becke_davis
0 Kudos

Raintree Trilogy

I recently picked up the trilogy of Raintree books written by Linda Howard, Linda Winstead Jones and Beverly Barton. I had only read books by Linda Howard so I was hesitant about this series, but the other books are good, too. The books are about a family with paranormal powers.

My one complaint is about an editing mistake in Sanctuary, the third book in the series. On page 25, in the same paragraph, a character is called Dr. Huxley once and Dr. Howell twice. Then in subsequent paragraphs he is Dr. Huxley again. How hard can it be to spot mistakes like this?
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Re: Raintree Trilogy

becke_davis wrote:
I recently picked up the trilogy of Raintree books written by Linda Howard, Linda Winstead Jones and Beverly Barton. I had only read books by Linda Howard so I was hesitant about this series, but the other books are good, too. The books are about a family with paranormal powers.

My one complaint is about an editing mistake in Sanctuary, the third book in the series. On page 25, in the same paragraph, a character is called Dr. Huxley once and Dr. Howell twice. Then in subsequent paragraphs he is Dr. Huxley again. How hard can it be to spot mistakes like this?

I have been interested in this trilogy too, but haven't found it at the library and wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it. Maybe the writers did this on a tight timeline and got it to the editors later than usual. Let us know how you like it please.

Bonnie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bonnie824 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I have been interested in this trilogy too, but haven't found it at the library and wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it. Maybe the writers did this on a tight timeline and got it to the editors later than usual. Let us know how you like it please.

Bonnie

I liked it a lot -- it's not as deeply plotted as, say, the Black Dagger Brotherhood but these are shorter books, a faster read, and possibly were written with the aim of offering a stepping stone between the traditional romance genre and the vampire/paranormal books that are gaining in popularity.

These would have worked equally well if they were combined in one volume, since the first two don't entirely stand alone without the third and concluding novel. The characters in all three were interesting but the third, Raintree: Sanctuary, was by far my favorite.
New User
mekeller
0 Kudos

I read all 3 as well. I would rather have had them in one volume or have each volume expanded further. All were very light on character development and I was left wanting more. I was disappointed that the third volume didn't pull it all together and engage the characters from the first two books until the very end. Overall I was somewhat disappointed. A fourth book pulling it all together would be very welcome!