Distinguished Correspondent
coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: General Discussion

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I loved Lucy's parents' relationship in the book. It was unconventional yet loving and I totally bought it. What did you think of the "Valentine curse?" Lucy has lived with it all her life, how do you think this affected her childhood? How has Lucy’s experience with the curse and her parent’s relationship colored her relationship history and future relationships?

Like some of the other posts, I kind of got frustrated with Lucy and felt like she used the Valentine Curse as an excuse not to let Sean get to know her right away.  She became afraid of what her heart was feeling. She kept reminding herself that failure in relationships is her destiny. 

I would not expect that the Valentine Curse affected her childhood directly; maybe indirectly because of her parents and grandparents.  Probably affects her relationships more now as an adult than as a child.

I think Lucy allows the curse to continue by thinking that relationship failure is inevitable.  Like others stated, it is like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
Frequent Contributor
Re76
0 Kudos

Excellent point PiperMurphy in regards to the parents being out of touch, but possibly being aware....

Frequent Contributor
Re76
0 Kudos

As far as Lucy's support system...I think they all had their roles. My favorite to read about had to be Dovie. It was always interesting to see what she was going to do. Raphael seemed to have that "fatherly" type relationship with Lucy giving her guidance throughout the book. Dovie, was a hoot...thank goodness I do not have anyone in my life that is like that. But she sure brightens up the storyline, the character in the book that you are never sure what she is going to do.

In regards to the parents, not sure about the relationship that they have, it seems to work for them. It will be interesting in future books if their relationship is further developed.

Frequent Contributor
Re76
0 Kudos

Ebony Angel,

thanks for all the information about Aura's.

RB

dhaupt
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Dear Dhaupt:

I would like to be your second customer and you wouldn't have to work very hard because your first customer lives in NYC, I live in Central NJ so we have the same weather.  My request would be (1) no snow/ice, (2) no windy days, (3) rain only during the night when we are sleeping and (4) change of seasons are okay as long as there are no real extremes.  When do you hang up your shingle?

I'll let everyone know where and when.  :womanvery-happy:

I'm happy to be of service and of course for B&N members there's a substantial discount.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Great comments about the curse, folks. I think the idea of the curse as self-fulfilling prophecy is compelling, and it is interesting that neither Dovie nor her parents mention it or seem bothered by it. It'll be interesting to see how the curse comes to bear on the storylines of the next books.

My question of the day:

While her mother and father are absent, how does Lucy surround herself with an unconventional “family” made up of various people in her life?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Great comments about the curse, folks. I think the idea of the curse as self-fulfilling prophecy is compelling, and it is interesting that neither Dovie nor her parents mention it or seem bothered by it. It'll be interesting to see how the curse comes to bear on the storylines of the next books.

My question of the day:

While her mother and father are absent, how does Lucy surround herself with an unconventional “family” made up of various people in her life?

Great question Melanie: -

Well even when her parents are around Lucy surrounds herself with surrogate family, she has Raphael as father figure and I think she sees Dovie as a second mother and of course her friends are like sisters.

And what I think is really great is that her actual parents don't feel left out at all because of it. I think the whole group she sees as family actually becomes stronger as a unit because of it.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:

My question of the day:

Great question Melanie: -

Well even when her parents are around Lucy surrounds herself with surrogate family, she has Raphael as father figure and I think she sees Dovie as a second mother and of course her friends are like sisters.

And what I think is really great is that her actual parents don't feel left out at all because of it. I think the whole group she sees as family actually becomes stronger as a unit because of it.

Dovie,Raphael,Em,Marisol.Suz..when  can locate her!!!!..And now Sean is also part of the mix...If everyone recalls,Lucy is quite independent..She loves being surrounded by "Her Family"of many,but also can function well alone,if need be....Vtc..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

emperatrix wrote:

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I loved Lucy's parents' relationship in the book. It was unconventional yet loving and I totally bought it. What did you think of the "Valentine curse?" Lucy has lived with it all her life, how do you think this affected her childhood? How has Lucy’s experience with the curse and her parent’s relationship colored her relationship history and future relationships?

I wonder if the curse is a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy? Do the Valentines believe true love is impossible for them because this idea has been so ingrained in the family history that they mess up their own relationships? I think the idea may have some bearing in the relationship between Lucy's parents. They almost seem a happy couple, despite their separation.

I think we see something of this in Lucy's initial reaction to Sean. She believes she's cursed and that it will never work out, but it seems to be working just fine from the reader's perspective.

I tend to agree with you about the curse being so ingrained in them that they Valentines couldn't believe they could have a happy and fulfilling relationship with anyone.  Judy and Oscar seem content together, a parallel existence, with some fringe benefits.  Lucy is very hesitant with Sean.  His recent breakup with his girlfriend works in her favor here as Sean is somewhat cautious at the beginning.   Lucy learned to trust him.  Plus, the constant images of her and Sean together started to give her the confidence she needed in this relationship.  Sean was easygoing and didn't put any pressure on her.  As long as Lucy looked at their relationship as a professional one, she was okay with him.  Buit then she realized that it was more than just professional.  The more she accepted Sean and trusted him, the more she could start letting her guard down.  By the end of the book she had started to believe in herself and with this new found confidence in herself, she didn't feel like the black sheep of love matching any more, for the agency and personally for herself.

When you grow up constantly hearing something negative, you believe it.  In this case, it was the curse and it not only affected her relationships with men but also her career(s).  She had so many different jobs before taking over the agency.  Dental hygienst, Starbucks, personal assistant, day care worker.  She just didn't know what she was capable of doing or wanting to do.  But once she started feeling good about herself and her relationship with Sean, then everything started to fall into place for her.  Even the curse was starting to disappear out of her life.  At the end she agreed to work with Aiden and the Massachusettes State Police missing persons.   She knew she could handle the job and she knew she would derive a sense of satisfaction from solving cases.

Frequent Contributor
mediamissy
0 Kudos

How would you describe this book to prospective readers?

A great read with well developed characters and an engrossing mystery and a hint of mystery.  For readers who enjoy both being held in suspense and warmed by the joys of the human spirit.

How would things been different with Sean, if Lucy had been honest from the beginning?

I wasn't shocked with Lucy not being completely honest with Sean at  first, I could see why she would want to protect a secret like that.  You never know who to trust these days. He was new to the circle.  I was more surprised that she wasn't more up front with the police and the parents of the missing boy.  At least that's what I thought when I read the description of agony on the mother's face.

However, as the story continued I think I could somewhat understand the hesitation and yet I thought going out to the scene of the search instead of going to a police station was odd.  With the number of reporters on the case (including the nosy reporter who was at her place of work) it seemed to me like that would be Lucy's least likely choice.

Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Great comments about the curse, folks. I think the idea of the curse as self-fulfilling prophecy is compelling, and it is interesting that neither Dovie nor her parents mention it or seem bothered by it. It'll be interesting to see how the curse comes to bear on the storyline of the next books.

Something to remember, too, is that Lucy's mom and Dovie aren't cursed. Only bloodline Valentines. They are slightly (okay, completely) commitment phobic, though! It's amazing Lucy let Sean into her little world at all. LOL.

Writing as Heather Webber:
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY ~ February 2011
Writing as Heather Blake:
IT TAKES A WITCH ~ January 2012
My blog: www.booksbyheather.net
www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I wasn't thinking of the curse only following the bloodline. It makes sense as I read it here.

Now I can go off and think of my speculations again with this new tidbit.

Thank You.

Heather-Webber wrote:smileyfrustrated:omething to remember, too, is that Lucy's mom and Dovie aren't cursed. Only bloodline Valentines. They are slightly (okay, completely) commitment phobic, though! It's amazing Lucy let Sean into her little world at all. LOL.

Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

I don't think that Lucy surrounds herself with other family members or friends to any greater extent when her parents are away than when they are around.  She seems to be very close to this group of people.  As a matter of fact she seems to be constantly in the companionship of family, friend, date or disabled pet.  Does this girl not need "me" time?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

I wasn't thinking of the curse only following the bloodline. It makes sense as I read it here.

Now I can go off and think of my speculations again with this new tidbit.

Thank You.

Heather-Webber wrote:smileyfrustrated:omething to remember, too, is that Lucy's mom and Dovie aren't cursed. Only bloodline Valentines. They are slightly (okay, completely) commitment phobic, though! It's amazing Lucy let Sean into her little world at all. LOL.

I agree pen21,the bloodline is the key,I just can't get this out of my head."Who is Lucy's sibling? Will he/she be revealed in book #2..Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

My question of the day:

Oscar and Judith are both older and lead very loose lives.  We are never told in great detail what went on in their lives prior to Oscar's heart attack, just some information about Lucy.  Since Oscar inherited the family business and as long as he made matches successfully, they had a livelihood they could count on and that enabled them to live their lives as they sort fit.  It seems that they were more custodial than supportive parents to Lucy even though she considered them both to be great parents.  Raphael was Lucy's foundation and support system.  He cared about her like a father should and she knew she could always rely on him.  They had their own pet names for each other, which I did find a little strange.  Raphael always told her "to believe in yourself and what you're saying and others will believe you too".  It seemed like Dovie should have been Lucy's mother, at least there was concern and dialog between them.  Dovie could be a little overbearing at times but I think she always did it out of concern and love for Lucy.  I would like to see Dovie's character expounded upon in the upcoming sequels. Marisol, Em and Lucy were very tight with each other and each other's support system.  Their work all kept them very busy but when in need, they were each there for each other.

Contributor
gotjack28
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I was very pleased with the relationship between Lucy's parents. I liked that they were mutually separated but were still there for one another and that they were able to be upfront and joke about the "scandal". 

I think the "Valentine Curse" is completely self-fulfilling. Although the Valentine bloodline may be comprised of commitment-phobes, I think that Lucy will be able to break away from this and find her own happiness.  

It would be safe to say that Lucy does not put much faith in relationships because of what she has been surrounded by. Her parents separated; her grand parents divorced... there aren't relationships that she can't put stock in. Because of this I think Lucy has and will always expect things to turn sour. She'll be waiting (hence self-fulfilling) for things to fall apart. 

Contributor
gotjack28
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

My question of the day:

To me it was apparent that Lucy and her mother are very close, almost to the point where she needed to be coddled and told that she was doing the right thing, etc. With the absence of her parents Lucy was forced to rely on mainly on herself and Sean. I think all of the characters played an important role in Lucy discovering that she was able to go through this situation on her own be successful. 

Contributor
emperatrix
0 Kudos

Bonnie_C wrote:

I don't think that Lucy surrounds herself with other family members or friends to any greater extent when her parents are away than when they are around.  She seems to be very close to this group of people.  As a matter of fact she seems to be constantly in the companionship of family, friend, date or disabled pet.  Does this girl not need "me" time?

I agree, it seemed to me that her friends and family sought her rather than the other way round. Em, Marisol, Dovie, they all turned to her. Perhaps her family and friends automatically seek her in an effort to provide companionship and comfort, but it does seem like she definitely needs some "me" time.

Gricel

things-she-read.org
Reader 4
ambair51
0 Kudos

i think Lucy wants to be accepted as herself.  She doesn't want peiople to like her only for her "gift" and what they can get from her.  She has a great group of people around her and hopefully her family will help her navigate thru the pitfalls.

coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

Lucy does seem to have Dovie and Raphael close by most of the time; one is driving her around and one is driving her crazy....just like parents!  Dovie walking in on Lucy and Sean made me laugh and reminded me of something "parents" do.   Lucy's friend Em seems to feel comfortable enough to crash at her house, even when she isn't there which makes me think that they have a very sisterly relationship. 

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman