Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for GENA SHOWALTER

Torin's story is actually beginning to take shape.  But that's all I can say!  No, not true.  It's not going to be what anyone expects.  Now that's all I can say LOL

Learn more about the Lords of the Underworld Series.
Frequent Contributor
Ma-Petite
0 Kudos

Hmmm so does that mean That Misery(Cameo) will be even more miserable :smileywink:
New User
Bellie
0 Kudos

Hi Gena!!!

I love this series. I have to say that my favorite, even though I havent seen enough of him is Gideon. Every scene that you have written with him so far cracks me up!

my question is: Do you think that you'll be writting a book for him? As much as I love reading about him, I cant imagine what a mission it'll be to write a book where the main character can only speak lies.

New User
cmedina2002
0 Kudos

Hello!!!

I just wanted to say thank you!! Your stories are awesome and I can't believe I have to wait until May!! :smileywink: lol

Wishing you all the best,

a fan from Puerto Rico! :smileyhappy:

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Hey Gena,

I'm posting this question from poster 56711-77:

Hello Ms. Showalter:

I must admit that I had never read any romance novels like yours before.  One day I was in Target looking for a new romance novel to read.  And I hate to admit it, the cover is what attracted me to your book about Maddox.  I thought "what a sexy cover" and so I picked the book up and began reading it at home.  Why did I do that...I am obsessed with these men.  These Lords of the Underworld.  First of all I would like to ask you who makes the decision of how the men look on the cover?  I mean it puts a better spin into what the readers picture the men to appear in their minds.  Nothing prepared me for the covers of both "The Darkest Pleasure and The Darkest Kiss."  OMG! Those men r gorgeous.  Anyways, I wanted to tell you that you are an excellent creator of words and a true visionary.  Your books draw me into the L.O.T.U. world.  I get mad at myself for reading the books too fast because then I'm wanting more and more.  I know that creating each characters story isn't easy so I wont ask for you to put a rush on the other books.  I have to ask, why Sabin?  I thought maybe it would be one of the other 3 L.O.T.U. Like Torin, Aeron or Paris.  I'm excited either way it goes.  I can't believe the next book is coming out so late. Do you have any ideas on if Maddox and Ashlyn's baby will be immortal or mortal or if it will hold the key to the final pieces of artifacts that are hidden?  Or will the baby have stronger powers then any of the men?  Lastly, how will you write the story for Torin and Cameo?  Will she be the only person to be able to touch him?  Will we ever know what Amun can hear that he never speaks but looks knowingly into the persons eyes?

Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

Oh, yes.  Gideon will be getting his own story.  You get to see inside his head in the 4th book, The Darkest Whisper :smileyhappy:

Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

Thank you so much!  

The publisher does the covers.  I can offer ideas beforehand, but ultimately they decide. 

I picked Sabin because I dreamed his heroine and once I met her, I had to tell their story.  There was no way around it.  When a character stands up and says "It's my turn," I don't even think twice.  The magic is there, simply waiting for me to write it down.  Writing someone else would be forcing a story to take shape and is absolute agony.

I don't really get to pick the release dates.  Again, that's a publisher decision.  Originally the next Lord book was supposed to be a Nov 09 release, but I had the book written (once I started, I couldn't stop) and a spot in the schedule opened up, so we were able to move the date to May 09.  It was either that, or push it back and do another back to back.  We thought readers would like the sooner date.  :smileyhappy:

I'm happy to say a lot of your story questions will be answered in book four.  Everything else. .  .I change my mind so much or things change as I'm writing, that I always hesitate to answer. :smileyhappy:  

Frequent Contributor
Deliciouskiss2u
0 Kudos

Gina-

I totally fell in love with Aeron's character I cant wait to read more about him when is his book ?? I must say I love all of your books... everyone of them is so different LOVE IT ... !!!

TEAM EDWARD!!!!!"hell's not so bad if you get to keep an angel with you."- Edward Cullen

Alicia Maria
New User
KHemphill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I absolutely loved this series as well as your Alien Huntress series! I'm anxious to learn the fates of both Torin and Aeron, so please remind them to speak up! I also wanted to say that Kyrin is my most favorite hero in any book I've read, you did such a fantastic job with him that I found myself going back and reading the parts with him over and over again! And don't tell my bosses because I work for the Library but I went and bought both series because I wanted to reread them over and over again! Please give your publisher kudos for the wonderful covers of the Lords of the Underworld, they added just the right appeal to go with your wonderful stories. The only question I have is that it seemed to me that Sabin and his crew seemed more light hearted or humorous than the Budapest crew...was this done on purpose?

Keep up the great work! I eagerly await the next...and the next...and the next!

Karen Hemphill

Message Edited by KHemphill on 08-08-2008 03:54 PM
Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

re: Sabin and his crew being more lighted/more humorous than the Budapest crew

I did it on purpose because Sabin and his crew had an entirely different set of life experiences.  While the others sought peace in Budapest, they stayed in Greece (for a while) to war.  Then they traveled, continuing the war.  They spent a lot more time with humans and were more integrated into society.  So, to me, their personalities and speech patterns had to be more modern.  :smileyhappy: 

New User
ADwyer1
0 Kudos

Gena,

I absolutely love your demon series. After speed-reading through the three available I decided I needed to go ahead and read your alien series so that's where I'm at now. No questions from me I guess, just wanted to say that it isn't often that an author leaves me truly guessing as to how stories could possibly turn out! I mean, let's face it, a lot of romance books are pretty predictable. You, however, have provided such an amazing and in-depth story line with your demons that I can't help but try to guess what could possibly happen next and how on earth Cameo's story could end happily ever after..:smileyhappy:among other, equally important dilemmas I'm left wondering about. I guess what I'm saying is thanks for the spontaneity and completely unpredictable stories!! Can't wait for the rest!

Frequent Contributor
Ma-Petite
0 Kudos

Will we get more insight about Williams precious book in the upcoming books?
Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

William isn't a *huge* player in book four, but in the book after that he will be.  I want to tell his story so badly!  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Ma-Petite
0 Kudos

To me William is sort of like Paris and Gideon combined. I'm very interested in the woman who will win his heart. You have any idea on what the woman will be like? Will she be mortal or immortal?

Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

I haven't met William's heroine yet :smileyhappy:

New User
Firreiel
0 Kudos

I aso have read the trilogy, though I love all the characters I would have to say my favorites are Torin and Paris. I know you said that you will write about all the lords. Do you really think Torins will be that far away? Even though it don't seem likely that he will ever be hooked up. 
Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

Things for Torin's story are beginning to fall into place for me, so he's story won't be too far off.  :smileyhappy: 

Frequent Contributor
stardrifting
0 Kudos

Questions for GENA SHOWALTER

Hello Gena, I just finished your Atlantis series and I wanted to tell you that I LOVED The Nymph King.  The names she picked for herself were so funny that I had to laugh out loud at how he took it.  Thank you for sharing such wonderful books!  

I have yet to get the first two in the LOTU series, though I was able to pick up the last one.  We live out in the country, so it looks like I am going to have to order the others.  I can't read the last until I get through the first, you know. 

My question for you is:  Where do you come up with your characters and inspiration?  From reading other questions on here, I'm guessing you dream about some of them.

Stacy

Author
Gena_Showalter
0 Kudos

Thank you so much!

For the most part, the characters kind of shape themselves as I write.  Sometimes, though, they'll just sit up in my mind and it's like I've known them forever.  That's how it was with the heroine I dreamed for Sabin.  I just knew her.  

I find inspiration everywhere.  A conversation (usually with fellow author and critique partner Jill Monroe), something I see, read.  

Contributor
ShellBell
0 Kudos

Hi Gena

I love your books and am eagerly awaiting the release of The Vampire's Bride next year.

Do you plan on folllowing on from Catch A Mate - I always thought Jake & Co needed their stories told!

cheers

Shelley