Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Jennifer31
0 Kudos

Nora Roberts Books

Hello,

Im new to Nora Roberts and I want to know which book(s) of hers should I read first??? Should I start a series and if so which one?? Please email back and let me know.

Jennifer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Nora Roberts Books

I've read them all, but before giving you a recommendation it would help to know what kind of books you like best.  Nora Roberts has contemporary romances, lots of series books, paranormals, a few historicals, romantic suspence, straight romance -- all different kinds of books.  She also writes the J.D. Robb books.

So narrow down your preferences, and I'd be happy to recommend some of her books!
New User
Jennifer31
0 Kudos

Hello,

I like series books, romance, romantic suspense, contempory romances,  and some historical. Any recommendations would be great.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Two of my favorites are Three Fates and Montana Sky.  My favorite trilogy is Three Sisters Island but they are all good.

Her family sagas are among my favorites:

The Quinns

The MacKades

The Donovans

The MacGregors

The O'Hurleys

Go to her website to see the list of books related to each of these families:

Frequent Contributor
Jaelin
0 Kudos

I agree these were all great.  I love her JD Robb books.  They give a blend of the future with a little bit of mystery and great romance.  All of her books are great as I have read enough to fill an entire books case of nothing but her work.  I won't say I have read them all though I am working on some of her older stuff as I can get my hands on it......

Jessee
That is a good book which is opened with expectation and closed in profit.
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Welcome, Jennifer.

There's a lot of Nora love on these boards. Check out this thread for lots of talk of series and books that we all love. There should be some titles there for you! And if you go to the later pages there are lists of our favorite series.

Also, look at this thread, too. We started it for the most recent trilogy, a paranormal series. Also, there's discussion about the Circle trilogy here. We talk about her a lot!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi Jennifer and welcome,
There's really no wrong book to pick up by Nora Roberts wether her stand alones or her trilogies or her series written by J.D. Robb.
My favorites are stand alone - Northern Lights from 2004 (set in Alaska)
Trilogy - Three Sisters Island - Circle Trilogy - Irish Sisters Trilogy
And any of J.D. Robb's books but those should be read in order.

Hey happy reading!!!
Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

Hi Jennifer!
Nora Roberts is such a great writer and probably one of the reasons I get so little sleep!  ( I do most of my reading when everyone else is sleeping *yawn*!)

Personally I would say that some of the books feel dated (clothing descriptions, dialogue) and so I would start with any of her trilogies published not too far back. 

Her JD Robb "In Death" series is chilling and addicitive.  I would start at the beginning and read all of them in order (twice!!!)  It's so hard to wait for the next one to be published.

My mom and I have a great difference of opinion.  She believes that Nora must have assistants who help write the books because no one can possible write so many stories in such a short period of time.  Personally I'd like to know what coffee drink she enjoys!  A triple mochaccino?  When does she find the time to sleep!
New User
highlandgirl
0 Kudos

Hi Jennifer,

Nora Robert's Circle Trilogy is one of the best series I have ever read. So much so, that I continue to think about the characters weeks after finishing the books!  If you enjoy reading books with great character development, excellent descriptive scenes, fantastic love stories with a great dose of good vs. evil and just smidge of fantasy, this is a fantasic series.

Enjoy!
Frequent Contributor
jason_t
0 Kudos

One of the things I like most about her are the trilogies. I love the idea that you can get a fully developed set of characters (more than you can get from one book) without having to invest the time into a whole series.
----------------------------------------------------------
There are people who love you, Faith. Or who one day will. Even if you can't see them beside you, right here, right now, they're out there. But if you let the dark get into your eyes, you might never find them. So it's best to keep a little light with you, along the way.
-Harry Dresden
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Debbie, I absolutely agree...you can start anywhere...I actually just read Northern Lights a couple of weeks ago and I fell in love with it...my fav stand alone thought is Blue Smoke...

Jennifer, her J.D. Robb books are excellent reads too...I love all her books, so it is difficult for me to choose which trilogy you should start with...the first one I read was The Three Sister Island trilogy and then I was hooked on Nora from there...I glommed her books and now I own all her books, sans the Once Upon series that she rights with three other authors...I will get those eventually, though...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
dhaupt
0 Kudos

paula_02912 wrote:
Debbie, I absolutely agree...you can start anywhere...I actually just read Northern Lights a couple of weeks ago and I fell in love with it...my fav stand alone thought is Blue Smoke...

Jennifer, her J.D. Robb books are excellent reads too...I love all her books, so it is difficult for me to choose which trilogy you should start with...the first one I read was The Three Sister Island trilogy and then I was hooked on Nora from there...I glommed her books and now I own all her books, sans the Once Upon series that she rights with three other authors...I will get those eventually, though...

I was disappointed in Blue Smoke, not from the story standpoint but while I was reading it I could totally see Eve Dallas saying the words coming out of Rena's mouth. It was more than just her style that was predicable but some of the words as well. I know that an author as prolific as Nora Roberts has got to have some overlap but I really don't want to know what author I'm reading just by some of the things the characters are saying. The later books are much better, maybe she just had some trouble thinking that book through. Who knows it could just be me.
New User
lipstickliz
0 Kudos

Hey jennifer, You can start from any series, because they are all different. nora roberts is a very unquie author. Why don't you try JD ROBBS? 
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Debbie wrote: I was disappointed in Blue Smoke, not from the story standpoint but while I was reading it I could totally see Eve Dallas saying the words coming out of Rena's mouth. It was more than just her style that was predicable but some of the words as well. I know that an author as prolific as Nora Roberts has got to have some overlap but I really don't want to know what author I'm reading just by some of the things the characters are saying. The later books are much better, maybe she just had some trouble thinking that book through. Who knows it could just be me.

Hey Debbie, I get what you are saying here...when I read Blue Smoke, I hadn't really gotten into the in Death series yet, so I wasn't able to pick out Eve's voice in this particular book. But, now that I have read a majority of those books, I see what you are talking about...Rena did sound a little like Eve...I think that because she had to become a woman like Eve after all the tragedy she endured, it makes sense for some of her actions to be very much like Eve's.
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
dhaupt
0 Kudos

paula_02912 wrote:
Debbie wrote: I was disappointed in Blue Smoke, not from the story standpoint but while I was reading it I could totally see Eve Dallas saying the words coming out of Rena's mouth. It was more than just her style that was predicable but some of the words as well. I know that an author as prolific as Nora Roberts has got to have some overlap but I really don't want to know what author I'm reading just by some of the things the characters are saying. The later books are much better, maybe she just had some trouble thinking that book through. Who knows it could just be me.

Hey Debbie, I get what you are saying here...when I read Blue Smoke, I hadn't really gotten into the in Death series yet, so I wasn't able to pick out Eve's voice in this particular book. But, now that I have read a majority of those books, I see what you are talking about...Rena did sound a little like Eve...I think that because she had to become a woman like Eve after all the tragedy she endured, it makes sense for some of her actions to be very much like Eve's.

You know Paula I didn't think of it like that but maybe I'll re-read it and see if I agree.
But all in all you can't go wrong with Nora. I especially love her trilogies.
Contributor
twtybrd1126
0 Kudos

I am new to this group, but I have read MANY of Nora Roberts books. I also loved Blue Smoke, but my favorite was her Dream Series - Daring to Dream, Holding the Dream, Finding the Dream. Now I have to say that I love all of her books but this series is BY FAR my favorite.
Happy Reading,
Alicia
Contributor
Sandy_44
0 Kudos

I enjoyed the series that was Blue Dahlia, Black Rose, and Red Lily.   I think that was the names of the books.  I always enjoy reading romance and mystery.  I really enjoyed how an older woman took in a younger pregnant cousin that she didn't even know.  Has anyone else read these books?
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Sandy_44 wrote:
I enjoyed the series that was Blue Dahlia, Black Rose, and Red Lily.   I think that was the names of the books.  I always enjoy reading romance and mystery.  I really enjoyed how an older woman took in a younger pregnant cousin that she didn't even know.  Has anyone else read these books?

Yes I'm a big Robert's fan and especially love her trilogy's and being a somewhat older woman myself I really look for mature women or at least in the 30's or 40's when I choose my reading material. And I especially liked Rosalind and Mitchell's story in Black Rose.
New User
Jenlynn7
0 Kudos

I read those books about a year or so ago and they were definately great. Have you read the Key series that she has. Three women who have never met come together to accomplish one goal and I lost alot of sleep reading that one. I am reading the Circle series now I am not the Dance of the Gods what does anyone think of that series.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Jenlynn7 wrote:
I read those books about a year or so ago and they were definately great. Have you read the Key series that she has. Three women who have never met come together to accomplish one goal and I lost alot of sleep reading that one. I am reading the Circle series now I am not the Dance of the Gods what does anyone think of that series.

Yes Jenlynn,
I really enjoyed the key trilogy. In fact I really like her trilogies better than her stand alones and I also really enjoy her in Death series as JD Robb with Eve Dallas. I think maybe it's because I come to like the characters in books so much that I prefer series so I can revisit them. And I especially liked the Circle trilogy and liked all the books in this series but I think my favorite was the third book the story of Moira and Cian. And the ending was really great. And here I am impatiently waiting for her second book in the Sign of Seven trilogy to come out.