Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Re: Nora Roberts Books

Here's another vote for the garden trilogy - i just loved it! The three Sisters trilogy was good also.

Kaye

dhaupt wrote:

Sandy_44 wrote:
I enjoyed the series that was Blue Dahlia, Black Rose, and Red Lily.   I think that was the names of the books.  I always enjoy reading romance and mystery.  I really enjoyed how an older woman took in a younger pregnant cousin that she didn't even know.  Has anyone else read these books?

Yes I'm a big Robert's fan and especially love her trilogy's and being a somewhat older woman myself I really look for mature women or at least in the 30's or 40's when I choose my reading material. And I especially liked Rosalind and Mitchell's story in Black Rose.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Sandy, I have and have read all NR's books....the series your are talking about is The Garden Trilogy. I loved the books and I didn't want them to end...I am that way with all her series...what else have you read? I can't wait until the Sign of Seven Trilogy is completed...the second book, The Hollow, is coming out this month and The Pagan Stone will be coming out sometime in August(?) I will have to double check that one...High Noon will be coming out in ppbk too...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Jenlynn, I loved that series...my fav book out of them all was Valley of Silence...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Debbie, I couldn't agree more. I fall in love with characters in series and I want to see it continue even if we get the story of some of the secondary characters and see how their lives change or are affected by that of the main characters...I love Eve and Roarke...I think that they are my fav couple...maybe it's because I have been with them through a lot of books...naw...NR is just that good of a writer...I often get sucked into the world of her books no matter what genre she takes...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Momgee, the Three Sister Island trilogy was the first one that I read by NR and the life of the Gallaghers really drew me in...I also love to read about Ireland so the historical bent as well as the thread of powers sucked me in even more...these books are the reasons why I glommed on to NR in the first place...The Stars of Mithra series had a similar pull on me...not the Irish angle, but the mythology behind the stones and the main characters...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

Author Unknown
Contributor
Sandy_44
0 Kudos

Paula,

I've read anything I could get my hands on of Nora Roberts'.  I haven't read the JD Robb series though. I've read so many that I had to start looking for the NR on her books to make sure I hadn't already read it.  Currently I am reading "Falling for Rachel".  I can't wait for "The Hollow" to come out so I can purchase it.  I will be looking to see if I can find that one today when I go into town.
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Hey Sandy...I picked up The Hollow from Walmart yesterday....haven't read it yet...have to have all three before I can hunker down and read the series...I love the Stanislavskis...women and men...the new covers look nice, but I like the old ones better...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

Author Unknown
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just got an email from my library that The Hollow is ready to be picked up today I can't wait
Contributor
Sandy_44
0 Kudos

Paula,

Thanks....I found "The Hollow" yesterday when I went to Barnes and Noble.  Finally decided as many books that I buy there, I had better take the membership.  Wal_mart here is kind of slow lately on stocking up-to-date books.  I don't know what is up with that.

Sandy
jpb
New User
jpb
0 Kudos

I am a huge Nora Roberts fan, too -- and as a resident of Annapolis, Maryland, feel compelled to recommend the Chesapeake series for your introduction to her work. And, like some of the others who have commented, I also loved the Sisters' trilogy set in beautiful Ireland. Wherever you choose to start, I would definitely recommend beginning with a series because then you don't have to say a permanent good-bye to a character when you finish his/her individual story. And, trust me on this, her characters are people to whom you won't want to say good-bye.

Actually, you can't go wrong with anything by Nora Roberts. Although, unless you are a fan of futuristic settings (which I really am not), I'd recommend saving her J.D. Robb books for when you need a Roberts' fix and there is nothing else new to read. The great thing for someone just discovering Ms. Roberts is that, with all her great stories, it will be a while before you get to that point. Happy reading!
Frequent Contributor
fiveclocksmwhere
0 Kudos

What am I missing? Can someone please help me understand what is so great about NR?

I've tried 2 diff stories by this writer & just cannot make it thru the first quarter of the book!! "The Three Fates" was the first book I tried. (I think that is the title.)  I heard only bad things about her movies, but one was recently on cable. It looked good so I tried it anyway. I LOVED it!!

So, then I thought I ought to give her another chance. I just tried "Born in Shame" & just couldn't finish it. I found it to be an emotional read but just not logical.

I just don't understand.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Okay, I loved Three Fates, too, so maybe we have similar taste.  Try the Three Sisters Island series.  I loved that one, and I read it before I was into the whole witch/paranormal thing.  I loved the female characters in it (the males, too, of course) -- I felt like they were women I would like to hang out with.  I actually read the second book in the series first (by mistake) and that one hooked me.  I still like books 2 and 3 of that series better than the first one, but I liked that series a lot.  I also really liked the MacKade brothers series (I'm probably spelling their name wrong).

With Nora Roberts, I really love some of her books and others I can take or leave.  But I love a lot of them!
Contributor
maxine196404
0 Kudos

My sister shares your opinion and doesn't understand my love of Nora Roberts...LOL.

There are some of her books that I'm not as fond of as others, but I do like the majority. 
You might try Hidden Riches..I really liked that book.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I just got her new book -- has anyone read it yet?
Frequent Contributor
read2teach
0 Kudos

Not yet!  I'm waiting on the library........I reserved the book in May!
Frequent Contributor
readerkuna1
0 Kudos

Hi Jennifer, I have read about all of Nora's books. Any one is good. I also love the J.D. Robb series. THese are just great. I agree with everyone else. I don' know how she find the time to write like she does. Any book or series you choose you won't good wrong.

I just got her new one Tribute. I have not started yet but it sounds great. I will let you know what I think about it.

Have a really great time reading. Nora is absolutely great.
Patti Kuna
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I just got her new one Tribute. I have not started yet but it sounds great. I will let you know what I think about it.

Have a really great time reading. Nora is absolutely great.

I just started this one too. I had no intention of getting another book but as I was checking out there was a stack on the counter and the librarian said they had just came in. So far (a few chapters) I am liking it a lot.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Warning: Tribute Spoilers!

Hmm.  Nora Roberts is one of my favorite authors but I have to say Tribute doesn't look like it's going to be one of my favorites of her books.  I'm about halfway through it and it's been dragging for me.  There wasn't any conflict to speak of until I was about 100 pages into it.  I feel like I've stepped into an episode of Extreme Makeover more than a mystery/romance.  That said, she is still one of the best there is at drawing her characters.  Ford is wonderful and so far I prefer him to Cilla.  He's not your usual macho alpha male, though.  Maybe more believable because of that.  I'll reserve judgment until I finish the book but this one hasn't hooked me so far.
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Warning: Tribute Spoilers!

Hmm.  Nora Roberts is one of my favorite authors but I have to say Tribute doesn't look like it's going to be one of my favorites of her books.  I'm about halfway through it and it's been dragging for me.  There wasn't any conflict to speak of until I was about 100 pages into it.  I feel like I've stepped into an episode of Extreme Makeover more than a mystery/romance.  That said, she is still one of the best there is at drawing her characters.  Ford is wonderful and so far I prefer him to Cilla.  He's not your usual macho alpha male, though.  Maybe more believable because of that.  I'll reserve judgment until I finish the book but this one hasn't hooked me so far.

I think Ford is one reason I'm enjoying it, though as you say, so far there is not a lot of action. The fact that he's watching her with binoculars to draw her for a graphic novel without her knowing and imagining when she does makes me smile. I like the way Cilla deals with her parents and is not a victim I think.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Finished it.  It wasn't bad -- her books are never bad -- but I never got invested in this one.

Ford's drawings were one of my favorite things, also his reactions to early rising.  The house seemed to be more of a main character than Cilla, and Cilla was also competing with Janet.  I really only liked her when I saw her through Ford's eyes.  Don't know why - never made the emotional connection with her. 

Loved Ford, loved his dog, loved Cilla's father.  I guessed the murderer early on but I don't read her books for the mystery, more for the emotion.  I guess I prefer her stories that are more romance than mystery.