Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for GENA SHOWALTER

The big question: Sienna :smileyhappy:  I don't want to give too much away, so I'm going to side-step that question by saying that Paris will have a happy ever after one day, I promise!!!

Learn more about the Lords of the Underworld Series.
Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

When I was writing Paris's captivity scene, i didn't know that he would find someone he could be connected to for more than one time.  I'm such a fly by the seat of my pants writer, I'm as surprised by what happens as readers are.  I've learned not to question the process, though, and know that everything will later fall into place.  

In fact, here's an example.  First time Danika came on the scene in Darkest Night and I wrote that she was a painter, I kind of blinked and thought, "Huh.  Why not a writer or nurse?"  I didn't have the answer until I wrote Darkest Pleasure and then it was such an OMG Of Course! moment :smileyhappy:  So I go with the flow and accept the little tidbits the characters show me.  

I do believe Pandora will be a big part of the series as time goes on.  But that's all I can say :smileyhappy:  

Contributor
Cup-Cake
0 Kudos

Ooh one more.  Gena, I like William, will he eventually get his own book too?  Also I'm starting to think that Cronus is not such a bad guy...:smileytongue:

Adriana
Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

William is one of my faves.  He'll absolutely have a story :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Ma-Petite
0 Kudos

Hi again I have another question, Mythology has a wide array of stories , what made you ero in on the story of Pandora's box. Also just from being on lots of forums concerning The Lords books I see everyone seems to want Paris story. Are you shocked by how much people took to his story?

Last but not least(atleast until I think of some more questions) In DP you seem to be toying with a budding romance between Torin and Cameo how will that play out in the next two books? Oh wait thought of another Why was Reyes, Aeron and Lucien shocked that the  Legion is a girl? I don't know why but when she showed up in the cave I immediately thought girl. I'm guessing that's going to be a big part of Aeron's story can't wait to read that one :smileyhappy:

Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

I have always been fascinated by the story of Pandora's box.  Evil trapped inside. . . unleashed. . . good trying to overcome. . . so many possibilities.  It's one of those stories that stayed with me from the moment I first heard it, one in desperate need of a retelling :smileyhappy:

Ah, sweet Paris.  I loved him from the first, as he was the most modern of all the Budapest warriors.  But I never thought he'd be the one readers wanted most, considering the number of women he's been with -- and will ultimately be with.  

You will find out if Torn and Cameo are meant to be together in the 4th book, The Darkest Whisper (May 09)

They assumed Legion was a boy because that is what they are most familiar with, what they know.  :smileyhappy:

New User
BookLover2004
0 Kudos

Pleeeease bring Sienna back. I just love Sienna and Paris together!! PLEASE PLEASE don't make me beg lolol I don't know how Paris became my favorite warrior but he did. I just love him to pieces, especially how he loves Sienna and how heart broken he is -- especially in the end of Danikaand Reye's book when Danika hugged him and told him eveything will be ok and he just hugged her and walked out. It's enough to break your heart! I know you can't give away too much (that would kill the suspense lol) but PLEEEASE bring her back :smileyhappy:

Also, I really like Legion. I hope somehow she can turn out to be pretty and be with Aeron. She seems so attached to him and he to her.

I like William too. I hope he gets a happy ending.

Contributor
Cup-Cake
0 Kudos

Gena, I was interested in purchasing the Nymph King.  Do I have to read the Atlantis Series in order to understand the book?  In Lords of Underworld there's no way around it, you would be lost if read out of order.

Adriana
Frequent Contributor
Ma-Petite
0 Kudos

Self- sacrice seems to play an important role in the books, When writing do you try to think of a way that the Lordsand their woman can sacrifice themselves for love that is relevant to those characters? Also since Sabin is the next book, what type of woman do you have in store for him?( since he seems to be over the falling in love thing.)

Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

You absolutely don't have to read the Atlantis books in order to understand them!  No worries on that front at all :smileyhappy:

Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

I don't think about it, which seems odd.  Things (ways for the characters to sacrifice that are relevant to their love) present themselves as I write, springing up from the characters and their situations. :smileyhappy:

Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

Missed the part about Sabin.  LOL  His heroine. . . she surprised me.  Big time.  I dreamed her one night.  It wasn't yet time for Sabin's story (I had planned to tell Aeron's) but when I "met" her, I had to tell about her relationship with Sabin. I can tell you that she is an immortal, though a kind I have never written about before.

Frequent Contributor
Ma-Petite
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Gena_Showalter wrote:
Missed the part about Sabin.  LOL  His heroine. . . she surprised me.  Big time.  I dreamed her one night.  It wasn't yet time for Sabin's story (I had planned to tell Aeron's) but when I "met" her, I had to tell about her relationship with Sabin. I can tell you that she is an immortal, though a kind I have never written about before.

LOL you sort of answered my next question with-in your answer. I was going to ask why the jump from the six original Lords story to Sabin's.  In DP Galen , keeper of hope was introduce as the guy who heads up the hunters. I guessing we'll hear more of his story in the coming books. I just found it interesting that the hunters who are against the demons is actually being lead by a demon. I really didn't see that and alot of other stuff in DP coming.I just want to say I really enjoy this series I havent been this excited about a series since Harry Potter. :smileyhappy: I  want to say thank you for coming and answering our questions.  I really appreciate it. I'll try not to become annoying by asking too many question :smileyhappy:
Message Edited by Ma-Petite on 08-06-2008 12:43 AM
Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

No such thing as too many questions :smileyhappy:

And you just made my day!! 

Frequent Contributor
Ma-Petite
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Where did the idea for the butterfly tattoos come from? and why a butterfly?
Message Edited by Ma-Petite on 08-06-2008 10:50 AM
Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

In many of the versions I read of Pandora's box, the evil spirits were portrayed as butterflies as they emerged from the box.  That sparked an idea. . .  so there is indeed a reason the Lords have them, and it will be revealed in the 4th or 5th book :smileyhappy: 

New User
heather1229
0 Kudos

I dont really have any questions! I just want to say Thanks! for writing these great books, it gives me something to look forward to!  And when the day comes and the book is released, I'll put the husband and kids on ignore(happens when I have a good book) and disappear into that world for awhile!! :smileyhappy:

Thanks!!!!

New User
Darla
0 Kudos

Hi Gena!

I don't have any questions about the Dark Lords yet...I've got the books but haven't read them yet. After reading all the questions and answers about them in these posts, I may have to move them up in my pile!

My question(s) are...

Did you & Jill expect Author Talk to be such an big sensation?

How did the idea come about?

What are the latest developments in the Gnome wars?

New User
MarnieColette
0 Kudos

Gena - you need to have a talk with Paris about so difficult ... tell him that his legion of fans want his story.   Also, about Torin...I would love to be his heroine, any idea's on when he is planning to let you write his story?

Thanks for all the great books!

Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

We had no idea Author Talk would become such a smash :smileyhappy:  We almost didn't post the first interview, in fact. Thought it would be career suicide.  

I did an interview where the interview knew nothing about me and even asked me about books I didn't write.  I told Jill and she said, "We have to spoof this."  So we wrote the script and boom!  Author Talk was born.

Gnome wars -- she's winning.  She recently left me a gnome welcome mat on my porch LOL