Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Post Your Review!

Here at last, here at last! Use this thread to post your spoiler-rich reviews of Heather Webber's

Truly, Madly.

Did you like it? Were you more taken by the hint of romance or the hint of mystery? Will you be reading the other books in the series?

Distinguished Correspondent
coffee_luvr

Re: Sneak Peak! TRULY, MADLY: Post Your Review!

I did enjoy this book.  It is not a book I would normally have selected if I was looking for a new read on my own so I am very glad that I participated in this Sneak Peak and exposed myself to another author. 

I was definitely more taken with the hint of mystery than with the romance. I felt the romance was inevitable but the physic ability of Lucy was quite interesting and added another dimension to the mystery.  I thought the way the author developed how Lucy could find lost items and subsequently could assist in finding the lost boy was truly touching.  I found Lucy's  "skill" very interesting and I will definitely seek out the next book in this series.

I frequently read series by authors because I find that the first book is like an investment and you simply must read at least the second in the series to see how the characters are developed and find out if you should invest additional time in those characters.

Also, I loved the meddling Grandmother; I though she was a great addition to the story line! 

Of course now that the relationship with Sean has started, I will be very interested to see how that "partnership" develops, both romantically and professionally.  I think there a several paths the next book can take so I am interested to see where the author takes us in the sequel.

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
Wordsmith
literature

A delightful read.  Normally I don't read either romance or mystery novels, but I've learned that if B&N endorses a book, it is definitely worth reading.  Heather very quickly drew me into the story and the characters immediately became real.  I felt their sorrow, empathized with them and shared their joys.  I can't say that it was the romance of the hint of mystery that did it for me but rather the unique way that Heather blended everything together so naturally.  Even though the book dealt with death (no disrespect meant), I found it to be a happy, "up" book, at times amusing.  Her style of writing put a hex on me from the very beginning and didn't let go.  Oh my goodness, is she a witch?  Oh, but a good witch, of course!

My daughter was visiting over Thanksgiving, read the book in a day and was annoyed that she would have  to wait for the next book to be published to continue the saga.  I would love to be able to read the whole  trilogy in one sitting but then I wouldn't be able to reflect on each book as I finished it.  Yes, I am definitely going to read the other books in the series.

Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman
0 Kudos

Here's my review:

Truly, Madly

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Truly, Madly was a "vacation" for me. I was taken to another place that was most enjoyable and hope to return again, and again.

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I enjoyed reading this book. It was a fun, quick read suitable for any age. I would have to say I was taken by the hint of mystery. I felt let down that the romance scenes only went as far as kissing. If I were to rate the romance scenes by temperature I would say it was on the cool side and I was expecting it to be warm. I will buy the other books in this series because I like the story, and as long as the romance scenes stay on the cool side I can read this series with my oldest daughter.

Contributor
spyderfly

I will agree with an earlier post that this is not a book that I would have normally picked out for myself but I am glad that I had the opportunity to check it out.  I liked the premise and the story moved along nicely - I didn't run into any parts that lagged and found myself wanting to jump ahead to see what happens!  I enjoyed the the characters and think they were developed enough for the story.  I am definitely intrigued enough to check out the next book.

Contributor
BaseballMomma

I very much enjoyed the book! It's one of those books that is just a fun read. Once you start reading you get sucked in, and can't stop because you want to know what's going to happen next. As a stay-at-home mom of two little boys, I don't find much time to read except before I go to bed (which stinks since I love reading), but when I started this book mid-morning one day, I couldn't put it down!

I love reading a series! You get to really know characters, see how their relationships develop with one another, and usually there is always a storyline that leaves you hanging for more. Heather Webber has written a family that is easy to fall in love with, even if they're a little kooky. The scenes where Lucy is with her family are written for laughing out loud, which I did quite a few times. Let's not forget the hottie of the book, Sean. Their developing romance is fun to read because it also involves the developing of Lucy and her powers. While it's difficult to wait for the next book to see what will happen with them, I do enjoy that their relationship is developing slowly. Watching them grow closer and becoming more deeply connected and involved is what will keep a reader like me coming back for more.

I want to give a big thank you to Barnes & Noble for the Sneak Peeks. Because of it I discovered a new author who I really enjoy and can't wait to read more of her books. I look forward to meeting other authors and reading their new books!

Contributor
emperatrix
0 Kudos

When I first heard about Truly, Madly, I thought it sounded like a fun read and it certainly was. I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, but the book was very readable and I didn’t want to put it down! I will definitely be looking for the sequels in future. The characters were charismatic and believable (yes, even with the psychic powers), and the plot was engaging and well-developed.

You can find my full review on my book blog

Gricel

things-she-read.org
Contributor
SoozeSC
0 Kudos

I enjoyed this book- I liked that it had a mix of mystrey to it. I dont go for the overly dramatic romances, this one has a bit of dafffyness to it. Wacky grandma, 3 legged pets,. etc.
I wish Sean & Lucy had more time together---more romance!!
I can;t wait for the next installment of this series-- i like it when there is more to the story that will be revealed in subsequent books. nice overlapping style.

Inspired Contributor
lg4154
0 Kudos

I loved this book and cannot wait for the next one to come out, this book really surprised me.

Contributor
Texan09

I absolutely loved this book....read it twice just to make sure I didn't miss anything! Lucy's character drew me in from the start....I had to know more about the girl that would locate a missing thong swimsuit for her dad! ha ha ha.  The fact that her character is so different, and yet portrayed so normally, sends a very positive message! I also enjoyed the fact that it wasn't overly romantic. The characters seemed so real and honest! Lucy's ability to solve not 1, but 2 cases was a fantastic story-line! I am hooked, and looking forward to Lucy's next adventure! I can't wait to see what happens with the new Lost Loves Division of Valentine, Inc. and how things turn out with Sean and Cupid's Curse! It was a fun and satisfying story, and I'm so glad it's not over!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
Janga

For me, it's always about the characters. I liked the characters in Truly, Madly. I found Lucy and Sean both likeable and the attraction between them credible. I loved the contexts provided for Lucy. The reader knows Lucy more fully because we see her interactions with her parents and grandparents and with her best friends. All of these secondary characters were interesting in their own right, particularly Dovie.

Sean is more of a question mark. My one quibble with the characters was his relationship with his ex-fiance. It seemed to be resolved too quickly and painlessly, but perhaps we will learn more in later books.

I will definitely continue reading the series. Romance is my preferred genre of popular fiction, but I read a lot of mysteries too. The mysteries I like best have a strong romantic element without losing the focus on the mystery. Truly, Madly does a good job of maintaining this balance.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Contributor
Sunrunner36
0 Kudos

If I was a teenager I would have liked the book (I think).  This book jumped around too much, there wasn't much of a plot either.  The men have no depth.   It was a fast read but boring.  There is one typo I found in the book too.

Reader
wings20
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed this book! It  isn't my usual genre I loved the character of Lucy she is funny adn strong. It was a little sad that she didn't feel she was a "true" valentine so It was good to see her develop her gift and  start a buisness under the valentine umbrella. The interactions with her friends and family have a genuine feel to them, Her romantic interest Sean is a little different. I thought there would be a little bit more romance between them, but what interactions they did have were good :smileyhappy: i will definetly pick up the next book to see how it develops.

The stories were tied up well and the action and pace of the book moved well.

Inspired Contributor
blueyedirishgrl
0 Kudos

This was definitely a light, fun, truly enjoyable read.  I finished it in a day and throughly enjoyed it.  I can't wait to read the next book!!

Contributor
tigger27
0 Kudos

I LOVED the book!  I took it to be a little more mystery than romance but that's ok.  I liked the character but thought it to be a little weird that her friends wouldn't have asked about her special talent earlier in her life.  I can't wait to see what the new spin of the Valentine company has with the new talent section.  I will be checking out the next books to see what happens next.  Thanks to B&N I now have a new author to read!

Shelly

Melanie_Murray
0 Kudos

lg4154 wrote:

I loved this book and cannot wait for the next one to come out, this book really surprised me.

How did it surprise you?

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

Hi,

I haven't read this type of book for awhile. I used to read the Grafton ABC series. I forgot how enjoyable it is to read a lighter novel. Truthfully, I loved this little book. It was a magical read, both interesting and fun. I liked the intriguing implications of her gift. Furthermore, the book held my interest and left me feeling good when I turned the last page. What more could you want from a book?
twj