Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
shannonbh
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: General Discussion

I am with almost everyone else on the board - a nice, fun, light read - perfect for the beach.  I actually love mystery and romance together, with a little comedy thrown in there.  It was fun, and it didn't take long to dive in and finish it.  I enjoyed it! 

Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

I totally agree, it was a very easy and fun book to read and truly a good "beach" read!  The family was quirky (like mine) and disfunctional but a lot of fun to read about.  I love books about people with certain abilities and this was real interesting, and Lucy's way of dealing with stress by doing math in her head.  I also loved her relationship with Grendel, the 3 legged cat.  I hope in future books that Sean and Lucy can get together somehow!

"Open a book and the world is yours"
New User
DNW312Cali
0 Kudos

I would describe this book as a cute, fun book that leaves you wanting more. After reading this book, I really am looking forward to the next book.

I don't think things would have been different with Sean if Lucy had been honest from the beginning. I think because she wasn't honest, it really intrigued Sean to stick around to really find out what was going on, which helped them begin to build a relationship by spending so much time together. If he had known from the beginning about her secret, he might have thought she was crazy and never went along with her.

Reader 2
ngadkin

How would you describe this book to prospective readers?

Truly, Madly is light, fun reading, perfect in purses and book bags for all those in-between moments that pop up during the day. I call it "decompression reading," as it helped me relax and escape from the rush of the day into Lucy's world. What I like best about Lucy is that she is a realistic and believable character with bills, self-esteem issues, and family interferences (which are postive and negative events) that make her all the more likeable. I could not wait for reading opportunities to present themselves so that I could get back to Lucy and her world.

How would things been different with Sean, if Lucy had been honest from the beginning?

Lucy being honest with Sean from the beginning would have created a professional relationship that might not have been conducive to a budding love interest. I'm not saying it could not have eventually evolved; I just feel that the buildup of tension as it appears now would have been negatively impacted because there would not be the same mysterious allure about Lucy that is present with him being oblivious to the truth.

The tension created by the mystery makes the tension of Lucy's attraction to Sean that much more powerful and infectious because I wondered the entire time how Sean woudl take the truth. Would he shun Lucy, who is already distraught about being attracted to him in the first place, and destroy her heart (fulfilling the curse of Valentine relationships)? That was a very plausible consideration because of her deception with him regarding the truth of her situation and circumstance.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

First, I would tell them how much I enjoyed it. Then I would tell the reader that if they would like to read a book with delightful characters, characters they would love to meet in real life, they should read this book. I would tell them to pick it up, sit themselves down and simply enjoy a charming read. I think I might also tell them it would be a gift that keeps on giving since there will be sequels! 

How would things been different with Sean, if Lucy had been honest from the beginning?

I don't think things would have been different. I think they were fated...it was kismet.

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

I would describe Truly Madly as funny, romantic, and suspenseful.  A light hearted story that keeps the reader interested with alternating doses of romance and mystery. 

I think Sean may have written Lucy off and refused to help her at all if she had been honest with him from the beginning.  I think she did the right thing  by not 'telling it all." 

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Contributor
Buffie24
0 Kudos

I absolutely loved the book.  I was immediately drawn in by the possible love connection between Lucy and Sean.  There was so much attraction there.  And just wanting to know about the murder and finding the little boy....so much intrigue.

I think if Lucy had been up-front with Sean, things would have not been the same.  He might not have been so inclined to help.  Or worse yet, he might not have believed Lucy.

Inspired Contributor
BooksRPam
0 Kudos

I would describe TRULY, MADLY as a light, easy read, a book that doesn't expect too many deep thoughts from the reader to understand.  It's easy to lay it down and pick it back up later and still remember what's going on.  Definitely an escapist, fluff romance, but there's nothing wrong with that.  I thought the heroine was funny and full of life, and I enjoyed the read as it moved through the mystery.

As for Sean, I agree with everyone one else in these posts that it would have been easier if he would have had a clue what was going on earlier, but then I guess part of the friction in the book would have been lost.

Pam
Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

I'm having so much fun reading what everyone thinks. This is a very hard book to describe and yet you all have done it so well! I'm impressed.

I'm just going to pull out a few bits:

As for Deeply, Desperately: It will be out in August--just around the corner. And those of you who wanted more of Sean's ex, you're in luck. Lucy's on the case with the MSP, trying to find a missing mom, and for Lost Loves, she's trying to find the lost love of a WWII vet (I LOVE this storyline). Also, Preston Bailey is baaaack and she knows a BIG Valentine secret. Not sure when it will be available for preorder, but if you go to my website and sign up for my newsletter, you'll get the info as soon as I have it!

For thewanderingjew who mentioned that Sean and Lucy were fated, kismet, you're on to something...

Paul mentioned reviews--please! If you liked the book, I'd love for you to put a review on the page where people buy the book. The one-star reviews there are a little painful, I have to admit.

Writing as Heather Webber:
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY ~ February 2011
Writing as Heather Blake:
IT TAKES A WITCH ~ January 2012
My blog: www.booksbyheather.net
www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Frequent Contributor
cmmn
0 Kudos

Good morning. 

I would describe this book as a wonderful mystery with intriguing paranormal threads and just the right touch of romance.  What a great Holiday treat at this busy time of the year.  I can't wait for the next book.

Contributor
gdawson
0 Kudos

I love seeing the consensus on this book.  Just about everyone describes Truly, Madly as "fun" and "quick."  I completely agree!  Now if only we could have such a consensus on health care issues or the war in Iraq.  :smileywink:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I'm late to the discussion, I had to take off work yesterday to buy a new gas range, mine blew up Saturday while holiday baking.

Now to answer the questions:

I would describe this book - A funny romantic read with memorable characters, a paranormal twist for the story line, wonderful flowing dialogue and sensual love scenes. The book makes me yearn for the next one in the series.

I thinks if Lucy would have confided in Sean from the beginning it would have made the read unbelievable. I mean she just met him, yes he set off sparks and yes from the visions she knew they would continue the relationship, but how much can you really confide to a stranger. Plus she didn't want him to not believe her so by waiting until he got to know her better I think it made it better for the story as a whole.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Great summation of the story, everyone! I too think that this was more mystery than romance, though the developing love story between Sean and Lucy is so darn appealing I can't wait to read more! I also love that he's not classicly handsome.

And what great friends Lucy has!

Here are my discussion questions for the day!

If TRULY, MADLY were told from Sean's perspective, how do you think the story would change? Would Sean tell the same story?

Did your view of Rachel change after you read the whole book? Did you blame Elena for the person Rachel became?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

AIRKNITTER wrote:

Truly, Madly is about as good as an expensive piece of dark chocolate. The book stays in your heart and not on your hips.

Wow great comparison. I love it!! And I agree

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

If TRULY, MADLY were told from Sean's perspective, how do you think the story would change? Would Sean tell the same story? 

I definitely think that the story would be changed and I don't think that the tension and mystery would be there.  I think that the interaction with some of the characters like Dovie and Lucy's friends would be there but we would of met more of Sean's friends

Did your view of Rachel change after you read the whole book? Did you blame Elena for the person Rachel became?

As far as an opion of Rachel before she was found I hadn't formed one but I tend to think that they both had some blame with how things turned out with Rachel.  I am just glad that Jennifer is going to get a second chance at a HEA to her love story and that she can come out of hiding.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Contributor
nikkinizzle
0 Kudos

- It's a very light and fun read, blending the romance with mystery, and a sassy protagonist leading the way. All the characters are enjoyable and give the book that comfortable feeling - like you know you'd get along well with them if they were real. Truly, Madly is one of those books you pick up when you need something that won't weigh you down and provides some humor to the reading experience.

- Well, in all honesty, had Sean found out about her ability BEFORE the skeleton incident, I'm not sure he would have believed her. But seeing it unfold before his eyes...well, there just wasn't any other explanation. Plus, I highly doubt he would have been down with digging up a skeleton. Creeeepy.

Contributor
nikkinizzle
0 Kudos

- Nope, I don't believe we would have had the same story had the perspective been changed. We wouldn't have seen first hand what Lucy's ability was like in her head and we definitely wouldn't have had the pleasure of reading the interactions between her eccentric family. I doubt the tension would have been there, at least the uncertainty and reason why Lucy has second thoughts about taking the leap of looooove. Plus, who could forget about the Little Boy Lost! We would have missed out on Lucy's journey to finding Max.

Had the story been in Sean's perspective, I'm sure the story would have delved more into the world of investigations, along with his feelings about his ex-fiancee and his feelings for Lucy.

- I felt sorry for her. Even after she went all "crazy-psycho killer" on Lucy. As for the question, Do I blame Elena...I would say yes and no. Rachel is responsible for herself, and Elena's part in her life was only half the cause. Everyone has a say in their own lives and the option to change. Only Rachel waited until after she killed her friend to make that change. Eventually, it's going to catch up to you.

HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

I think the story would have been similar, but we would hear the story from a different point of view. We would have known Sean better than we do and would have known less of Lucy. I think the story would have been harder to tell from Sean's point of view.

My view of Rachel did not change. I knew she was not entirely a bad person because she eventually told the truth about what she and Elena did. That told me she had been a follower, up until she made a stand. I thought she was stupid to take Elena's identity. She could have told the police what happened, claimed self defense and took the credit of changing her life instead of making people think Elena did a 180. It would not have added much to the story line but it would have allowed her to live her life with her family and to continue doing all the good she was doing with her job. 

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

In that I don't think any two people see the same incident in the same way, I'm sure that Sean's story would be very different.  In the first place, it would be told from Sean's viewpoint and Sean's experiences.  Also, I think we would get a whole new perspective on Lucy's physic ability.

If Rachel had never become friends with Elena, Rachel would be a different person. For that matter, if Elena had never met Rachel she might have turned into a whole different person.  I don't blame Elena because there were as many good, kind people in Rachel's life and yet she chose the path that Elena was taking.

Contributor
TamCG
0 Kudos

Hi!

I would describe the book as a fun read with a perfect amount of mystery to continually keep you wanting to turn the pages. 

Honestly I don't think too many things would have been too different if Lucy was honest.  I belive Sean may have just given her a crazy look but he would still have been totally into Lucy.  He's just that type of dude.  He was also in a situation where he was looking for something different in his life and Lucy was the perfect match for that (whether he thought she was crazy or not).  The only thing that may have been different would have been some of the moments of tension created by them not knowing everything about each other.  I did enjoy those moments so if she was honest from the beginning some of those I feel would have been missed. 

~ Tammy