Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Paranormal Romances Other then Vampires and Werewolves

kgentile wrote:
Hi, I am new to this and wanted to chime in and then ask for help from everyone.  Some of my favorite comtemporary paranormal authors inclue Katie MacAlister, Erin MacCarthy, Mary Janice Davidson, Kimberly Raye-her series includes a vampire running a dating service, Gerry Bartlett, just to name a few.  I also enjoy reading Jennifer Rardin.   I read a book in the past and can't not for the life of me remember the title or name of the author.  I can remember the story line though.  The story line involves a paranormal "house cleaner" who takes in a foster care teen who happens to be a fairy. She is hired to "clean a house" that her ex-husband to be is trying to swindle out of the original owner.  Ther are ghosts involved in this story also.  If anyone has read this book and can tell me the name  I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Was the book you're referring to by Jennifer Rardin?  I only found two of her books at BN.com, here's a link:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=jennifer+rardin&bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE 

And while it's not the same series you were referring to, you might like the Ghostdusters series by Wendy Roberts.  Here's a link to the first book, Remains of the Dead.  I think the second book in the series is due out around the first of the year.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Remains-of-the-Dead/Wendy-Roberts/e/9780451222688/?itm=1&bnit=H... 

Contributor
bfitchett
0 Kudos

Ok I've found another one!! This is the Aisling Grey Guardian Series. There are four books in the series and they revolve around Aisling Grey, a regular woman who falls into a world of magic and the unknown including a very hot Dragon. I've read 3 of the books so far and they're really good.

Inspired Contributor
osha341
0 Kudos

The only book that comes to mind is Ghost of a Chance by Kate Marsh (aka Katie Macalister) but this book was printed in 2/08, it sounds like the book, I've got it but have read it yet. 

Here's the summary:  Part-human, part-otherworldly exorcist Karma Marx agrees to clear her oily human husband Spider's haunted house in exchange for an uncontested divorce. At the house on Washington's Olympic Peninsula, she finds a poltergeist cop named Adam who claims that he, rather than Spider, owns the house; a psychic, Savannah; a bunch of imps who keep turning up, and many other denizens-almost all of whom have a reason to hate Spider. When he's found dead, suspects abound; thanks to a seal that Adam places on the house, everyone is trapped for 12 hours, during which Karma and Adam are determined to identify the killer.

kgentile wrote:
Hi, I am new to this and wanted to chime in and then ask for help from everyone.  Some of my favorite comtemporary paranormal authors inclue Katie MacAlister, Erin MacCarthy, Mary Janice Davidson, Kimberly Raye-her series includes a vampire running a dating service, Gerry Bartlett, just to name a few.  I also enjoy reading Jennifer Rardin.   I read a book in the past and can't not for the life of me remember the title or name of the author.  I can remember the story line though.  The story line involves a paranormal "house cleaner" who takes in a foster care teen who happens to be a fairy. She is hired to "clean a house" that her ex-husband to be is trying to swindle out of the original owner.  Ther are ghosts involved in this story also.  If anyone has read this book and can tell me the name  I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Lindy...
Powerful Women's Motto: Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says... "Oh sh_t...she's awake!!'
Contributor
werecat
0 Kudos

The first book is Sleeping with the Fishes, the second is Swimming Without a Net. Mary Janice Davidson has the third in the series coming out soon too.
New User
kgentile
0 Kudos

That is the book. Thank you soo much. Now my brain can finally rest.    In regards to recommending authors, Marta Acosta has a series the first called The Happy Hour at Casa Dracula and the second book Midnight Brunch are funny and a quick read. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did. Thanks again.
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You might also like books by Michelle Rowen and the Enchanted, Inc. series. I think that's what it's called - I'll doublecheck.

Yes - Enchanted, Inc. by Shanna Swendson. She writes books about witches. Check them out here.

Message Edited by Melanie_Murray on 09-14-2008 10:54 AM
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melaine,

Michelle Rowen is one I have not heard of before and I will have to see if I can find any in the used bookstore.  And thank you everyone who has posted and most of them I have read since started this thread.  I just finished Anna Windsor's Dark Crescent Sisterhood trilogy.  and found Jennifer St. Giles' Touch Of The Wolf and The Lure Of The Wolf.  I also Cheyenne McCray's Forbidden Magic.  And I also got Anya Bast's Witch Fire and Witch Blood to read.

Toni

Message Edited by Nelsmom on 09-14-2008 12:28 PM
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
Indigo-Dragonfly
0 Kudos

Swimming with the fishes, sounds like such fun!! Thanks for the recommendation. I still gush over Anne Rice's Vampire Chroncles, can't help it. Interview is still an all time favorite of mine. I don't really know many werewolf novels. I don't know the name of the ghostly "house-cleaner" book , you spoke of. Sorry!

I also liked David Moody's Autumn series quite a bit. Ghosts? Loved Ghost walk, and the book Haunted Lily by Sidney Fox. Thats a new series. Vampire romance novels....JR Ward's series. And Demon Moon is a good vampire romance.

Indigo-Dragonfly

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

Melaine,

Michelle Rowen is one I have not heard of before and I will have to see if I can find any in the used bookstore.  And thank you everyone who has posted and most of them I have read since started this thread.  I just finished Anna Windsor's Dark Crescent Sisterhood trilogy.  and found Jennifer St. Giles' Touch Of The Wolf and The Lure Of The Wolf.  I also Cheyenne McCray's Forbidden Magic.  And I also got Anya Bast's Witch Fire and Witch Blood to read.

Toni

Message Edited by Nelsmom on 09-14-2008 12:28 PM

I have both of the Anya Bast books in my TBR pile, too.

Inspired Contributor
osha341
0 Kudos

Here are some authors and their books without Vampires and Werewolves:

ANDREWS, ILONA - MAGIC BITES - MAGIC BURNS - MAGIC STRIKES 3/09

ARMSTRONG, KELLEY - DIME STORE MAGIC - INDUSTRIAL MAGIC 

BATTIS, JES - NIGHT CHILD

BLACK, JENNA - THE DEVIL INSIDE - The Devil You Know MORGAN 2 - THE DEVIL' S DUE MORGAN 11/08

BLAIR, ANNETTE - - KITCHEN WITCH - SCOT, WITCH , WARDROBE - MY FAVORITE WITCH - SEX & PSYCHIC WITCH - Never Been Witched, Feb 2009

DAVIDSON, MARY JANICE - SWIMMING W/THE FISHES - SWIMMING WITHOUT A NET - Fish Out of Water 11/08

FOX, ANGIE - THE ACCIDENTAL DEMON SLAYER

GALENORN, YASMINE - GHOST OF A CHANCE - MURDER UNDER A MYSTIC MOON

GILMAN, LAURA ANNE OR LAURA GILMAN RETRIEVERS: - CURSE THE DARK - STAYING DEAD - BRING IT ON

LIU, MAJORIE M. - SHADOW TOUCH - THE IRON HUNT

MACALISTER, KATIE - PLAYING WITH FIRE - Light My Fire - Fire Me Up - Holy Smokes - Up in Smoke 10/08

MARSH, KATE - Ghost of a Chance

SAINTCROW, LILTH - 1 NIGHT SHIFT 

WELDON, PHAEDRA - SPECTRE 

WISDOM, LINDA - 50 WAYS TO HEX YOUR LOVER - HEX APPEAL 11/08

Lindy...
Powerful Women's Motto: Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says... "Oh sh_t...she's awake!!'
New User
jorge
0 Kudos

Have you tried Laurell K. Hamilton's "Meridith Gentry" series?  It's dealing with fairies, goblins and the Sidhe.  I really like this series.  I also like her "Anita Blake" series but that deals with vampires & werewolves.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Jorge,

Thanks for the suggestion but I have all of Laurell's books and have reread them several times.  Both Anita and Merry series.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:

I also Cheyenne McCray's Forbidden Magic. 

I loved this book. I don't think we've talked about Cheyenne McCray much on these boards, but I really like her.