Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

OUTLANDER - Book 7 (Sanctuary)

I must confess that I found much of this section hard to read; in fact, I skimmed most of the account of Jamie's time at the prison and his injuries.

Yet, I thought the part with Claire in the monastery was extremely well done. Her time in the chapel and her conversations with Brother Anselm were moving and philosophical, and a big part of why these books are so rich and well-deserving of their accolades.

What did you think of this last section? Were you disturbed by what Jamie had to go through? Did that diminish Jamie and Claire's reconnection for you at all? And were you, like me, disappointed that Jack Randall wasn't given more of a comeuppance? I really wanted to read the scene in which he was tortured and killed. Also, I wondered if he really had been trampled by the animals or if he somehow lived to fulfill Claire's "prophecy" of his death.

Post your thoughts below!

Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite
0 Kudos

Re: OUTLANDER - Book 7 (Sanctuary)

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I must confess that I found much of this section hard to read; in fact, I skimmed most of the account of Jamie's time at the prison and his injuries.

Yet, I thought the part with Claire in the monastery was extremely well done. Her time in the chapel and her conversations with Brother Anselm were moving and philosophical, and a big part of why these books are so rich and well-deserving of their accolades.

What did you think of this last section? Were you disturbed by what Jamie had to go through? Did that diminish Jamie and Claire's reconnection for you at all? And were you, like me, disappointed that Jack Randall wasn't given more of a comeuppance? I really wanted to read the scene in which he was tortured and killed. Also, I wondered if he really had been trampled by the animals or if he somehow lived to fulfill Claire's "prophecy" of his death.

Post your thoughts below!

I was ready to just skip over the torture scenes with Jamie when I read OUTLANDER the second time around but found that since I knew what was coming, I was able to get past my shock and disgust and concentrate on what it took for Jamie to have to go through that for Claire, have to tell her about it, and for Claire to have to re-live it with him.  I knew exactly how Claire felt when she said she didn't want to hear it but felt she must listen to it for hers and Jamie's sake.  Absolutely, this brought them even closer.

I love the way time-travel is addressed in relation to a person's faith and belief in God.  So many novels do not address this aspect at all. 

I haven't read any subsequent novels in the series yet (but believe me I'm starting right away!) but I am assuming we have not heard the last of Jack Randall.  Frank could not exist if Jack was trampled in the prison so I'm thinking that this will be addressed in a later novel.

And thank-you so much Melanie for moderating our discussions!  It has been so much fun to chat with others who enjoy reading about Jamie and Claire as much as I do.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

I was really disturbed by the torture/rape stuff, but I do think it added to the book, and to our knowledge of Jaime. I found the homosexuality issue quite complex, especially since Jack had tried and failed to rape Jenny because she quit fighting him.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Lmfwhite - You're very welcome! I've loved talking about this book with you all!

Bonnie824 - I wondered by Diana Gabaldon chose to go as far as she did with Jamie's torture/rape. This is certainly a dark, dark turn for a romance to take. But I suppose that's why this book stands so far above most books...

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I think that Ms. Gabaldon is not only trying to tell us a story but give us a realistic view of life then as well as the atrocities that were committed to "political" prisoners and how exactly the English felt about the Scots and vise versa. I think that be reading this section carefully you want Jack Randall to be eaten alive by wolves while having all other things happen to him and then for him to go through Dante's hell.

I didn't skip this part as I thought it was important to the story and how incredibly in touch with each other that Jamie and Claire are. Also it gave me a more in-depth insight into how Jamie viewed his "masculinity" after Jack's attack because even though in reality I don't think most men would recount their horrors of prison and torture Jamie believed in Claire enough to do so.

I also liked the stay at the monastery for Claire and her relationship w/Brother Anselm and how it developed. 

I do admit that my box of kleenex were always handy.