Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Re: New Release Tuesday!

becke_davis, I too am over 50 and heading to 60., I will 57 on Christmas. My brother likes to tease me about buying books with good looking guys on the covers. He says that is why I buy them. I tell him that I do read them. I am not sure that he believes me.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Reading.

Hope you find some more books with hot guys on them and the stories are good.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm 57, Patti - my kids used to tease me about those book covers, too. Then I decided - hey, I'm old enough to know what I like, and if they think it's funny,too bad! I'm having as much fun at this age as I had at 17. I'm sure my choice of reading has something to do with that!

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, Good for you. Those can enjoy a hot guy on a book cover just as much anyone. I like covers then I enjoy the books. That is what it is all about finding a great book and if it just happens to have a hot guy on cover that completes it for me.

I love the covers. I wonder where they get the guys and girls who pose for the covers.

I once heard that there is a romance covention where you can go and even pose with some of the models in period dress. I think that would be so cool. It would be dream come true for me. To share with other who love romance and then get to meet some of the models and get a picture. WOW. That would be my dream vacation.

Happy reading

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh yes indeed there is -- it's the Romantic Times convention and in April 2010 it will be in Columbus, OH. I'm going to be on a panel at one of the workshops there AND I'm having dinner with Charles Paz, Mr.Romance 2009! Of course, most of my Romance Writers chapter will be there, too, but still!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi guys it's another of the red hat club here ;-) I'm a weeeee bit younger than the two of you but not by much.

Dinner with Charles Paz, have you read some of his comments on facebook? He's kinda naughty, but then we like em naughty don't we. And I like a hot cover on a romance as much as the next gal, but what I really need is sizzle between the pages, that gets my pulse to rise. Like Trial by Fire. OMG that was one wicked read.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi guys it's another of the red hat club here ;-) I'm a weeeee bit younger than the two of you but not by much.

Dinner with Charles Paz, have you read some of his comments on facebook? He's kinda naughty, but then we like em naughty don't we. And I like a hot cover on a romance as much as the next gal, but what I really need is sizzle between the pages, that gets my pulse to rise. Like Trial by Fire. OMG that was one wicked read.

Of course, he's a friend of mine on Facebook. Actually, most of my women friends are a lot naughtier than he is, but that should come as no surprise to you!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Of course, he's a friend of mine on Facebook. Actually, most of my women friends are a lot naughtier than he is, but that should come as no surprise to you!

(patting myself on the back) He's actually a friend of mine on facebook too thanks to you Becke. And I would be one of those women you're talking about too. ;-)

Correspondent
JalMor77
0 Kudos

My favorite day of the week!  I already have 2 books in my BN cart.  I read Trial by Fire over the weekend and LOVED it!  So I ordered the 2nd and the 3rd is being released today!!!

Let's see what Miss Melanie has in store for us. :smileywink:

We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh. - Agnes Repplier
0 Kudos

Okay, ladies and gents: sorry this is up so late in the day. But I'm sure the selection of great new reads will make you forget my tardiness. There are so many today that I'm breaking this up into two posts.

A Mermaid's Ransom  Read why this latest paranormal from author Joey W. Hill is on Michelle Buonfiglio's Best of 2009 list at Unabashedly Bookish

Hunter's Need  A steamy paranormal read from author Shiloh Walker about a shapeshifter and the psychic who betrayed and entices him.

Bound by Dreams by Christina Skye. American travel expert Kiera Morissey is adept at getting in and out of tight spots. But when a deathbed promise brings Kiera back to Draycott Abbey, her life is changed forever. For fifteen years, changed by turns to a swift creature of night, Calan MacKay has used his deadly strength and speed to protect. But he wakes with bruises on his body and blood on his hands. And Kiera may be the key to getting his life back.

Dating Outside Your DNA Special agent Roan Hendrix is a straight shooter with weapons and women, so he doesn't appreciate it when his boss throws him a curve. But what a curve. A half-human, half-Nerakian who needs a one-on-one crash course in how best to channel her powers.

Flame Seeker by Kay Danella. The eldest daughter of her clan, Alithia must secure her family's livelihood by retrieving an ancient relic in the fabled mountain realm. But she must take two husbands as a shield pair. With many competitors vying for her hand, Alithia proposes a contest: those who can best pleasure her win. But on the quest, as emotions run high and ecstasy runs wild, Alithia and her two victors are bound together by the journey's dangers, by a culture clash more intense than they ever imagined-and by a twist of fate that will change their lives forever.

Immortal Magnetic, fearless Fin Kahill is used to roaming the earth freely - not getting stuck in sleepy Clare Point. But when the clan needs him close by, Fin agrees to take a summer job on the town's tiny police force. He expects little excitement - until he meets Elena, an ethereal Italian beauty. As Fin struggles against his feelings for Elena, the peace in Clare Point is shattered by the inexplicable murder of a tourist. The young man's throat has been cut, his body eerily posed. When the killer strikes again, Fin wonders if a member of his own clan is responsible. The only one he can turn to is Elena, but he knows that falling in love with a human can be a deadly mistake. Yet just as Fin edges closer to solving the murders, he discovers Elena may not be exactly who, or what, she appears...

Once Bitten Angie McCaffrey latest advertising account, a cosmetics line for wannabe vampires, involves some unusual customer research at San Francisco's hippest private nightclub. The "undead" patrons are about as genuine as Macabre Factor's press-on fangs, but one thing is very real: the skin-tingling connection Angie feels with her clients' mysterious friend, Eric Taylor. Still, there are a few problems with this hot new romance. 1) Eric is rumored to have dated Angie's scheming boss, Lucy. 2) Lucy, missing for days, just turned up dead and bloodless. And, oh yeah, 3) Angie has suddenly developed a teeny aversion to sunlight. Is Eric a real vampire, a killer, or both? Angie's got a lot riding on the answer her heart, her life, and maybe even her soul. . .

Soul of the Wildcat   Wreathed in mists that are older than time, the mountain sanctuary of Jesse Clawfoot is threatened, and an ancient magic transforms him into a cougar. Ferocious. Powerful. On the prowl and lethally silent - until his instincts compel him to hunt for a mate, one who will help keep his people from extinction. His keen senses lead him to Dakoda Jenkins, whose beauty and compelling sensuality awaken his deepest lust and most ardent desire. Once aroused, Jesse must lure her to his hidden lair...and unleash her wildest passion...

The Moonlight Mistress  It is the eve of the Great War, and English chemist Lucilla Osbourne finds herself trapped on hostile German soil. Panicked and alone, she turns to a young Frenchman for shelter. Together they spend a night of intense passion, but their dangerous circumstances won't allow more than a brief affair.

Hidden Fire is the latest Station Five Firefighters book by Jo Davis. If you've been keeping up with the Romantic Reads board, you know this a new favorite author of the posters here.

Breakfast in Bed by Robin Kaye. Rich, the epitome of "anti-domestic," can't cook to save his life, and his idea of cleaning his apartment is to invite his mother over. When he notices that his soon-to-be-married friends cooked and cleaned their way into their women's hearts, he asks his friend Becca to help transform him into a nurturing man to win back his ex. Becca decides she'll give him the makeover he's asking for, though she'll be damned if she's going to turn him into a domestic god for another woman.

Shadows from the Past  When photojournalist Kamaria Trayhern goes undercover at the Mason family ranch, she's hoping to find her real father, not romance. But keeping everyone convinced she is who she claims to be will be harder than she expects—especially where one sexy ranch hand is concerned. After all he's been through, there's no way Wesley Sheridan wants to tangle with more heartache and lies. So the last thing he needs is to be drawn to the pretty new caretaker. But with a jealous killer out to rewrite Mason family history forever, two lonely hearts must learn to trust each other…if they hope to survive the season.

Double the Heat is an anthology with stories by Lori Foster, Deirdre Martin, Elizabeth Bevarly and Christie Ridgway.

Breathless by Bonnie Edwards. The notorious bordello Perdition House bares all its secrets - and ignites your wildest fantasies...Blue McCann longs to feel desired...needed ...wanted. Now, thanks to a mysterious corset, she's a lush-bodied beauty back in 1913. And she's going to reward the caring, oh-so-capable hands of Dr. Colt Stephens with all the pleasure he can take...Tawny James has legs - and secrets - that won't quit. And since she likes her men big and bad, private investigator Stack Hamilton is uncovering all her luscious desires...And when Mariel Gibson needs artistic inspiration, she calls hard-bodied carpenter Danny Glenn to work his masterpiece - over and over again. Because you can never, ever reveal too much...

Dying Scream by Mary Burton is a romantic suspense about a woman who's helping a detective search for a serial killer, a killer who may be the woman's presumed dead husband.

If Looks Could Chill by Nina Bruhns. No-nonsense Louisiana State trooper Tara Reeves reluctantly enlists the aid of Marc Lafayette, a too-sexy-for-his-own-good Cajun heartbreaker, to guide her on her search for evidence so she can bring down those responsible for a series of deaths on the Bayou.

Seducing the Heiress   Her wealth and beauty have made Miss Portia Crompton the catch of the season. Secretly determined to wed the maharajah’s son she left behind in India, Portia ignores the money-hungry bucks who ply her with bouquets and bonbons. But one suitor will not be deterred: Colin Byrd, Viscount Ratcliffe. He’s a rogue, a womanizer, and a murderer, and seduction comes as easily to him as breathing. Portia’s fortune is an irresistible lure until Colin’s mercenary scheme hits a snag. Winning her dowry is no longer enough—he wants her heart and her passion.  The more adamant she is in her refusal, the more determined he is to seduce her…

Desiring the Highlander  Though Cole McTiernay resists them in every way, he has responsibilities. The wild northern Highlands need a laird who can guide them to peace. Cole has the army strong enough to accomplish this task. What he doesn't have is the desire - to be a leader among men...And so he is sent off on a fool's errand: a mission to retrieve something from the very Englishmen Cole has spent his life hating. When he finds that the 'something' is a wild hellion, he balks, determined to make the return to Scotland as hard on her as it was for him to set foot on English soil. But though English herself, Ellenor intrigues him with her fierce spirit, and Cole's heart, deeply locked away for so long, may be vulnerable at last...

Marrying the Marquis All Blaze Flambeau desires is her independence. But her father is ready to see her wed, so he makes her a bargain: she may participate in the racing season only if she gives each suitor a fighting chance at her heart. One man, however, makes Blaze a far more scandalous proposition: her reputation or his bed! For Ross MacArthur, Marquis of Awe, knows something that could ruin her, and he will not hesitate to use it to win her.

Mistress by Mistake Lord Dashford has decided to ward off the marriage-minded by convincing the world he's throwing away his fortune. No matter, since heiress Evaline Pinchley, dragged to the Dashford estate, has no inclination to marry him. Unfortunately, she fails to recognize her host when he begins to seduce her. An empty bottle later, Evaline wakes to find herself in Dashford's bed. Now rumors and passions are sure to run wild-unless Dashford and Evaline realize that what happened by moonlight was no mistake.

My Unfair Lady  A wild west heiress, Summer Wine Lee grew up in an Arizona mining town, cares more for critters than people, carries a knife under her skirts, and, worst of all, she has a highly improper secret from her past. But she also has high hopes that a real English Duke can teach her how to be a lady…

Contributor
Doralynn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Melanie,

I'm new to the boards.

Debbie (dhaupt) reviewed my debut novel, Sleeping With Skeletons (romantic-suspense), over at LASR, and she also left a review for that here. She was discussing it with Becke over in Mystery/New-and-2010-Releases. I just found that post today. Debbie mentioned this board, and said I should come talk to you, so I just wanted to say hi.

There's lots of great information here. I need to start reading this regularly. I normally just browse the bookstore and pick up authors I'm familiar with or that friends recommend, or I read writers who are with the same small publisher I'm with. I've found some new writers here on your board, though, and I'm going to read them once I get through my current TBR pile. Sounds like I've been missing out on a ton of good books.

Thanks for the info, but now I'm wondering how I'm going to read all these great books (many of them sound like must reads). I'm obviously gonna have to give up something... probably sleep. 

Doralynn

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Doralynn's book is getting some great press!

Sleeping With Skeletons

Contributor
Doralynn
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Doralynn's book is getting some great press!

Sleeping With Skeletons

Hi Becke, this place is really addictive! I started setting up my B&N page. It wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. It was actually pretty easy, and it was fun too! I had to fix dinner before I could get very far, but I'll get back to that in the morning. I don't really know how to follow anybody. I have Debbie's e-mail address, so I was able to add her. I'd like to add you, too, Becke, but I don't know how. Maybe you can e-mail me through my website ... doralynn.net ... if you don't mind me adding you to my B&N 'follow list.'

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Doralynn wrote:

Hi Melanie,

I'm new to the boards.

Debbie (dhaupt) reviewed my debut novel, Sleeping With Skeletons (romantic-suspense), over at LASR, and she also left a review for that here. She was discussing it with Becke over in Mystery/New-and-2010-Releases. I just found that post today. Debbie mentioned this board, and said I should come talk to you, so I just wanted to say hi.

There's lots of great information here. I need to start reading this regularly. I normally just browse the bookstore and pick up authors I'm familiar with or that friends recommend, or I read writers who are with the same small publisher I'm with. I've found some new writers here on your board, though, and I'm going to read them once I get through my current TBR pile. Sounds like I've been missing out on a ton of good books.

Thanks for the info, but now I'm wondering how I'm going to read all these great books (many of them sound like must reads). I'm obviously gonna have to give up something... probably sleep. 

Doralynn

Welcome, Doralynn, and congrats on the success of your book. The cover is great!

It is my mission to increase your TBR pile by dozens, so I hope you will discover some new authors here!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Follow away, Dora! I think if you click my name and go to my profile, there will be a "follow this person" type link. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't checked it lately, but I signed up to follow a bunch of people when we first got that capability. I don't update my profile as often as I should.

Beware of Melanie -- because of her and a few others, my TBR pile looks like a branch of Barnes & Noble. In a way, I guess it is!

Contributor
Doralynn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Welcome, Doralynn, and congrats on the success of your book. The cover is great!

It is my mission to increase your TBR pile by dozens, so I hope you will discover some new authors here!

Hi Melanie, thanks for the welcome and the congrats. You've already succeeded in your mission, and I'm ashamed to admit I've discovered enough new authors to fill an Aircraft Carrier. I'm so predictable in my reading. (Terrible thing for a writer.)

Contributor
Doralynn
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Follow away, Dora! I think if you click my name and go to my profile, there will be a "follow this person" type link. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't checked it lately, but I signed up to follow a bunch of people when we first got that capability. I don't update my profile as often as I should.

Beware of Melanie -- because of her and a few others, my TBR pile looks like a branch of Barnes & Noble. In a way, I guess it is!

Thanks Becke. I appreciate you teaching me how to do that. It was easy. I'm laughing at your "branch of Barnes & Noble comment".  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

When the pile is so big (it fills one bookcase and four huge bins) that it takes me days to find a particular book I'm looking for, you know I shouldn't be buying more books. It's an addiction . . . of the best kind!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Doralynn, and then when Becke gets too many books she just ships some of them off to her friends too.

I can't find anywhere to follow someone though, do you think it's because I'm on a Mac?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Doralynn, and then when Becke gets too many books she just ships some of them off to her friends too.

I can't find anywhere to follow someone though, do you think it's because I'm on a Mac?

Yes, the people in my writer's group get a lot of books from me, too. There's no way I could keep them all! Too bad there's not a way for us to do giveaway contests here. I think it's discouraged.

That's a good question about the Mac -- I'm on a PC.