Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Amelikas
0 Kudos

Please Help! Desperate!

For the life of me I CANNOT remember the title of this one book I've read years ago. Please forgive me my faulty memory as I try to describe it. I believe it was a series but I've only read one installment.

I believe it was set in the Victorian era. The heroine is a sleuth. She is courted by two men. One is a single father (maybe a doctor?) whose wife had supposedly run away, and the other is a manipulative dark beast (euphemism not actual) who has a painting of a woman who looks like the heroine in his bedroom.  In the one I read, the estranged wife of the doctor returned and pleaded for a second chance. For some reason, the doctor allowed her to return but he never trusted her. Through a series of events, they were suppose to meet but she never shows up and he believes she'd reverted to her old ways and thought she'd ran away again. It wasn't until later that he learned she'd gotten into a carriage accident and was fighting for her life. Finally relenting, he decided to stop courting the heroine and try to make his marriage work. Meanwhile, the heroine has discovered the painting in the dark-haired guy's room and discovered the depth of his desire for her. Touched and maybe realizing she'd had feelings for him, she decided to help relieve the pressure of his desire by giving him (please forgive my words) a **bleep**. Throughout all of this, the main heroine is trying to solve a mystery and the guys try to keep her out of trouble.

:'( This is all I could remember but I really want to read it again. So please, if anyone could help or point me in the right direction, I would love them for life. Please please please, and thank you!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Please Help! Desperate!

Amelikas wrote:

For the life of me I CANNOT remember the title of this one book I've read years ago. Please forgive me my faulty memory as I try to describe it. I believe it was a series but I've only read one installment.

I believe it was set in the Victorian era. The heroine is a sleuth. She is courted by two men. One is a single father (maybe a doctor?) whose wife had supposedly run away, and the other is a manipulative dark beast (euphemism not actual) who has a painting of a woman who looks like the heroine in his bedroom.  In the one I read, the estranged wife of the doctor returned and pleaded for a second chance. For some reason, the doctor allowed her to return but he never trusted her. Through a series of events, they were suppose to meet but she never shows up and he believes she'd reverted to her old ways and thought she'd ran away again. It wasn't until later that he learned she'd gotten into a carriage accident and was fighting for her life. Finally relenting, he decided to stop courting the heroine and try to make his marriage work. Meanwhile, the heroine has discovered the painting in the dark-haired guy's room and discovered the depth of his desire for her. Touched and maybe realizing she'd had feelings for him, she decided to help relieve the pressure of his desire by giving him (please forgive my words) a **bleep**. Throughout all of this, the main heroine is trying to solve a mystery and the guys try to keep her out of trouble.

:'( This is all I could remember but I really want to read it again. So please, if anyone could help or point me in the right direction, I would love them for life. Please please please, and thank you!

Okay I'm not sure but could it be part of The Deadly Series by Brenda Joyce

Deadly Vows (Francesca Cahill Series #9) 

Deadly Illusions (Francesca Cahill Series #7) 

Deadly Kisses (Francesca Cahill Series #8) 

New User
Amelikas
0 Kudos

Re: Please Help! Desperate!

Oh. My. Gosh. Thank you so very, VERY much! XD