Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: General Discussion

How would you describe this book to prospective readers?

Because the romance scenes only discuss kissing and nothing further I would say that this book is fit for young teens and up. Of course everyones view what is apropreate for their child is different so I would suggest the parent to read the book and decide for themselves first. I would also tell them that the story is good and well written. The mystery is fun even if it is predictable. The characters are fun, lovable, and realistic and the paranormal that is added into the story only adds to the fun. It is after all fiction. I would add that I had love/hate feelings for Dovie. One minute I loved her the next I hated her and then loved her again. 

How would things been different with Sean, if Lucy had been honest from the beginning?

I think if Sean had known the truth from the beginning he could have helped her come up with a better explanation to give to the police as to how they found the body. Plus he could have came better prepared and she might not have spoken the the person in the woods who gave her description to the police. I am sure he would have gone with her, no matter how crazy it sounded.

Inspired Contributor
tweezle

I think I'd describe it as a cozy mystery with a romantic twist - or would that be a cozy romance with a mysterious twist? :smileytongue:  This book is one of those that you can snuggle up with on a nice stormy evening, with a cup of tea and your favorite afghan and just enjoy. I love that this is something I can share with my 16yo daughter and not worry about the content. This is one of those books that makes you feel all warm & makes you smile when you finish reading the last page.

Sean may have been intrigued, but the tension needed to be there. It was perfect - just that little bit to keep it interesting. If he had known, that fun would have been missing.

“Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” - Mason Cooley
**3 NOOKS with 3 separate accounts in one household.**
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

ponkle wrote:

I would describe this book as a mystery with comedy and romance also. The biggest point I would make is that Lucy is a character that many books could be written about. That's my favorite kind with a continuing character like I find in Iris Johannsen and J.D. Robb. I would also say that I couldn't put it down and since I live near the beach I'd say it's a fantastic book to take and read down there.

As far as telling the truth to Sean, I have mixed feelings. I always feel the truth is best but he would probably have thought she was crazy and wouldn't have believed her.

Hi Ponkle,

The truth is always best when it's a one to one social relationship but since Lucy relationship with Sean started out as business and considering the Valentines did not want their pyschic abilitlies revealed, Lucy had no choice but to take it slowly.  I agree with you that Sean would have thought her crazy and not believed her.  But she would also be taking the chance that he would label her as a charlattan and word would get out.  Couple that with the recent events with her father and all the Valentine credibiltiy would be gone.  She didn't lie to Sean, she just didn't reveal everything from the start.

Frequent Contributor
Janga
0 Kudos

I just described Truly, Madly on a bulletin board I frequent as  "a fun romantic mystery." It was a quick read with characters, primary and secondary, that I found engaging and am eager to revisit.

If Lucy had been honest with Sean, I would have found it out of character, given her family history and her secrecy with her best friends. I find character inconsistencies irritating.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I have already recommended this book to others. I describe it as a detective story with a love twist. Some of it was predictable, but it was soooo much fun. Lucy and Sean are meant to be together, but I'm glad everything didn't happen in this book. It gives me a great reason to buy the next one. LOL  Anyway, if Lucy had been honest at the beginning, I think that Sean may have thought she was a crazy lady. BUT, because the attraction was there from the beginning, I think Sean would have taken the time to try to figure her out.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
gotjack28
0 Kudos

I would describe this book as a fun, light read. The characters were likable and the descriptions of events, surroundings and characters weren't over done. I liked how Webber immediately got into the fact that Lucy has visions and described the way they work without making it seem to far fetched. I enjoyed the tension between Lucy and Sean. It wasn't to the point where I was saying 'ok, get on with it already!' It was tastefully done. I could feel the tension as I read, but knew that it would be resolved by the end. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Wow,I never anticipated getting so involved with the characters.All the stories within a story. Of course I want more,so I tried pre-ordering "Deeply,Desperately".Will it be out soon? I kept wondering what happened to Suz?Sean has many secrets,waiting to find out more.,he will tell it all to Lucy for sure.Heather you certainly know how to keep ones interest peaked!!This could go on for a very long time,with a series that will never get stale.The most fun I had while reading the book was the way Oscar assigned colors to each Client....Which in my world means so much.So in summary..It was Great.Thank you for being here with us next week.So many questions.I will say bye to Lucy for now,and catch up with her in  DD. Vtc  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
vpenning
0 Kudos

If someone asked me about the book, I would say that this was a humorous blend of mystery and romance. The characters were well developed and likeable. I enjoyed the magical aspect of the story,and felt the author did a good job suspending disbelief by making the history of her talents plausible.

I also enjoyed the journey of the romance that was presented. Even though the truth about her talents were not revealed to Sean, I felt that had it been done so in the beginning, the relationship would not have matured.

I also felt that the minor characters drove the plot at a balanced pace, and added depth to the protagonists.

Overall, I would recommend this read to anyone who enjoys romance novels.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed Truly, Madly and would describe it as a cozy mystery, with funny, true-to-life characters.  Lucy's friends are real people, even if her family is delightfully over the top.  I love how Lucy's grandma tries to run Lucy's love life, how her parents try to entice her into the family busines, and how Lucy avoids doing what they expect. 

I was not surprised that Lucy didn't tell Sean about her gift, but I was surprised that she didn't tell her best friends.  If Lucy had convided in Sean at the beginning of the book, the story would have taken a different plot line.

Frequent Contributor
CharminKB
0 Kudos

I will begin by saying that I am SO glad I signed up for this "sneak peak"!!  This was a very good  quick, light read and was just what I needed this time of year.  The characters were delightful and the story made you keep turning pages.  I'll confess now that I took this book to work with me on day and since everyone was out of the office, I sat and read the entire book!!  I could not put it down!

How do I think things would have been different if Sean and Lucy had been honest from the get go??  Honestly, in real world thinking - I believe honesty would have changed their course completely.  People are naturally skeptical of things like the paranormal, so I doubt Sean would have had the same opinion of her.  The same goes with Lucy's opinion of Sean - she may not have had a difference of opinion about him as a person, but knowingly getting romantically involved with someone with health issues is another story.  We would think nothing of staying with a partner that developed a health issue, but beginning a relationship at that point would be difficult.  It happens - and relationships are great - but for some it may be a difficult hurdle to jump in the beginning.

Again - I would recommend this book to anyone.  Personally, I read just about anything I can get my hands on, but tend to be a Stephen King, Dean Koontz type of reader - but this was an absolute delight!  I enjoyed every page and am already looking forward to the new one!

Contributor
elle21
0 Kudos

I'd say the book is a good blend of mystery and romance with a paranormal twist. A fast, fun read that sets up the series nicely. I think Lucy not revealing all to Sean kept him intrigued, and coming back. If she'd been upfront at the beginning, not sure if Sean would've believed her.

Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

I would describe Truly, Madly as a romantic mystery with a little bit of fantasy rolled in to make things really interesting - and quirky. It's the fantasy that adds the fun.

I wondered not only what would have happened if Lucy had been truthful with Sean from the beginning, but with the police also. I think she would have lost credibility if she let her secret out too soon. This way she was able to gain their respect, and especially in Sean's case, make him wonder just what it was about her that was different. It was a lot more fun watching her try to hide her ability while still trying to solve a mystery.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

First off, let me just say that I love this book! It's a fun read that appeals to anyone who enjoys mystery or romance or comedy or all of the above! It's got a little bit of everything that everyone can enjoy! Truly, Madly had me hooked from the first chapter. I loved reading about Lucy and her parents. I couldn't get enough of them. Can't wait for the sequel!

If Lucy had been honest with Sean from the beginning, I'm not sure he would have believed her. Here they just met and to tell him such a huge secret that even her best friends didn't know, might have sent him running in the other direction.

April
PiperMurphy

literature wrote:

ponkle wrote:

I would describe this book as a mystery with comedy and romance also. The biggest point I would make is that Lucy is a character that many books could be written about. That's my favorite kind with a continuing character like I find in Iris Johannsen and J.D. Robb. I would also say that I couldn't put it down and since I live near the beach I'd say it's a fantastic book to take and read down there.

As far as telling the truth to Sean, I have mixed feelings. I always feel the truth is best but he would probably have thought she was crazy and wouldn't have believed her.

Hi Ponkle,

The truth is always best when it's a one to one social relationship but since Lucy relationship with Sean started out as business and considering the Valentines did not want their pyschic abilitlies revealed, Lucy had no choice but to take it slowly.  I agree with you that Sean would have thought her crazy and not believed her.  But she would also be taking the chance that he would label her as a charlattan and word would get out.  Couple that with the recent events with her father and all the Valentine credibiltiy would be gone.  She didn't lie to Sean, she just didn't reveal everything from the start.

May I add another perspective? Sean hasn't been very up front with his own secrets, but isn't that the way that new relationships work? We take time to get to know each other and discover new things. But also, aren't we entitled to keep some secrets?

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

coffee_luvr wrote:

I would describe this book as an entertaining, light read with just enough suspense and mystery to keep the reader hooked.

I think that if Lucy had opened up a bit more with Sean earlier on, it would have reduced the tension.  I found it both frustrating and intresting that she could not open up and trust him.  But then, maybe that is a good thing as it kept me very interested in the development of their relationship.

Excellent take on the overall theme of the book, and on the relationship. I was getting annoyed with her keeping something secret which there was no indication would bother Sean, but it did keep a tension there that the mental only relationhip needed to stay interesting.

DebsScott
0 Kudos

What to say that hasn't already been said?  :smileyhappy:  I do agree that this was a fun, light read...something perfect for those times when you've just finished reading something heavy or when you just want to kick back and relax and take it easy.  I liked the blend of romance with the supernatural (although there were a few things that bothered me in parts).  I enjoyed it.

As for telling Sean the truth, well, I can understand her hesitancy.  He probably would not have believed her or thought her nuts so I can see why she didn't want to reveal her talent. 

~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
Frequent Contributor
Lildove3
0 Kudos

Truly Madly is a fun loving book, it's not a dull read at all...I personally would recommend this

book to anyone, because it covers all subject...love, mystery and excitement.

Well, if Lucy would have let the cat out of the bag early on...Sean might have thought twice

about getting involved with Lucy.

Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

I would describe it as an easy romantic read with just enough mystery in it to keep you guessing.  The psychic part blends in so easily that it almost seems natural.

I think it was the fact that Lucy hid so much from Sean that made it an interesting story.  If she would have told him about herself and her family, he might not have believed her for one and then he might have wanted to know if they really were made for each other.

Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

How would you describe this book to prospective readers?

Truly Madly is a fun romantic mystery built on a foundation of the paranormal.  The characters are interesting, enjoyable and quirky.  This is a book to read for sheer entertainment. The reader should not try to make this story something it is not.  If you try to impose too much realism in the storyline, the book will loose a lot of its charm.

How would things been different with Sean, if Lucy had been honest from the beginning?

I can only imagine what Sean's reaction would have been, if after knowning each other for only a few hours Lucy said "I'm a psychic and I just saw the 2 of us in bed together".  No. It was better to slowly let him find out.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

I would describe this book as a quick, light read with a bit of mystery, romance and "psychic" power.  LucyD is a compasionate character with a lot of heart. 

I think if Sean would have known the truth about Lucy from the beginning, he probably would've been scared off and they would not have had the chance to "get together".

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom