

A Taste of Magic by Tracy Madison: This one looks charming! About a woman who is hired to bake her ex's wedding cake. But the things that she bakes are touched with magic, and hijinx (and romance!) ensue.

The Better to Hold You by Alisa Sheckley: Romantic fantasy about a veternarian whose husband returns from a trip changed.

Message Edited by Melanie_Murray on 02-24-2009 01:56 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lots of good ones here -- just when I was making a dent in the TBR pile!
New User
Yasmin
0 Kudos

I know. I am looking forward to many and now just waiting for my bn order
-------Yaya