Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

One of the things I appreciated about this book was that Lucy and her family were depicted as wholly normal people despite their psychic abilities.

 

I tend to believe in these kinds of phenomena. And after this book, I'm dying to know the color of my aura. What about you guys? Do you believe in the paranormal? Do you have any personal experiences that made you a believer? And what do you think of Heather Webber's depiction of the various Valentine abilities?

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
Posts: 2,628
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?


Melanie_Murray wrote:

One of the things I appreciated about this book was that Lucy and her family were depicted as wholly normal people despite their psychic abilities.

 

I tend to believe in these kinds of phenomena. And after this book, I'm dying to know the color of my aura. What about you guys? Do you believe in the paranormal? Do you have any personal experiences that made you a believer? And what do you think of Heather Webber's depiction of the various Valentine abilities?


 

I too tend to believe in these kinds of phenomena.  I think that there are a lot of things we can't explain and paranormal is as good a term as any that I have heard.  A lot of people say that I seem to know when someone needs help even before they realize that they do.  I think that Heather did a great job of describing the Valentine ablities.  Though I really wish I knew what Dovie's abilities were because I just feel like she has some but we just don't know what they are.

 

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
Posts: 133
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

We have all met people that either "energize" us or "deplete" us in some way. It's part of the human connection.

I believe Lucy has learned to pay very close attention to what she hears and that gives her the ability to "find" what is "lost".

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Inspired Correspondent
ponkle
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

I would say that most things can be explained by a person with a keen ability to observe. I do feel that it's in a person and not a learned skill so possibly there are some "paranormal"  abilities out there. I'm not sure but I do know some people seem to be able to just "sense things" while others are oblivious.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

I wondered abut Dovie's abilities too. I am hoping to find out more about Dovie in the next book.

She was a great character.

pen21

 

 


Nelsmom wrote:

I too tend to believe in these kinds of phenomena.  I think that there are a lot of things we can't explain and paranormal is as good a term as any that I have heard.  A lot of people say that I seem to know when someone needs help even before they realize that they do.  I think that Heather did a great job of describing the Valentine ablities.  Though I really wish I knew what Dovie's abilities were because I just feel like she has some but we just don't know what they are.

 

Toni


 

 

Correspondent
bookowlie
Posts: 177
Registered: ‎04-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

[ Edited ]

Nelsmom wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:

One of the things I appreciated about this book was that Lucy and her family were depicted as wholly normal people despite their psychic abilities.

 

I tend to believe in these kinds of phenomena. And after this book, I'm dying to know the color of my aura. What about you guys? Do you believe in the paranormal? Do you have any personal experiences that made you a believer? And what do you think of Heather Webber's depiction of the various Valentine abilities?


 

I too tend to believe in these kinds of phenomena.  I think that there are a lot of things we can't explain and paranormal is as good a term as any that I have heard.  A lot of people say that I seem to know when someone needs help even before they realize that they do.  I think that Heather did a great job of describing the Valentine ablities.  Though I really wish I knew what Dovie's abilities were because I just feel like she has some but we just don't know what they are.

 

Toni


 

Interesting observation about Dovie.  I think this first book (in a series) just scratched the surface of Dovie's character.  I feel that there was a hint of her abilities and we will hopefully find out more in future books.

Frequent Contributor
Re76
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎11-18-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

 

It made for a good storyline in this book. I do tend to wonder about the grandmother and what her abilities will be.....

Contributor
BaseballMomma
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎11-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

I want to know the color of my aura! And if it matches my husband's, lol! I do believe that there are people out there that have psychic abilities, but I have never had any personal experiences.

 

I think Dovie will end up with a power too. It should be interesting to watch her character develop throughout the series. I like how Lucy has a different power than the one she was born with. It's also interesting how her power is growing to where she can see the future, and I can't wait to see how it will continue to grow as she starts to look for missing people along with matching people.

 

 

HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎10-26-2009

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

 


bookowlie wrote:

Nelsmom wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:

One of the things I appreciated about this book was that Lucy and her family were depicted as wholly normal people despite their psychic abilities.

 

I tend to believe in these kinds of phenomena. And after this book, I'm dying to know the color of my aura. What about you guys? Do you believe in the paranormal? Do you have any personal experiences that made you a believer? And what do you think of Heather Webber's depiction of the various Valentine abilities?


 

I too tend to believe in these kinds of phenomena.  I think that there are a lot of things we can't explain and paranormal is as good a term as any that I have heard.  A lot of people say that I seem to know when someone needs help even before they realize that they do.  I think that Heather did a great job of describing the Valentine abilities.  Though I really wish I knew what Dovie's abilities were because I just feel like she has some but we just don't know what they are.

 

Toni


 

Interesting observation about Dovie.  I think this first book (in a series) just scratched the surface of Dovie's character.  I feel that there was a hint of her abilities and we will hopefully find out more in future books.


 

 

     I felt that Dovie is just a loving mother and grand-mother. I could be wrong but I did not see anything else there. I was getting a vibe that maybe Sean had some hidden powers though. The reason was that he noticed the spark when they shook hands, her visions were not of a lost object (there has to be an explanation for that) and he had a near death experience and that is said to open the doors to paranormal activities.

 

     I used to believe in the paranormal but I have not seen anything that proves these claims and have lost the faith. I have seen people who claim to be psychic and ended up being manipulators. If there are people with these abilities, they are mocked because of all the fake ones getting publicity. When I meet people I get these gut instincts about them. Sometimes they are so strong I cannot get past it and will not get to know them. One guy I met was an EMT and worked on the same department my husband did. I did not like the guy before he even said hi. After that he wanted to stand too close to me. When I moved away he moved closer. When we left I told my husband the guy was a sex offender and he said that is not possible because of the background checks ran on the employees and that is just his personality and does that with all the girls. About a month later the man was arrested due to the Internet sting operations, you know the ones where the cops chat on the internet with men looking for young girls. The department he worked on gained negative publicity and had an investigation. I do not now if this is a paranormal event, I see as a gut instinct that I listened too. I did not have any visions, or see any colors, it was just an over powering feeling of danger. I think that Webber did a wonderful job explaining the powers of the Valentine's abilities. She did not contradict anything that I have heard about these abilities.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
Posts: 848
Registered: ‎08-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

Hi Everyone - I too enjoyed the fact that Heather depicted the Valentines as "normal" people. I can't deny that many people have unexplained abilities to sense/know things. Often, I will, all of a sudden, think of someone specific and within a very short time, that person will call or email me, for no apparent reason. It seems to be happening to me more and more frequently - I can't explain it - it just happens !! It is possible that the more open I am to possibilities, the more they happen. I'm fascinated by the way that Heather depicts the abilities that the Valentines have - just another possibility !

 

Anne

Inspired Contributor
lg4154
Posts: 72
Registered: ‎02-06-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

I believe in it, I am forever thinking of a song in my mind and will hear it on the radio & it freaks me out every time. I liked her description of the Valentine abilities.

Contributor
Texan09
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎11-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

Hello all! Like many of you have posted so far, I too believe that people can in fact possess these "talents". I love that Lucy's character was able to use her talents in a way that made her feel positively about them.  I can't wait to learn more about Sean, and what it is about him that affects her talents differently. Since her "talent" originally changed because of electricity, is his defribillator affecting her? It'll be interesting to see how it all evolves!

Frequent Contributor
Janga
Posts: 63
Registered: ‎11-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

I think "There are more things in heaven and earth . . . / Than are dreamt of in [any] philosophy." The important thing is that I believed in auras and Lucy's visions for the duration of the novel. 

HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎10-26-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

 


Texan09 wrote:

Hello all! Like many of you have posted so far, I too believe that people can in fact possess these "talents". I love that Lucy's character was able to use her talents in a way that made her feel positively about them.  I can't wait to learn more about Sean, and what it is about him that affects her talents differently. Since her "talent" originally changed because of electricity, is his defribillator affecting her? It'll be interesting to see how it all evolves!


 

OOooh I did not even think about that. I agree that it will be interesting to see how it evolves.

 

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

I really enjoyed this book. No, I am not a believer in "psychics," but I do believe that people have special "knacks." i.e. reading people, knowing how to help, even matchmaking   This book made those qualities fun and normal. The family had the same quirks other families have, yet they had the ability to bring joy into the lives of others. That is a true gift! Too bad they couldn't do it for themselves.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
Posts: 182
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

[ Edited ]

HBT wrote:

 

 I felt that Dovie is just a loving mother and grand-mother. I could be wrong but I did not see anything else there. I was getting a vibe that maybe Sean had some hidden powers though. The reason was that he noticed the spark when they shook hands, her visions were not of a lost object (there has to be an explanation for that) and he had a near death experience and that is said to open the doors to paranormal activities.

 

     I used to believe in the paranormal but I have not seen anything that proves these claims and have lost the faith. I have seen people who claim to be psychic and ended up being manipulators. If there are people with these abilities, they are mocked because of all the fake ones getting publicity. When I meet people I get these gut instincts about them. Sometimes they are so strong I cannot get past it and will not get to know them. One guy I met was an EMT and worked on the same department my husband did. I did not like the guy before he even said hi. After that he wanted to stand too close to me. When I moved away he moved closer. When we left I told my husband the guy was a sex offender and he said that is not possible because of the background checks ran on the employees and that is just his personality and does that with all the girls. About a month later the man was arrested due to the Internet sting operations, you know the ones where the cops chat on the internet with men looking for young girls. The department he worked on gained negative publicity and had an investigation. I do not now if this is a paranormal event, I see as a gut instinct that I listened too. I did not have any visions, or see any colors, it was just an over powering feeling of danger. I think that Webber did a wonderful job explaining the powers of the Valentine's abilities. She did not contradict anything that I have heard about these abilities.


I have to admit that I too thought that Dovie was just a "normal" grandmother. I think it was stated in the book that only the direct decendants had any powers which is why Lucy's mother didn't possess the family "gift".

 

I definitely believe that there are things we can not explain. I have had many instances in my personal life where I can't give a reasonable explanation as to why I know something. Maybe you're correct when you say it's just instinct or being very observant but I tend to think there are other "forces" at work! And isn't it more fun that way? :smileywink: A few examples: I always know when one of my cousins is going to call. I usually start out the day with her on my mind and then phone rings and it's her...and it's not that we talk everyday, months could pass between calls. I am also VERY tuned in to my kids (which I agree is a common occurrence with mothers) and have caught myself reaching for my cell phone a split second before it rings. I find that, in my case, my instincts seem to center around family members and more than one of us has displayed certain "psychic" abilities.

 

 

PB684
Wordsmith
Tarri
Posts: 457
Registered: ‎02-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

 

Do you believe in the paranormal?
I most definitely believe that there are people with physic abilites and that people stay around us after they have gone on. 
Do you have any personal experiences that made you a believer?
A couple of years ago I went for a physic reading just for fun, and to hear what she had to say.  This woman did not know me, but while we were talking about my dad (who has passed) she wrote a G on a piece of paper and said his name started with G.  My dad's name was Gene.  She also said several other things that astonished me.  Very interesting reading.
And what do you think of Heather Webber's depiction of the various Valentine abilities?
I like the idea of auras and matching people through their auras.  I want to know what my color my aura is ;-), I think it is blueish/purple. 

 

Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
Posts: 182
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?


HBT wrote:

 

< I was getting a vibe that maybe Sean had some hidden powers though. The reason was that he noticed the spark when they shook hands, her visions were not of a lost object (there has to be an explanation for that) and he had a near death experience and that is said to open the doors to paranormal activities.

 

    


 

I forgot to mention in my last post...I love this idea! I hadn't really considered the possibility that Sean had some powers but it makes total sense! Thanks for bringing that up. I will be excited to see if that plays out in the sequel!

PB684
Contributor
emperatrix
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎11-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?

I'm more of a skeptic, but I liked that the psychic abilities just seemed to fit the story. I thought the idea of the swatches at Valentine, Inc. was great, like paint swatches for the soul :smileywink:

Gricel

things-she-read.org
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
Posts: 100
Registered: ‎09-17-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Auras, Curses, and Psychic Abilities. Do you believe?


ponkle wrote:

I would say that most things can be explained by a person with a keen ability to observe. I do feel that it's in a person and not a learned skill so possibly there are some "paranormal"  abilities out there. I'm not sure but I do know some people seem to be able to just "sense things" while others are oblivious.


 

I agree with you ponkie!  I don't personally have any such abilities which has always made me a bit skeptical, but I do think that some people are much more sensitive than others.  I recently heard about a person who had formerly been color blind, but was able to distinguish colors after a mild brain injury.  There is still much to learn in this field.

T.