Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

New & Recommended!

As promised in the NRT thread, I am starting this "New & Recommended" thread as a place for us to post about books we've just read and highly recommend to everyone else in the RR community. My intention is for you all to use this thread when you've just read something you know everyone here should try.

Please don't use this thread to push your own book, or to list all the books of the author you're posting about. Let's keep "New & Recommended" on-topic as possible, and keep each post about one book. I'm hoping that we'll be able to use NRT as a place to announce the new releases, and this thread to post mini-reviews.

Frequent Contributor
pjpuppymom

Re: New & Recommended!

A sexy highlander, a kidnapped (almost) bride, feuding clans and family secrets.  THE DEVIL WEARS PLAID, which released today, is Teresa Medeiros at her very best.  I read the entire story in one day and immediately wanted to read it all over again.  I highly recommend this book!

The Devil Wears Plaid

Melanie_Murray

And the kidnapped bride is English, isn't she? Thanks so much for posting this, pjpuppymom. I've heard great things and it's good to know that all the buzz is worth it.

My heartfelt first recommendation in our new thread is Eloisa James' A Kiss at Midnight. Yes, Eloisa is a big friend to us, and yes, I repeatedly crow about her books, but there's a great reason for both of those things and that reason is that Ms. James can bascially do no wrong. This is a terrific to try her if she's a new-to-you author. It's a standalone tale and while it very clearly seems to be a historical it's actually quite timeless. It's a reworking of the Cinderella tale, complete with handsome Prince and backstabbing stepmother. It's an absolutely charming read, and as I always do after a James, I felt a wee bit smarter after I finished it.

Frequent Contributor
pjpuppymom
0 Kudos

Yes, Melanie, she's English and about to marry the hero's sworm enemy, a man old enough to be her grandfather (maybe great-grandfather) in order to save her family from financial ruin.  The hero kidnaps her from the altar (before she says "I do"), expecting a meek and mild miss.  By this time, she's had more than enough of people telling her what to do.  Suffice it to say, "meek and mild" aren't even in her vocabulary! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Reckless 

I loved these:

Ruthless

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

Assassin's Heart

I LOVED IT! So good.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Reckless 

I loved these:

Ruthless

I won Reckless in a contest a few weeks ago and I also bought Ruthless. I can't wait to read them. As soon as I finish the current book I'm reading I'm going to start Ruthless.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
njoireading

I just finished Ruthless and will be purchasing Reckless in a few moments (I am an ebook/Nook reader).  When I first began Ruthless I thought, "Oh, boy, this will be a really hot book."  It is, but not in the way I expected.  This author can write dialogue that makes one use their imagination, it is witty, sarcastic, tender and made for one of the best books I have read this year.

I am usually a Regency era reader but after Joanna Bourne's books, the period before and during the French Revolution has caught my attention.  This book is so descriptive of the all out, hedinistic society that eventually fell, I could truly picture Francis' diamond decorated high heel shoes.

Of course, the references to Culloden (for those who read Jamie and Claire's books) were more icing on the cake.  For anyone looking for a book with smart dialogue, wonderful descriptions and a hero and heroine unlike most we "meet" I recommend reading this book.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

First of all, thank you everybody for utilizing this thread. It's shaping up to be exactly as I'd envisioned it. I did not expect that there'd be books I'd have to add to my TBR though, and of course now there are...Sigh. Ruthless and Reckless, moved right to the front of the digital queue.

And now to what I read last week, and highly recommend!

Kate Brady first came onto my radar when the RITA nominations were announced last spring; her debut title, One Scream Away, won BEST FIRST BOOK in July and so when the new one came out I wanted to see whether it was any good or not.

It's good. Really good. It's called Last to Die and has a terrific, bone-chilling cover. And the story hooked me from the very beginning. It's a suspense thriller about a serial killer who's targetting a specific group of women and killing them in a particularly gruesome way. The cop on the case, Dani Cole, has a personal connection with one of the victims and a romantic past with a rich photojournalist who's tangled up with the case due to circumstances beyond his control. What I liked best about this book was the way Kate Brady tells the story; there are great secondary characters and the hero and heroine are scarred without being overwhelmed by their difficult pasts. And I'm a sucker for teenaged lovers who've been torn apart and thrown back together as adults!

I suggest this one to anybody who's looking for a new suspense go-to author. I'll be begging for a copy of the first one now and looking out for her future books. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

kmgevans wrote:

Assassin's Heart

I LOVED IT! So good.

Oooh, Monica is a friend of mine - I'll tell her you liked it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

First of all, thank you everybody for utilizing this thread. It's shaping up to be exactly as I'd envisioned it. I did not expect that there'd be books I'd have to add to my TBR though, and of course now there are...Sigh. Ruthless and Reckless, moved right to the front of the digital queue.

And now to what I read last week, and highly recommend!

Kate Brady first came onto my radar when the RITA nominations were announced last spring; her debut title, One Scream Away, won BEST FIRST BOOK in July and so when the new one came out I wanted to see whether it was any good or not.

It's good. Really good. It's called Last to Die and has a terrific, bone-chilling cover. And the story hooked me from the very beginning. It's a suspense thriller about a serial killer who's targetting a specific group of women and killing them in a particularly gruesome way. The cop on the case, Dani Cole, has a personal connection with one of the victims and a romantic past with a rich photojournalist who's tangled up with the case due to circumstances beyond his control. What I liked best about this book was the way Kate Brady tells the story; there are great secondary characters and the hero and heroine are scarred without being overwhelmed by their difficult pasts. And I'm a sucker for teenaged lovers who've been torn apart and thrown back together as adults!

I suggest this one to anybody who's looking for a new suspense go-to author. I'll be begging for a copy of the first one now and looking out for her future books. 

This one is really good, too! Kate visited with us at Mystery last month - if you search her name, you can access the thread.

One Scream Away

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

The Mists of Time

I just finished reading this and it was excellent! Sword fighting, time traveling, magic, and romance, where could it go wrong? Oh, and did I mention Camelot? I've always liked the different stories of King Arthur and his Knights. This one featured around Gawain with a completely different spin on the original tale.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Blogger
Marisa-ONeill
0 Kudos

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

Marisa-ONeill wrote:

That does look good and reminds me a little of Lora Leigh's special ops books. Plus the cover is yummy!

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

The Time Weaver 

I've been thinking that the historicals that resonate with me are those that really examine the role of women in the time period. This is one of the reasons I loved the Joanna Bourne book so much; Maggie was powerful and able to use her position to help her cause, but she was still bound by society's rules. I think Shana Abe does this heroine conflict better than anybody. The story of the women in her drakon series seems to follow a similar path: they have a unique ability that sets them apart from the other females of thier tribe while at the same time their special status dooms them to a certain future at the hands of their Alphas.

I'm making this book sound rather dreary, no? It's not. It's incredibly lush and romantic, and also very clever in that the heroine and villain are the same person at different moments in time. Also, Zane and Lia (from The Dream Thief) are major, major, plot-causing characters in the book.

I don't want to give too much away. I will say that this is a rich read on its own, but is made all the more enjoyable if you've read the other books in the series.

My only complaint is that I was still waiting for Rue and Kit to show up! I'll settle for the poignant mention Rue gets in the middle of the story...

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom

I want to thank you for this thread. I've addd quite a few of these titles to my TBR pile. I will keep checking back to see how many more I will need to add! lol

cork_dork_mom
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

You are so welcome! It makes me happy to know these threads are useful to you.

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Paranormal Teen Romance - The Haunted

I can't wait for Book Three

The Haunted

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

darkangel_1988 wrote:

Paranormal Teen Romance - The Haunted

I can't wait for Book Three

The Haunted

That's a great cover. What's it about, darkangel?

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Haunted is the second book in The Hollow Trilogy

Spoiler Alert

Its about a teenage girl (Abbey) who lives in Sleepy Hollow and loves to make perfumes. :smileyhappy: 

In The Hollow she lost her best friend (Kristen) and she wants to know how she really died which the story then continues on in The Haunted. In The Hollow she meets Caspian (love interest) after Kristens funeral and as the story progresses she meets some other people (The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Characters). But she doesn't know that Caspian and the other people (The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Characters) are not alive anymore. :smileysurprised: At the end of The Hollow Abbey finds out they're dead and thinks she's crazy so she leaves Sleepy Hollow. But don't worry she came back for The Haunted.:smileytongue:

The books are wonderful :smileyhappy:

So please don't judge the books by my little summary of The Hollow

I'm sorry I really suck at telling descriptions of stories. :smileyvery-happy:

The Hollow

The Haunted