Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007

Re: New & Recommended!

Any Man of Mine  

Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!

[ Edited ]

What a great historical weekend I had!

 

First, I plowed through Jennifer Haymore's Confessions of an Improper Bride

I'd read Jennifer's previous three books, but this one might be my favorite. It's about a woman who was absolutely ruined by the love of her life, Jonathan Dane. Being cut from society wasn't Serena Donovan's only painful experience however; her twin sister was lost at sea shortly after Serena's fall from grace. Now, years later, Serena's mother has cooked up a scheme to reintroduce Serena to London's elite: but as her dead - and still respectable - twin, Meg. The trick here is that Serena has never been much of a liar, and of course who should she cross paths with but Jonathan, now an Earl and still carrying the regret of how he treated Serena all those years ago.

 

It's a very good story, lots of passion and emotion. Recommended!

 

And as if one great read wasn't enough for me, I made the mistake of picking of Jennifer Ashley's The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (Highland Pleasures Series #3)  at around seven o'clock last night. Cut to this morning and Melanie is bleary-eyed and exhausted, and has read two books in one day! This is the third book about those irresistibly Scottish Mackenzies. I don't know which is my favorite - I absolutely loved Cameron's story, Ainsley is a great heroine, and their relationship was just very well done. I know others here have recommended this one, so I just want to add my voice to the list. A warning, though: if you haven't read the previous books and start with this, you will be desperate to read the other two once you've finished.

 

Both books are available for nook!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,690
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!


Melanie_Murray wrote:

What a great historical weekend I had!

 

First, I plowed through Jennifer Haymore's Confessions of an Improper Bride

I'd read Jennifer's previous three books, but this one might be my favorite. It's about a woman who was absolutely ruined by the love of her life, Jonathan Dane. Being cut from society wasn't Serena Donovan's only painful experience however; her twin sister was lost at sea shortly after Serena's fall from grace. Now, years later, Serena's mother has cooked up a scheme to reintroduce Serena to London's elite: but as her dead - and still respectable - twin, Meg. The trick here is that Serena has never been much of a liar, and of course who should she cross paths with but Jonathan, now an Earl and still carrying the regret of how he treated Serena all those years ago.

 

It's a very good story, lots of passion and emotion. Recommended!

 

And as if one great read wasn't enough for me, I made the mistake of picking of Jennifer Ashley's The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (Highland Pleasures Series #3)  at around seven o'clock last night. Cut to this morning and Melanie is bleary-eyed and exhausted, and has read two books in one day! This is the third book about those irresistibly Scottish Mackenzies. I don't know which is my favorite - I absolutely loved Cameron's story, Ainsley is a great heroine, and their relationship was just very well done. I know others here have recommended this one, so I just want to add my voice to the list. A warning, though: if you haven't read the previous books and start with this, you will be desperate to read the other two once you've finished.

 

Both books are available for nook!


Both are in my TBR pile - along with way too many others!

Contributor
LindseyBrookes
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎11-09-2009

Re: New & Recommended!

A Touch in Time by McKenna Chase is a fun, sassy, uber-sexy time travel.  For those who like it steamy hot, I'd highly recommend this novella.  You can't beat the price.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!

[ Edited ]

The Demon Lover  

 

 

Juliet Dark is a pseudonym for Carol Goodman. Goodman writes historical gothic fiction and literary mysteries. This is her first romantic paranormal fantasy and she succeeds beautifully. The imaginary she creates is vivid and her attention to detail has you immediately loving the small college town of Fairwick in upstate New York and the characters residing there. “The Demon Lover” is the type of book you want to savior, like that perfect cup of coffee on a cold fall morning. This book immediately made me think of “A Discovery of Witches” with its gothic, myth and folklore imagery. I found this aspect of the story as intriguing as the suspenseful mystery.
Dr. Cailleach (Callie) McFay is our young protagonist; she has recently graduated from college and published a book entitled “The Sex Lives of the Demon Lovers”. Callie arrives at Fairwick College to interview for a position teaching folklore at the campus. She isn’t sure about taking the job; her dream is to be in New York, but while visiting there, she comes across an old Victorian home called Honeysuckle House and learns it’s for sale. It was originally owned by historical romance writer Dahila LaMotte. The realtor informs her that all of LaMotte’s notes, journals and unpublished books come with the house, but that these books can never leave the home. Callie sees this as an opportunity for a new book. Callie accepts the teaching position and moves into Honeysuckle House. Every night she is visited by a man of shadow and moonlight, who seduces her and leaves her aching and satisfied in the morning. As Callie reads LaMotte’s journals and explores the college town she begins to realize there is a lot more going on here. Callie is a strong educated character and you can’t help but like her. She battles with her brain, and looks for solutions head on. She is flawed, but tries to do the right thing.
I would love to share so many details about the book, but do not want to spoil the story for you. For those of you who love to read, you will get a kick out of the references to authors, such as, Charlaine Harris. Dark made me laugh out loud with these references and some off handed comments to those who scorn paranormal /urban fantasy literature.
I know some of you will detest the ending, but although I can find no reference to it, this book has ended in such a way that I feel another book will be coming. This reader certainly hopes so.
The book will be released December 2011 .

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,843
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: New & Recommended!

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011

Re: New & Recommended!

[ Edited ]
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
Posts: 2,725
Registered: ‎06-16-2009

Re: New & Recommended!


kimba88 wrote:

Jane Austen Made Me Do It  

 

will be released Oct 11, 2011

 

I received an Arc  you can see my review at :

http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/


Great review! I didn't realize you had a blog. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008

Re: New & Recommended!


kimba88 wrote:

Jane Austen Made Me Do It  

 

will be released Oct 11, 2011

 

I received an Arc  you can see my review at :

http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/



Left a VTCOZY comment...Great Blog.Nice to meet you.. ).Review was enticing..Being an Austen Fan  Thanks Kimba....Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!

[ Edited ]
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!


dalnewt wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

Jane Austen Made Me Do It  

 

will be released Oct 11, 2011

 

I received an Arc  you can see my review at :

http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/


Great review! I didn't realize you had a blog. 


Thanks Dalnewt. I have always read 200 plus books a year, and now that my nest is almost empty, I am pursuing things that make me feel fulfilled. I am enjoying reviewing and feel like I am getting better with each review. Feed back is always helpful. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!

[ Edited ]
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,690
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos
Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!

I realize, what with Irene knocking out my power and my computer not working for basically the entire summer, that I never posted two books that I read and really enjoyed.

 

First, Victoria Dahl's It's Always Been You. I'd only ever read her contemporary romances and was a little surprised when this appeared on my desk. I was gearing up for this fall's Good Girls Don't and Bad Boys Do, but couldn't resist this romantic story of a man and woman reuniting after a disastrous end to their passionate courtship years prior. We could add it to our thread on first loves, definitely.

 

 

 

 

 

Bloodhunt (Sentinel Wars Series #5) by Shannon K. Butcher: Book CoverThen, one of my favorite reads of the summer and a surefire series to try if you love the Black Dagger Brotherhood and want more books like those: Shannon K. Butcher's Blood Hunt. She isn't nearly as famous as she should be - this book is absorbing, suspenseful, sensual, gripping...bloody and fantastic. Here's the story description:

Hope appeared out of nowhere, naked and alone, a woman without a past. The only thing she knows is that she is imbued with a strange power. It's in her blood. And two men want to posses it. One is Logan, a Sanguiner demon-fighter who needs Hope's essence to survive. The other is Krag, a Synestryn lord whose desire is to enslave Hope, and drain her of the lifeforce. When Hope and Logan both fall prey to Krag, a powerful desire grows between them. But is it enough to thwart their captor's diabolical plan and his demon warriors, and survive a vampire's destiny written in blood?

 

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!

[ Edited ]

Canyons of Night  

 

 

I had preordered this book and was delighted when it arrived. Having read all of the Arcane Society novels, I knew that once I started reading, I’d be unable to stop.  I highly recommend this series, if you are looking for a mystery, romance thriller with a paranormal twist.  Second Sight by Amanda Quick was the first paranormal book I’d ever read.  I read the back cover and said, “Paranormal?” “What?” “Yuck!”  My husband brought this book home to me and since I didn’t want to hurt his feelings; I dutifully began reading and thus my love for paranormal books began. This opened the door to all the genres for me.  Don’t be afraid to try a new genre, you may be amazed at what you find.

 

For those of you who have not yet read this series, I want to give you a little background on the author.  Jayne Anne Krentz writes all of the Arcane Society novels using three different names. When writing about the past, she uses the pseudonym Amanda Quick.  When she writes a contemporary story she uses her own name.  When she writes about the future on a colonized planet called Harmony, she writes as Jayne Castle. While all of them can be read as a standalone or as part of a trilogy, I recommend reading them in order.  I have added the author’s link at the bottom of this review, so that you can see the chronological order of the series.

 

Canyon of the Night, the third book in the Looking Glass Trilogy, takes place on the colonized planet of Harmony.  The setting is Rainshadow Island.  Protagonist, Charlotte Enright is back on the island after inheriting an antique shop called The Looking Glass.   Slade Attridge, a former FBPI agent, returns to accept the chief of police position.  They both feel an instant connection, but personal demons leave them leery.   Things quickly heat up after a break-in and murder at the Looking Glass.  Someone on the island wants them dead and something is definitely wrong with the Preserve.  I liked the main characters and was intrigued by some of the town’s people.  Foreshadowing leads me to believe we will meet them again.   The novel is filled with suspense as they work to unravel the mystery.  The romance is steamy and discreet, a talent that only Castle (Krentz) can deliver.  While wrapping up the murder investigation, the book left many unanswered questions about the Preserve.  The story kept me completely engrossed and had me saying things like, “one more chapter and I’ll go to bed.”  I am looking forward to the next book in this series and hoping for some answers.

for more see my blog: http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/

Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!


kimba88 wrote:

Canyons of Night  

 

 

I had preordered this book and was delighted when it arrived. Having read all of the Arcane Society novels, I knew that once I started reading, I’d be unable to stop.  I highly recommend this series, if you are looking for a mystery, romance thriller with a paranormal twist.  Second Sight by Amanda Quick was the first paranormal book I’d ever read.  I read the back cover and said, “Paranormal?” “What?” “Yuck!”  My husband brought this book home to me and since I didn’t want to hurt his feelings; I dutifully began reading and thus my love for paranormal books began. This opened the door to all the genres for me.  Don’t be afraid to try a new genre, you may be amazed at what you find.

 

For those of you who have not yet read this series, I want to give you a little background on the author.  Jayne Anne Krentz writes all of the Arcane Society novels using three different names. When writing about the past, she uses the pseudonym Amanda Quick.  When she writes a contemporary story she uses her own name.  When she writes about the future on a colonized planet called Harmony, she writes as Jayne Castle. While all of them can be read as a standalone or as part of a trilogy, I recommend reading them in order.  I have added the author’s link at the bottom of this review, so that you can see the chronological order of the series.

 


Kimba, Jayne was here in April talking about the Arcane Society and this particular trilogy: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Romantic-Reads/April-is-Arcane-Society-Chat-with-Jayne-Ann-Kr...

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!


Melanie_Murray wrote:

kimba88 wrote:

Canyons of Night  

 

 

I had preordered this book and was delighted when it arrived. Having read all of the Arcane Society novels, I knew that once I started reading, I’d be unable to stop.  I highly recommend this series, if you are looking for a mystery, romance thriller with a paranormal twist.  Second Sight by Amanda Quick was the first paranormal book I’d ever read.  I read the back cover and said, “Paranormal?” “What?” “Yuck!”  My husband brought this book home to me and since I didn’t want to hurt his feelings; I dutifully began reading and thus my love for paranormal books began. This opened the door to all the genres for me.  Don’t be afraid to try a new genre, you may be amazed at what you find.

 

For those of you who have not yet read this series, I want to give you a little background on the author.  Jayne Anne Krentz writes all of the Arcane Society novels using three different names. When writing about the past, she uses the pseudonym Amanda Quick.  When she writes a contemporary story she uses her own name.  When she writes about the future on a colonized planet called Harmony, she writes as Jayne Castle. While all of them can be read as a standalone or as part of a trilogy, I recommend reading them in order.  I have added the author’s link at the bottom of this review, so that you can see the chronological order of the series.

 


Kimba, Jayne was here in April talking about the Arcane Society and this particular trilogy: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Romantic-Reads/April-is-Arcane-Society-Chat-with-Jayne-Ann-Kr...


I was there :smileyhappy:

Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!

Barbara Freethy's latest Angel's Bay book came out this past week. I love this series!  Garden of Secrets (Angel's Bay Series #5)  

Dr. Charlotte Adams is torn between two men. Rev. Andrew Schilling is her past, a high-school romance that went drastically wrong. But he's back in town now and part of her present -- along with newly-divorced Police Chief Joe Silviera, whom she's been powerfully attracted to for months. The question is, which man is her future -- and Charlotte has to face and accept her past before she can build a life with Joe.

 

 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,690
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!


Melanie_Murray wrote:

I realize, what with Irene knocking out my power and my computer not working for basically the entire summer, that I never posted two books that I read and really enjoyed.

 

First, Victoria Dahl's It's Always Been You. I'd only ever read her contemporary romances and was a little surprised when this appeared on my desk. I was gearing up for this fall's Good Girls Don't and Bad Boys Do, but couldn't resist this romantic story of a man and woman reuniting after a disastrous end to their passionate courtship years prior. We could add it to our thread on first loves, definitely.

 

 

 

 

 

Bloodhunt (Sentinel Wars Series #5) by Shannon K. Butcher: Book CoverThen, one of my favorite reads of the summer and a surefire series to try if you love the Black Dagger Brotherhood and want more books like those: Shannon K. Butcher's Blood Hunt. She isn't nearly as famous as she should be - this book is absorbing, suspenseful, sensual, gripping...bloody and fantastic. Here's the story description:

Hope appeared out of nowhere, naked and alone, a woman without a past. The only thing she knows is that she is imbued with a strange power. It's in her blood. And two men want to posses it. One is Logan, a Sanguiner demon-fighter who needs Hope's essence to survive. The other is Krag, a Synestryn lord whose desire is to enslave Hope, and drain her of the lifeforce. When Hope and Logan both fall prey to Krag, a powerful desire grows between them. But is it enough to thwart their captor's diabolical plan and his demon warriors, and survive a vampire's destiny written in blood?

 


I just ordered these, Melanie - thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011
0 Kudos