Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

October 8th: Visit with Jodi Thomas

[ Edited ]

Ah, the Western. I like any hero who can ride a horse, which is why I'm such a sucker for historicals, but there's a place in my heart for chaps and cowboy hats and cattle, too.

There's a new addition to the excellent Western series Whispering Mountain by the author Jodi Thomas:

The Lone Texan. And Jodi will be here next Thursday, October 8th, to chat all about it, and to talk about the Texas landscape that so inspires her.

Here's the story copy: Three days after arriving in Galveston, newly widowed Sage McMurray finds herself taken hostage in a robbery. She fears she may never see Whispering Mountain again when the outlaws decide to auction their pretty captive off to the highest bidder, until a tall stranger offers twice the highest bid.

Michelle Buonfiglio wrote beautifully about Jodi and The Lone Texan a few weeks ago. You can read that here. And don't miss Eloisa's thoughts on the book, in her monthly B&N Review.

And be sure to come chat with Jodi next week. In the meantime, check out her website and other Whispering Mountain titles.

Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain Series #1)

Texas Princess (Whispering Montains Series #2)

Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Montains Series #3)

Author
Jodi_ThomasTX
0 Kudos

Re: October 8th: Visit with Jodi Thomas

I'll be driving across Texas tomorrow and blogging as I go.  Ride along with me and I'll tell you about my books.

New User
lindabroday
0 Kudos

Jodi, I can hardly wait. I've ordered a hardback of this book and am anxious to get it so I can read Sage's story. Bet it the best one of the series. I know it's the most anticipated. Take care driving that roads. Good luck with the booksignings!

New User
maxine_a
0 Kudos

Can't wait to ride alone with you across Texas.  I love your books. Tall Dark and Texan made me laugh and cry.

Speak to you soon.

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

ive read a lot of your books...and havent been disapointed yet...i have the lone texan on hold-cant wait to read it!

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Author
Jodi_ThomasTX
0 Kudos

7:00 am.  Why am I up and on the road this early??  Oh, yeah, I’m a writer off to sign a few books, do a few interviews, talk a few talks, and eat all the truck stop food I can handle for the next few days.  I’m leaving the Barnes and Noble’s parking lot in Amarillo, Texas, and heading toward Fort Worth.  Come along with me and we’ll talk writing as my wide eyed assistant, Julia, drives.

My 24th Historical Romance hits the stands this week.  THE LONE TEXAN was great fun to write.  I love it when I watch a character grow up in my stories.  Drummond Roak started out as a wild kid raised in an outlaw camp.  At 15, he’s caught stealing horses on the McMurray ranch called Whispering Mountain.  Because they’re dealing with the death of one of their friends, a Texas Ranger, the McMurray men don’t page much attention to him, but Drum gets to watch them.  The kid sees a strength in family that he hadn’t even known existed.  When the only McMurray girl tries to treat his wounds, Drum falls in love with Sage.

In THE LONE TEXAN story Drum is grown and waiting for Sage to come home.  He knows she sees him as a wild kid who’s grown to be a gun fighter, but his love for her hasn’t changed and he plans to declare that love even if he has to fight all three of her brothers and half the Texas Rangers to do it.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Welcome Jodi!

Can't wait to read your missives from the road!

Melanie

Author
Jodi_ThomasTX
0 Kudos

7:30 a.m.

I’m looking out the window wishing I was at the ranch Whispering Mountain.  I love the Texas Panhandle but I swear, it’s so flat I can see the curve of the earth.

8:00 a.m.

We’re passing through Clarendon, Texas.  I set two books based on this town.  The cowboys used to call the original town ‘Saints Roast’ because it was founded by the Methodist and the cowboys used to say,’that’s where the saints go to roast’  Because the town did not allow any gambling or wild women, a traveling saloon circled the town setting up tents out in the middle of the prairie.

You may asked how I know these people of Texas.  I’ve got five generations of Texans in my blood.  I don’t make up characters so much as write about a kind of people I know.

9:00 am

Passing through Memphis.  Here the land is not so flat.  This time of year it’s beautiful.  I can’t walk this land without having stories just at me.  When I started the Whispering Mountain series I wanted the ranch to be different so I write a legend about the mountain.  If a McMurray sleeps on the top of the mountain, he’ll dream his future.  All the boys believe the legend because their father dreamed his death.  In each book the men have to face the questions:  If you knew your could dream your future, would you want to know???

Though all my characters did climb the mountain to dream, I’m not so sure I would want to know.

New User
ARegularReader
0 Kudos

Re: Jodi Thomas ... The Lone Texan

Hi Jodi.  Just finished The Lone Texan ... Sage's story is so wonderful.  She is so strong, but then how could she not be being raised by three brothers!!!   Are you going to do another story on Whispering Mountain?  Also, how about new anthologies coming up. 

New User
maxine_a
0 Kudos

I'm enjoying the ride across Texas.  By the looks of the weather map, you might hit some rain.  We can

always use it.  Will continue to follow you.  Loved the last book.

New User
NatNB
0 Kudos

Hope you have a wonderful booksigning event. Looking forward to hearing from you on the road.

Author
Jodi_ThomasTX
0 Kudos

10:00 am

We’re pulling into Estelline now.  This place makes Memphis look big.  My great uncle told me once the basketball teem in this town got a chance to go to state one year during the depression, but had no travel money, so they all got out on the road and hitch hiked to Dallas so they could compete.  This place reminds me of  TWISTED CREEK  a little.  I’ll bet everyone in town knows everyone else.    A blessing and curse at the same time.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

What fabulous descriptions, Jodi!

I've never been much of a camper, but sleeping at the top of a mountain sounds nice when you talk about it. I don't think I'd want to know my future, though.

Author
Jodi_ThomasTX
0 Kudos

10:30

Pulling into Quanah.  My grandmother Price was born in a covered wagon here before this settlement was even named Quanah.  It’s hard to believe that less then 150 years ago battles were being fought on horseback over this land.

11:00

Heading toward Fort Worth.  No more stops until we get to the Barnes and Noble in downtown.  I may be out of range for a while.  Check my website for a list of all my books.  I’ll check in later and answer all questions.  Happy Trails.

New User
nandyekle
0 Kudos

I feel like I'm traveling down the road with you.  Our family has been over that stretch many, many times and I can see it with every one of your posts.  I have started reading your book and I'm already deeply absorbed!  Good luck to you!

New User
maxine_a
0 Kudos

You make it sound like a trip between Amarillo and Ft. Worth is exciting.  I hope your trip is a success. Will

chat later.

Author
EloisaJames
0 Kudos

This is so much fun to follow, Jodi!  Come back and tell us how it went?  And by the way, what's up next?

I loved the book (as evident from the column, I suppose)

cheers,

Eloisa

Learn more about A Duke of Her Own.

Discover all Eloisa James titles.

New User
NatNB
0 Kudos

I am a huge fan of your stories, and I have really enjoyed your book videos. In particular the one for Give Me A Texan - Wow! What a kiss! Do you think about and plan your own book videos?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love Jodi's books, but my all time favorite is FINDING MARY BLAINE. (Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm always talking about this one.)

Finding Mary Blaine

Author
Jodi_ThomasTX
0 Kudos

4:30

Leaving Fort Worth at the moment.  They have a great Barbes and Noble!  I loved 2 story books stores. We are traveling across DFW.  Such a rainy day… clouds clouds clouds.  If I ever get out of this traffic I will be heading North toward McKinny.

Rainy daiys always make me wish I was home writing.  Cloudy days are the best days to read.

Will post again later when I get the chance!

Having a great day in the big city!