Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Summer Reading Plans?

I've got two babies and writing commitments and ARCs to plow through, but that didn't stop me from going through my TBR pile and joyously pulling books that I've always wanted to read and haven't gotten to.

 

I refuse to let summer going by without finally reading some Stephanie Plum and Eve Dallas!

 

I've also got some non-romance books on the shelf here that I'd like to read...so tell me guys, what do you want to read this summer? Romance and non-romance books apply!

Wordsmith
wheeze
Posts: 331
Registered: ‎05-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

Oy, so my TBR list is up to 88 books. I think that is my main goal for the summer, to read some and not let it continue to grow!! :smileyhappy: I think really I just want to read as much as I can. I am a fast reader, so I brow through books in a day or two, so hopefully I can at least cut that list in half. :smileyhappy:

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

My goal is to work on fiction instead of spending all my waking hours on non-fiction. And my second goal is to TRY and make a dent in my TBR pile!

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
Posts: 1,151
Registered: ‎07-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

I also plan on cutting my TBR pile down. My pile is currently at 80 books and I think I need to stop buying so many so that I can catch up. So trying to catch up on reading is the plan for my summer. I own many romance books but I still like to read YA books every now and then so I have some of those to read as well.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
kmgevans
Posts: 533
Registered: ‎04-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

Likewise, I plan on putting a serious dent into my TBR pile. So far I'm doing pretty good with so much free time on my hands. It just seems like every day I find at least one new book to add to the collection. I plan on finishing the latest novel by Dan Brown, The Lost Symbol . I even pre ordered it and everything and didn't start reading it until I got bored on my lunch breaks at work. It's a fantastic book, and i have about 100 pages left. I just haven't picked it back up. I also plan on reaquainting myself with Mr. Shakespeare. It's been a long time since I've read any of his works. So, lots of romance, a few fiction, and even a cook book or two, I'm feeling adventurous this summer.

Katie
"Death is hereditary. Make sure you enjoy each day before it catches you." Tara Daniels
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

 

Melanie_Murray wrote:

 

 

I refuse to let summer going by without finally reading some Stephanie Plum and Eve Dallas!

 

 

 

What, and you yell at me for not having read Lisa Kleypas. You will love the Plum books and I'm pretty sure you'll like the In Death series too, but not as much as the Plum series

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

Well let me be the first to say that when my pile gets a little low I get nervous, yeah like I'd ever run out of reading material, but hey I'm a read a holic so I'm going to build up my pile this summer, plus read some really great romance,mysteries and paranormal and urban fantasy this summer.

Claire Delaxcoix has two coming out, Susan Wiggs is finally going to tell us Daisy's story but I think that's later in the year, plus she has a stand a lone come out now that I have to read. MJ Rose has The Hypnotist coming out. Plus if I get started I'll never finish listing all of them so just suffice it to say that I'll be in a reading stupor all summer.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

 

dhaupt wrote:

 

Melanie_Murray wrote:

 

 

I refuse to let summer going by without finally reading some Stephanie Plum and Eve Dallas!

 

 

 

What, and you yell at me for not having read Lisa Kleypas. You will love the Plum books and I'm pretty sure you'll like the In Death series too, but not as much as the Plum series

 

 

Debbie - I've been on a binge with Lisa Kleypas' Hathaways for several days now. I think I've read them all now, but I'm not sure. There may be more in the TBR pile! 

 

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
Posts: 2,066
Registered: ‎10-18-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

i have over 200 books in my tbr list...but im hoping to read around 60...

wanna read some books that ive attempted to read, but for some reason or another i didnt finish it

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

 

becke_davis wrote:

 

dhaupt wrote:

 

Melanie_Murray wrote:

 

 

I refuse to let summer going by without finally reading some Stephanie Plum and Eve Dallas!

 

 

 

What, and you yell at me for not having read Lisa Kleypas. You will love the Plum books and I'm pretty sure you'll like the In Death series too, but not as much as the Plum series

 

 

Debbie - I've been on a binge with Lisa Kleypas' Hathaways for several days now. I think I've read them all now, but I'm not sure. There may be more in the TBR pile! 

 

 

 

I know, I keep hearing how great she is, there only so many hours in a day. I still have that one Sugar Daddy on my pile, I promise I will read it before the summer is over.

Just for Melanie

 

Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

+-

dhaupt wrote:

 

becke_davis wrote:

 

dhaupt wrote:

 

Melanie_Murray wrote:

 

 

I refuse to let summer going by without finally reading some Stephanie Plum and Eve Dallas!

 

 

 

What, and you yell at me for not having read Lisa Kleypas. You will love the Plum books and I'm pretty sure you'll like the In Death series too, but not as much as the Plum series

 

 

Debbie - I've been on a binge with Lisa Kleypas' Hathaways for several days now. I think I've read them all now, but I'm not sure. There may be more in the TBR pile! 

 

 

 

I know, I keep hearing how great she is, there only so many hours in a day. I still have that one Sugar Daddy on my pile, I promise I will read it before the summer is over.

Just for Melanie

 

 

Oooh! Deb! Just for me? Awesome! And I will read something for you. You pick! We'll meet here to discuss. :smileywink:

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

 

Melanie_Murray wrote:

+-

dhaupt wrote:

 

becke_davis wrote:

 

dhaupt wrote:

 

Melanie_Murray wrote:

 

 

I refuse to let summer going by without finally reading some Stephanie Plum and Eve Dallas!

 

 

 

What, and you yell at me for not having read Lisa Kleypas. You will love the Plum books and I'm pretty sure you'll like the In Death series too, but not as much as the Plum series

 

 

Debbie - I've been on a binge with Lisa Kleypas' Hathaways for several days now. I think I've read them all now, but I'm not sure. There may be more in the TBR pile! 

 

 

 

I know, I keep hearing how great she is, there only so many hours in a day. I still have that one Sugar Daddy on my pile, I promise I will read it before the summer is over.

Just for Melanie

 

 

Oooh! Deb! Just for me? Awesome! And I will read something for you. You pick! We'll meet here to discuss. :smileywink:

 

 

Ok, Melanie. Have you read Susan Wiggs Just Breathe?

 

Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

Deb - No! I haven't and it's right in the TBR! I need an excuse to dig it out!

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

 

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Deb - No! I haven't and it's right in the TBR! I need an excuse to dig it out!

 

 

Ok sister you're on. I'll have Sugar Daddy read by the end of August.

And you are gonna LOVE Just Breathe, if you remember from out favorite books thread it was my favorite book of all time, so far.

Moderator
Melanie_Murray
Posts: 3,511
Registered: ‎11-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

 

dhaupt wrote:

 

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Deb - No! I haven't and it's right in the TBR! I need an excuse to dig it out!

 

 

Ok sister you're on. I'll have Sugar Daddy read by the end of August.

And you are gonna LOVE Just Breathe, if you remember from out favorite books thread it was my favorite book of all time, so far.

 

I'm loving this! We're giving each other assignments.

 

Wordsmith
wheeze
Posts: 331
Registered: ‎05-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

Cheyenne_Catina wrote:

i have over 200 books in my tbr list...but im hoping to read around 60...

wanna read some books that ive attempted to read, but for some reason or another i didnt finish it

 

Oh I make steal your idea to attempt some books I have set beside before. Usually I don't have enough time to read them before the due date at the library, or I just have my mind set on reading something else. I may have to venture out on this one!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

 

Melanie_Murray wrote:

Deb - No! I haven't and it's right in the TBR! I need an excuse to dig it out!

 

I bought it on Deb's recommendation. Need to get it out of the TBR pile!

 

Scribe
ReadingPatti
Posts: 2,530
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

Melanie_Murray, I am going to read a bunch of library books. Then I want to put a dent in my own books. Probably a small one. I also will be going to Camp Hill, Pa for the Wade Fest for a weekend. I need it. It will be fun with my friends from my club.

 

I am also in a reading challenge on Shelfari for the summer. I want to work on that too. I am hoping that I can combine that with the reading I want to do.

 

I think I may keep track of  the romances I read this summer.

 

ReadingPatti

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
Posts: 848
Registered: ‎08-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

Hi Everyone - I've enjoyed reading this thread - When I first started reading it, I decided that my intention for the summer would be to TRY to make a BIG dent in my TBR shelf in the closet, and then make a dent in the 83 books that I have on my Kindle. However......the more I read of this thread, I kept finding books to add to my list - I "found" Susan Wiggs this winter and I'm seriously waiting for Daisy's book. I don't think I've read Just Breathe, so that got added to the list. There are also some really good books coming out soon, so they'll get added (Oh well, so much for the dent !! :smileyhappy:) Happy Reading...

 

Anne

Scribe
ReadingPatti
Posts: 2,530
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Summer Reading Plans?

1AnneB, I know how you feel. Just when I think my library books are down, more come. I am just addicted. I really do hope to make a little dent, if I can.

 

Working on the craft store on the island. Have you visit First Look and Party Central on Mystery club. We have so much fun there.

 

ReadingPatti