Contributor
michelleanovel
0 Kudos

Please answer honestly - are you looking for something different?

I've been reading romances since I was a kid.  They're a great escape.  This is a general question for all romance readers - aren't you sick of the same thing? 

I know they're an easy read and I know they're a fun escape from every day life, but you know from the minute you pick up the book until the minute you put it down how it's going to end. 

I wrote a different type of romance, it's on here but I don't want to plug my book (I do, but I won't - I'm just looking for feedback here).  I just want to know how many women would like a romance with a bit of an edge?  One where you aren't quite sure what's going to happen and where you have two hot guys vying for the girl instead of just one. 

I'm not giving the name of my book on here, I just want to know some honest feedback.  How many people like a book where it keeps you guessing instead of knowing how the end is going to turn out?  Any answers from regular romance readers are most appreciated.  Thanks. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Please answer honestly - are you looking for something different?

That type of book would be classified as women's fiction rather than romance. Sure, a lot of women love women's fiction. But when today's readers pick up a romance, it's because they are assured of a happy ending at the end of the book.

Now, some books - especially in paranormal romance and urban fantasy - may include a romance that doesn't achieve a happy ending until the end of a three (or more) book story arc.

But in the straight romance genre, that HEA is pretty much where the line is drawn.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I should stress that I'm describing industry standards. Some readers might be happy without a guaranteed happy ending, but the HEA pretty much defines the romance genre.

What name do you write under? 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Becke's right, I do enjoy women's fiction, mystery and a lot of other genres, but when I pick up a romance novel I need the HEA, one guy one gal

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

I would have to agree with Becke and Debbie. Women read a romance novel expecting that HEA  and if it doesn't happen we are let down. Women even the women on here don't just read romance novels. I read teen books, romance, paranormal, fantasy, and when I was younger I read mystery.

This is the same reason that you find so many women going to see a chick flick, we might know the end result of the movie and maybe be able to guess some of the movie lines based on past movies but we still go to see most chick flicks. I think your idea for a book is great and if there is a happily ever after by the end of the book between one of the males and the female then its romance.

Plus even romance books in themselves are in different categories, there is historical, contemporary, paranormal, fantasy. Also if romance is what a person likes then they will keep reading the same HEA type of books over and over. No author gets to the HEA the same way and I think its wrong to group all romance or all romance authors together.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Contributor
michelleanovel
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies.  Saying that, though, in Gone With The Wind, the heroine is in love with Ashley Wilkes.  She only realizes her love for Rhett Butler at the end of the book.  It creates a love triangle and is considered to be one of the greatest romances of all time. 

I know the formula for a general romance book.  Mine is a bit different.  I want the reader to be satisfied at the end, but I wanted to toss in another character.  But he's no Ashley Wilkes (I thought Gone With The Wind was well done and there was no reason to rewrite it). 

I don't know how well my book will do.  I self published because I knew it wouldn't fit into any particular market.  It's heavy on the romance, has a lot of history and blends real life people with fictional characters.  I always thought Ashley was a bit of a.....well, a wimp.

Like I said, I read a lot of romance.  But I also read a lot of mysteries and thrillers.  I don't like to know what happens at the end of the book.  I put mine in as a romantic mystery.  But I agree with the poster who said that this might be categorized as Women's Fiction. 

Again, I'm not going to bring up my book on here, just want to get some discussion going.  But I will say that there is a HEA in the book.  I know better than that. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

That's a good point, but I would say if any story set the framework for today's romance books, it's probably Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice.

Good luck with your book!

Contributor
michelleanovel
0 Kudos

Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice is my favorite book of all time.  Of all time. 

But it's been done. 

Author
LucyMonroe_author
0 Kudos

According to literary experts, all plots have been done and will be done again.  Including the love triangle, with lemon or without. :smileyhappy:

Self-publishing is an amazing undertaking and something I've encouraged for certain books for certain authors I've mentored.  Whether yours would have found a spot in a NY or small press, is immaterial - it *did* find a place in your heart and you've made it possible for other readers to enjoy it as well.

If you would be interested in having a BRA (book release announcement) put up on my blog at some point in the future, I'm happy to do that for you.  I love introducing new authors to my readers.   Just email me off my website.

Hugs and happy writing and reading!

Lucy

http://lucymonroe.com

--
http://lucymonroe.com
http://www.lucymonroeblog.blogspot.com
Join Lucy's Fan Page: http://tiny.cc/0HRGW
Contributor
michelleanovel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Lucy.  That is so nice of you - I have emailed you.  It is difficult.  I don't know if an agent would have taken this book or not.  My main goal was to have it in print.  To give to people I knew .  I didn't expect the sales at Barnes & Noble.  Thank you for your help.  I will do the same for you in return - just ask.  My author profile is ready.  My name is Michelle Regan and the book is called Chasing Eliot Ness.  Thanks again! 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

MIchelle, your book does look compelling and I can't wait to read it. I've also asked my library to order it as they love to promote up and coming new authors.

Good luck

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Contributor
michelleanovel
0 Kudos

You know something.....you gals are really, really nice people.  It's really nice to know that there are some nice people in the world.   Thank you for what you've done. 

I confess that I came on these boards looking for some sort of promotion (my first posts to other threads were like that) but then I started liking the idea of talking to other writers.  Most of my friends don't read much and those who do aren't into romance.  I also live in an area where, as the old saying goes, when someone says culture, someone grabs a gun :smileywink:  I tried to start a writer's group in my area and 2 people showed up.  One of them was a friend who doesn't even write. 

I broke the romance rules with my book.  All of them.  I just wanted something different. Some people will like it, some won't.   I can live with that. 

I really do like coming on here.  Can anyone recommend other books with a strong romantic slant that breaks some rules?  I'd like to read them.  It's really nice to come to a place where people like to talk about reading and writing.  If nothing else, this book led me to a forum where I finally found like minded people.  And nice people, too. 

Contributor
michelleanovel
0 Kudos

I've gotta say one more thing about Pride and Prejudice and get this out of my head while I'm still thinking about it.   This is for fans of P&P - IMO, the best romance written. 

Ever wonder if Elizabeth had been more pragmatic about her situation and taken Darcy up on his offer?  Didn't really respect him much, but saved her sisters and mother from getting tossed out of their house when Mr. Collins took over? 

But still held high esteem for Mr. Wickham.  The officer.  Above reproach because he wore that nice red coat and was ever so charming.  Came recommended by Captain Denny.  Elizabeth....a young woman.....a country girl and naive when it comes to men.  Unaware of the fact that Darcy did love her enough to marry her even though she was out of his society.  And that Wickham was the ultimate opportunist.  Willing to do anything to get what he wanted.  Ever wonder if she would have gotten a really good taste of what Mr. Wickham was all about how she would feel? 

Darcy knew she liked Mr. Wickham.  Knew the score on him & even told her.  She believed him - what if she didn't?   What if Wickham didn't get engaged to Miss King, didn't run off with Lydia?  What if Mr. Wickham really, really, really wanted to get even with Darcy?   And kept himself above reproach the entire time....sort of like he was untouchable. 

Things could have still turned out happily for Elizabeth, but she would have been just a bit wiser. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

michelleanovel wrote:

You know something.....you gals are really, really nice people.  It's really nice to know that there are some nice people in the world.   Thank you for what you've done. 

I confess that I came on these boards looking for some sort of promotion (my first posts to other threads were like that) but then I started liking the idea of talking to other writers.  Most of my friends don't read much and those who do aren't into romance.  I also live in an area where, as the old saying goes, when someone says culture, someone grabs a gun :smileywink:  I tried to start a writer's group in my area and 2 people showed up.  One of them was a friend who doesn't even write. 

I broke the romance rules with my book.  All of them.  I just wanted something different. Some people will like it, some won't.   I can live with that. 

I really do like coming on here.  Can anyone recommend other books with a strong romantic slant that breaks some rules?  I'd like to read them.  It's really nice to come to a place where people like to talk about reading and writing.  If nothing else, this book led me to a forum where I finally found like minded people.  And nice people, too. 

Michelle, we're all friends here and try to be nice to everyone and I hope we succeed.

Now about those recommendations, Have you read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, it has a very strong two guy one gal theme and very strong romantic tendencies.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Michelle - one thing here, we all LOVE books. We love to meet authors, too, especially those who introduce themselves gracefully, as you did.

We're all very happy to have you join us! Melanie, who moderates Romantic Reads, is checking in when she can but is pretty occupied with a newborn and a toddler. We'll keep you company in the meantime, but we're all big Melanie fans here - can't wait for you to meet her, too.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Miss Bubbles Steals the Show Yes Michelle, we are big Melanie fans, in fact while you're waiting to meet her, here are the books she's published and they're very good. Light, comic and really well written.

Good Times, Bad Boys 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'll second that - I've read them both!

Contributor
michelleanovel
0 Kudos

Thank you!  I really, really need a good, light romantic read now to clear my head.  You guys have given me the suggestions.  I'll check out these books.  I will check out Melanie's books as well as the Stephanie Plum book.  I get tired of reading the same old books, haven't read mine (I haven't read the book since it's been published - I know that's weird) and desperately need a break. 

You are all really nice people.  Thanks for the suggestions.  It's so nice to see so many people who love to read! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Try anything by Nora Roberts, Jennifer Crusie and Susan Elizabeth Phillips, too.