Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
read2teach
0 Kudos

Re: Nora Roberts

I like the books better too.  Northern Lights was okay, sometimes from page to screen it gets a little cheesy.  I am looking forward to Midnight Bayou.  I really enjoyed the book!
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I'm usually disappointed in movie versions of books that I love. But I still am happy to support any cinematic treatment of romances. There are so many great stories that get overlooked because they are romance novels!
Distinguished Correspondent
ReaderGal74
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

The Lifetime channel is airing a new batch of movie versions of Nora's books. The first one aired this past Saturday - Northern Lights with Eddie Cibrian and Leann Rimes. Midnight Bayou, High Noon, and Tribute are airing the next three Saturdays. Check out the link below!

And did anybody see Northern Lights? I'm going to search to see if it's re-airing because I missed it. (Though I have read all the gossip about the stars getting together in real life.)

http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/movies/nora-roberts

It is on again tonight at 9pm
Books...Never leave home without them
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

there was a marathon of her movies on sat , started at 11. i, personally, thought that northern lights was very different from the movie. the book was soo much better, believe me. i cant wait to see the next movies though, hopefully those will be better.

i havent read montana sky but i thought the movie was great. same with carolina moon but i read that book. the other movies, i didnt think they related very good.

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I wonder how much (if any) input Nora has with the screenplays.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Nora Robert's Movies

I realize that this is about the Lifetime movies that follow the storyines a few of her books, but I was wondering how well they follow the books. But I just recently discovered the movies and really loved them!

I've seen Angel Falls, Montana Sky, Carolina Moon, and Blue Smoke. I haven't read any of the books yet, but I wanted to know, if anyone has seen read the books and seen the movies, how they compare.

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

Re: Nora Robert's Movies

Dreamer4ever wrote:

I realize that this is about the Lifetime movies that follow the storyines a few of her books, but I was wondering how well they follow the books. But I just recently discovered the movies and really loved them!

I've seen Angel Falls, Montana Sky, Carolina Moon, and Blue Smoke. I haven't read any of the books yet, but I wanted to know, if anyone has seen read the books and seen the movies, how they compare.

No comparison.  The books are hands down so much better.  Read the books they are great.  I just recently tried to watch Northern Lights on lifetime and couldn't finish it.  The book was so much better.  I don't know why but the lifetime movies haven't been able to live up to my expectations.  I also read all the books first so that might have been the problem.  But do read the books.

Reader 4
hud270
0 Kudos

Read the books there is no comparison the books are much better.  The movies leave out a lot of the little stuff that makes the story more enjoyable.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Okey doke. I'll definitely read the books. I'm glad though that the movies are free to watch on the Lifetime website! I don't have the Lifetime channel and like that I could see the movies anyway. I'm going to watch Northern Lights.
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i agree, read the books, the movies are good, but the books...theres no contest.

i didnt read montana sky but i really enjoyed the movie. were the book/movie pretty similar?

and northern lights...i thought it left a lot..i didnt think it follwed it that well

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Cheyenne_Catina wrote:

i agree, read the books, the movies are good, but the books...theres no contest.

i didnt read montana sky but i really enjoyed the movie. were the book/movie pretty similar?

and northern lights...i thought it left a lot..i didnt think it follwed it that well

The movie of Montana Sky wasn't awful, but the book is one of my favorites:  way, way better than the movie.

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

o really well then...well tomarow is midnight bayou...i really hope they dont ruin it..the prologue was great...ive read all the movies that are coming out
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

I'm reading Midnight Bayou so when I watch it I'll be able to compare.
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

hopefully the movie relates to the book pretty good

Frequent Contributor
read2teach
0 Kudos

Anyone else watch Midnight Bayou?  I thought it was pretty good.  I don't remember if it was completely accurate, since it has been a couple years since I read the book.  The acting felt real in this movie and that goes a long way to making the story feel right.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

read2teach wrote:
Anyone else watch Midnight Bayou?  I thought it was pretty good.  I don't remember if it was completely accurate, since it has been a couple years since I read the book.  The acting felt real in this movie and that goes a long way to making the story feel right.
I recorded it but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i watched it

i thought i t was good..but yeah its been a year since i read so i could be fuzzy on the details

and sad to say, i thouhgt the guy couldve looked better

Melanie_Murray

This is completely catty, but Jerry O'Connell just didn't interest me at all. I would have liked a different actor, I think.

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

This is completely catty, but Jerry O'Connell just didn't interest me at all. I would have liked a different actor, I think.

Amen Sister!  Not catty but true.  I didn't like Northern Lights because I couldn't figure out why Leanne Rimes was playing the female lead.  Isn't she a singer?  She should stick with what works and stay away from acting.  Was that catty?  Sorry.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I watched Midnight Bayou last night and found it surprisingly good.  I even thought Jerry O'Connell was pretty good, and I'm not really a fan.  I thought Faye Dunaway was great and I LOVED the actress who played the female lead.  I tend to prefer unknowns playing this sort of role.