Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Q&A with STEPHANIE CHONG, The Demoness of Waking Dreams

[ Edited ]
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: Q&A with STEPHANIE CHONG, The Demoness of Waking Dreams

Welcome, Stephanie! Can you a give us a plot summary of The Demoness of Waking Dreams? 

The Demoness of Waking Dreams is a love story about the forbidden desire between a demon and an angel.

Luciana Rossetti is a Rogue demoness on her annual hunt for a human sacrifice to the devil.  Guardian angel Brandon Clarkson is sent to track her down.  An ex-cop with a tough-guy exterior, Brandon is highly intelligent and an expert at his job: safeguarding humankind.

In the lavish and labyrinthine city of Venice, their passion ignites.  Their love changes each of them profoundly, yet threatens to destroy them both.

How is The Demoness of Waking Dreams different from other paranormal romances?

Every paranormal romance offers something unique, and that’s what I love about the genre! Paranormal romance writers work in the realm of possibility – every writer has a different vision of the endless possibilities in our world (and sometimes even in other worlds).

The vision of Venice I had for this book is quite different.  It’s the intersection of the real Venice with a mystical Venice, and a world that exists partly in the realm of dreams.

Tell us a bit about Brandon. Why will women everywhere be falling in love with him?

There’s definitely the lust aspect.  Brandon is a hot ex-cop with a tattoo-covered, rock-hard body…but there’s more to him. 

Brandon’s emotional appeal lies in his deep and complex nature.  He’s exciting and intelligent – he spends his days chasing down criminals and safeguarding humankind.  There’s also a lone wolf side to him that’s mysterious and enticing.  But he loves intensely, and he’s very passionate.  And at heart, Brandon is a genuinely good guy.

How is Luciana different from the average romance novel heroine?

Luciana is largely evil, unlike most romance heroines.  Sure, she has her redeeming qualities.  But she takes part in some very bad activities.  The most challenging aspect of writing her character was creating sympathy for an evil person, which is not the easiest task.  An evil woman is especially hard to justify.  Women are traditionally supposed to be good, sweet and kind.  Luciana is the opposite.

In The Demoness of Waking Dreams you use different point of views in your storytelling. Was it difficult to write like this, or just fun?

Fun!  To me, different points of view open up a story and add different dimensions.  It feels natural to me, because I like to look at all perspectives of any given scenario.  One day, I’d also like to write in the first person.  The intimacy and immediacy of the first-person voice really appeal to me.

You have a pretty impressive bio…five university degrees, a J.D. a Ph.D. a Master's, and you were a lawyer at a top-tier Canadian firm…why the jump to romance novelist? What inspired you to make the leap?

Thanks!  I’ve wanted to write since I was a kid.  Books were my first love – my undergrad was in Comparative Literature.  The transition from law to writing was less of a “leap” than a “slide” for me.  I completed two degrees after leaving law and before publishing my first novel. 

Why romance?  Love is the most important thing in the world.  That may be trite, but it’s true.

What advice do you have for other people looking to transition to a career in writing? 

I still consider myself a new writer.  I’m constantly working on taking my own advice.  With that caveat, this is what I recommend for anyone seeking publication:

Stop worrying about the publishing end of things. Focus on your writing! Keep working on the craft of storytelling. Read poetry. Get your heart broken and then put it back together. Take jobs that challenge you. If you hate your work, quit and find something you love. Backpack through a foreign country. Feel the grit of life beneath your feet. Take risks and fail. Try again and see what went wrong the first time.

Live.

Then gather it up and pour it all out onto the page. All the joy, the rage, the heartbreak, the beauty, the desolation and the fragility that comes with being human. Be brave on the page. That is the only thing that will make you an interesting writer.

What book is currently on your nightstand?

Stephen E. Ambrose’s Band of Brothers, which was the basis for Spielberg’s TV series.  I’ve recently become fascinated with WWII history.

What's up next? Another installment in A Company of Angels series? Something new?

Right now, I’m writing the third “Company of Angels” book.  Keep an eye out for it in 2013!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Q&A with STEPHANIE CHONG, The Demoness of Waking Dreams

[ Edited ]

Melanie thanks for this Q&A I LOVE this new and really inventive series. I won't give any spoilers but OMG when I was done reading book two the only thing I wished for was that she'd hurry up with the next one in the series.

Great article, and great review on the romance blog and I advertised it over in General Fiction