Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Re: RWA Nationals with Special Correspondent Dee Davis!

Dee! That sounds like so much FUN! I can't wait for all the updates.

Author
Dee-Davis
0 Kudos

tz-tower-of-terror-400-3.jpgDay 2!  Spent the morning with Julie Kenner and Sherri Browning Erwin and my daughter at Disney Hollywood (used to be Disney MGM).  Rode the Tower of Terror twice, and the Rockin' Roller Coaster once.   Also Star Tours and Great Movie Ride (the Wizard of Oz segment is my fav).  Got back to the hotel and all kinds of people had arrived.  Talked to Elosia James, fresh in from Paris.  As well as Emily McCay, Robin DeHart, Julie Ortolon, Teresa Medeiros, Geralyn Dawson, Christina Dodd, and lots of others.  Great fun to see old friends, although I looked like a melted candy bar after a day in the hot and humid parks!  Off to dinner tonight and then Epcot.  Stay tuned for more!

www.deedavis.com
A-Tac is back!
Dark Deceptions, Dangerous Desires, Desperate Deeds
Blogger
Maria_Lokken
0 Kudos

Hi Dee! 

Sounds like you're having a blast.  I'm looking forward to hearing all about the literacy signing and The RITA Awards. 

I remember when I was at RWA a few years ago, Brooke Bornermann from Dorchester Publishing said The RITA Awards was the only place where so many woman got all dressed up and there wasn't a man in site.  Please take some photos - the attendees always look fabulous.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Dee, I'm green and that's with envy not from the Terror ride.

Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on all the goings on at RWA. Hey maybe there will someday be an A-Tac ride ;-)

Author
Dee-Davis
0 Kudos

my dinner.jpgKouzzinas restaurant, owned by Chef Cat Cora was FABULOUS.  Seriously one of the best meals I've ever had and I've had some pretty good ones.  It was the Whine Sisters Dinner with Jacquie D'alessandro, Sherri Browning Erwin, Julie Kenner, honorary members Julie Ortolon and Lexie Oberwetter. Started dinner with spanakopita, baked cheese, and fried calamai that was so tender it just melted in your mouth.  Then I had a "tasting menu"  with Lamb burger (I know that's what I thought too.  But it as amazing...seriously so good I didn't want to share.)  And then a Greek lasagne which was meat and cheese and pasta baked together in a ramakin.  The third dish was chicken with cinnamon.  Melted in your mouth.  Had great Baklava for dessert.  All in all a wonderful meal.  Then everyone went to Epcot for the evening.  (Started day in Disney Hollywood -- Tower of Terror and Rocking Roller coaster.)  All in all a great day!

www.deedavis.com
A-Tac is back!
Author
Dee-Davis
0 Kudos

julie and sherri.jpgHere's a couple of pictures from Kouzzinas.  First one of Julie Ortolon.  And then one with Sherri Browning Erwin and Julie Kenner.julie.jpgod

Today we went to Animal Kingdom and rode the new Yeti roller coaster (three times).  And had a splendid lunch in the park as well.  Tonight is the literacy signing.  I'll post pictures late tonight or in the morning.  

www.deedavis.com
A-Tac is back!
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Dee - It sounds like you are having a great time. Am I the only one who is not getting the photos? Anyone have a hint about why? I'd appreciate the help...

Anne

Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
0 Kudos

I'm not getting the photos either. Not sure why.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Not getting photos either

Author
Dee-Davis
0 Kudos

I'll see if I can find out what's up with the pictures  I can see them on my computer.  But am so sorry some of you can't.  Especially the food pic from Kouzzinas.  Yum!  But more so for the ones I'm going to be posting from the conference.   The literary signing was really great.  A full house.  So many authors, so little time.   The ballroom used here at the Dolphin was spacious enough that people didn't get as crowded as in some years past.  Nice wide aisles I took lots of pictures.  Will post some of them here, and if you still can't see them I'll post on facebook.   Anyway, huge lines for big names like Nora, Eloisa James, Julia Quinn and loads of others.  Lots of women with rolling backpacks to stash their newest books.  And of course everybody catching up with friends and chatting with their favorite authors.  All and all loads of fun!   Visited with, among others, Eloisa James, Julie Leto, Jane Graves, Kathleen O'Reilly, Lisa Hendrix, and loads of writer and readers.  Saw the wonderful Cherry Adair from afar as well as Christina Dodd, Christina Skye, Heather Graham, and Brenda Novak.

Today the conference begins in earnest.  With workshops starting this pm.  Lou Aronica filled PAN membersin on the state of the industry.  Lots of talk about the growing importance of the digital market.  Regular sessions included a wonderful workshop on balancing a healthy life with writing.  Trish Milburn, Michelle Butler and Tawney Weber.  HQ also hosted an open house for unpublished writers.

And the first round of parties begins tonight.  More on that later!

www.deedavis.com
A-Tac is back!
Author
Dee-Davis
0 Kudos

From the literary signing

Nora RobertsNora.jpg                   Elosia James and Teresa Medeiros

Mary.jpg

Brenda JacksonBrenda Jackson.jpg

Diana Love Sherrilyn Kenyon.jpgDiana Love and Sherrilyn Kenyon

www.deedavis.com
A-Tac is back!
Frequent Contributor
Mommy-Read-Write
0 Kudos

First, thank you for all of the updates so far.  It sounds like an amazing time! Second, Kouzzina's sounds really delicious.  Finally, I'm with the group who can not see the pictures.  I'll check facebook for the photos.

Sheery

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Hey guys - I'm working on clearing up the photo issue...stay tuned...

Meanwhile, regarding that meal...Dee, you had me at fried cheese!

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Hey guys - I'm working on clearing up the photo issue...stay tuned...

Meanwhile, regarding that meal...Dee, you had me at fried cheese!

Thanks Melanie - I knew you were the best !!!!!!!

Anne

Author
Dee-Davis
0 Kudos

kim and robert.jpg   Thursday night I went to the Trident Party.  As always was  lovely affair.  Great people and good food.  Talked with writer Pierce Mattie and editor Kate Seaver.  Two of my favorite people.  Also Shauna Summers and the lovely Julie Kenner.  I'm posting a picture of host Robert Gottlieb and agent Kimberly Whalen.  After that spent time visiting with the hysterically funny Emily McKay and Tracy Wolf, and several other auhors.  Emily was decked out in Gryffindor red complete with jacket and tie.  Wish I'd had the time to check out the new Harry Potter ride at Universal myself.  All in all a lovely day!

www.deedavis.com
A-Tac is back!
Blogger
Marisa-ONeill
0 Kudos

Dee - it sounds like you're having a terrific time! I'm living vicariously through you. All those amazing  authors in one of the most fun filled places on earth... can't get much better than that! Can't wait to hear all about the RITA awards ceremony!

Author
Dee-Davis
0 Kudos

Rockie.jpgOkay a little on workshops.  Went to some really great ones.   At the top of the list one on promotion with Roxanne St. Claire and Teresa Medeiros.  Most of the talk was about social networking.  Facebook and Twitter mainly.  But there was also good information about added content-prequels, deleted scenes, special novellas etc.   The booksellers workshop was also interesting, with representatives from several of the book chains, including our very own Barnes and Nobles.  Lots of great information about how changes in the industry, particularly growth in the digital market are changing the way bookstores do business.  Today I also went to a great workshop on dialogue with Julia Quinn, who is always interesting.  And I also checked out a workshop on the state of the industry that included among others, Bantam editor Shauna Summers.  Nora Roberts workshop was standing room only, but it's worth it to hear both her wisdom and wonderful sense of humor.

Today ended for me with the Grand Central Book Signing.  Always so much fun to meet readers and writers as they come by.   Great fun! 

www.deedavis.com
A-Tac is back!
Author
Dee-Davis
0 Kudos

Last night's parties were fabulous.  But first a quick note about the Pocket Party on Thursday (no I didn't attend, but have friends who did).  Anyway, they had dinner at the Coral Reef, a private affair that was followed by VIP seating for illuminations and a dessert bar at Epcot.  Someone said it was the best publisher dinner ever.  How cool!   I did attend the Grand Central Publishing author dinner.  And it was AMAZING.   Great food and company.   It was at Il Mulino.  And I had  marvelous chicken picatta, but there were other choices as well.  And then we had wonderful desserts that everyone shared.  The tiramisu was fabulous. Thanks to Amy Pierpont and all the wonderful folks at Grand Central for wonderful party.  The Random House party was also at Il Mulino.  I know this because I accidentally walked into their party thinking it was mine.  St. Martin's had a cocktail party as well at a wonderful venue on the Boardwalk -- the Dance Hall.   And of course the evening wouldn't be complete without the Harlequin party which was held at the Waldorf Hotel.  Gorgeous place -- similar to the one in NYC.  There was a dessert bar (I am not coming home thin) and a great DJ and a whole lot of women dancing to the beat of the 70's and 80's.  All in all an exhaustingly wonderful night.   Here are a couple of photos from the HQ party including one with Julie Leto,HQ party.jpg Julie Kenner and Emily McKay.Emily, julie and Julie.jpg

HQ 1.jpg

www.deedavis.com
A-Tac is back!
Author
Dee-Davis
0 Kudos

Off to the Ritas.  I won't be able to post here until after the ceremony. But I'll post pictures after the fact, and in the meantime you guys can watch Twitter because all kinds of people will be tweeting about the event.  Twitter hash tag is #rwa10   And you can follow live updates at www.rwanational.org Okay, so I'm off to view the splendor and root for all the finalists.

www.deedavis.com
A-Tac is back!
Author
Dee-Davis
0 Kudos

Well, it was a wonderful celebration of the best romances of 2009!  And with the announcement of the winners the last event comes to a close and RWA 2010 is completed.  Was a wonderful week in Orlando.  New friends, old friends, fabulous people, and some pretty fabulous outfits.  Not to mention the food.  And Mickey!   So I'm going to close with some pictures from the RITA awards ceremony.  My iPhone wasn't up to handling the darkened theatre, so no pics of the winners winning, but there were tons posted to twitter at #RWA10.  In the meantime though, enjoy the festivities.

And thanks for letting me have the chance to visit with you guys and share the experience.   Tomorrow (very early) it's onto a plane and then home to settle in front of my computer and write  Nice to have had the time to come out of the bower and into the Floridian light!!!!

29.jpg

photo13.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo23.jpg

www.deedavis.com
A-Tac is back!