kimba88 wrote:

Dangerous Magic  

Loved it! 

My review: http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/

Thanks, I just preordered it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: New & Recommended!

Every time I stop by this thread, my TBR pile grows...

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

The Companion of Lady Holmeshire  

If you love Jane Austen and period novels you will love this delightful mystery romance.

This is the first published novel by Debra Brown, but she writes like a seasoned author.

You can see my full review @ 

http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

I consumed  

Blood Bound, (463 pages), in one and one-half days. All Things Urban Fantasy gave the book their highest (5 bat) rating, and they were absolutely right! The book spins an intriguing crime/adventure tale with a wonderfully complicated romance. 

The plot is twisting, wicked and lightning paced. The world-building, accomplished through character dialogue and interaction, is comprehensive. The two protagonists, named Liv (Olivia) Warren and Cam (Cameron) Caballero, are vivid and engaging. The dialogue is screen-worthy. The POV switches between Liv and Cam throughout the story. Personally, I was drawn more toward her character than his, probably because I'm a woman. But both their voices were emotionally engaging. I loved this story!

The book starts with Liv skulking gritty streets and tracking a blood scent to the energy 'smell' of a man located w/in an apartment building. Liv's a blood 'Tracker' who can trace the energy signature from a wet blood sample to its living source within 800 miles. Because the blood sample is dry, Liv is only 99% sure that the man she's tracked is the same person who provided the sample. When a bail-bondsman she formerly worked for shows and explains that it's a sample from the man who shot his daughter, she marches up to the suspect's front door, knocks and punches him in the face. With the gush of blood from his nose, Liv makes a positive identification. She walks away as the bail-bondsman and his muscle start laying into the man knowing that a retaliatory murder will be committed that night.

Black-marketed 'Skills' have created huge criminal empires. Liv's city is spit between two crime bosses, Ruben Cavazos and Jake Tower. The 'Skills' enumerated w/in the story include: Trackers, divided between Liv's blood Tracking and name Tracking which is the speciality of her former lover, Cam Caballero: Binders who can seal a promise with the certainty of death; Travelers who can walk from one shadow to another in three steps; Readers who immediately know a lie; Blinders who can suck out all light, (and with it all sight); and, Seers of varying intensity/accuracy.

LIv is compromised. She's made a deal with Cavazos and bears his mark tattooed on her inner thigh. She basically has to jump when he says so and take abuse from him. More importantly, the reader later learns that Liv will loose her free will w/in six months unless she completes the job for Cavazos.  

Cam Caballero shows up at her car. He's the best name Tracker in the city and knows her full name. Six years prior they were an item, but she suddenly walked away from him during a New Year's Eve party attended by her three childhood friends. When the narrative switches to his POV, the reader learns that Cam was about to propose when Liv dumped him and left him stranded at the party. He's determined to somehow break through her defenses because he still loves her.

This is the backdrop as one of Liv's childhood friends shows up at her office, with Cam outside the door, and evokes a childhood binding exchanged among Liv and her three childhood friends. Her childhood friend binds Liv to track and kill the man, (presumably a Traveler), who invaded her home and killed her husband. And, she makes Liv work with Cam. Liv tries to resist, but pain convinces her otherwise. So, Liv now has to work with the man she walked out on and never wanted to see again.

The book's synopsis explains that eventually the friend's daughter is abducted. In a wicked twist, Cam is bound to the syndicate of the crime boss upon who's order the girl is abducted. He can't actively work against that syndicate, and Liv can't trust him. Plus, neither of them is honest with the other. Each has dark secrets that only become revealed when circumstances force the matter.

This story is extraordinarily intense, surprising and fast-paced. I loved it and recommend the book to all fans of urban fantasy or crime fiction and anyone who likes/loves paranormal romance. I'll definitely be reading the second book in this trilogy entitled  'Shadow Bound'.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88

Author
Rose_Lerner
0 Kudos

Anyone else read Everything I Know about Love I Learned from Romance Novels yet? I really enjoyed it!  It made me feel really proud to be a romance reader.  Well, I already was.  But EVEN PROUDER.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I realize, what with Irene knocking out my power and my computer not working for basically the entire summer, that I never posted two books that I read and really enjoyed.

First, Victoria Dahl's It's Always Been You. I'd only ever read her contemporary romances and was a little surprised when this appeared on my desk. I was gearing up for this fall's Good Girls Don't and Bad Boys Do, but couldn't resist this romantic story of a man and woman reuniting after a disastrous end to their passionate courtship years prior. We could add it to our thread on first loves, definitely.

Bloodhunt (Sentinel Wars Series #5) by Shannon K. Butcher: Book CoverThen, one of my favorite reads of the summer and a surefire series to try if you love the Black Dagger Brotherhood and want more books like those: Shannon K. Butcher's Blood Hunt. She isn't nearly as famous as she should be - this book is absorbing, suspenseful, sensual, gripping...bloody and fantastic. Here's the story description:

Hope appeared out of nowhere, naked and alone, a woman without a past. The only thing she knows is that she is imbued with a strange power. It's in her blood. And two men want to posses it. One is Logan, a Sanguiner demon-fighter who needs Hope's essence to survive. The other is Krag, a Synestryn lord whose desire is to enslave Hope, and drain her of the lifeforce. When Hope and Logan both fall prey to Krag, a powerful desire grows between them. But is it enough to thwart their captor's diabolical plan and his demon warriors, and survive a vampire's destiny written in blood?

I just ordered these, Melanie - thanks!

Melanie - As I mentioned, I bought both of these on your recommendation. I LOVED Victoria Dahl's book. Can hardly wait to read Shannon's book.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Kissing Tree  

The Kissing Tree is a delightfully sweet historical romance. Although a year is not given, it takes place in early American history. Colorado has been settled. Small towns have been established around farming and cattle ranch communities. Crystal Creek is just such a small town.
When the story begins thirteen year old protagonist Georgiana McLaughlin has recently lost her father to a tragic horse accident. She and her siblings, along with their mother are traveling to New York to stay with Aunt Cecelia for the summer break. Before they leave, she steals a kiss from Ridge Carson under the kissing tree and runs. She doesn’t return home until five years later.
Georgiana returns to Colorado, leaving behind a young man waiting for her to accept a marriage proposal.  He is a charming man, who adores her, but she can’t bring herself to say yes. When she arrives home she finds Ridge all grown up and working on her grandfather’s cattle ranch.
The chemistry Bice creates between Georgiana and Ridge is delightful. Georgiana is all Irish fire and spunk. The way in which these to spar will have you giggling. There is wholesomeness to this tale that I find refreshing.
The Kissing Tree has a love triangle, villains and finds our heroine in danger. The tale unfolds at a wonderful pace. Bice writes a story with lots of twists, and wraps it all up in a bow at the end. She delivers the perfect romantic story that will leave you feeling good.
I am adding Prudence Bice to my list of authors to watch.  The Kissing Tree will be available on December 6, 2011. This would make the perfect gift for the romance reader on your holiday shopping list.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

The Black Hawk  Please see the November Notable thread where I've just gushed uncontrollably about this book.

This is the new latest in Joanna Bourne's spy series and it was amazingly good. It's the long-awaited (by me at least) love story between Justine and Hawker, the two spies from difficult backgrounds. I have been rereading sections since finishing, and also pulled out The Forbidden Rose  to reread the Hawker sections of that book. I had a lot to do this week, and Joanna Bourne ruined my plans. I love when that happens!

So, yeah: highly recommended.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

The Black Hawk  Please see the November Notable thread where I've just gushed uncontrollably about this book.

This is the new latest in Joanna Bourne's spy series and it was amazingly good. It's the long-awaited (by me at least) love story between Justine and Hawker, the two spies from difficult backgrounds. I have been rereading sections since finishing, and also pulled out The Forbidden Rose  to reread the Hawker sections of that book. I had a lot to do this week, and Joanna Bourne ruined my plans. I love when that happens!

So, yeah: highly recommended.

Hi Melanie - Well....you got me, I just ordered this for my ereader - One of these days I'll get to finish all the books in my TBR pile (real & digital !!!!) Happy Reading...

Anne

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I just finished this one, which has put me in the mood for Christmas:

Bring Me Home for Christmas (Virgin River Novel Series #14)  

And I'm planning to read this one next:

The Black Hawk  

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

The Secret of Lies  

I want to recommend this. 

My spoiler free review- 

The Secret of Lies by Barbara Forte Abate has to be one of the best novels I have ever had the pleasure to read.  I was shocked to learn this is Abate’s first published work.  Her writing style brings to mind such authors as Harper Lee and John Steinbeck.  She writes with such detail, bringing images to life with the stroke of her pen. In her debut novel, she delivers a touching tale about, love, innocence, betrayal, loss and lies.
 Secret of Lies reflects back on events that occurred off the Atlantic coast during the summer of 1957. The story unfolds through the voice of protagonist Stevie Burke. When the tale begins, Stevie is sneaking out of her home and leaving her husband. She is driving aimlessly and ends up in a dark musty hotel room three days later. We can tell that she is deeply troubled by something. It is here, as an Elvis song plays on the radio,  that she reflects back on the summers, she and her sister spent at the shore home of their Aunt Smyrna and Uncle Cal.
Abate writes with a paint brush, bringing the seaside, storms, and fields to life. I could feel the wind and smell the sea air.  She has a gift for beautifully expressing the emotions and feelings of a first kiss, a betrayal and loss.  She unfolds the tale allowing the reader to put the pieces together before Stevie, giving us a sense of foreboding. While the subject matter is dark, Abate also shows us the light. We experience the joy of first love, childhood, and innocence.
Abates creates characters that you will love, pity and loathe.  The character of Stevie is beautifully portrayed and you cannot help but like her. The way in which Abate shows the interaction between Stevie and her sister Eleanor reminded me of my own childhood.  After the tragedy of 1957, we see firsthand how this affects Stevie. She struggles with the secrets and her memories. Years later,she meets Ash Waterman; through him she may finally find peace and happiness.  I found myself rooting for this young man as he struggles to understand Stevie.  The romance that develops between them is sweet, witty and romantic.
The story, the circumstances, and the impact it has on the characters is believable and touching. The events that occurred in the summer of '57 could have happened to any family. The ending is not wrapped up in a pretty little bow, but instead allows the reader to determine the outcome. While some may not like it, I feel it was appropriate. After all, life and family drama, do not come in neat little boxes.
I highly recommend this novel to everyone, but particularly those who enjoy books based on family, tragedy and human emotion. This would make a wonderful book club read.  I have added Barbara Forte Abate to my list of must read authors and look forward to her next book. 
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Holiday Kisses  

I received this ARC, the book releases Dec. 5th. I have read the first 2 stories and they were so yummy.I had to let you all know, so you can pre-order it. 

It is the perfect romance collection to get you in the holiday mood. First 2 stories were  earned a 5 cup of coffee rating from me. My review will be out later this weekend. 

I received an early Christmas present from my hubby. He bought me the new nook tablet. I have the first gen nook..and it has no backlight. I was up until almost 3..because I could not put this book down.LOL

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray, I just finished some really great books.

New User
jessie40j
0 Kudos

I got to read Terry Spear's Dreaming of the Wolf a little early.  Once again Terry exceeded all expectations. From the get go she grabs a readers attention and keeps it till the last page, where one can finally let go that breath you were holding! 

Characters that catch an readers interest and invites you to get to know them, worry about them, and applaud as they win the day.  Romantic scenes in all of Terry's books are done with taste and a degree of hotness.  You will want to keep a cold drink at hand. Werewolf's have never been sexier.  I recommend Dreaming, either as a stand alone book or as part of her series.   You will not be disapointed.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

A Scottish Love  by Karen Ranney came out last week; it's one of the few non-holiday related new releases out there and it's well worth your time if you love a dreamy Scottish lord and a fiery miss...Their relationship is complicated by years of misunderstanding and unexpressed longing. Very romantic!

Here's the story description.

Shona Imrie should have agreed to Gordon MacDermond’s proposal of marriage seven years ago—before he went off to war and returned a national hero—but the proud Scottish lass would accept no man’s charity. The dashing soldier would never truly share her love and the passion that left her weak and breathless — or so she believed—so instead she gave herself to another. Now she faces disgrace, poverty, and a life spent alone for her steadfast refusal to follow her heart.

Honored with a baronetcy for his courage under fire, Gordon has everything he could ever want—except for the one thing he most fervently desires: the headstrong beauty he foolishly let slip through his fingers. Conquering Shona’s stubborn pride, however, will prove his most difficult battle—though it is the one for which he is most willing to risk his life, his heart, and his soul.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Hi all!

With the holiday rush - not only do I host Christmas but almost every member of my family has a birthday in December - I plum didn't get to the NRT thread last week and probably won't again until January.

So I'll post the December must-haves here. Typically romances aren't scheduled to come out now but there have a few that I think are definite winners.

It's All Greek to Me 

Lawe's Justice  

Recklessly Yours (Her Majesty's Secret Servants Series #3) 

Shaedes of Gray 

Hearts and Swords 

Hot Zone 

How to Worship a Goddess 

Seductive as Flame 

Slade (Shadow Wranglers Series #4) 

Spells & Stitches 

That Old Black Magic (Living in Eden Series #3) 

True Shot 

Under the Moon (Goddesses Rising, Book 1) 

An Unexpected Gentleman 

Wild Thing               

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

It's All Greek to Me  I really liked this one, guys! Read my thoughts at Heart to Heart!

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]