Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
emperatrix
0 Kudos

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: General Discussion

[ Edited ]

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I just loved all the characters in Lucy's support system. What did you think of them? Who were your favorite Lucy friends?

How is Raphael like a father to Lucy?

Dovie loves to meddle in Lucy’s life. Does she remind you of someone in your own life? How? 

What do you think of Lucy’s father, Oscar, and her mother Judie’s relationship? Do you like Oscar in spite of his womanizing? Do you understand Judie’s forgiveness of Oscar’s dalliances?

I loved Marisol, though I'm not sure I would appreciate random pets being dropped off at my apartment without a moment's notice. She seems very much in control of her own situation and probably provides a sense of balance for Lucy and Em.

I would describe Raphael more as a doting grandfather, he's stern but sweet. He cares for Lucy but challenges her to take herself seriously.

I can't say that Dovie reminds me of anyone in my life, but she reminds me of the classic cozy sleuth. She seems to know more than she lets on.

Judie and Oscar seem to have a functioning though non-conventional relationship. Both of them seem to be enjoying the part they play too much to take each other too seriously.

Gricel

things-she-read.org
Frequent Contributor
jbg78
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I really enjoyed Raphael.  I think that he has always been the steady person in Lucy's life.  Heaven knows that with all the dysfunctional/crazy people that have surrounded Lucy, she needs a steady person.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb~
Distinguished Correspondent
coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

Michael never really got over Jennifer and despite their past they seem to have wanted to reconnect in the end. Do you think things can work out between them? Why?

I guess the romantic side of me wants their relationship to work out.   You know, happily ever after...... 

I think it would be realistic to say that the relationship could work, it seemed that they still had feelings after all the time apart and since they were now free of interference from others, just maybe they will be able to work things out. 

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

I just loved all the characters in Lucy's support system. What did you think of them? Who were your favorite Lucy friends?

I really liked Raphael; I know he isn't really Lucy's contemporary, but I find that an older friend is usually so helpful in life.  Kind of like a mentor to get you thru the times you don't know how to navigate on your own.

Well, like I mentioned in the previous question, Raphael has the advantage of years.  I feel the perspective on life changes based on where you are in your journey.  I could see a real calm approach to Lucy and the situations she found herself in.  It seemed to me that Lucy's parent's didn't seem to have that same kind of approach. 

Dovie loves to meddle in Lucy’s life. Does she remind you of someone in your own life? How?

No, I must say that I don't have anyone in my life like Dovie.  My grandparents have long since passed and it seems to me a person would more tolerant of interference from Grandparents than Parents. 

What do you think of Lucy’s father, Oscar, and her mother Judie’s relationship? Do you like Oscar in spite of his womanizing? Do you understand Judie’s forgiveness of Oscar’s dalliances?

I was not much of a fan of the parents.  Personally I am not crazy about Oscar and his wandering ways nor of Judie's tolerance.   Since the characters will likely be more developed in the next book, maybe his character will show more redeeming qualities, but right now, I am not of fan of either one of them.

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Good morning, all!

If you could build a business on one paranormal power what would the talent be and what kind of business would you build? 

What color do you think your Aura would be? Why?

Looked up some colors and hopefully mine would be blue.

AURA COLOR MEANINGS

RED AURA COLOR: Relates to the physical body, hart or circulation. The densest color, it creates the most friction. Friction attracts or repels; money worries or obsessions; anger or unforgiveness; anxiety or nervousness

Deep Red: Grounded, realistic, active, strong will-power, survival-oriented.

Muddied red: Anger (repelling)

Clear red: Powerful, energetic, competitive, sexual, passionate

Pink-bright and light: Loving, tender, sensitive, sensual, artistic, affection, purity, compassion; new or revieved romantic relationship. Can indicate clairaudience.

Dark and murky pink: Immature and/or dishonest nature

Orange Red: Confidence, creative power

In a good, bright and pure state, red energy can serve as a healthy ego.

ORANGE AURA COLOR: Relates to reproductive organs and emotions. The color of vitality, vigor, good health and excitement. Lots of energy and stamina, creative, productive, adventurous, courageous, outgoing social nature; currently experiencing stress related to apetites and addictions;

Orange-Yellow: Creative, intelligent, detail oriented, perfectionist, scientific.

YELLOW AURA COLOR: Relates to the spleen and life energy. It is the color of awakening, inspiration, intelligence and action shared, creative, playful, optimistic, easy-going.

Light or pale yellow: Emerging psychic and spiritual awareness; optimism and hopefulness; positive excitement about new ideas.

Bright lemon-yellow: Struggling to maintain power and control in a personal or business relationship; fear of losing control, prestige, respect, and/or power.

Clear gold metallic, shiny and bright: Spiritual energy and power activated and awakened; an inspired person.

Dark brownish yellow or gold: A student, or one who is straining at studying; overly analitical to the point of feeling fatigued or stressed; trying to make up for "lost time" by learning everything all at once.

GREEN AURA COLOR: Relates to heart and lungs. It is a very comfortable, healthy color of nature. When seen in the aura this usually represents growth and balance, and most of all, something that leads to change. Love of people, animals, nature; teacher; social

Bright emerald green: A healer, also a love-centered person

Yellow-Green: Creative with heart, communicative

Dark or muddy forest green: Jealousy, resentment, feeling like a victim of the world; blaming self or others; insecurity and low self-esteem; lack of understanding personal responsibility; sensitive to perceived criticism

Turquoise: Relates to the immune system. Sensitive, compassionate, healer, therapist.

BLU AURA COLOR: Relates to the throat, thyroid. Cool, calm, and collected. Caring, loving, love to help others, sensitive, intuitive.

Soft blue: Peacefulness, clarity and communication; truthful; intuitive

Bright royal blue: Clairvoyant; highly spiritual nature; generous; on the right path; new opportunities are coming

Dark or muddy blue: Fear of the future; fear of self-expression; fear of facing or speaking the truth

INDIGO AURA COLOR: Relates to the third eye, visual and pituitary gland. Intuitive, sensitive, deep feeling.

VIOLET AURA COLOR: Relates to crown, pineal gland and nervous system. The most sensitive and wisest of colors. This is the intuitive color in the aura, and reveals psychic power of attunement with self. Intuitive, visionary, futuristic, idealistic, artistic, magical.

LAVENDER AURA COLOR: Imagination, visionary, daydreamer, etheric.

SILVER AURA COLOR: This is the color of abundance, both spiritual and physical. Lots of bright silver can reflect to plenty of money, and/or awakening of the cosmic mind.

Bright metallic silver: Receptive to new ideas; intuitive; nurturing

Dark and muddy gray: Residue of fear is accumulating in the body, with a potential for health problems, especially if gray clusters seen in specific areas of the body

GOLD AURA COLOR: The color of enlightenment and divine protection. When seen within the aura, it says that the person is being guided by their highest good. It is divine guidance. Protection, wisdom, inner knowledge, spiritual mind, intuitive thinker.

BLACK AURA COLOR: Draws or pulls energy to it and in so doing, transforms it. It captures light and consumes it. Usually indicates long-term unforgiveness (toward others or another) collected in a specific area of the body, which can lead to health problems; also, entitities within a person's aura, chakras, or body; past life hurts; unreleased grief from abortions if it appears in the ovaries

WHITE AURA COLOR: Reflects other energy. A pure state of light. Often represents a new, not yet designated energy in the aura. Spiritual, etheric and non-physical qualities, transcendent, higher dimensions. Purity and truth; angelic qualities.

White sparkles or flashes of white light: angels are nearby; can indicate that the person is pregnant or will be soon

EARTH AURA COLORS: Soil, wood, mineral, plant. These colors display a love of the Earth, of being grounded and is seen in those who live and work on the outdoors....construction, farming, etc. These colors are important and are a good sign.

RAINBOWS: Rainbow-colored stripes, sticking out like sunbeams from the hand, head or body: A Reiki healer, or a starperson (someone who is in the first incarnation on Earth)

PASTELS: A sensitive blend of light and color, more so than basic colors. Shows sensitivity and a need for serenity.

DIRTY BROWN OVERLAY: Holding on to energies. Insecurity.

DIRTY GRAY OVERLY: Blocking energies. Guardedness.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thank you EbonyAngel for all your work...very enlightening,will be so useful here and also to share..Best to you...Vtc Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Heather-Webber
0 Kudos

I was wondering when Raphael would come up. I absolutely adore his character. Just love him, as does Lucy!

And again, I love reading everyone's comments, seeing the story through your eyes. In fact, it's given me some ideas for future books!

As a reminder, I am taking questions all week over on the "Hello From" board...

Writing as Heather Webber:
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY ~ February 2011
Writing as Heather Blake:
IT TAKES A WITCH ~ January 2012
My blog: www.booksbyheather.net
www.cozychicksblog.com
www.killercharacters.com
www.thenakedhero.com
Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

I loved Lucy's parents' relationship in the book. It was unconventional yet loving and I totally bought it. What did you think of the "Valentine curse?" Lucy has lived with it all her life, how do you think this affected her childhood? How has Lucy’s experience with the curse and her parent’s relationship colored her relationship history and future relationships?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I loved Lully's parents' relationship in the book. It was unconventional yet loving and I totally bought it. What did you think of the "Valentine curse?" Lucy has lived with it all her life, how do you think this affected her childhood? How has Lucy’s experience with the curse and her parent’s relationship colored her relationship history and future relationships?

I totally bought it as well.The missing link for me are all the other relationship(s) that Lucy were involved in.Did she live with anyone?What were her previous relationship(s ) like?Will  we meet any of her previous loves?That could be another twist of Heather's .One of my first questions to Heather was "If Lucy had a sibling",she pleaded the 5th...I love the mystery!!!  One thing I really liked was her "Stress Reliever" mathematics..I assume her childhood was filled with so much love..The "Cupids Curse",will not know until next Book,for me..Vtc

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I liked Raphael the best.  He seemed to truly care about Lucy and it seemed like he would do anything for her.

I thought it a bit strange that Lucy never revealed her "secret" to her lifetime girlfriends. 

Lucy's parents' relationship seemed to be one of convenience and a relationship that remained because of the matchmaking business.  I didn't think that we really got to know either of her parents in any depth - therefore I'm not sure we can understand Judie's forgiveness of Oscar's dalliances.

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I loved that she used mathematics to relieve stress. What a good idea! Everytime that was mentioned in the book, I could do the math with her and relax. That was a good insight into her character for me.

I am glad you brought that up.

pen21

Vermontcozy wrote: One thing I really liked was her "Stress Reliever" mathematics..I assume her childhood was filled with so much love..The "Cupids Curse",will not know until next Book,for me..Vtc

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Truly, Madly was so much fun I have to read all the other books written by Heather Webber. Lucky me, I did find copies of all five "Trouble" books. Now to try and be patient while I wait for the Post to bring them to me.

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Dear Dhaupt:

I would like to be your second customer and you wouldn't have to work very hard because your first customer lives in NYC, I live in Central NJ so we have the same weather.  My request would be (1) no snow/ice, (2) no windy days, (3) rain only during the night when we are sleeping and (4) change of seasons are okay as long as there are no real extremes.  When do you hang up your shingle?

Contributor
emperatrix

Melanie_Murray wrote:

I loved Lucy's parents' relationship in the book. It was unconventional yet loving and I totally bought it. What did you think of the "Valentine curse?" Lucy has lived with it all her life, how do you think this affected her childhood? How has Lucy’s experience with the curse and her parent’s relationship colored her relationship history and future relationships?

I wonder if the curse is a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy? Do the Valentines believe true love is impossible for them because this idea has been so ingrained in the family history that they mess up their own relationships? I think the idea may have some bearing in the relationship between Lucy's parents. They almost seem a happy couple, despite their separation.

I think we see something of this in Lucy's initial reaction to Sean. She believes she's cursed and that it will never work out, but it seems to be working just fine from the reader's perspective.

Gricel

things-she-read.org
Contributor
Tara_Golby

This is one of the things that actually kind of bothered me - I understand that the "curse" hangs on Lucy's mind, but the fact that she wouldn't even attempt a relationship because of the curse was frustrating.  It almost seemed like an excuse.  Although, that makes sense too - avoiding relationships in order to avoid a broken heart.  Every time Lucy would mention the curse I wanted to yell, "just take a chance!" That's what dating is all about.  Plus, her parents actually seem quite happy despite the curse... I'm curious to see if they rekindle their romance in the future.  Maybe a secret affair with each other?
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

I think there is more to the curse than we know right now. Maybe more will be revealed in the next book.

Melanie, I agree with you about Lucy's parents relationship--it seems to work for them--even with a curse.

Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

It's hard enough beginning a new relationship under normal circumstances.  But imagine growing up in a  household where you were indoctrinated with the "Valentine Curse".  That's like already having 2 strikes against you.  That is if you actually believe in the curse.  As independent minded as Lucy is I'm surprised that she doesn't say to heck with the curse and forge straight ahead.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

I loved that she used mathematics to relieve stress. What a good idea! Everytime that was mentioned in the book, I could do the math with her and relax. That was a good insight into her character for me.

I am glad you brought that up.

pen21

Vermontcozy wrote: One thing I really liked was her "Stress Reliever" mathematics..I assume her childhood was filled with so much love..The "Cupids Curse",will not know until next Book,for me..Vtc
Heather really has all the details in place..Being in Retail for a while,my math skills improved greatly.Always in my head,quickly.Lucy is complex..we will find out even more if she starts doing algebra in her head then I am lost..;  ) V

HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

What did you think of the "Valentine curse?"

I thought it was an excuse for Lucy not to date anyone. As I remember it, she was the only one who made a big deal about. 

Lucy has lived with it all her life, how do you think this affected her childhood?

I did not think it affected her childhood much. She had a family and extended family who loved her and accepted her for who she was. The most it did was cause her not to date, much.

How has Lucy’s experience with the curse and her parent’s relationship colored her relationship history and future relationships?

The way I saw it, Lucy felt that the Valentine family was cursed because all the Valentine family members had bad experiences with their relationships. It seemed to me she felt it was a price her family had to pay for the gift they have. The fact that her parents and grandparents relationships broke apart only adds fuel to her curse theory. This causes her to stay away from relationships because she feels like what is the point. I am wondering though if the "curse" is limited to men. I do not remember reading if any of the victims of the curse were born Valentine women. It seems to me that only the women (Dovie and Lucy's mom) who marry the Valentine men experience the curse themselves. Of course I am going off of memory here so I could be wrong.

coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

EbonyAngel-

Thanks for sharing that information!