Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: General Discussion

pen21 wrote:

I wasn't thinking of the curse only following the bloodline. It makes sense as I read it here.

Now I can go off and think of my speculations again with this new tidbit.

Thank You.

Heather-Webber wrote:smileyfrustrated:omething to remember, too, is that Lucy's mom and Dovie aren't cursed. Only bloodline Valentines. They are slightly (okay, completely) commitment phobic, though! It's amazing Lucy let Sean into her little world at all. LOL.

Even though Lucy's mom and Dovie aren't cursed, they are still married to "cursed" people so they are cursed by association.  Considering Dovie's characteristics, even if she were a bloodline Valentine, I think she would give the curse a whole new meaning.  That might be a good "4th" book.  Dovie finds out through Ancestry.com that she is a long lost Valentine 4 or 5 generations removed.  We don't want any type of incest here.

Frequent Contributor
sylvia387
0 Kudos

Having completed the book AND all my holiday shopping, I am finally able to post on the last day of talks!

I believe TRULY, MADLY is the perfect cruise ship read.  You know the one....every chair on the deck has a copy. 

Chapters are complete, introducing characters at an easily understandable and relatable pace. The last page of each chapter contains enough foreshadowing to keep you curious and continuing on.

It might have been helpful to include a listing of aura traits in a "glossary" format.  Just for fun. As the aura trait is not the gift of our main character, it would just have been an added feature and educational info.

I am personally concerned with two elements of the story.  #1 The number of people who have access to her cottage.  She comes home on separate occassions to find a dinner party in her dining area, a foster pet on her dresser, and a friend asleep in her bed.  #2  The one and only occassion where she curses.  I'm not sure why that dialogue was even necessary in the story.  Unlike Sean..I didn't find it appealing.

I think the life long friendships should play into future storylines.  There are always great "childhood" memories and private jokes that continue through our lives together.  No exception for her.  It would show us a side of her that influenced her adult behaviors.

The "mystery" portion of this book seemed secondhand to me.  The relationships and challenges of such seemed to take the forefront for me.  So apparently the Romance Genre is the correct spot to have placed this board.

Sylvia

No expectations..No disappointments
Contributor
LKD_726
0 Kudos

I loved Truly, Madly and can't wait for more of Lucy's adventures.  I enjoyed the various elements of romance, mystery, humor and a little woo woo.  Great mix of characters that were interesting from beginning to end.  Loved the chemistry between Sean and Lucy.  I liked that she didn't let Sean in on her abilities too soon.  The storyline moved along at a good pace and kept me coming back for more.  This book made me laugh out loud many times and it put a smile on my face. 

Contributor
The_Book_Queen
0 Kudos

Questions:

How would you describe this book to prospective readers? 

How would things been different with Sean, if Lucy had been honest from the beginning?

Answers:

I'd describe Truly, Madly as a light,but charming, paranormal chick-lit. Mysterious, witty at times, and sweet during others. A perfect book to read when you want something quick, enjoyable, but not too heavy. Also perfect during the month of Feb.., its debut.

If Lucy had been honest from the beginning... Well, no doubt about it, things would have been very different. I'd like to believe that Sean would have accepted everything quicker, and been more than happy to help and move on with their relationship. But honestly, you just never know. Though it may seem like something small, during a relationship, even the smallest things can affect things a lot-- for the good or bad. However, the way it worked out in the book was fine, pretty much believable, and I have no problems with it.

Enjoy!

TBQ

http://tbqspersonalbookpalace.blogspot.com

Contributor
The_Book_Queen
0 Kudos

If TRULY, MADLY were told from Sean's perspective, how do you think the story would change? Would Sean tell the same story?

To be quite honest, if the story had been told by Sean's perspective, the whole story would have been drastically different. And not necessarily in a good way.... Although he is a nice character, there wasn't enough there to carry the same story-- we wouldn't have gotten the little bit of  Valentine family history information, and we would have been even more in the dark as far as the progressing story line. Lucy at least had an inclination about what was going on, what they were searching for, while Sean doesn't know till the last possible moment. Maybe having him tell part of the story (preferably, more of his past....) would have been okay, but not the whole story, no.

Did your view of Rachel change after you read the whole book? Did you blame Elena for the person Rachel became?

Yes! I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting it to be her... I mean, I had a bit of a question about her "180 degree change"  but I wasn't thinking of that. I would have to say that yes, Elena was a great part of the reason for her change, but Rachel was also partly to blame. Whether it was a mental illness of some sort and degree that helped her to change so drastically, or some other internal reasoning, she could have prevented all this from happening. I understand they were friends, but really, she didn't have to stay with Elena, knowing how she acted.

Enjoy!

TBQ

Contributor
The_Book_Queen
0 Kudos

If you could build a business on one paranormal power what would the talent be and what kind of business would you build? What color do you think your Aura would be? Why?

Hmm... Hard to choose just one paranormal power, little loan work it around a business! I guess I'd want something similar to Lucy's though--- being able to find lost items would be pretty handy sometimes! As for my aura, I'd like to say something cool like silver, but it would probably be more common like blue... Honestly, I just like both colors, no real reason behind why I picked them. :smileyhappy:

So, Em: what did you think about her? She is a successful doctor yet she feels trapped in her life and her career. What advice would you have given her? Em and Lucy are very different people yet they connect so well. Why do you think this is?

I have to say, Em seemed like a very believable character-- I'm sure many of us have felt like that during some point in our life. And honestly, I'd like to read more about her, and what her future will hold (both in life and in love.) I would have told her that she needs to follow her heart, and forget what others are expecting of her, just go for what makes her happy. I think the reason they connect so well is because of the fact that they are so different. We always say to go for the person that shares your own interests, and while this is true to a point, who wants to do, say, and think the same exact things over and over again? Change is the spice of life, and all that good stuff. Plus, they have a strong connection to each other, from being friends for so long, I'm sure.

Michael never really got over Jennifer and despite their past they seem to have wanted to reconnect in the end. Do you think things can work out between them? Why?

I want to believe that, yes, they can work it out between them. Who doesn't want to hear the happily ever after, right? But really, it can only work if they both put the effort in to do so. If they don't take an active part in the mending of the relationship, it will never happen. But if they try to either accept what happened in the past or simply move on and start over completely, it's highly possibly they could stay together.

Enjoy!

TBQ

Contributor
The_Book_Queen
0 Kudos

I just loved all the characters in Lucy's support system. What did you think of them? Who were your favorite Lucy friends?

I liked some of them more than others, of course, but I can't say I had an outright favorite.... Okay, maybe I do. I would have to say Em, because she seemed like the most realistic, troubled character, one that I could relate to at times.

How is Raphael like a father to Lucy?

He's there to help, he jokes around with her, but in the end, it all comes down to protecting her as best as he can. Maybe a bit of a substitute, or at least a help, for the womanizer father she really has?

Dovie loves to meddle in Lucy’s life. Does she remind you of someone in your own life? How? 

Honestly, not really. I've been lucky so far, I guess, I don't have any eclectic family members/friends that like to push into my life too much. :smileyhappy:

What do you think of Lucy’s father, Oscar, and her mother Judie’s relationship? Do you like Oscar in spite of his womanizing? Do you understand Judie’s forgiveness of Oscar’s dalliances?

Their relationship is a bit... tangled, to say the least. Although I have to knock points off of his character for being such a womanzier, I can't say that it makes me hate him. I just think he needs to grow up, really, and realize that even if the curse is suppose to ruin his chance at love, this doesn't mean he should replace it with shallow one night (week, month, doesn't matter) stands. I can't say that I understand her forgiving his dalliances, but I can see how it would be an awkward and difficult position she has, being married to him, suppose to be in love for society's eyes, but in reality they can't even live together.

Enjoy!

TBQ

Contributor
The_Book_Queen
0 Kudos

What did you think of the "Valentine curse?" Lucy has lived with it all her life, how do you think this affected her childhood? How has Lucy’s experience with the curse and her parent’s relationship colored her relationship history and future relationships?

If the curse is real (which I'm sure it is, as far as the book theme goes), then I would have preferred a bit more information on it-- I love curses and background history in general!

Between the knowledge of the curse hanging over her head, and watching her parents and grandparent's relationships go opposite directions, this would have altered Lucy's way of looking at love. She'd become more guarded (as we see) and make her believe whole-heartedly that she can never fall for anyone, so why even try.

Enjoy!

TBQ